mtbr member
    May 2008

BCT Epic--South to North?

Has anyone done BCT from Carefree Hwy to Antelope Canyon as a one-way ride? Seems like it would be about 45 miles...

Ahhh the pain....
    Floxy,
    Yep, done it...2x, both with BP gear on the bike... It's closer to 60 miles and there are some options to make it a bit easier, and have a stop for water in BCC.

I would however, start at Emery Henderson Trailhead and skip the 6 or so miles of relatively boring, flat desert. After you cross the Agua Fria for the 2nd time and then climb a bit, you'll have a choice whether to exit the trail at rock springs and head into BCC for food/water or continue north on the trail. If you exit the trail, you can simply rejoin it where you left, or continue north and climb maggie mine road and jump back on at Arastre Creek.

Lots of options and as always, a great ride out there.

Before you go, be sure to check this for agua fria water flow....
    USGS Current Conditions for USGS 09512800 AGUA FRIA RIVER NEAR ROCK SPRINGS, AZ

With any kind of storms in the watershed, the flow can spike tremendously and you can find the agua fria go from inches deep to over 8' in a matter of hours.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Awesome, thanks. I was thinking of skipping the flat section as well. Is it 60ish from Emory to the end? Any chance you have a gpx?

Ahhh the pain....
    pm sent...
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Maybe you could be the first to ride the Phoenix to Sedona route.

BlackCanyonTrail - Phoenix to Sedona?

I'd like to do it myself but I'm still saving cash for my new bike. I had a lot of money saved up in the bank and then yesterday I got drained by a really expensive car repair. The mechanic told me that if I didn't get it done, my brakes could freeze up and the crash would not be pretty. I guess you never know whether those guys are honest or not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanyonTrailJunkie View Post
    Maybe you could be the first to ride the Phoenix to Sedona route.

BlackCanyonTrail - Phoenix to Sedona?

I'd like to do it myself but I'm still saving cash for my new bike. I had a lot of money saved up in the bank and then yesterday I got drained by a really expensive car repair. The mechanic told me that if I didn't get it done, my brakes could freeze up and the crash would not be pretty. I guess you never know whether those guys are honest or not.
    That stinks! Not sure what kind of car you have, but I have a friend who owns his own repair shop and is an avid CYCLIST too! He is brutally honest, his techs have been with him for years (a good sign) and they have pretty quick turn around. I have used him a few times, sent my Mom-in-law and baby sitter to him and I never have to go and follow up or make sure they aren't getting screwed. He isn't always the cheapest, but he uses quality parts, it gets done right, honestly and he stands behind his work. Dave at Advanced Auto 602-765-3909. Tell him Cory sent you.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I'll have to check that out the next time I have mechanical issues.