Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best big volume single ply front tire for desert gnar.

I've got a worn out Nev 2.1 on the back so I'm going to switch the Pani Rampage 2.35 I'm currently running on the front to the back and get a new front before my trip to AZ.

What do you suggest? I want something at least as big as the Blue Groove 2.35 at about the same weight (750-900gr).... but better rolling. I've seen lots of favorites in various threads but can't seem to find one thread that list them all and compares.

These are the ones that come up frequently:

Maxxis: Not sure the difference in these three.
    Advantage
    High Roller
    Minion

WTB:
    Weir Wolf 2.35
    Mutuno Raptor 2.4

Schwalbe:
    Big Betty 2.4

I'm running tubes currently but am considering switching back to Stans on XM321 rims. I have the rim strips and Stans stuff.

Elitest thrill junkie
    wierwolf 2.5, the 2.3 is tiny.

High volume single ply light tire= ripped sidewalls.

The motoraptor IMO is junk, sketchy, hard compound, not much traction, it breaks predictibly, but that's about it. You can do better.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Knollician
    KROB,

I run Maxxis DH 2 ply tires (Minion front and rear), simply because I cut a tires like butter. But most of the crew I ride with run Kenda Kinetics 2.6 Stick E. They are more like 2.4 and they love them. You will want a nice Stick E tire for SOMO. Most of the trails I have planned (if you're still in) will have lots of granite.

http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/weeklyspecials.htm

Kenda has them on sale for $10

Still looking at the 26th and 27th?
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

workin' it Administrator
    I haven't personally tried them but my next tires when my old ones wear out will be the Maxxis DHF and DHR minions. Meaty and large knobbed. They run small. A 2.3 is about a 2.2 so be forewarned although i have seen the 2.4 advantage and it is huge. I would also try those.

Are you full sus, front boing or old school (rigid)? That will make a difference too.

On my full sus I am currently running the WTB timberwolfs in the 2.3 not a high volume as you would think. I have a pair of Specialized DH tires next, seriously jumbo awesome tire.

On my SS (rigid) I run the IRC trailbear(freedom cross (stupid name)) in the 2.2 and 2.5 size. Rolls fast-ish but cheap and grippy. (FWIW: SS is stan-ed and the Full sus is slime tubed)
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Try out specialized 2.4 enduro pro (front) and nokian 2.3 gazzalodi SWA. Both tires can take alot of abuse and haven't had a problem. The enduro wears kinda quick but it grabs the earth very nicely. they have ran down greenie to la milagrosa and also the gnar of goat camp. Later.
    JRA

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er

you just gave up my super secret stash. now i'm going to have to pony up for a baker's dozen.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    you just gave up my super secret stash. now i'm going to have to pony up for a baker's dozen.

OOOOPPPPSSS!!!!

mtbr member
    KROB,

I run Maxxis DH 2 ply tires (Minion front and rear), simply because I cut a tires like butter. But most of the crew I ride with run Kenda Kinetics 2.6 Stick E. They are more like 2.4 and they love them. You will want a nice Stick E tire for SOMO. Most of the trails I have planned (if you're still in) will have lots of granite.

http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/weeklyspecials.htm

Still looking at the 26th and 27th?
    I haven't really had much trouble tearing sidewalls (Just one tear on the Nev running stans) even at pretty rocky places like Bootleg and Cowboy trails and I don't want to pack the extra weight of a true 2-ply downhill tire up the hill.... so that's why I want to stick to single ply.

I just called Kenda.... they're closed. Hope Dirtbag didn't buy up all of them. Hard to go wrong at ten bucks. Do these roll any better than the BG?

Yep. Still planning on the 26th and 27th.
    Last edited by KRob; 02-07-2007 at 09:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    Are you full sus, front boing or old school (rigid)? That will make a difference too.
    Intense 6.6 full boinger.

Like I said above I just can't wrap my brain around pedalling a 1300gr tire up hills and on more XC type trails (eventhough people say it's more about the rolling resistance than the weight) so I'm wanting something in the 800gr range and low rolling resistance.

The Mutano is specifically not recommended for Stans. Quite narrow for a 2.4, but rolls very fast and corners well in any conditions except copious mud. My 29" WW low treads make the 26" version seem very interesting, plus the little one's have reinforced sidewalls.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    I haven't really had much trouble tearing sidewalls (Just one tear on the Nev running stans) even at pretty rocky places like Bootleg and Cowboy trails and I don't want to pack the extra weight of a true 2-ply downhill tire up the hill.... so that's why I want to stick to single ply.

I just called Kenda.... they're closed. Hope Dirtbag didn't buy up all of them. Hard to go wrong at $10 bucks. Do these roll any better than the BG?

Yep. Still planning on the 26th and 27th.

They roll about the same, maybe a bit slower than a BG.
    I will put in for those 2 days off. Look forward to meeting you. Leg armor is highly recommended if you have some. Granite hurts Is anyone else coming with you?

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Maxxis Minion / High Roller 2.35s = girly in size, but o.k.

Maxxis Advantage 2.4 = Very large volume...way bigger than Maxxis 2.35s. Single ply, average sidewalls for single ply meaning not that great

Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4s = B!TCHIN. Their reinforced sidewalls (via rubber insert) are amazing. Technically single ply but WAY more robust than any single ply I have ever seen. The perfect compromise....my 2 were 921 and 937 grams. About same size as Advantage so very large volume. Also appear to be faster rolling than Advantages. Only downside is that Schwalbes are not cheap....but worth it. Tires are so important compared to other crap we obsess over so go for it.

No, that's not phonetic
    I second the Kinetics 2.6 Stick-e tires. Front and rear. My large Nevegals and Blue Grooves shed knobs off the sidewalls pretty fast, but the Kinetics fare much better. The Stick-e rubber is great, though you may want a non sticky tire in back for lots of slickrock. In the rear, the Tioga Factory DH 2.3 is huge and will last a bit longer.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    They roll about the same, maybe a bit slower than a BG.
    I will put in for those 2 days off. Look forward to meeting you. Leg armor is highly recommended if you have some. Granite hurts Is anyone else coming with you?
    Unless I can find some ripping good deal on the Betty's I'm going to order the Kinetics tomorrow. The BBs sound like they'd hold up better and have lower rolling resistance.... but I'll bet they're not 5 times better.

Yep I gots the leg and elbow armour. I always wear it on the rocks. I tend to fall over for the stupidest reasons.

Nope. Just me.... well riding anyway. Look forward to meeting you too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    The Mutano is specifically not recommended for Stans. Quite narrow for a 2.4, but rolls very fast and corners well in any conditions except copious mud. My 29" WW low treads make the 26" version seem very interesting, plus the little one's have reinforced sidewalls.
    Yeah, I meant the Motoraptor 2.4 but apparently there's better treads out there. You like the WeirWolf? Are people running the the 2.5 WW down there? The center knobs do look pretty low....or is that just on the LT version? Reinforced side walls is good.
    Last edited by KRob; 02-06-2007 at 12:50 AM.

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    FWIW I tried a single ply Maxxis Minion 2.5 (60a durometer) on the front on a recent trip to Phoenix. It was very secure on most surfaces - gripped bare rock well, great on rubble and loose stuff and floats well on sand. It has come through two weeks of abuse with little wear or damage, despite three outings on National plus Goat Camp and Milagrosa - both of which are way more tyre abusive. I did originally order a 2.35 but it was way too skinny - go for the 2.5.

I ran a dual ply Maxxis Hansventure on the back but will bring something lighter next time - also it was a softer compound and he knobs got pretty ragged, especially after Sedona slickrock - seemed bullet proof otherwise.

Rider weight and style is also an issue - I am relatively light and ride fairly conservatively. A heavier more Gonzo appraoch will probably need a dual ply rear at least.
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

mtbr member
    Sounds like you made your decision already. But here's what I found:

WTB 2.3" WW "Race" tires don't hold up at South Mtn. 2 rides. 2 sidewall hernias (and multiple partial tears). Like the next tire, good option when you're not expecting sharp rocks. Better than the mutano in gravel.

WTB 2.4" Mutano "race" - really a 2.2" tire with low knob height and light weight (<600g). Only had this out 1 time in south mountain and no full tears (Scratches and partials yes). By far my fave front tire for fast rolling single track if you know you're not going to encounter razor sharp rocks.

Maxxis Highroller 2.5" - 1200 grams make the pedal uphill a grunt. Cruising trails in middle/middle is fine, but I wouldn't want to try to pedal these much faster. however, multiple trips to So Mtn and no tears.

I may try a highroller 2.3" next. I think its around 850 grams. May provide enough traction and protection for some of the rockier areas while pedaling well enough for the smoother tracks.

29er notes:

Bontrager Jones XR (29er) in 2.3". One ride at South Mtn, 1 sidewall hernia. Front pushes in sand more than I'd like. Back provides good traction despite smallish looking knobs.

Specialized Resolution - THink its ~2.3". One ride at SoMo and no nicks/cuts. Cruising around town (okay, to the bar) got a goathead.

Hmm, what I'm getting out of this is that I should be riding my 29er more.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontius_Pirate
    Sounds like you made your decision already. But here's what I found:

WTB 2.3" WW "Race" tires don't hold up at South Mtn. 2 rides. 2 sidewall hernias (and multiple partial tears). Like the next tire, good option when you're not expecting sharp rocks. Better than the mutano in gravel.

WTB 2.4" Mutano "race" - really a 2.2" tire with low knob height and light weight (<600g). Only had this out 1 time in south mountain and no full tears (Scratches and partials yes). By far my fave front tire for fast rolling single track if you know you're not going to encounter razor sharp rocks.

Maxxis Highroller 2.5" - 1200 grams make the pedal uphill a grunt. Cruising trails in middle/middle is fine, but I wouldn't want to try to pedal these much faster. however, multiple trips to So Mtn and no tears.

I may try a highroller 2.3" next. I think its around 850 grams. May provide enough traction and protection for some of the rockier areas while pedaling well enough for the smoother tracks.

29er notes:

Bontrager Jones XR (29er) in 2.3". One ride at South Mtn, 1 sidewall hernia. Front pushes in sand more than I'd like. Back provides good traction despite smallish looking knobs.

Specialized Resolution - THink its ~2.3". One ride at SoMo and no nicks/cuts. Cruising around town (okay, to the bar) got a goathead.

Hmm, what I'm getting out of this is that I should be riding my 29er more.
    i have a barely touched Maxxis Highroller 2.35 for sale in the classifieds.....$12 plus shipping if you want it. Have other tires too

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have a barely touched Maxxis Highroller 2.35 for sale in the classifieds.....$12 plus shipping if you want it. Have other tires too

selling off the stash?
    let me know when you wanna get rid of the bike...i want first dibs on the good deal!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

Quote Originally Posted by dHarriet

selling off the stash?
    let me know when you wanna get rid of the bike...i want first dibs on the good deal!
    i am thinking about it.....dont even ride anymore anyway. if i sell it i can at least contribute to the mountain biking community financially

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor-y-Foel
    FWIW I tried a single ply Maxxis Minion 2.5 (60a durometer) on the front on a recent trip to Phoenix.
    Where'd you get that 2.5 single ply Minnion. They don't show it on their site Do you know what it weighs?

Yeah, I meant the Motoraptor 2.4 but apparently there's better treads out there. You like the WeirWolf? Are people running the the 2.5 WW down there? The center knobs do look pretty low....or is that just on the LT version? Reinforced side walls is good.
    The Moto is ok, not good or bad in any conditions. The compound is tough as anything, they're very popular rental bike tires in places like Moab.

I ride a 29er, and love the WW LT; but I'm also not riding a 6x6 bike either. For me, the LT is an excellent blend of speed, cush, and dry conditions grip. The "normal" 2.5 WW is a pretty different tire.

IF I owned a 6.6, I'd put something like a Timberwolf on it.

Saucy Size Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I second the Kinetics 2.6 Stick-e tires. Front and rear. My large Nevegals and Blue Grooves shed knobs off the sidewalls pretty fast, but the Kinetics fare much better. The Stick-e rubber is great, though you may want a non sticky tire in back for lots of slickrock. In the rear, the Tioga Factory DH 2.3 is huge and will last a bit longer.
    Just called and ordered these up. Now down to $5 per tire! I ordered 3 f/r sets.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Where'd you get that 2.5 single ply Minnion. They don't show it on their site Do you know what it weighs?
    i was wondering the same thing.....i thought only the 2.35s came with that option

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Just called and ordered these up. Now down to $5 per tire! I ordered 3 f/r sets.

p.
    Yep. Me too. If you order the bulk it's only $5. Although I'm a little sceptical because the one with the "B" code for bulk says it's the standard compound. The person on the phone said that's a misprint and they're all the Stick-E compound. I asked her if she was sure and she went and asked her boss and she came back and said yes.

This would have to be a pretty crappy tire to not be worth FIVE bucks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast