Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Best one day Sedona ride

Been off the bike awhile and haven't rode Sedona in a few years. I know there are a lot of new trails. Going to be up there next sat and was looking for a good trail to ride. I ride a 6" AM bike.

Edit. I would like to try hi line and HOH. How do you connect the two and are they marked now?

Huffy Rider
    Hiline is marked, High on the hog is not and it can be difficult to find and navigate, even with precise directions. You connect the two by tons of uphill pedaling, depending on where you start and your exact route, expect no less then 15+ miles, in very technical, challenging terrain. If you have been off the bike for a while, might not want to try both in the same day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Ok. So what else can you suggest after HL?

Huffy Rider
    Hiline from Bike n bean and back is 13-14 miles. There are several different routes to get you back after you get up the Templeton switchbacks. Easy Breezy if you want it easy, or Templeton to Slim Shady if you like a little more tech, just 2 suggestions. There is also HT up to Little Horse to Llama for more miles and tech. If you haven't been riding much, just doing Hiline from BnB and back is a good solid ride, especially since it will still be warm.

mtbr member
    Spot on, motochick.

Starting @ BnB:

Slim Shady to Highline to Baldwin to Templeton to Easy Breezy to Slim Shady to BnB

If you've been off the bike too long, that ride might gut you. But it's a great route.

As motochick suggested, and if you aren't punked by the end of Easy Breezy, you could take HT to Little Horse to Llama and if you're gutted by then, take Bell Rock...otherwise, cross 179 and hit Slim Shady to get back to BnB.

You could actually start w/ the Made in the Shade loop, but that's got even more tech moves on it than Slim.
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Are slim shady and easy breezy marked now or will I need dales map?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Both trails are marked.

-db-

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    You can go to Skidmap.com and get the map intel for free or you can download the whole Sedona map on your Iphone (Get Maps | Avenza PDF Maps) or you can just look at the attached jpeg and find your way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best one day Sedona ride-eazy-breezy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Awesome. Thanks guys. Can't wait

mtbr member
    I know this has probably been beaten like a dead horse...but what about a big loop in the northwest area of sedona... I actually prefer that area
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    I know this has probably been beaten like a dead horse...but what about a big loop in the northwest area of sedona... I actually prefer that area
    I agree with your preference. I just completed a loop out there an hour ago. The trails were in great shape with the exception of Plumber's Crack.

We rode To Girdner to Girdner to Snake to OK Alternate to OK to Dawa to Boynton Canyon Rd. to Aerie to Cockscomb to Western Civ to Last Frontier to Girdner to Easy Rider to Plumber's Crack to Coyote Lane to Color Cove Rd. to Dry Creek Rd. to Lizardhead to To Girdner.

All those trails and roads are on the IPhone app or the free Skidmap database which includes videos of those trails and elevation profiles. You can use the Create My Route button in Skidmap to build that same loop and create your own GPS track if you use a GPS.

The weather was perfect and there was a gaggle of Ravens squawking away while soaring over the Cockcomb formation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMtnBiker View Post
    I agree with your preference. I just completed a loop out there an hour ago. The trails were in great shape with the exception of Plumber's Crack.

We rode To Girdner to Girdner to Snake to OK Alternate to OK to Dawa to Boynton Canyon Rd. to Aerie to Cockscomb to Western Civ to Last Frontier to Girdner to Easy Rider to Plumber's Crack to Coyote Lane to Color Cove Rd. to Dry Creek Rd. to Lizardhead to To Girdner.

All those trails and roads are on the IPhone app or the free Skidmap database which includes videos of those trails and elevation profiles. You can use the Create My Route button in Skidmap to build that same loop and create your own GPS track if you use a GPS.

The weather was perfect and there was a gaggle of Ravens squawking away while soaring over the Cockcomb formation.

Thanks for that ! I rode Girdner one time from the main road north.. I didn't care for all that canyon rock climbing... thanks !

mtbr member
    How isn't Hangover down to Munds not mentioned? I thought that was pretty damn fun personally. Great views, challenging.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    How isn't Hangover down to Munds not mentioned? I thought that was pretty damn fun personally. Great views, challenging.
    That's another fun very challenging ride so if your looking for something technical Hangover (northeast) is much more challenging than what you find in the northwest, except for Last Frontier (west section) which has some shorter technical sections.

mtbr member
    I rode
    If you must ride a trail that cuts through private property, you should keep it to yourself. Your posting of riding trails that are questionably legal and/or flat out illegal and trespassing for the masses to follow your lead doesn't help out the image of mountain bikers in our community, let alone a certain little neighborhood filled with equestrians.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    If you must ride a trail that cuts through private property, you should keep it to yourself. Your posting of riding trails that are questionably legal and/or flat out illegal and trespassing for the masses to follow your lead doesn't help out the image of mountain bikers in our community, let alone a certain little neighborhood filled with equestrians.
    Your right it's kind of like driving exactly 1 mph over the speed limit or driving after visiting a brewery.

I have never heard of anyone ever being cited for riding on the pavement. Some people just hate mountain bikers for some unknown reason. Maybe they didn't ride a bike as a kid and they are jealous of others who can.

Personally I would always stop for equestrians, and the last time I saw a horse out of it's corral on the pavement was over ten years ago. The rider appreciated the courtesy I showed him and thanked me for being considerate.

mtbr member

Sedon NW jeep roads, mix in to make big loop ??

ok back to Sedona NW questions...

I want to create a big loop that would include some jeep roads West of FR525 and single track East of FR525 (south of Boynton pass road)...

The jeep road section would be 525C north to 9549 north to 9551 north to 525 (Loy Canyon Trailhead) south on 525 back to Boynton Pass road and back on single track at Aerie/Cockscomb trailhead....

Coming back would be Girdner to 9513. I am almost certain 9513 goes all the way from 525 past Girdner and then onto a housing development in West Sedona.

Anyone know anything about these jeep roads ? Navigable ? I already have a good idea about what singletrack I want to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best one day Sedona ride-roadsnwsedona.jpg  

banned
    Jul 2013

I want to create a big loop that would include some jeep roads West of FR525 and single track East of FR525 (south of Boynton pass road)...

The jeep road section would be 525C north to 9549 north to 9551 north to 525 (Loy Canyon Trailhead) south on 525 back to Boynton Pass road and back on single track at Aerie/Cockscomb trailhead....

Coming back would be Girdner to 9513. I am almost certain 9513 goes all the way from 525 past Girdner and then onto a housing development in West Sedona.

Anyone know anything about these jeep roads ? Navigable ? I already have a good idea about what singletrack I want to do.
    Not sure what you mean by navigable, do mean are they signed well? Not sure what you are looking to do out there, if you want to ride a bunch of jeep roads then hook-up to some mountain bike trails, that is all doable.

What is your ultimate dream of what you want accomplish. I would like to help you with that dream from the singletrack part after you end up riding all the fireroads.

mtbr member
    Not sure what you mean by navigable, do mean are they signed well? Not sure what you are looking to do out there, if you want to ride a bunch of jeep roads then hook-up to some mountain bike trails, that is all doable.

What is your ultimate dream of what you want accomplish. I would like to help you with that dream from the singletrack part after you end up riding all the fireroads.
    navigable meaning is there hike-a-bike involved.. and also are they signed well ? I just want a really long ride with a lot of miles in the NW sedona area... that is my dream. It seems like a pretty simple task.

banned
    Jul 2013
    navigable meaning is there hike-a-bike involved.. and also are they signed well ? I just want a really long ride with a lot of miles in the NW sedona area... that is my dream. It seems like a pretty simple task.
    The terrain in that area is not very steep so I don't think there would be much hike-a-bike. Signage might be an issue as well as some sandy sections off the 525. Tell me what roads you want to take and I will go out an drive the route and let you know how rideable it is. I can gps the route and put it onto my gps which has the whole Skidmap trail database of the mountain bike trail system.

If you need to borrow my gps so you don't get lost I will loan it to you.

mtbr member

All those roads are signed well with the classic 4" wide brown FS signposts.

9549 and 9551 wouldn't be too hard to ride but there are 2 or 3 Jeep tour companies that run tours on those trails, so plan on running into Jeeps.

9513 Does exactly what your map shows. It doesn't go into town. There are 4 massive hills on it that are kind of fun in a Jeep, but I wouldn't want to ride it. If you ride it East to West, you'll descend the steeper hills and climb the more gradual ones. Again, be on the lookout for tour and rental Jeeps.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Huffy Rider
    Back to our regularly scheduled program....my buddy and I will be riding Hiline Sat as well, what time will you be heading out?

Closekids.com
    How can one discuss the NW loop without Mescal???
    Here is what I think is the NW EPIC loop.
    Sedona NW EPIC by boomingsooner at Garmin Connect - Details

But you can't go wrong out there. One of my favorite places on earth!
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    All those roads are signed well with the classic 4" wide brown FS signposts.

9549 and 9551 wouldn't be too hard to ride but there are 2 or 3 Jeep tour companies that run tours on those trails, so plan on running into Jeeps.

9513 Does exactly what your map shows. It doesn't go into town. There are 4 massive hills on it that are kind of fun in a Jeep, but I wouldn't want to ride it. If you ride it East to West, you'll descend the steeper hills and climb the more gradual ones. Again, be on the lookout for tour and rental Jeeps.
    thanks so much for your reply.

Whats the road on this map that goes west out from BristleConepine road... it appears this road goes all the way to 525
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best one day Sedona ride-bristlecone.jpg  

mtbr member
    thanks so much for your reply.

Whats the road on this map that goes west out from BristleConepine road... it appears this road goes all the way to 525
    9513 is a gas line service road but is gated at the "intersection" of 152. That is the original route of the road but has long been closed between FR152 and Bristlecone. I bet that it is ridable, as the gas company tends to cut everything down 10' on either side of the gas line. I haven't been out that section of the trail before so I can't really help out more on that one...
    - Julie Furtado

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast