Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: BCT horse race

  1. #1
    Carnivore
    Reputation: gila monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    339

    BCT horse race

    I rode BCT from Hidden Treasure mine to the Bumble Bee/Glorianna Mine TH and back yesterday and found myself in the middle of an endurance horse race. It wasn't so bad going against their direction where I could just stop and let them by but it sucked to be passing them from behind all the way back. Everybody was totally cool but I swear every time I passed a group they started galloping just to make me ride faster to stay ahead. Seriously, I'd catch them pretty quickly then once I got by they were riding like the Pony Express. It wasn't a big deal on the flats and downs but I probably set a new KOM on Strava on the climb up from Bumble Bee. If I were into that sort of thing.

    It would be awesome for them and us if we could somehow know when they are planning such events or let them know when we are having BCT races etc. Does anybody know how this might be accomplished?

    BTW. it must be something about running the horses hard that makes them get the runs. Nothing like riding over a warm fresh horse pie and having it splash all over my bike and legs.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BCTJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    700
    Yeah, horses and bikes don't mix so well. I know alot of times when I encounter horses on the trail, they look at me like "What are you doing here?" Apparently, some horse owners haven't yet entered the 21st century. They also seem to think that my shiny bike is going to scare their horse off the trail or something.

  3. #3
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,871
    Quote Originally Posted by gila monster View Post

    It would be awesome for them and us if we could somehow know when they are planning such events or let them know when we are having BCT races etc. Does anybody know how this might be accomplished?
    Next time you are out and come across them, ask who organizes the races. I'm sure they have a web site that should include a schedule of events.

  4. #4
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,452
    Quote Originally Posted by gila monster View Post
    Everybody was totally cool but I swear every time I passed a group they started galloping just to make me ride faster to stay ahead. Seriously, I'd catch them pretty quickly then once I got by they were riding like the Pony Express.
    It's just like the freeway. The easiest way to get someone to speed up is to try to pass them

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanyonTrailJunkie View Post
    Yeah, horses and bikes don't mix so well. I know alot of times when I encounter horses on the trail, they look at me like "What are you doing here?" Apparently, some horse owners haven't yet entered the 21st century. They also seem to think that my shiny bike is going to scare their horse off the trail or something.
    Yes, your bike might actually scare their horses off the trail...it happens (horses are kind of stupid like that).

    However, all of the horse encounters I've had in AZ have been positive...whether it's at Phoenix Sonoran Preserve, Cave Creek Park, BCT, Maricopa Trail, etc..... I usually pull off the trail, talk to the owners as they pass...everything is good...

    BTW, have you heard of the Emery Henderson Trail Head on the BCT? Have you ever wondered who Emery Henderson was? He helped spearhead the early BCT multi-use recreational trail in the 80's.....(hint: he didn't ride mountain bikes....)

  6. #6
    Carnivore
    Reputation: gila monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    339
    Like I said everybody (including me) was friendly. It was just the number of horses on the trail that was the issue. No big deal usually and I would gladly just skip going on any day they are having an event.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Next time you are out and come across them, ask who organizes the races. I'm sure they have a web site that should include a schedule of events.
    There is going to be an Xterra race (trail run) Sunday 3-24-13 until noon on the BCT from table mesa to rock springs.

    Maybe a Sticky so we can post major events on the trails we ride.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AKA Monkeybutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,318
    Are you sure it was an event? I was just at the meeting Thursday and know nothing of an event going on. How many horses?

  9. #9
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,399
    I remember seeing something a few months back about long distance horse events...it may have been on the frends of prescott equestrians or other somesuch....it was right about the time that big kerfawful sprang up about multi-use in Preskit.

  10. #10
    Lakvoodoo
    Reputation: Lakvoodoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    69
    We were out on the section north of BB on Fri, and they were setting up trail markers/flags along the trail. They couldn't have been nicer to us...all smiles! (Surprising since there were about 10 of us.) Happy trails...
    .
    Get Outside!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    54
    I ran into a heap of runners out at the white tanks yesterday, Xterra race. I abided by the rules and stopped to let them pass. Although the view was nice, it still took a bit out of the ride. I like the idea of a sticky for upcoming events.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chipolopolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    570

    BS and horse poop

    I was out there Sunday. Whoever the organizer is, how about pulling your ribbons, how about keeping those 2000# jackhammers ON THE TRAIL instead of walking around the slightest little bit of cat claw. Those things do way more damage than a Metzler.

    The poop, I could care less, just a catchy title
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •