mtbr member

BCT South - Bring the Passion back

Guys,
    I finally had the chance to get back on the Mtn bike and ride. My last MTB ride was Dec 16th and with the holidays and family trips I have had no time to ride. That last ride was good, but hard due to the trails being really slow due to rains. I did get some gym time in to prevent losing my fitness, but lets face it. Gym is boring...

So I got a chance get back out and ride my old stand by. My "Home Trail". BCT from Emery Henderson Trailhead. I had about 2.5 hr riding window and found everything just clicking. Ground was perfect, temps were good. I saw about 7 other riders which is alot for this part of BCT and despite slowing to pass one group and having to stop for another group of 5 riders I ran the fastest first segment since the monsoon rains make the trail more rocky. Later on had to wait for group of about 8 horse riders, but even then it was only a couple minutes.

I made it to the top of 2nd big climb faster than ever and decided to ride down the back side toward table mesa. I turned around before I got there due to time, but had a great ride back and did 19.3 miles, 1660ft climbing in 2hr 17 min.

I really enjoyed that ride and how I have maneuver the bike around the rocks and turns in the trail. I love the feeling of being way out there and covering ground. I had good day climbing and descending. Overall just a really fun ride. I really am lucky to live in a place where I can ride a trail like this year round and only 15 min from my front door.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    It was a good weekend to hit BCT. Every time I head up that way I kick myself for not riding there more often. Glad to hear you're getting some time in the saddle again!

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I wanted real bad to ride from EH up and around the Little Pan Loop over the break, but never made it. I haven't done the EH section to Table Mesa in two years! I almost made it before the end of the year, but I shredded a tire on the freeway at Anthem. Nothing like a 60mph fishtail! I spent my riding time that day at Discount Tire.

I wish I had a riding day that you had. That's what I was hoping for.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Last time I rode was 2 weeks ago and got 5 miles on the sonoran before I got a side wall cut on my tire and had to walk back. Now I am out with a cold and sprained back... (dont ask.) so I took the kids skiing in Flagstaff - myself excluded.
    I got major blue balls for some MTB.
    Next weekend I am hitting it hard !

mtbr member
    BTW, how is that section compare to the north of pan loop?
    How is the ATV/MOTO/flying beer bottles and shooting moving target practice situation down there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    BTW, how is that section compare to the north of pan loop?
    How is the ATV/MOTO/flying beer bottles and shooting moving target practice situation down there?
    Compared to the section between little pan and rock springs... EH to Table Mesa is more rocky, narrower, less climbing (still steep, but not as long) and less exposure.

No issues with ATV/MOTOs or shooting. I have heard shooting in the distance at times, but never up close.

I need to ride from Rock Springs more often, but I really like this section of BCT since it has a little of everything. There is nice open desert winding around the bushes and rocks. Then tight short climb through the boulders. Then a nice rocky gradual climb that turns steep. Some nice flowing sections with ups and downs and then another climb.

From rock springs to little pan BCT is very uniform. From the river you have smoothish long climb and then long descent with exposure. Then you can ride it back. From EH to Table mesa at least for me there are 5 distinct sections.

1- EH trailhead to the Jeep Road
    2- Jeep road and jeep trail to Boy Scout Loop
    3- East side Boy Scout Loop Climb/descent
    4- Between peaks descent, rollers, climb
    5- Down far side to Table mesa.

Each one has a different feel in when it comes to the terrain,geology and topography.

Then again I have ridden this part of BCT 10 times a least and Rock Springs to Little Pan just once.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.