Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Control Freak

BCT Story...and Lesson!

I woke up at 5:00 am on the morning of March 28, 2011 and got everything packed into the car and did a once over on the bike making sure everything was good to go. I headed out and ended up at my buddies house around 6. We loaded everything into his Jeep and headed out for the day. Our plan was to ride BCT from the BCT trailhead and do "little Pan Loop" as well. If I get the names of the trails wrong my apologies...it was our first time out there. We got to the trailhead around 7:30 and rechecked our tire pressure loaded erverything up and headed out.

What a beuatiful first mile...I amost went over the edge a few times just looking at the scenery. The only pictures I got this day were of the first mile before we descended into the river crossing. The first of many .

We continued across the river crossing. My buddy doing it barefoot and myself using my flip flops that I brought along. We then started on the massive uphill with the switchbacks. I am telling you the views were amazing and the scenery was beautiful. I am not a fast rider, but I made it to the top and we started down the backside. We finally got down to the service road and we missed the turn off for the Pan Loop and decided to keep going. We actually were on the pan loop since we saw 2 other MTB riders and they explained to us where we were. We stopped at the 2nd river crossing and ate lunch. By this time I wasnt feeling well at all. My stomach started hurting and I was feeling weak. I told my buddy what I was feeling and we decided to keep on pushing forward and back to our car. Well I made it across the next river crossing and out onto the service road before the pain got really bad. We were sitting on the service road when the 2 MTB riders we came across we coming down.

I am telling you they possibly saved my life or at least saved me from even a rougher time. They gave me some vitamin water and a gel. Keep in mind I never really have used these before. I hadnt went to the bathroom since I started the ride and they were concerned about that and me being dehydrated. Well, they all decided it would be better for me to follow them back to their vehicles and my buddy went back up the trail to his car. He was going to meet us at the south trailhead. Bob (From Cali) and Mike (from PV) nursed me all the way back to their cars. Making sure I made it up every climb and even staying one in front and one behind. I cannot say Thank you enough to these 2 gentlemen for Helping me get through that day. We finally made it back and Mike took me out to the Highway and waited for my buddy to get there. The next day Mike called me to see how I was feeling and to offer to go riding sometime. Bob and Mike were very nice and I can not say thank you enough to the both of the them!

Lesson learned: Bring a GOOD map and KNOW where you are going and how long it should take. Bring SUNBLOCK: I was burned on my neck arms and legs. Bring LOTSA water. I didnt think it was going to be too bad since we have had great weather and it was 45 degree's when we started. When we finished it was in the mid 80's.

I am a firm believer now in GEL's and will be stashing a few in my bag for the longer riders. This ride was going to be in the mid 20's which would have been the longest I had ever done.

So to end this story...I believe I was dehydrated and over heated. Make sure if your gonna ride out in the heat since we all know its coming to Drink PLENTY of liquids.

I hope this story can inspire younger riders in the MTB community to learn this lesson the easy way and not the hard way as I did.

Tim

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Glad everything ended up A ok for you. This time of the year is preparedness is key !I'm not much of a fan of all the goo's ,shot blocks ,etc. I always throw a P.B & banana sandwich and a heath bar In the camelback along w/ a full 100 oz's of H20 for those longer rides.....the bigger thing I take away from your story is this community of MTN bikers although they may squawk about the type or size of one's bike or quibble about one's attire whenever I've pushed my limits or OTB and finding myself dusting off there always seems to be somebody asking if I have everything I need or if I'm okay .. cheer's to the Mike's out there!

mtbr member
    I rode BCT for the first time during the spring fling and I know I was in over my head. I actually ran out of water towards the end of the ride and it hurt that much more. I will be getting a 100oz camelback here quick before it gets any hotter.

Control Freak
    I had 100oz plus a bottle....I was drinking a lot. Next time I might take 200az. Actually going back out April 19.

Tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatedg
    I had 100oz plus a bottle....I was drinking a lot. Next time I might take 200az. Actually going back out April 19.

Tim
    Yep, that's some scary ****. The only time I can recall actually dehydrating on a ride was my first trip to Moab. It was Sept, and the TH at PorcRim was empty. That should have been a clue. I ran out of water probably before we hit the single track, and the descent back to the road was not fun.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Another thought would be to bring a water filter. Saves you from having to carry so much water at once.

mtbr member
    wow, glad to hear you're ok. and thanks for sharing the positive efforts of Bob and Mike!

b
    b

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Yep, that's some scary ****. The only time I can recall actually dehydrating on a ride was my first trip to Moab. It was Sept, and the TH at PorcRim was empty. That should have been a clue. I ran out of water probably before we hit the single track, and the descent back to the road was not fun.
    I've actually puked on the road ride back to the bridge on that last climb before they put the bike path in. Gels are key!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Got a suspension fork
    5 of us did BCT from Rock Springs to and including the Little Pan Loop the Friday of AZSF. I brought 100oz in my Camelbak M.U.L.E, and I had forgot in the freezer a 21oz frozen water bottle that I had intended to bring as backup.

3 of the 5 ran out of water with about 3 miles to go, and it was cooler then than it is now. Luckily Raybum had his SteriPen with him and cleaned some water for us.

I'm going to buy some of these purification tables at REI for emergency situations where there is water, like in Sedona and BCT. Hmm, maybe a SteriPen is a better way to go... There is a 20% off Coupon at REI right now.

As I have recently increased my ride distances to the mid twenty range, I've been really good about nutrition, because I bonked a couple times doing it poorly. For me, it's having a decent breakfast before hand, 4 scoops of Cytomax in 100oz of water, Homemade Hammer type gel shots that I take every 30 to 45 minutes, and a Larabar or Cliff bar mid ride. Since I've paid more attention to nutrition, I've found the longer distances are much easier for me to keep chugging along.

Glad you are ok and that it all worked out ok.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    I've actually puked on the road ride back to the bridge on that last climb before they put the bike path in. Gels are key!
    Coming back from PorcRim? It's been...what, 3 years?...since I've been to Moab. Heading there in May, so looking forward to going back. Not sure I know the path you're talking about, unless it's new.

I just remember we took Coyote Shuttle to the TH with some local, who had to be at work in like 90 minutes. I think it took us 4 hours to do the ride (we'd been riding for maybe a year at that point). Very humbling experience.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Coming back from PorcRim? It's been...what, 3 years?...since I've been to Moab. Heading there in May, so looking forward to going back. Not sure I know the path you're talking about, unless it's new.
    Yep, about 3 years old along with improving the bridge over the Colorado.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Don't believe the Hype...
    Don't feel bad, a couple years ago there was a huge group ride there. Like 30 people, and a bunch of people ran out of water and where in simualur shape( I was one of them). It was cool in the morn, but warmed up real fast. That trail sucks you in. It's sooo beautiful, smooth and flowy you kinda forget how far out you are. It really taught me a lesson...
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

drink coffee, ride.
    I'm a fan of hammer, but I buy all my stuff, so not supported by them. I am by no means an enduro junkie like some here, just like to ride. With all that being said, how long were you out, and it sounds like you were dehydrated before the ride even started. Typically, your max absorption is about 25 oz an hour, depending on body mass.
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/EN/en54/index.html
    I've run out of gas (food wise) but never water wise on some longer and hotter rides.

Glad you made it out ok, but maybe a little more pre-ride hydration is better than carrying more than 100oz. RH has some great advice in his post as well.

mtbr member
    Did that same ride just this past Saturday - Rock Springs, Little Pan Loop and back to Rock Springs. Didn't run out of water, but I did puke in the car on the way home. Maybe I should have run out of water...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    don't forget electrolytes! you can have all the water in the world and still die of hyponatremia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia gatorade is ok, vitalyte is way better as far as electrolyte drinks, but good old fashioned bananas and potato chips also work wonders. personally i really like to have something salty to counter balance all of the sweet bars and gels.

I have an aunt that was hiking in the grand canyon and was being very diligent about drinking plenty of water, but she didn't replace any of her electrolytes. during her airlift rescue, they gave her a bag of potato chips which made her instantly feel better. my family refers to that as the two thousand dollar bag of chips!

interestingly, i heard in a radiolab episode (titled limits http://www.radiolab.org/2010/apr/05/) that the presence of electrolytes ONLY in your mouth, not even all the way into your body eases your internal governor. they did a test on a group of professional cyclists in which half of the group was given an electrolyte drink, the other half were given what they thought was an electrolyte drink, and they only took it into their mouths and then spit it out. over the course of 40 kilometers on stationary bikes the group with the real electrolyte drink finished MINUTES ahead of the placebo group. blew my mind.

mtbr member
    You could also pick up a bottle of Endurolytes by Hammer - they are electrolytes in a capsule, take 2-3 every 45 minutes as well as a Gel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough
    I'm a fan of hammer, but I buy all my stuff, so not supported by them. I am by no means an enduro junkie like some here, just like to ride. With all that being said, how long were you out, and it sounds like you were dehydrated before the ride even started. Typically, your max absorption is about 25 oz an hour, depending on body mass.
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/EN/en54/index.html
    I've run out of gas (food wise) but never water wise on some longer and hotter rides.

Glad you made it out ok, but maybe a little more pre-ride hydration is better than carrying more than 100oz. RH has some great advice in his post as well.

Pre-hydrate, very important the days leading up to a big ride. If you start the ride dehydrated, you're that much closer to being in trouble. Around 25 oz of liquid/hr is good, but remember, that just slows the dehydration process. You can only replace a portion of lost fluid, until eventually the body gets dehydrated and problems start.
    Electrolytes and calories intake/hr is important also, just don't overdo it.
    Rule of thumb: if you have not been drinking enough h20 the previous few days and urine is yellow, your are already dehydrated and will probably not last long, cramp, bonk,crash,,etc...
    100oz water and 32 oz of energy drink lasts me 3-4 hrs, but your mileage/time may vary,depending on intensity, temp, etc.

My other ride is your mom
    My bike is fueled by burritos.....no robo fuel for me anymore.

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    A good carbohydrate loading meal the night before the ride, plenty of pasta, and 2 days of pre loading your self hydration wise will help you with the first 2 hours of a ride. Beyond that, it's supplements, Endurolytes, salt, pickle juice, PBJ and banana's for potassium, etc, that get you through the rest of the ride with constant replenishing of liquid. Hammer Perpetuem is good too.

mtbr member
    Two words: Pop Tarts (strawberry)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loveaz
    You could also pick up a bottle of Endurolytes by Hammer - they are electrolytes in a capsule, take 2-3 every 45 minutes as well as a Gel.
    Or instead of buying into Hammer's scam buy a gel that has electrolytes already in it instead of buying 2 products

mtbr member
    Zym Tablets are the bomb...just drop one in a water bottle and cary the rest in your pack. If you need more electrolyte, just load up your water bottle from your camelpack and drop another tab in...cramps no more...

Got a suspension fork
    Chad recommended to me Elete Water Addin for electolyte replacement when I asked him, I have been using it and it seems to do the job. For longer rides recently I've been using Cytomax which has electrolyte replacement in it, but as these rides become my new normal distance, I'll ween off the Cytomax and go back to Elete.

Elete is great stuff, very affordable too.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides