Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I am Bob

Best double down SoMo route

Last winter I set out to find the best 4 hour or so route at SoMo that includes the best climbs and at least 2 killer descents. I posted some GPS data and titled the threads "backyard epics." There are a few really cool routes in those threads, but I think I found the winner over the weekend. It's obvious and I think the reason I didn't try it before was due distraction from the new trails in the West side of the mountain. Those trails are cool, but don't really define the the South Mountain experience like the route below.

I have no data. I forgot the GPS. I do have an iPhone photo of Dgangi looking macho on Holbert though. I'll also include a photo of Estelle Getty.

Here's the route... It took us about 4.5 hours. We didn't take too many breaks and didn't have any mechanicals. This could easily be an all day route with a big group. I might host this for a Spring Fling route when the dates are determined. This would be a great A-ride for an out-of-towner looking for the best of SoMo in one day.

Up Ranger> up/down National to Telegraph Pass>up Summit Rd> up Holbert> down National to Buena Vista> Gerinimo!!!> up 24st (Mormon)> up National> down Holbert and back to the car at the SoMo Education Center

Observations:
    1. F'ing fun route!
    2. The Summit Rd section between BV and the bottom of Upper Holbert is really quick. Quit your whining
    3. The descent from the the National Ridge line down to Telegraph pass is crazy fun and almost should count as a 3rd descent (not quite long enough).
    4. Do It!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best double down SoMo route-gangiholbert.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Got a suspension fork
    I'm a course by GPS sort a guy, if anybody does this please post a link to the GPS, I'd love to follow it.

Nice work guys, and Estelle.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

I am Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    I'm a course by GPS sort a guy, if anybody does this please post a link to the GPS, I'd love to follow it.

Nice work guys, and Estelle.
    I haven't ridden with you before, but I think you'd like this route based on your posts and I have some data on it.
    It's a great loop that gets on the dark side of SoMo. It feels like a different park on that side of the mountain. I'm probably going to do this route again some time soon.
    Last backyard epic post from me this season

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman View Post
    I haven't ridden with you before, but I think you'd like this route based on your posts and I have some data on it.
    It's a great loop that gets on the dark side of SoMo. It feels like a different park on that side of the mountain. I'm probably going to do this route again some time soon.
    I'll check out that backyard post. I don't get down to SoMo nearly enough. Really, DC, Mormon, National, and Telegraph are the only trails I know - that and hitting the Tv Towers on Silent Sunday. You guys hit more chunk than I do, but it's good to go out of your comfort zone now and again.

I am Bob
    I'll check out that backyard post. I don't get down to SoMo nearly enough. Really, DC, Mormon, National, and Telegraph are the only trails I know - that and hitting the Tv Towers on Silent Sunday. You guys hit more chunk than I do, but it's good to go out of your comfort zone now and again.
    This route is not too chunky. By the "dark side" i mean more remote. The descent down 620 is pretty steep, but the rest is more XC.
    It's good stuff.

parenting for gnarness
    This route is not too chunky. By the "dark side" i mean more remote. The descent down 620 is pretty steep, but the rest is more XC.
    It's good stuff.
    rode 620 for the 2nd time this past weekend. My switchbacking got better in one ride, and I'm pretty good at switchbacks already. That trail makes you focus on all your switchback technique, but I had it dialed by the end. Way tougher imo than any other comparable 'non-techy' descents - Tom's thumb, East End, Tower Trail, etc. I thought the switchbacks on 620 were harder than Geronimo, Holbert, 24th too, assuming chunk per-se doesn't bother you. Alta is about the only thing on the mtn where the switchbacks were harder imo (but I have not ridden OLA).

Shred...it's the new drug
    OLA has some impossible switchies...corona has some sweet bermed out ones.

Pivotal figure
    I like that route Bob! I'd be down for a steady pace ride once the "Resolution" crowds dissipate a bit. For now I'm hanging out more on the West end, although that's becoming a bit more popular now as well.... I actually saw people all the way across Bursera and on Gila (?)...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Fragile - must be Italian
    As Bob said...this is one fun route! In fact, I came home that afternoon and couldn't stop talking about it. My wife thought I was crazy. She said "ya, but you rode everything on that route already so what made it so great?". My reply to her was that I've never ridden it all at one time, and that's what made it so fun.

Plus going down Holbert when you're totally pooped adds another dimension to that trail!

This would be a great Spring Fling A-ride.

Thx...Doug

No Clue Crew
    Here's the route... It took us about 4.5 hours.
    I have a feeling this would take much longer than 4.5 hours for a "normal" person.

Up Ranger> up/down National to Telegraph Pass>up Summit Rd> up Holbert> down National to Buena Vista> Gerinimo!!!> up 24st (Mormon)> up National> down Holbert and back to the car at the SoMo Education Center
    Sweet Jesus... Man, that'd kill me. Definitely would have to start early 'cause I might be out there a while.

Why skip a mile of National and ride the road? It might be just a little over a mile but my brief experience is that I will never ride a section of road again if there's an alternative.

Nice route, though. Not for the faint of heart for sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Sounds great. I have ridden (and hiked, hiked-a-bike) every trail on south mountain and enjoy finding 'new' routes like this.
    I think this is what you described above...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best double down SoMo route-somo-suggested-trail-highlight-reduce.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    see if this one is a little clearer...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best double down SoMo route-somo-suggested-trail-highlight-reduce2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It's good stuff.
    Chongoman, when you say 620 are you talking about Bursera (or maybe Pyrmid)? I rode Bursera again today and then the little trail in the valley (maybe that is Gila? - not on the SoMo park map). Wish they had not made the trails so wide, but like it overall. Some good long climbs that are do-able.

I was thinking about going from classic, up telegraph, up national heading west and then coming down Bursera back to desert classic. Anyone done this?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Chongoman, I figured out which trail you mean by 620. It is the same for the Pyrmid trail - found it on another thread. (I do understand that 620 comes from the 620 acres).

I am Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post

Why skip a mile of National and ride the road? It might be just a little over a mile but my brief experience is that I will never ride a section of road again if there's an alternative.

I have ridden (walked) that section of National in that direction one time and have no interest in doing it again. It's loose, steep and nasty and sucks the energy out of you. Not fun IMO.

I am Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by bikestok View Post
    see if this one is a little clearer...
    Thanks for the graphic. That's it!

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    I have a feeling this would take much longer than 4.5 hours for a "normal" person.

Sweet Jesus... Man, that'd kill me. Definitely would have to start early 'cause I might be out there a while.

Nice route, though. Not for the faint of heart for sure.
    Have you been on that section Mike? It's fun in the west (down) direction, tons of rock steps, loose. While I would normally always take a trail over a road, if my goal were to get back to Buena Vista I would definitely take the road instead of working my way up that trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have ridden (walked) that section of National in that direction one time and have no interest in doing it again. It's loose, steep and nasty and sucks the energy out of you. Not fun IMO.
    Yep, I hate that section too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikestok View Post
    Chongoman, I figured out which trail you mean by 620. It is the same for the Pyrmid trail - found it on another thread. (I do understand that 620 comes from the 620 acres).
    I love riding up the "Pyramid". Some of the switchbacks are not make able by me or a really good team mate of mine but they are fun to try! That trail is the toughest I've ever ridden. I feel that it's harder than the hardest section of TT. I always go back for more

parenting for gnarness
    +1, but mike is kinda a purist. Do Natty c2c2c and let us know how that works for ya

No Clue Crew
    Have you been on that section Mike? It's fun in the west (down) direction, tons of rock steps, loose. While I would normally always take a trail over a road, if my goal were to get back to Buena Vista I would definitely take the road instead of working my way up that trail.
    Nope...

I know it's safe to say that pretty much everyone on this board is a stronger rider than me. Never ridden with Chongo or Cholla but I know if Randy says a section of trail sucks the life outta you I'm certain you'd find my corpse along that section of trail if I dared to ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    +1, but mike is kinda a purist. Do Natty c2c2c and let us know how that works for ya
    I try to be not for "purists" sake but simply because EVERY time I've ridden a road it has completely sucked huge donkey balls. So, when I see someone recommend a section of asphalt I immediately get the taste of donkey balls in my mouth and have to fight off the urge to vomit.

If you guys say the road is the best route, I'll believe you. That's why I asked

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I always like that section (but their is a lot of hiking). My lovely spouse votes for the road each time, so we do that most often. The road is a good crank up.

My other ride is your mom
    let me know when sometime soon is.....thurs or friday I have off....

I am Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    let me know when sometime soon is.....thurs or friday I have off....
    Okeedokee. I'll try to get one of those days off next week. I'll keep you posted.

My other ride is your mom
    Next week I have thurs and Sat off....Thursday will have to be the day since I'm doing a little ride on Saturday 1 Antelope Peak Challenge | Arizona Endurance Series

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast