Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bash Guard

No Clue Crew

Bash Guard

After this weekend and noticing that my big ring is already badly damaged after less than a half dozen rides on the new bike I've been encourage to get a bash guard.

This popped up on Chainlove a while ago for $15. I've got a Pitch with a 22/32/44 setup and I only had about 20 seconds to make a purchase so I got the red one in 34t size. It's made of aluminum but I think some of the trend is towards the plastic versions.

Is this 34t gonna work or should I look for something else? Is the "Bolt Circle Diameter" of 104mm the proper size/dimension for my Pitch? I would assume that most nuts & bolts are somewhat standardized but in my 40-some-odd-years I've learned to never take something so simple for granted.

Ted at DNA Cycles said the only think I'd need for installing a bash guard (besides the guard) would be longer bolts since this guard is thicker than the cog is. Would those bolts come with this guard?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Might not need different bolts.. I didn't with my raceface alum one that's probably the same as yours

mtbr member
    Or I guess if i did need them, they came with it.. Either way I didn't have to go find new longer ones

RHRF!
    Never needed longer bolts with my RF BG.
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

Bloodied but Unbowed
    That'll work. I have the same one except for 36T and black. Works great and is very light and durable.

mtbr member
    usually when you go to a basher you remove the large chain ring. that allows the original bolts to still work. the extra clearance is so nice for rock hopping.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    bigO, same guard that I run, didn't need longer bolts, the 104 is just what you need, the aluminum is very durable. Mine were $45 a pop, nice deal that you got.

mtbr member
    If in the future you want to change color, you can't go wrong with BBG bashguards for $18 shipped.

No Clue Crew
    Great news! I assumed that 34t had the outer diameter of a 34t cog which would be slightly larger than the 32t ring I have on the middle and quite a bit smaller than the 44t large ring so I should have some extra clearance. No I'll need to work on my pedal stroke to avoid the pedal strikes...

"No Clue Crew"
    Spray paint it black!

skilldest©
    Mike - Unfortunately that will not work for your bike. You need to give it to me. It had to be said! Good call with getting that bash guard. After last weekend I changed my tires out to UST because the burping and sidewall tears were driving me nuts. I have been looking around for a bash guard too. I think Red wouldl look good on your bike.

edit: I am color blined so don't listen to what I have to say...was just told that bash guard in the pic is orange not red...

Got a suspension fork
    You may not remember, but I tried warning you about running a large ring - they just get trashed...
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

skilldest©

thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz
    If in the future you want to change color, you can't go wrong with BBG bashguards for $18 shipped.
    ordered one - mystery color

Let'er Buck
    I put a bashguard on after slicing 4 could size chunks of meat out of my calf from slipping and being attacked by my big ring.
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Mike, I think I have the exact same bike (Pitch Pro 2010 in brown) as you, save for the paint. I bought the exact (well, green not red) same bash guard from Chainlove about 3 weeks back. I took mine for it's first ride with the guard and ground some paint off of it on Waterfall on Saturday.

I received the green bash guard in 3 days from Chainlove even though I had paid for the slow boat 2 week service. Excellent delivery and service from them so far.

I slipped my big ring off and the bash guard on and used the same bolts that came with the bike with no issues. You will be fine with the setup you purchsed.

Was probably the easiest upgrade to a bike I have ever attempted. 4 bolts and the ring slips over the pedal and off followed in reverse by the bash guard.

Some day I want to get a chain guide on there as well but I really don't know how they work except for the all inclusive bash guard/chain guide systems. I need to do some research on the chain guide and see what I can find. If you find anything let me know!

I'm dying to run into you up on the mountain now! Our bikes are practically like non-identical twins separated at birth! OK, too stalker-ish for you??? I'll be looking for the yellow Pitch up there now every time I ride. Hope to see you around the valley sometime.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    e13 offers a nice guide that works with reliably dual chain rings. There are others out there as well.

EDR
    Great news! I assumed that 34t had the outer diameter of a 34t cog which would be slightly larger than the 32t ring I have on the middle
    Mike, a 34t bash is made to cover a 34t ring, and so on. If you ever decide to move to a 34t middle ring you're good to go with that bash.

Check out the Blackspire Stinger chain tensioner, it makes a pretty solid 2 ring set up when paired with your bash... for little money.

mtbr member

chain guide

Quote Originally Posted by thebrow

Some day I want to get a chain guide on there as well but I really don't know how they work except for the all inclusive bash guard/chain guide systems. I need to do some research on the chain guide and see what I can find. If you find anything let me know!
    You might consider a "Ronnie ring" Cactus sells them for about $20. They prevent the chain from jumping off the small ring (in the event that the front derailleur cannot). They work slick, and are very easy to install. My AM bike was always dropping the chain off the front no matter what I did, this little gem solved the issue for good...
    Check my pulse...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks to all the answers concerning a chain guide or similar device. I'll be looking each of these over tonight and get an order in.

Mike, only time I have ever had the chain drop on my bike was on National last Saturday after putting the bash guard on. Probably not a case of the bash guard contributing to the chain jump but more likely the bike loosening up still since it is still fairly new (bought in November '10)

Thanks again for the responses!

mtbr member
    You new to bash guard guys may or may not know this, but once you are no longer running a big ring you can shorten your chain accordingly, this will help in the chain dropping area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er
    You new to bash guard guys may or may not know this, but once you are no longer running a big ring you can shorten your chain accordingly, this will help in the chain dropping area.
    Good call. I went to a medium cage derailleur when I took the big ring off and I haven't dropped a chain since, with a shortened chain of course.

PNF Ax Man.
    Dec 2010

removing anodize tip:

Here's a tip some of you may or may not know. If you've got an anodized part that is faded or you just want to remove the anodizing color, use this stuff:

It will remove the color and give you a natural aluminum finish that you can polish or not. Just let it soak and rinse.

Dash

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    Spray paint it black!
    Hell no! I'm gonna check and see what it costs to powdercoat it purple

Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    You may not remember, but I tried warning you about running a large ring - they just get trashed...
    You're right, I don't, but I'm sure you did. Didn't actually give it a whole lotta thought until that trip up and down National. LOTS of banging on the big ring.

Quote Originally Posted by thebrow
    I'm dying to run into you up on the mountain now! Our bikes are practically like non-identical twins separated at birth! OK, too stalker-ish for you??? I'll be looking for the yellow Pitch up there now every time I ride.
    Slightly stalkerish I'll be around. PMP, SoMo, Deem Hills, anywhere close with some single track...

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Check out the Blackspire Stinger chain tensioner, it makes a pretty solid 2 ring set up when paired with your bash... for little money.
    OK, so school me on the chain tensioner... What's it's purpose? Obviously to tension the chain but I can count on my d1ck how many times my chain has popped off any ring and while that was back with some tamer riding I've never thought of it being a problem. Guess it must be since the 2011 Pitch is a 2x9 with bash & tensioner.

How many links would I knock off?

Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz
    Good call. I went to a medium cage derailleur when I took the big ring off and I haven't dropped a chain since, with a shortened chain of course.
    What's a "medium cage derailleur?" Didn't know there were different size derailleurs...

Thanks for all the info & tangent topics. Good stuff I need to know...

mtbr member

chain length

Good rule of thumb is to set the chain length so it easily makes the circuit around both of the largest rings on each end with the derailleur all the way forward (or off for that matter) plus about 2 links...kinda intuitive, but if you don't happen to know, your chain will be slapping all around and never have good tension...

I second the med cage derailleur as well...nice way to go, works great for 2x9 with the large ring removed.
    Check my pulse...

Get Some!
    i bought the exact same bash guard off chainlove.com
    so did my brother. great purchase, it fit in my iron horse with shimano crankset, and his specialized pitch pro. so it should be seamless. neither him or i needed longer bolts. this particular guard is very thin.

edit: looks like he beat me to it... thebrow is who i was referencing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast