Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    891

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! BCT Work Day - Sat Dec 13

    The BCT is becoming a popular mountian bike trail destination. Just last weekend we had 25 show up for a ride. A lot of voluteer hours have gone into making this wonderful trail to ride with a lot of support and hard work from mountain bikers. Here's another opportunity to give back to the trail that so many of you have had a chance to ride and enjoy. So please come next Saturday and lets add more beautiful singletrack!! For those who have riden the BCT and haven't had the opportunity to help out with the construction, here's your chance to help build one of the best singletrack trail in the state!

    The following is a message from Bob, the BCT president, and information on the work event.

    Greetings fellow volunteers,

    A lot of progress has been made on the Black Canyon Trail since our first workday of this season on October 11th. Over two miles of new single track have been constructed and good times have been enjoyed by the crews. A map showing the progress will be added to the website, www.bctaz.org, after the next work day .

    We will enjoy another trail work session on December 13th and hope you will join us and help beat our current record of 45 volunteers and 1820 feet of single track constructed in one work day!

    Thanks for your support,
    Bob

    Work Event Description
    Date: Saturday, December 13, 2008
    Time: 8:00 AM
    Meet At: BCC Trailhead, Black Canyon City, Arizona
    Work Location: K-Mine Trail Segment of the Black Canyon Trail

    Activities: Construct non-motorized trail using accepted trail building techniques and hand tools along previously flagged route.

    This is a physical activity requiring certain health and safety considerations. Please be aware of your personal physical condition, wear appropriate attire, such as long sleeves and hat if you are sun sensitive, gloves and sturdy footwear.

    Bring sun screen, your own soft or sports drinks and snacks. We will provide bottled water and lunch.

    Tools to be used: Pulaski, McCloud, shovel, pick mattock, limb lopper, and pruning saw. Tools will be provided, but you are welcome to bring your own if they are marked for easy identification.

    Directions: From Interstate 17, either direction; take exit 242 (Black Canyon City), turn west, proceed to stop sign, then turn north on the frontage road, drive approximately 290 ft to first road on left, turn left on Warner Rd, drive approximately 1290 ft to first crossroad, turn right and proceed approximately 430 ft to parking area at the end of the road. Directional signs will be posted.

    For the GPS aficionados the coordinate is N34 3.140’, W112 9.048’, using the NAD27 Datum.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scanjok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    376
    Anybody going? My wife and I will be there

  3. #3
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    891
    I'll be there along with a few other mountain bikers that I know of.

    The more people we get out there to dig a little trail, the more the Black Canyon Trail Coalition (BCTC) can use to match grants to hire professional trail building crews. I look at it this way, for each hour I put into making a trail, the professinal crews can build twice what I can build in the same amount of time. So the more volunteers we get, the more BCTC can go after matching grant to hire crews, the faster the BCT can be completed.

    Quote Originally Posted by scanjok
    Anybody going? My wife and I will be there

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JohnnyBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    131
    If I don't have to work saturday I would be down to volunteer. This would be my first trail building experience. I might be able to bring a friend to help out too.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mhykhelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    227

    oops I posted it too

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo
    If I don't have to work saturday I would be down to volunteer. This would be my first trail building experience. I might be able to bring a friend to help out too.
    as doode pointed out. Hope we can make a good show. I'll buy the first 2 pitchers!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AKA Monkeybutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,318
    We are back from the Adirondacks. Can you say cold? I love AZ

    We will be there

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: helimech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,761
    See ya all out there with my little helper.
    JRA

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nova rio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    49
    For those of us that love and use the trail, but have significant family obligations each weekend, is there a way to donate cash to the cause?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AKA Monkeybutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,318
    Any MTBR folks going?

  10. #10
    MTBikeAZ.com
    Reputation: TheBarqsMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    117
    Dale, What's a work shift on the BCT like? Half day, full day? Is there time to bring the bike and get a few hours of riding in after trailbuilding?
    Mike
    MTBikeAZ.com
    --
    How fast can you climb?
    http://helipadtt.blogspot.com

  11. #11
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    891
    We typical work to around 1 or 2 then retire to Rock Springs for Pie and Brew. So if you pass on Pie, there is time to ride.


    Quote Originally Posted by TheBarqsMan
    Dale, What's a work shift on the BCT like? Half day, full day? Is there time to bring the bike and get a few hours of riding in after trailbuilding?

  12. #12
    MTBikeAZ.com
    Reputation: TheBarqsMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    117
    I've almost heard as many good things about the Pie at Rock Springs Cafe as I have the BCT. It'll be a toss up I'm still a definitely maybe. I'm trying to open my schedule up so I can be there to work. If not this month I'll be in next time for sure.
    Mike
    MTBikeAZ.com
    --
    How fast can you climb?
    http://helipadtt.blogspot.com

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Doode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    237
    I'm in and may have another body or two with me.
    Do what it takes to move through

    Exhale Bikes
    2814 W Bell Rd
    Phoenix, AZ 85053-7530
    (602) 548-0567

  14. #14
    Salty Dog
    Reputation: Salty Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    362
    Sweet day of work, and a GREAT crew! I had the pleasure of joining Troy and company this morning. Unfortunately I had to leave after just a half day of work, while most of the gang continued to work away at the cliff side so that we can all one day soon ride it in pleasure and pain. Until you see the stagecoach trail you won't believe it....

    For those who couldn't make it today, please watch for future announcements and get out there and help develop or maintain some of the very sweet trail we have the pleasure of riding.

    Lunch was great, and it was free....
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

  15. #15
    wrecking crew
    Reputation: su.ling~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,402
    Great work out there today!!! We had 33 people working very, very hard to finish 1600' of trail. The last 300' was pure rock on the sides of the hill requiring much rock breaking, rock moving, wall making and loads of hard work. But it looks great!

    The old stagecoach route that is being used as a small connector piece is pretty sweet. You can see along the sides the old rock retaining walls and it's pretty darn narrow. Some rocks had the old wagon wheel grooves worn into them. Amazing how the horses had to pull those stagecoaches through those areas. Steep, narrow and some pretty uneven slick rock areas. I can't imaging the suspension on those things being very pleasant...nor the high center of gravity of those things along the narrow edge sections of the wash that runs along side this canyon.

    Lunch was indeed great. Hard work, pie, beer and laughter afterwards at Rock Springs makes for a great day with friends. Thanks for those who showed up and lend a helping hand and please come back for more!
    ~~~

  16. #16
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,137
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    Great work out there today!!! We had 33 people working very, very hard to finish 1600' of trail. The last 300' was pure rock on the sides of the hill requiring much rock breaking, rock moving, wall making and loads of hard work. But it looks great!

    The old stagecoach route that is being used as a small connector piece is pretty sweet. You can see along the sides the old rock retaining walls and it's pretty darn narrow. Some rocks had the old wagon wheel grooves worn into them. Amazing how the horses had to pull those stagecoaches through those areas. Steep, narrow and some pretty uneven slick rock areas. I can't imaging the suspension on those things being very pleasant...nor the high center of gravity of those things along the narrow edge sections of the wash that runs along side this canyon.

    Lunch was indeed great. Hard work, pie, beer and laughter afterwards at Rock Springs makes for a great day with friends. Thanks for those who showed up and lend a helping hand and please come back for more!
    You guys/gals rock. Well, actually you beat/pushed/lifted/crushed rock and made trail. Hats off to all and I look forward to joining the next work party.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    171
    Very nice to put some work into forming/building the trails we all love and enjoy week in and week out around the Phoenix metro area. I met some great people and enjoyed some nice conversation. Once again thanks, another great day in Arizona for some sweat to be shed outdoors. By the way, this is Dimitri.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mhykhelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    227

    Thanks for stepping it up!

    Quote Originally Posted by RIfreeDE
    Very nice to put some work into forming/building the trails we all love and enjoy week in and week out around the Phoenix metro area. I met some great people and enjoyed some nice conversation. Once again thanks, another great day in Arizona for some sweat to be shed outdoors. By the way, this is Dimitri.
    Good to see all you folks. Second Saturdays are the typical BCT Trail days, so you can all plan your swim meets, salon days, jail time and other commitments around those days!

    Dimitri, be sure to start coming out on Dale's and DurtGurl's rides when you see them, they rock!

  19. #19
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    891
    Great turnout today! many thanks for all those that came out today. We had a almost perfect day to build trail. Here are few pics from todays trail building session, which include a couple before and after pics of the hard rock area and a pic of the old stage trail.

    Hope to see some of you next month!

    Quote Originally Posted by mhykhelle
    Good to see all you folks. Second Saturdays are the typical BCT Trail days, so you can all plan your swim meets, salon days, jail time and other commitments around those days!

    Dimitri, be sure to start coming out on Dale's and DurtGurl's rides when you see them, they rock!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #20
    I am Bob
    Reputation: chongoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,802
    Thanks for the work! I've missed the last few. I need to get back in the loop! riding a piece of trail that you helped build out of rough, though desert is a great feeling.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: helimech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,761
    Thanks for the nice pic of Tate building his little berm Epic, sweet.
    JRA

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brianc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,041
    outstanding job guys and gals!! 1600' of new trail and looking at all the rock work is impressive.
    b

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •