mtbr member

Best Flagstaff neighborhood for out the door riding

I live in Phoenix and am getting sick of the heat I am looking to rent a place for a long weekend (and possibly for a month next summer) up in Flagstaff. I want to be able to ride my bike out the front door so I can leave the car with the wife and kids. Close to town is a plus.

I have ridden there only a few times, every time meeting at the lot at the base of Mt.Elden road and Schultz. Looking at the trail map this looks like a good location. With a few rentals right there and a few in Cheshire

From looking at a trail map and neighborhood map it looks like you ca easily take Pipeline trail from Shadow Mountain and Swiss Manor neighborhoods but these are further from downtown.

So is Cheshire my best bet or do people have any other suggestions. Are there better trailheads with housing close by and still close to town?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    I live in Phoenix and am getting sick of the heat I am looking to rent a place for a long weekend (and possibly for a month next summer) up in Flagstaff. I want to be able to ride my bike out the front door so I can leave the car with the wife and kids. Close to town is a plus.

I have ridden there only a few times, every time meeting at the lot at the base of Mt.Elden road and Schultz. Looking at the trail map this looks like a good location. With a few rentals right there and a few in Cheshire

From looking at a trail map and neighborhood map it looks like you ca easily take Pipeline trail from Shadow Mountain and Swiss Manor neighborhoods but these are further from downtown.

So is Cheshire my best bet or do people have any other suggestions. Are there better trailheads with housing close by and still close to town?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    A home in the shire is the envy of every mt biker in flag.

My other ride is your mom
    ....or, look to eastside just north of Mike and Rhonda's....easy access to Elden as well....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    2nd the Shire

mtbr member
    I've lived all over Flag and by far the Shire is the best spot for out the door riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I can't argue against Cheshire, it is an obvious choice. North of the Hospital (NoHo) suits me just fine. ValleyCrest(opposite side of highway as Cheshire and that much closer to the Y) is worth a look as well.

mtbr member
    Thanks! Weekend 2012, summer rental 2013, vacation home 2014? I can dream. Now I need the time / money and wife approval.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I live in Valleycrest, and it is better than the 'shire. Hehehehe... I think you'd have a pretty hard time finding a short term rental in Valleycrest, it's mostly working folks and a couple retirees, and a bunch of mountain bikers. However, I might consider renting my house to you for an absurd amount of money and other considerations...

Start checking VRBO. I know there are several VRBO's in the NoHo neighborhood, access is a breeze right up Elks Lodge trail to the Dry Lake Hills area, and Elden area.
    And really, you can't go wrong in the Coconino Estates area, the older neighborhood along Ft. Valley Rd. And the trailhead at the end of Paradise Rd. is a nice place to start too.

Sexy Mother Fakir
    Put down another vote for Ho-Hill. Elks Lodge trail is right there or if you're feelin' frisky you can roll Wake-Up trail.

mtbr member
    Cant find Elks Lodge trail on any tail maps or google. Does anyone have a link to a map?

No mames guey
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    Cant find Elks Lodge trail on any tail maps or google. Does anyone have a link to a map?
    It is social trail from the end of N. San Francisco St. and won't be on any map. Just look for the Elks Lodge on google maps and follow it north. It crosses private property and occasionally a fence goes up across it. It usually takes about 24 hours for the fences to come down.

pedaller
    Any neighborhood in Flagstaff.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

slower than you
    in my time in FLG (since 1991) i've lived near NAU (behind the old bus station and the flamingo motel), in the old historic section of downtown (at the church apts on cherry), in a featureless cracker-box cockroach-breeder in continental, in a fine expansive house on cherry hill, in a comfortable townhouse in sunnyside, and in valley crest.

valley crest wins.
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    in my time in FLG (since 1991) i've lived near NAU (behind the old bus station and the flamingo motel), in the old historic section of downtown (at the church apts on cherry), in a featureless cracker-box cockroach-breeder in continental, in a fine expansive house on cherry hill, in a comfortable townhouse in sunnyside, and in valley crest.

valley crest wins.

I didn't know you moved again. I was sure you were going to try to convince us that Sunnyslope was a great neighborhood. Sort of like some guy on another thread who tried to convince someone asking where to move to ride that isn't hot, that he should consider Phoenix because you can't ride in Flagstaff because of all the rain and snow.

I almost posted pictures of our back yard, and how we simply swing the gate open and begin riding on trails leading to Christmas Tree Trail. It's a perfect location for us, backing up to the forest. I get to run and ride and walk the dogs on a variety of trails, with not a moment spent on sidewalks leading to the forest. My buddy Ron and I have these trails so dialed in, we only have to trim back the oak growing along the base on Elden. I can start a ride and be on Little Bear in less than five miles. Who else can say that?

On the other hand, we'll trade homes with anyone in Valley Crest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigal Son View Post
    I didn't know you moved again. I was sure you were going to try to convince us that Sunnyslope was a great neighborhood. Sort of like some guy on another thread who tried to convince someone asking where to move to ride that isn't hot, that he should consider Phoenix because you can't ride in Flagstaff because of all the rain and snow.

I almost posted pictures of our back yard, and how we simply swing the gate open and begin riding on trails leading to Christmas Tree Trail. It's a perfect location for us, backing up to the forest. I get to run and ride and walk the dogs on a variety of trails, with not a moment spent on sidewalks leading to the forest. My buddy Ron and I have these trails so dialed in, we only have to trim back the oak growing along the base on Elden. I can start a ride and be on Little Bear in less than five miles. Who else can say that?

On the other hand, we'll trade homes with anyone in Valley Crest.
    I helped him move. We needed a separate run just for the 14 or 15 bikes, including the 1987 Rock Lobster that's in it's own hyperbaric preservation chamber. Valley Crest is too close. There's no time for a warm up. The shire is the hood to have.

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I helped him move. We needed a separate run just for the 14 or 15 bikes, including the 1987 Rock Lobster that's in it's own hyperbaric preservation chamber. Valley Crest is too close. There's no time for a warm up. The shire is the hood to have.
    Because that extra 1000 yards and the crossing of 180 is the key to a proper warmup....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Because that extra 1000 yards and the crossing of 180 is the key to a proper warmup....
    Well, yes of course. The extra 0.5 miles is key. However, since we sold our house in The Shire I'm just jealous.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Proximity to Little Bear

Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigal Son View Post
    I can start a ride and be on Little Bear in less than five miles. Who else can say that?
    I live in Timberline. No way can I claim that this is the best neighborhood for mountain biking but I can probably claim five miles or less to Little Bear. I've never clocked it but FS6064D to the Deer Hill Trail, Deer Hill to Little Elden, Little Elden to Little Bear has got to be close to five miles or less.

This is definitely the best neighborhood for flooding though, so we've got that going for us.

This may also be the best nieghborhood for mountain biking potential, we have the terrain and topography, we just lack the trails.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone,I just booked a rental for labor day wknd on Mt Elden road. But I could definitely see myself renting next summer, appreciate the continued input. I have been studying VRBO, Zillow, trail maps, neighborhood maps, MUP trails, google eArth and most importantly MTBR. This Phoenix heat wave SUCKS too hot to ride, so researching places to ride must suffice

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    i`ll be there also,lhc is way to friggin hot to ride. 3 days of heaven!!!!!!!