mtbr member

BCT - Black Canyon City to Little Pan Loop

Guys,
    I am thinking about riding BCT from Black Canyon City to the start of the little pan loop.

Is there a sign when you get to the loop? I don't know I want duplicate Ray's Whole enchilada ride at 23 miles, but when I get to the loop it would make a nice turn around point.

I don't want to get stuck on 3-4 hr ride on a summer moring. Just because Ray can do it in 2:30 does not mean I can. I'd rather shoot for the first part to the loop and then back in 3hrs or so.
    Last edited by JoePAz; 07-15-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If I remember correctly you will get to a jeep road about 7 miles into the ride. That is where the loop begins / ends.

Ahhh the pain....
    Hey Joe,
    Yep, you'll cross a small dirt road, then cross a big dirt road. Technically, the top of the loop is still another few miles. Just pick up the trail on the other side of the big dirt road and then the top of the loop will be a big dirt clearing (you will descend down to it through a couple rocky switchbacks).
    At that clearing, you'll see the big dirt road down to the left. You can take it back up to pick up the trail if you want to do a small loop.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    With all of the talk of trailbuilding, I wonder that they don't take a little time to install a few more signs at that point of the BCT. I know I've come close to getting lost at that point when I was first riding the trail.

mtbr member
    I am not sure if I get exactly what you are describing. Looking at the satellite view I can see the clearing. I am guessing the roads are much further back.

My target is to run the following.
    Whole Enchilada Part 1 BCC to LPL

Strava Segment | Whole Enchilada Part 1 BCC to LPL

Based on the times on Strava I figure I can run that in 1:30. That would put my rounnd trip at 3hrs. Looking at the Stava trace it appears that I should be targeting 9 to 9.5 miles on my bike computer and the big clearing. The nice thing about out and back is that if for some reason I get tired or to it gets too late I can turn back and I know what I face.

I might run that this weekend or maybe just from Emery again. Depends if I get my neighbor to ride with me. If I do I will probably just show him EH to Boy Scout and over the first hill and probably out to the top of the 2nd climb. Depends on how far he wants to ride. If I go solo I will probably ride this out and back to change things up a bit. I have to keep things fresh to keep them fun.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Looks like my neigbor is in so I will ride out from Emery Henderson this Saturday. 5:30am probably hitting the trail at 5:35. Not sure how far we will ride. I rode with him once before and he seems to be a strong rider so who knows.

So maybe next week I will do BCT from Black Canyon City. It is really nice having multiple ride options close.
    Joe

mtbr member
    The north end of LPL isn't too hard to miss. Definitely look at the satellite imagery and you'll see where the trail meets the road from the eastern side of LPL. Now the south end of LPL is VERY easy to miss heading southbound (northbound is easier to see). I learned that one day when I ended up at Table Mesa Road with a very confused look on my face.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Been there done that ECEGatorTuro, I missed the turn to LPL twice before I met up with Raybum and he showed me the way. It is marked better than it used to be. You don't want to go the wrong way in this heat and not be ready for it. Hydrate hydrate hydrate.

mtbr member
    I did the ride this morning. I took a wrong turn, nearly got lost and it started to rain. Then I back tracked and found the trail. The rain let up and had a solid ride. Made it to the start of the little pan loop and back. My gps track got a little messed up due to making the wrong turn. I need to try to fix it.

Interesting trail as it is mostly cut into the side of the mountain.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Those endless switchbacks in and out of washes get tiring, huh? It looks a whole lot easier on paper.

mtbr member
    Yeah. It does look easier on paper. Good ride though. It took me 1:42 mintues to get to the little pan start. The 1:21 to get back. Next ride will faster since that 1:42 includes being lost for 15 mintues and being very tentative. Lost of tight turns I did not want to run too fast and fly off the mountain on one of those tight turns. I will need to run this trail again.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Yeah, I've nearly fallen down into the wash more than a few times making those turns. Kind of makes me question whether its a good idea to ride the trail alone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanyonTrailJunkie View Post
    Yeah, I've nearly fallen down into the wash more than a few times making those turns. Kind of makes me question whether its a good idea to ride the trail alone.
    Yeah... That is why I rode it really catiously. I saw 3 hikers and one mountain biker on the trail. That was all. The good thing is that I believe the entire ride is in cell range. I have my phone's GPS set to sent out updates to my wife every 30 mintues with my location and if I don't move for an hour it sends out an emergency to her with my GPS location. No fool proof, but better than nothing. Still safety starts by riding in your limits.

For some reason my strava track is adding 7 hrs elapsed for no real reason during the big climb out of the wash. Not sure why, but I was able to upload new track that from where I got lost to the rest of the ride. At least that one shows I did the climb right were I would expect. Mid pack. Certainly better than last which what Strava shows when you just add 7 hrs.

Might give it a try to ride again next Saturday. We will see however. The nice part of the rain however was ground was nicely packed at least. Zero dust.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Maybe I could go with you if I still had a bike. Speaking of which, I noticed you live in Anthem. If you see some punk riding around with a Mongoose Canaan Comp full suspension bike could you let me know....its most probably mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BCT -   Black Canyon City to Little Plan Loop-mongoose_2010_canaan_comp.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanyonTrailJunkie View Post
    Maybe I could go with you if I still had a bike. Speaking of which, I noticed you live in Anthem. If you see some punk riding around with a Mongoose Canaan Comp full suspension bike could you let me know....its most probably mine.
    When are you planning on picking up a new set of wheels? I've got a Fuel you might be interested in if you're in the market. I'm up in Anthem as well and am on the BCT as much as anyone. We'll have to hit the trail together when you get back in the game.

mtbr member
    PM sent.