mtbr member
    Jun 2010

BCT Little Pan Loop: First run

My first roll on this ride (and the BCT period) and I do have to say it is a great one. Thanks to Raybum and his site, I was able to get the GPX file loaded to my Garmin and since I was riding it solo with no one to guide me, it was a MUST. I certainly would have gotten lost on the east side of the Pan Loop crossing the river valley and having to head up that length of jeep road. Even with the Garmin guiding me, I still passed by the short steep up to finish the loop and had to double back......thank you GPS. I had to poke around at the river crossing at the bottom for the west side of the loop but that one wasn't too bad, you would probably be ok without a GPS there but the bike tracks go in all different directions making things a bit confusing. I am nick-naming this trail relentless as it wasn't technically difficult but it was always climbing or decending and the exposure wasn't too concerning BUT it required diligent attention as to not make a dumb mistake and find yourself beginning a DH career. Not a soul seen other than that big dog I came face to face with that had me concerned since he didn't look too good. He just moved on luckily.

Any suggestions on my next BCT challenge? Other than a C2C2C! :-)

Oh yeah, I did hear gun shots so I got the BCT experience I was expecting! :-)

workin' it Administrator
    I can't wait to get up and do this ride sometime! It looks amazing the article in the Dec Dirt Rag didn't do anything to dissuade me on its awesomeness. Perhaps Spring Fling perhaps some other time but I need to do this one.
    Try this: HTFU

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Nice job nvjiop (my version of your screen name), next up try the AES route including the Antelope Creek segment. I think you'll dig it. Yeah, it's about 21 miles of dirt road to the top, but oh so worth it. You can grab the GPX file here: AES BCT SS Have fun!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

EDR
    Hey thanks for the gps info.

Now that I got it down to 500 points I'll be using it soon I hope.

One question: LPL...CW or CCW is best?
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 02-10-2012 at 09:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjaghblb View Post
    Any suggestions on my next BCT challenge?
    I've only done BCT twice. The first I did your ride. I did this a couple weeks ago, and it was a challenge. The first half was all dirt road--although I guess you can throw some ST in--and the last was all really fun singletrack. It did kick my butt, and some of the exposure scared the **** out of me. But it was fun.

Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post

One question: LPL...CW or CCW is best?
    CCW flows better IMO.

My first time out there I started at the EH TH then did the LPL CW & bonked hard after the second river crossing. Ended up hitching a ride back to my car that day, brutal. Not that has anything to do really with directional flow of the trail, but I did enjoy CCW more!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    CCW flows better IMO.
    +1...absolutely.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have to agree with CCW, thats the way I did it and so it was downhill on nice singletrack and uphill on the much more boring jeep road on the northern end of the loop. I would have been disappointed to waste the fun down on the jeep road.

I am Walt
    I am nick-naming this trail relentless as it wasn't technically difficult but it was always climbing or decending and the exposure wasn't too concerning BUT it required diligent attention as to not make a dumb mistake and find yourself beginning a DH career.
    Excellent depiction of BCT; I'd also put Picketpost in the same "relentless" category. You need to be constantly, actively "riding" your bike...and paying attention.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Excellent depiction of BCT; I'd also put Picketpost in the same "relentless" category. You need to be constantly, actively "riding" your bike...and paying attention.
    Funny as I was thinking the same thing when I wrote that. I joined Freeskier on a run from PP to Kelvin just after the trail was opened through and it was definitely a beatdown for sure! I remember getting to the river valley and thinking....."cake".....for the rest of the ride......boy was I wrong!! Next test for me is the OP in a week!! Fun trail but I will see how my attitude is holding up at 3am!

I am Walt
    Next test for me is the OP in a week!! Fun trail but I will see how my attitude is holding up at 3am!
    What are you racing at OP?
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    I'm planning on doing a first pass of this trail Sunday with a "tour" of what I have heard is the good stuff. Start will either be where the trail starts on Hwy 69 or where the trail crosses the road south of Cordes. The plan is to ride as far south as Table Mesa TH or maybe Emery Henderson TH. Any suggestions or things to know for that route? Also, how 'clean' is the trail? I haven't sampled the tubeless kool-aid and have never been a fan of slime. Is this trail going to turn my tires into pin cushions?

Ahhh the pain....
    The trail is pretty clean, but I'd change to tubeless pronto. Until you do, carry lots of spare tubes. There's bound to be a few cholla on the trail.
    If you're going to do a one way, I'd say start at either hwy69 or at the top of Antelope Canyon. Then either stop at Rock Springs, Table Mesa, or Emery Henderson depending on how far you want to ride. And take a lot of water...gonna be warm out there Saturday.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    BCT is relentless. It is a rather easy trail as well, just very physical in it's very nature. It flows sooo sweet and the lines are so nice it puts you at your ability level via the "fun factor" almost all the time. You are either accelerating or decelerating, braking or turning. It begs your complete attention as Walt says, The lines were chosen by people with a vision of perfection. This trail is as close to perfect as anything I've ridden......ever.

I know that description is counterintuitive but that's what it is. It's also very addicting

Barn Sale in Durango and and Believe it or not "Black Canyon Trail" in Moose Wyoming on the continental divide are a close second. But what we have in the Bradshaw mountains is truly a gift.

Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    What are you racing at OP?
    Doing a team run, 4 people total so the suffering really shouldn't be that bad. Looks
    Like we will all be arriving early Friday after reading the posts about how crazy it is setting up camp. I am looking forward to it!!!

I am Walt
    Doing a team run, 4 people total so the suffering really shouldn't be that bad. Looks
    Like we will all be arriving early Friday after reading the posts about how crazy it is setting up camp. I am looking forward to it!!!
    Nice...Deanna and I are both doing solo SS, so come say Hi to us on Solo Alley!
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    This trail is as close to perfect as anything I've ridden......ever.
    Hmmm...I find the last stream crossing(going CCW) really depressing. The ATV's, jeeps, gunshots, a prospector (by the 4 yellow posts), and trash are a stark contrast to the pristine desert encountered during the rest of the ride.

Ahhh the pain....
    Yeah, there are a few places on BCT where the other users of the area don't do much for it's look. But, given a trail over 60 miles long, I'll put up with that for those few sections.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/