mtbr member

Beat me. Whip me. Cause me pain.

I'm going to be in the Valley of the Sun at the end of February for my nephew's wedding and am going to stay over for a couple of days to get in some pre-fling abuse.

Name me a couple of 4-5 hour rides that will thoroughly whoop and challenge me both in endurance and technical effort. I want to go home spent. Thanks.

These are the ones that are on my "possiblities" list.

1. National C2C2C
    2. Goat Camp
    3. Hawes/Twisted Sister/Pass Mountain

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Check out the Quadriple Bypass thread in the AZ forum. I did this last weekend, it was a blast and very challenging, you can make it a double or triple if you don't want to do all four.

Lots of climbing and great views. The trails are well marked too.
    Last edited by cngle spdr; 01-30-2007 at 11:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cngle spdr
    Check out the Quadriple Bypass thread in the AZ forum. I did this last weekend, it was a blast and very challenging, you can make it a double or triple if you don't want to do all four.

Lots of climbing and great view. The trials are well marked too.
    Yeah, I just scrolled down and was reading about that. Thanks.

Is it pretty easy to duplicate this ride without a guide?
    Sounds like the HH100x may be a better tool for that job than the 6.6. but I'll definitely want the 6.6 if I do Goat Camp or SoMo. Hmm.
    Last edited by KRob; 01-30-2007 at 04:38 PM.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Yeah, I just scrolled and down and was reading about that. Thanks.

Is it pretty easy to duplicate this ride without a guide?
    Sounds like the HH100x may be a better tool for that job than the 6.6. but I'll definitely want the 6.6 if I do Goat Camp or SoMo. Hmm.
    Yeah, you can stitch most of it together without a guide. There are some detailed directions floating around. Enel did much of it last week by himself.

You definitely don't need the 6.6 for it. A few guys finished the Quad on rigid SS's.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    you got the good ones covered. if you want to truely add to the suffering on SoMo you could always add the "little" mountain to the west of SoMo when you get to the south end of national (Alta?).

Also, you could put together quite the ride in the T100 area. major gnar if you climb/hike high enough.

Give a shut when your in town and ready to ride I'm certain a few of use might join you for the abuse.
    b

Knollician
    KRob, check your PM's.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    I'm going to be in the Valley of the Sun at the end of February for my nephew's wedding and am going to stay over for a couple of days to get in some pre-fling abuse.

Name me a couple of 4-5 hour rides that will thoroughly whoop and challenge me both in endurance and technical effort. I want to go home spent. Thanks.

These are the ones that are on my "possiblities" list.

1. National C2C2C
    2. Goat Camp
    3. Hawes/Twisted Sister/Pass Mountain
    to Goat Camp. 3.5-5 hours, sustained climbing, technical descending, not recommended solo.
    to Hawes/TS/PM. 4-5 hours, moderate climbing, a little rocky in places but definitely not technical.
    to national C2C2C. 4-5 hours, fun and technical, but for the same amount of time on the bike, i could map out several loops on and off of national that would be more fun and technical. for example: national to the towers or telegraph, back to and down holbert, over to and up geronimo to BV, national back to the ramadas.

While the west end of national is fun, the ride includes a sustained road section back from San Juan to Buena Vista. I don't know of anyone that has actually ridden national back from the San Juan as the hike-a-bike on the west end would be heinous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    :...for the same amount of time on the bike, i could map out several loops on and off of national that would be more fun and technical. for example: national to the towers or telegraph, back to and down holbert, over to and up geronimo to BV, national back to the ramadas.
    Thanks for the trail advice dirtbag. This option at SoMo sounds like fun.