Thread: BCT Nite ride

JJK
    AZ MTBR

BCT Nite ride

Wow . i just got back from a nite ride on the BCT. 3 friends and my self started in Rock springs-BCC at the trailhead and we rode the blacktop acess road north thru BCC then turned left on Maggie Mine rd and took that all the way to where the singletrack starts and we rode South on BCT. Our goal was to take the trail south back to the parking lot. Well the 1st part of the trail was awesome, killer downhill sections and as we approached the 1st river crossing we heard the river gushing. Well we tried to cross it but it was roaring. We got in about mid thigh and my left leg fell into a hole , almost took me downstream. We tried 2-3 spots to cross there and no luck.

So we turned around and went back out the same way we came. It still turned out to be a nice 2 hr ride. I guess we'll have to try again when the waters not so high. Thanks again to all who built this trail.

Later,
    JohnnyK

Ahhh the pain....
    Johnny,
    Looks like you guys just chose the wrong night! Storms in the watershed amped up the flow to around 200cfs in the Agua Fria of which alot of it is from Black Canyon Creek (which is that first crossing you hit). Check this site before you go next time...
    USGS Current Conditions for USGS 09512800 AGUA FRIA RIVER NEAR ROCK SPRINGS, AZ

anything over about 150 is pretty dangerous.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Ray is right. We had another rain last night. I live in the Anthem and can see the bradshaw watershed from my backyard. Last evening it was cloudy and dark in that area. I thought we were going to get rain. We did not, but I guess it hid the bradshaws based on river flow levels. During the day the flow was way down, but there must have been another storm. Looks like the water peaked at aobut 6pm or so. That is right when I was seeing lots of dark clouds up there.

Just be happy you did not cross over the river when it was low and then get stuck on the otherside after a rain.
    Last edited by JoePAz; 09-05-2012 at 09:46 AM.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    by looking at the chart, I crossed on Sunday morning at 6AM, it was about 150 cfs... that was just above my knees... I think maybe that crossing that is north of the Rock Springs Parking lot may be a better bet... I don't know

Y'all have balls doing that at night... sheesh...

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Quote Originally Posted by JJK View Post
    Wow . i just got back from a nite ride on the BCT. 3 friends and my self started in Rock springs-BCC at the trailhead and we rode the blacktop acess road north thru BCC then turned left on Maggie Mine rd and took that all the way to where the singletrack starts and we rode South on BCT. Our goal was to take the trail south back to the parking lot. Well the 1st part of the trail was awesome, killer downhill sections and as we approached the 1st river crossing we heard the river gushing. Well we tried to cross it but it was roaring. We got in about mid thigh and my left leg fell into a hole , almost took me downstream. We tried 2-3 spots to cross there and no luck.

So we turned around and went back out the same way we came. It still turned out to be a nice 2 hr ride. I guess we'll have to try again when the waters not so high. Thanks again to all who built this trail.

Later,
    JohnnyK
    BCT night ride is one of my favorites, most of the time I ride it solo and the feeling of being out there is like no other. I normally start from New River and head north to the big hill after Table Mesa (not dropping down to the river) and then back, get some good miles without the worry of water crossings
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    Johnny..Johnny..JOHNNY
    The way I saw it you stepped into a jet black tumultuously ugly shin high river, don't forget you had your Tallboy by it's top tube up over your head, as you made your way out into the curve of the strait you
    dropped down into chest deep water!

Then you spun a 720 (as we "obtusely" screamed OH **** JOHNNY you can make it) flailing about
    for few seconds you jumped (like a bad Hulk movie) and were out of danger!
    After all the OXOX's you showed us that your bike was completely dry.

Just don't tell anyone or they'll try to pass a Stupid MTBR Law

JJK
    AZ MTBR

Deep Water

Yep it was an adventure. Raybum you were right , that water was too deep, lucky i made it out alive. Musta been my high bodyfat kept me afloat. My pal CJ woulda found me floating downriver, i think he just would have grabbed the SC Tallboy and said see ya.. Bad part was i had to climb that dang rocky hill to get back uo to Maggie Mine rd.

Later,
    JohnnyK

JJK
    AZ MTBR

Solo riding

Hey TacoBeer,

I would not want to ride out there alone at night, unless you had a gun. Never know about them MTN Lions eating you. we talked about that last nite and when i was hiking up that dang rocky singletrack by myself i got chills thinking i may be dinner for a big Kitty Cat.. guess my old age is making me soft. LOL

See ya
    Johnny K

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    That is the oddest spam ever