EJC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Best route mount Elden in Flagstaff ?

Which is the better route beginning at the Schultz creek trailhead ? Mount Elden lookout road -> Sunset trail -> Shultz creek trail OR the route described in Fat Tire where you turn from Sunset trail onto Upper Brookbank -> Little Gnarly trail -> Schultz creek trail?

Are the trails well marked ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Both are good. Sunset to Shultz is scary fast and Upper Brookbank is more technical with lots of roots and rocks. Legit FS trails are well marked. Have fun.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EJC
    Which is the better route beginning at the Schultz creek trailhead ? Mount Elden lookout road -> Sunset trail -> Shultz creek trail OR the route described in Fat Tire where you turn from Sunset trail onto Upper Brookbank -> Little Gnarly trail -> Schultz creek trail?

Are the trails well marked ?
    The better route is to stay on Sunset when you reach the Brookbank junction. You will have to climb a few hundred yards before you head downhill about 1.5 miles to Schultz Tank. There will be another well signed junction where you will want to go straight about a quarter mile before you get to the top of Schultz Creek Trail. Because of the Schultz fire you probably couldn't turn down Little Elden even if you wanted to, same as Little Bear, when you pass by it heading down Sunset. When you climb Elden Lookout Road, you'll be looking for the trail (Upper Oldham) that crosses the road and heads uphill to your left, about 200 feet to where it turns left onto Sunset Trail. Some people climb further up the road and then getonto a much less maintained section of trail that runs downhill to this spot.

The main problem with taking Upper Brookbank over to Little Gnarly is the transition from one trail to the other, at the end of Upper Brookbank. There are two routes and both are in really bad condition. Plus, Little Gnarly is more like riding down a badly eroded road, compared to the nice Sunset single track.

last three...

Domestic Scene by The Radio Dept.
    I'll Take Us Home by Matt and Kim
    The Calculation by Regina Spektor

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    ..or cross over shultz pass road to the moto trails from the tank.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Ahhh the pain....
    My favorite is...
    Start at bottom of Schultz creek...
    Up shultz creek
    Up little gnarly
    Down Lower Brookbank
    Up Eldon Lookout Road
    Down Sunset to Schultz pass
    Across the parking lot to Secret
    Secret to FR 522 back to Shultz pass
    down Shultz creek

unless you like drops and chunky stuff, secret west of FR 522 and Super moto north of pipeline are probably worth avoiding. Also, on dales map, the trail called "weenie walk" isn't too much of a trail and I was walking a SS on it most of the way.

If someone has a favorite route SS friendly, I'd love to hear it!
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

inebriate savant
    I'll second that, the SS route request!

I'll be heading out to Flag next weekend, and was going to ask about what closures there might be from the fires. Anyone got any info they can impart on me?

I rode a number of the Schultz/Elden trails a few years ago, but am stoked to be getting back out there for a couple days. Last time I was on the FS bike, but since then I've been pretty much into SSing. Any reason that I should consider not taking that bike? From what I remember, there wasn't anything that I feel like I shouldn't be able to handle with it.

Stoked to be heading east!
    "When life gives you lemons...say f@%k it, and bail"

mtbr member
    May 2007

Give me a shout

Quote Originally Posted by jasonmason
    I'll second that, the SS route request!

I'll be heading out to Flag next weekend, and was going to ask about what closures there might be from the fires. Anyone got any info they can impart on me?

I rode a number of the Schultz/Elden trails a few years ago, but am stoked to be getting back out there for a couple days. Last time I was on the FS bike, but since then I've been pretty much into SSing. Any reason that I should consider not taking that bike? From what I remember, there wasn't anything that I feel like I shouldn't be able to handle with it.

Stoked to be heading east!
    JM, PM with your trip details and maybe we can meet up for a ride...........might be as cool as the Sedona ride we did in March

Ahhh the pain....
    I think just about all the mt eldon and ft valley trails are good on a SS. Some are "directionally" good... I've been riding a SS for 3 months and hence use a 32x21 up there which seems good. I'm sure you could get away with a more manly gear, especially if you've been riding it a lot.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/