Just another half mile...

Good job! BCT Copper Mountain Loop Approved!!

A new 7.6 mile loop off of the BCT north of SR 69 has been approved by BLM and will be ready for trail construction next season. BLM has released the Decision Record, Finding of No Significant Impact and the Environmental Assessment. See copy of email below with more info.

Dear Interested Member of the Public:

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Hassayampa Field Office is pleased to announce the release of the Copper Mountain Loop Trail Construction Plan Decision Record, Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) and Environmental Assessment (EA) on the BLM website. With the receipt of notification of the Decision Record, a 30-day appeal period begins. Please see the Decision Record for specific appeal information.

The BLM prepared an EA and determined that a FONSI was warranted. After the environmental examination was conducted, the BLM concluded that the preferred action will not have a significant effect on the human environment.

The Decision Record, environmental assessment and accompanying documents are available online at:

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...A-FONSI-DR.pdf

Copies are available for your review at the Phoenix District Office. Your questions can be answered by calling Mary Skordinsky at 623-580-5586 or via email at Mskordin@blm.gov.

We appreciate your interest and encourage your continued involvement as the BLM continues implementation work on the Black Canyon National Recreation Trail.

Kathleen Depukat, Project Manager
    for D. Remington Hawes, Hassayampa Field Manager
    Hassayampa Field Office
    21605 N. 7th Avenue
    Phoenix, AZ 85027
    623-580-5681

LT-5
    Oct 2005

Saweeet!

That's good news Dale. I'm sure a lot of work went into this just to gain the approval.

I hope to be able to join in the fun of building this new loop!

mtbr member
    I'll keep an eye peeled for some trailwork dates

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Great news!

Just A Mountain Biker.
    I don't know how I will be able to contain myself until "next season".

mtbr member
    excellent

My other ride is your mom
    I'm really diggin' the momentum the BCT has; thanks to many on this board who have put in a lot of sweat equity over the years to make it a reality.

Thanks! It been a fun an rewarding journey. There are even more trails planned. BLM is working on the environmental document now to clear the way for the Slate Creek loop that will add another loop opportunity out of the Black Canyon City TH. Hopefully by this time next year the NEPA document will be complete. The Slate Creek section will be going through some rugged terrain and may take a couple of years to build, but should be spectacular when completed, and will provide a bypass to the jeep road section on the Kay Mine Section for the through bikers. The approximate route of the Slate Creek section is shown in blue on this MAP.

And on top of that, the BLM will be building motorized singletrack east of the Little Pan Tech Loop, which will be open to mountain bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I'm really diggin' the momentum the BCT has; thanks to many on this board who have put in a lot of sweat equity over the years to make it a reality.

mtbr member
    more good news on BCT! Thanks for the update.

UPDATE!

BLM had a training crew out working the new Copper Mountain Loop and completed just under a mile of new trail. Hopefully BLM will be able to find some funds or grants before next trail building season to hire more crews so we can get this completed next season with the help of volunteer crews.

Got a suspension fork
    It just keeps getting better.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    This looks awesome.

Any idea when they may install water fountains along the trail? If golf courses have a multitude of water fountains installed, shouldn't mountain bike trails too?

Give it a crank
    That's an awesome addition. Great work, Dale. BCT is getting better and better.

I'm curious if there's any ideas to build trails further up into the Bradshaws Mtns. Those mountains could have some amazing mtb trails in addition to BCT.

mtbr member

Big Bug and Drinking Snake section

Thinking about doing these sections on my way up to Prescott later this week. How's the condition of the trails? I'll have an intermediate rider with me, she loves DC and K-Trail. Would this be a good ride for her?
    AKA: G-wat

She will have no problems with this section. The hardest part was the first climb out of the Big Bug TH, but that was cleaned up a couple weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bugaroo View Post
    Thinking about doing these sections on my way up to Prescott later this week. How's the condition of the trails? I'll have an intermediate rider with me, she loves DC and K-Trail. Would this be a good ride for her?

No plans to build trails up into the Bradshaws from the BCT. There are already several trails up in the bradshaws that are work exploring. Several of them are used by the the motos and are in bad shape. Monkeybutt has done some recent exploring around the Crown King area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    That's an awesome addition. Great work, Dale. BCT is getting better and better.

I'm curious if there's any ideas to build trails further up into the Bradshaws Mtns. Those mountains could have some amazing mtb trails in addition to BCT.

DFMBA.org
    I'm jazzed about this!
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.