Thread: BCT Question

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

BCT Question

A few of us are going to start the New Year out with a ride from Mayer probably to RS. It has been a while since I rode from the Mayer TH. I see Raybums start looked like it is right from the highway. When I did it we drove up old Sycamore rd a little ways. Where is the best place to start? Anyone? Also if you want to join us let me know.It looks like it will be just under 40 miles.

Just another half mile...
    For now, best to start up on Old Sycomore Road. The trailhead is under construction to build a new parking lot. Access to the trail may be limited from the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by cklog View Post
    A few of us are going to start the New Year out with a ride from Mayer probably to RS. It has been a while since I rode from the Mayer TH. I see Raybums start looked like it is right from the highway. When I did it we drove up old Sycamore rd a little ways. Where is the best place to start? Anyone? Also if you want to join us let me know.It looks like it will be just under 40 miles.

Ahhh the pain....
    We were up there about 5 weeks or so ago doing some bikepacking and there was a little evidence of some trailhead work. I think the ramp wasn't finished yet (through the fence) but there was no issue getting through the gate.
    Where the trail crosses Old Sycamore can be a little tough to find. After you pass the fire station on your left, you'll continue up the dirt road and just before it get's steeper is where the trail crosses. That short section of trail between Old Sycamore and Hwy69 is pretty chunky...not bad going south, but would be a grind in the other direction.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    So I am confused, where exactly did you start? When I did it I think I started at the top of the hill on Old Sycamore and just rode down the dirt rd a bit and picked up the trail there. Is there another trail head?

Carnivore
    Going to be muddy for the first 5-6 miles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gila monster View Post
    Going to be muddy for the first 5-6 miles.

Yeah, I would stick to the southern sections of the trail that are not clay so the trail does not get screwed up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    So where would you guy's suggest starting? Would like to ride segment that I haven't ridden for a while. Antelope Springs? Ya we don't want to screw up the trail. Rode the RS to BB this last week and someone rode that when it was pretty wet and there are definitely some ruts.

mtbr member
    Top of Antelope to the Bumble Bee Trail head would be a good ride. Majority of the trail is hard packed and in good shape.

Old and Slow
    I agree. We had snow and rain last night, and the section from Hwy 69 to Cordes will be really sticky. Start at the top of Antelope Canyon.
    Getting out there one day at a time.

mtbr member
    Maybe you guys aren't back yet - just wondering how the ride went - how were the conditions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    We started at Antelope hill and rode to RS. The conditions were prime! Could not have been better.
    Talked to a guy that started at highway 69 and he said it was a mud fest for about the first 150 yards. It was a bit chilly this morning, but what graet ride.

Lakvoodoo
    Quote Originally Posted by cklog View Post
    We started at Antelope hill and rode to RS. The conditions were prime! Could not have been better.
    Talked to a guy that started at highway 69 and he said it was a mud fest for about the first 150 yards. It was a bit chilly this morning, but what graet ride.

Happy new year!
    Did you guys do and out and back or shuttle? Lots of water crossings?
    Get Outside!

Superhero in training
    Hey guys! Just got down here (from Colorado) and was going to hit the BCT. I don't know all of the names or lingo yet, so please bear with me. But I was going to go from Mayer north. Is that the muddy section? I don't want to rut-up the trails.

RS= Rock Springs?

Should I just hit Antelope to Bumble Bee?

Thanks!
    Roan Cliff Chaos
    June 15-16 in beautiful Rifle, Colorado
    https://sites.google.com/site/roancliffchaos/

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    We did shuttle. As for water crossings we only hit one today and only got the tires wet if you cross towards the west. Colosean, if you start at Antelope Hill you will avoid the mud. Depending on how many miles you want to do Bumble Bee is good, it's all good.