Closekids.com

Best 2 hour ride in Prescott?

Hey all... I've never made the trip to Prescott and there are so many segments that it is hard to come up with a true route.

If anyone could share their best 18-22 mile ride, that would be great.

Thanks a ton.

Boom
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

Elitest thrill junkie
    That's because there are a lot of good trails and routes and part of the fun is making your own. This time of year I would avoid granite basin unless you start early and finish by noon. The best IMO is going to be deeper in the pines where there's good vegetation coverage to get the sun off of you. 393, 396, 397, 330, 307, and some others are good for this. Some are bigger/steeper climbs, but in the pines and under the trees is usually a nice ride. It's also a bit cooler above 7000', so that can offer some good relief. Some of the connector and nearby trails can work good with these in downhill directions. I'd avoid GB, Pioneer Park, some of the Thumb Butte trails right around TB, lower 305 and the other Lynx trails, lower 299, going up wolverton mtn, and the Dells. All of these *can* work, but at this time of year I'd rather come down wolverton mtn rather than climb, so I'd rather combine some of these ones I said I'd "avoid" as a connector or a part that's not intended to be the main part. There are lots of good ways to make loops and rides.

Use the Prescott trails website to see what actually exists. Mtb project is decent for Prescott. Use strava for the Emmanuel Pines off-the-radar trails.

Everyone is different, so I'm hesitant to recommend a specific. Depending on your speed, you can do a nice loop out around Goldwater lake, but the terrain isn't especially challenging or vertical. One could go out n back on wolverton after if looking for more, but some people don't think highly of out n backs. A spruce mountain loop is fun, but significantly more challenging. 2hr loops would also be possible in Granite Basin and Thumb Butte, but possibly hotter than you might want. Otherwise, lots of out n backs at around 2hrs and many bigger loops at more like 3-4hrs or more.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    One I like is a figure 8 ride. Park at White Spar Campground, ride 396>62 to 299. Come down 299 back to 396, then 330>81>373>372 back to camp. Think it's about 15 miles. Mostly in trees but some open spots. 396 is fun but popular so expect some traffic.

mtbr member

Best 2 hour ride in Prescott?

With the 62 reroute being complete, an out n back on 62 is a good 18-20. I would park on the Walker Rd side, but either end is a fine start/finish.

Same trailhead as 305 on Walker road. The trail starts at the other end of the parking lot.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Or... up 305 and 297/Smith Ravine, down 299 and 62 to the car.
    --Reamer

Low speed, High Drag
    If it's gonna be toasty, we usually do 396 to 62, turn around at the top, then come back down 62 to 330, back to 396/White Spar Campground. This route isn't too hard, and I think it's about 15-16 miles.
    I need a cool saying to put here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    Or... up 305 and 297/Smith Ravine, down 299 and 62 to the car.
    This^^^in reverse... but get an early start.
    The older I get the better I was...

Closekids.com
    Thank you all guys! I'm trying to make it up there early next week. Very toasty in Phoenix right now.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

mtbr member
    I'm heading up on Saturday as well in the morning (leaving PHX by 5am). I was planning on doing Goldwater Loop... #396 & #330. Then depending on time maybe do a little out and back on one of the other spurs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Might be a bit smoky especially in am before the winds.
    Hwy 69 is currently closed

mtbr member
    WInd has mostly been from the west, blowing smoke away from Prescott area trails. Light haze in the air currently with mild smell of smoke.

mtbr member
    Trails are closed for the next two weeks in the Lynx Lake, White Spar, and Groom Creek Recreaction areas due to the Goodwin Fire. Thumb Butte, Granite Basin, and Emmanuel Pines areas remain open for now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by el poseur View Post
    Might be a bit smoky especially in am before the winds.
    Hwy 69 is currently closed
    its open now ... all the way..

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Are the Goldwater lake area trails considered to be within the Groom Creek or White Spar rec areas?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Wook View Post
    Are the Goldwater lake area trails considered to be within the Groom Creek or White Spar rec areas?
    I think I see your confusion.... You are referring to the Prescott National Forest closures... well if you go out there and look at the map, Groom Creek and areas around groom creek are open since the closure starts at Walker Road and to the SouthEast...

If you try to call the forest service ... well nobody is answering the phone... typical government run organization... unorganized and incompetent...

My only guess is Senator Hwy is closed at some point going south... The Yavapai County Sheriff's office love to close down roads and keep it that way for as long as they possibly can...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Wook View Post
    I knew I could find someone... I just talked to the Groom Creek Fire Dept.... He said all trails/recreation is closed around goldwater lakes and goom creek... and that White Spar is open... Senator Hwy is open... but I guess that doesn't matter since all the trails are closed there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Bummer. Thanks for the legwork though. White Spar starts west of 89 probably?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    I knew I could find someone... I just talked to the Groom Creek Fire Dept.... He said all trails/recreation is closed around goldwater lakes and goom creek... and that White Spar is open... Senator Hwy is open... but I guess that doesn't matter since all the trails are closed there.
    Closure update per USFS website. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/presc...d=FSEPRD548146

I'd park at Park Plaza Deli. Bike south on Whitespar, climb Wolverton (early as it's exposed), descend 48 to Copper Basin, over on any number of trails towards White Rock down 318 back to Thumb Butte back to Deli. Should be right around 21 miles.
    Saturday morning's 9am parade has 149 entries so the farther you can skirt around Whiskey Row the better.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I was going to say that 48 is kind of a beat down for most riders and involves walking for most due to the steep climbs, but I think you are talking about going towards town/Thumb Butte, not down towards the actual Copper Basin, which would be continuing on 48 and down 260. In this sense, if you are heading towards 393 (quality fun trail!), you'll only be on 48 for a short bit, but I agree, heading that way is usually a good idea in the summer with some decent pines coverage after the initial Wolverton Climb, plus the Deli is a great place to be after the ride!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I think he meant going down 48 to copper Basin ROAD. But just didn't write the road part.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    I think he meant going down 48 to copper Basin ROAD. But just didn't write the road part.
    Indeed I did. My quick post opened the door to misinterpretation.

I've lived up here for a little over three years now and that remains my go to ride. Lot's of options to change it up as you go, particularly on the Thumb Butte side of it.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys! Did this very route on the Fourth of July. Got out early and enjoyed the cool weather and pines. Great loop.