Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Shred...it's the new drug
    Reputation: latedropbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,846

    Best Pinetop/Lakeside trails for kids and dads

    Heading up for fathers day and want to take little dude on some flowy smooth singletrack. Which trail should I take him on? thanks team!

  2. #2
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,780
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob View Post
    Heading up for fathers day and want to take little dude on some flowy smooth singletrack. Which trail should I take him on? thanks team!
    right in town...might be tough as nothing iirc is smooth. Maybe parts of Country Club. Probably not Spring Trail or Blue Ridge both are very rocky ala the McDs - some sections, but I think he'd have to fight to get to them and also there are parts with big pitches. The park with the lake in it (forget the name) has some mups.

  3. #3
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,033
    give Country Club a try. It's a 4 mile loop with moderate climbing at the beginning if going CW. Nothing is super buff smooth as it's a volcanic playground up there..and this trail has it's rocky sections, but is fairly level.

    For a easy family ride go to Woodland Lake Park right in town. There is a complete loop around the lake that is paved with a little covered bridge crossing..great for real young kids, bring bread to feed the ducks if you got little ones around. On the northwest side of the lake you can go ride some real real easy dirt walking/singletrack paths. They extend to other trail systems but you can just ride out a mile and back.

    I took my kids around the lake when they were 4/5 years old-ish and my son enjoyed CC a lot when he was maybe 11 or 12 so.

  4. #4
    white mountains
    Reputation: WM-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    give Country Club a try. It's a 4 mile loop with moderate climbing at the beginning if going CW. Nothing is super buff smooth as it's a volcanic playground up there..and this trail has it's rocky sections, but is fairly level.

    For a easy family ride go to Woodland Lake Park right in town. There is a complete loop around the lake that is paved with a little covered bridge crossing..great for real young kids, bring bread to feed the ducks if you got little ones around. On the northwest side of the lake you can go ride some real real easy dirt walking/singletrack paths. They extend to other trail systems but you can just ride out a mile and back.

    I took my kids around the lake when they were 4/5 years old-ish and my son enjoyed CC a lot when he was maybe 11 or 12 so.
    I concur....

  5. #5
    Shred...it's the new drug
    Reputation: latedropbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,846
    We've done country club...he's not your normal 5 year old He can keep up with me on Desert Classic...even the chunky stuff. Just looking for some fun bits of twisty trail. Don't mind CC but looking for something new. Was thinking heading to los burros and finding fun there. just checking if there's some other good stuff out there. what about the ice caves trail? Thanks for responses!

  6. #6
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,033

    Re: Best Pinetop/Lakeside trails for kids and dads

    Well heck, if he can do Country Club then you might have a good time out of los burros. You won't be able to do the entire thing with him of course. But if you head out in a counterclockwise direction the first few miles are relatively flat and head to some beautiful meadow lands. You could always ride out in the counter clockwise direction as far as you want, basically until the hard climb starts, and then turn around and come back. That place is really beautiful.

    Its bear country, not a big deal but just be aware.

  7. #7
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,780
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob View Post
    We've done country club...he's not your normal 5 year old He can keep up with me on Desert Classic...even the chunky stuff. Just looking for some fun bits of twisty trail. Don't mind CC but looking for something new. Was thinking heading to los burros and finding fun there. just checking if there's some other good stuff out there. what about the ice caves trail? Thanks for responses!
    ice cave is very chunky, also goes straight down. the cave is not very scenic. I would try Spring Trail. A few spots he'll walk but its fun, twisty, in town, near water.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    44
    You could check out panorama. Ride it ccw or i like to do an out an back on the fun part. los burros just do the short loop the down hill on the short cut is fun.

  9. #9
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,033

    Re: Best Pinetop/Lakeside trails for kids and dads

    Quote Originally Posted by wolverine85929 View Post
    . los burros just do the short loop the down hill on the short cut is fun.
    For a 5 year old??

    I think it's highly unlikely he could even make it up to the short cut, much less down it.

  10. #10
    Shred...it's the new drug
    Reputation: latedropbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,846
    my mistake...after looking at the TRACKS page we did the springs trail. we'll try country club this weekend thanks crew! Hope all you dads get to shred with your kids this weekend...

  11. #11
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,033

    Re: Best Pinetop/Lakeside trails for kids and dads

    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob View Post
    my mistake...after looking at the TRACKS page we did the springs trail. we'll try country club this weekend thanks crew! Hope all you dads get to shred with your kids this weekend...
    No matter what you'll have a great time. Nothing beats hanging out with the kids in the trees.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azorr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    311
    Be warned that the first couple miles of Los Burros have been torn up pretty bad by logging activity. Went out there over memorial day weekend and there isn't much of about the first 3 miles of trail left. This was starting at Trailhead 1 and going counter clockwise. I recommend taking the shortcut to bypass that mess.

  13. #13
    Shred...it's the new drug
    Reputation: latedropbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,846
    Had a good ride with the kid today on the lower half of country club. We rode east to the chipmunk connector for a few mile and then back. Good smooth bits, some chunky fun stuff. Nothing too over the top. We'll try the whole loop next time. Great day to be on the bike with my son.

Similar Threads

  1. kids trails
    By roguehoe in forum Trail Building and Advocacy
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-16-2013, 01:19 PM
  2. Vacation In Pinetop
    By mrjustin007 in forum Arizona
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-19-2013, 04:55 PM
  3. Los Burros, Pinetop, AZ
    By Evil Patrick in forum Passion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-22-2012, 08:34 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2012, 02:16 PM
  5. Scott's Flat Trail Improvements (Lakeside)
    By memine in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 10:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •