Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BCT Mega C2C

Ahhh the pain....

BCT Mega C2C

Today, dtownmtb (and wife), steveland and myself braved the epic cold, dusting of snow and winds to do a BCT Mega C2C. We started on Hwy 169 and rode some jeep roads, almost non-existent cow tracks, and no tracks to connect to the northern extent of BCT. From there, we rode the tail winds and bounced over the posted holed sections of BCT all the way down to Emery Hendersen. 82 miles and between 6 and 7k of climbing...((20 additional miles north of hwy 69)
    Here's an epically weak picture of us when we started...hopefully dtown will post some more pics...he was the designated photographer...
    BCT Mega C2C-bctmegastart.jpg
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Nice day in the saddle!! Wish I could have made it, cold and all. What time did you get rolling? Finish? Steve told me he had to bail to RS & wait for pickup from you, but it sounded like you just beat sunset. Also, how many miles is it from hwy 169 south to the 'official' northern terminus of the BCT?
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ahhh the pain....
    Looks like based on my GPS track, we got rolling at about 7:45AM. The route I sketched out from Hwy 169 down to the northern terminus of BCT at Orme Rd is about 8 miles, some of which was rolling across open land with just faint tracks. All in all, still scenic, fun stuff albeit in some directions we were riding straight into a cold headwind.
    Yeah, I felt bad for Steve having to bail due to chainring bolt issues.
    I rolled in right at 6:30PM making it 10:45 on the bike for me.
    There's probably more ways to access the north end (like drive west on Orme Rd), but I wanted to scope out some trail for Tim's Central AZ500 route too.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nice Ride Ray... You always impress!
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I was ill-prepared with no spare chainring bolts. Ray had one that he lent, that I saw another one ready to go on the switch backs up to Rock Springs so decided to bail there rather than get stuck with 20+ miles back.

It was good to ride the stuff N of 69, even though beginning of the day kind of sounded like a joke. "So, 4 singlespeeders shuttle to the top of Hwy 169..."

Rated E for Epic

Quote Originally Posted by stevland View Post
    "So, 4 singlespeeders shuttle to the top of Hwy 169..."
    Ha! I like that. First all SS ride I've done it a while.

This was another of Ray's crazy-assed ideas - but I liked the sound of it and was excited to 'get it done'. It started out with a bit of route finding and some riding through an open field where a path should have been. However, we soon enough hooked up to the top of BCT and I figured from there it would be smooth riding.

Unfortunately, our bovine friends seem to like traveling
    on BCT after it rains. They made a mess of some trail that was nice and smooth in the fall. Hopefully, time and more traffic will fix that. At any rate,some of the sections north of 69 are just ridiculous fun. Flowy, downhill ripping - guaranteed to make you smile. I hope more people get up there.

Somewhere north of Antelope Creek Canyon Ray and Steve took off - they were trying to make it to the end before sundown. I knew that Nancy and I couldn't do that kind of pace, so we just settled into "touring" mode. That gave me time to take a few pictures anyway. They can be viewed here.
    BCT - C2C Photos by ziemsj01 | Photobucket

At the end of the day, I recorded 79.2 miles and 10,000(!) feet of climbing. Not too far off the Gila. However, we did lose about 2600 feet of elevation from start to finish, so there was a whole lot of downhilling. Also, BCT is so much more rideable than the Gila was - very little HAB. Overall, the ride was just fun. It was a joy to be out there. For Nancy and I the total time was 12:40 (remember, touring pace). I'm kind of glad we took longer since we got to experience dusk and some night riding. I love being out in the desert at night. Fortunately Ray and Steve were patient - they had to wait for us to finish so we could complete the shuttle.

This was a pretty stout ride, but highly recommended.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Great job out there guys. Impressive feat.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Jesus, I rode 86 miles THIS MONTH, that's impressive.
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post

This was another of Ray's crazy-assed ideas - but I liked the sound of it and was excited to 'get it done'. It started out with a bit of route finding and some riding through an open field where a path should have been. However, we soon enough hooked up to the top of BCT and I figured from there it would be smooth riding.

on BCT after it rains. They made a mess of some trail that was nice and smooth in the fall. Hopefully, time and more traffic will fix that. At any rate,some of the sections north of 69 are just ridiculous fun. Flowy, downhill ripping - guaranteed to make you smile. I hope more people get up there.

Somewhere north of Antelope Creek Canyon Ray and Steve took off - they were trying to make it to the end before sundown. I knew that Nancy and I couldn't do that kind of pace, so we just settled into "touring" mode. That gave me time to take a few pictures anyway. They can be viewed here.

At the end of the day, I recorded 79.2 miles and 10,000(!) feet of climbing. Not too far off the Gila. However, we did lose about 2600 feet of elevation from start to finish, so there was a whole lot of downhilling. Also, BCT is so much more rideable than the Gila was - very little HAB. Overall, the ride was just fun. It was a joy to be out there. For Nancy and I the total time was 12:40 (remember, touring pace). I'm kind of glad we took longer since we got to experience dusk and some night riding. I love being out in the desert at night. Fortunately Ray and Steve were patient - they had to wait for us to finish so we could complete the shuttle.

Nice job with the pics. That last shot at twilight is pretty sweet!

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    So my new plan is to buy a drone so I can follow you guys around from my stupid couch. NPR says as long as I don't make a profit, I don't have to license it with the FAA. My picture library is dreadfully thin on new stuff. Sweet ride too - I've had that one on my radar for a long while now.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

pedaller
    Awesome!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    So my new plan is to buy a drone so I can follow you guys around from my stupid couch. ...
    Make sure you get the "endurance model" as Ray's gas tank will last longer than the drone's!
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Make sure you get the "endurance model" as Ray's gas tank will last longer than the drone's!
    No joke. Maybe a weather balloon tied to his seat post would work better. I'd need a lot of hang time.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    I'm just here for pics of the wife.

mtbr member
    Very impressive. So, whats the secret to keep going and going after mile 40? Goo? Energy drinks? Red Bull?

mtbr member
    Stubbornness and stupidity mainly.
    Physically speaking - a lot of eating and hydrating along the way. I don't like goos as much as I do bars and bananas and apples. Caffeine doesn't hurt. Ray stashed a few 12oz Mt.Dews for us about 45 miles in. Search through the Endurance board and you'll get a lot better idea of what to eat and how to train.

Give it a crank
    Wow, that's some serious riding, congrats to you guys! So the designated photog got only one shot, we want more!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Nice pics Jeff, you all sure look cold in that first shot!! Now I know why you had to finish after sunset, stopping for the rookie to fix all those mechanicals!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Quote Originally Posted by stevland View Post
    Stubbornness and stupidity mainly.
    Physically speaking - a lot of eating and hydrating along the way. I don't like goos as much as I do bars and bananas and apples. Caffeine doesn't hurt. Ray stashed a few 12oz Mt.Dews for us about 45 miles in. Search through the Endurance board and you'll get a lot better idea of what to eat and how to train.
    Agreed. The mental game is VERY important in something that long. And being mentally deficient is helpful.

Proper nutrition is different for everyone and takes lots of experience and experimentation to nail down. My wife and I do it very differently, but it works for each of us. In addition to the usual power food, I like a burrito or wrap for somewhere around halfway through. Usually wash it down with a Red Bull. Oh, and I brought chocolate covered espresso beans yesterday - that was nice. That bit of real food helps me physically and mentally. My wife tends to survive more on shot blocks and gus.

Also, on the physical side, a good quality pair of shorts and DZ Nutz is very helpful.

And, yes, I was pretty pleased how the twilight shot turned out. When I saw that beautiful full moon near the saguaro, just had to get a pic. I love riding from day into night and vice versa. Even better when it is on the same ride.

you mean the goober with the funny looking socks?

Actually Nancy is the only one that didn't have a mechanical the whole day.

mtbr member

Great pictures! I should have come along, but wasn't sure if I could ride that far on my SS.
    -boom

livin' the dream......
    Great work guys (and gal!)

Rich, I bet you would have made it!!

Meatbomb
    DZ Nutz is very helpful.

I'm sure I'll hate myself for asking but ... Que?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I'm sure I'll hate myself for asking but ... Que?
    DZ Nuts PRO

For longer bike rides...
    -boom

Tucson, AZ
    Way to kill it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast