Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Barn Burner

Let'er Buck

Barn Burner

I got a team together for the barn burner this year and it sounds like a fun event. For those of you who participated last year especially in teams is there any advice and anything you would do differently,( how do you know when your teammates are close)? Also and more importantly the party, we are planning to camp Friday and Saturday night on site, is there enough people and fun times to make it worth sticking around Saturday or does it pretty much empty out after the race. Thanks and good luck to everyone.
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

livin' the dream......
    Did not do this last year, but the guys on my team did. They had fun, and we all plan on camping there fri/sat night. Looking forward to this!

Need more cowbell
    Kris....If you guys beat us....please do not stick around. I don't want to hear about it.

Terry, we will see you up there.

mtbr member
    Definitly stick around after the ride. The "bike town" is what makes these events fun. If it where just the ride I would skip it, the course is not much fun to ride.

I would also be interested in advice from those that do these type of relay event often, how do you time the exchange? Don't want to get there too early and sit around stiffening up and definitly don't want to get there late and loose time. Do some of you use 2-way radios, spotters or just guess at when the previous rider will return?

pedaller
    It appears that everyone already has their game face on Alan.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_AlanS
    Definitly stick around after the ride. The "bike town" is what makes these events fun. If it where just the ride I would skip it, the course is not much fun to ride.

I would also be interested in advice from those that do these type of relay event often, how do you time the exchange? Don't want to get there too early and sit around stiffening up and definitly don't want to get there late and loose time. Do some of you use 2-way radios, spotters or just guess at when the previous rider will return?
    For 24 hr races, when I've raced as a team, we'd usually just go down to transition tent around the time we expected the racer to arrive. This was based on previous lap times, racer's confidence level, etc. So obviously don't factor in mechanicals, etc.

Might be a bit more difficult to estimate lap times since the laps for this race as so damn long , especially if you've never riddent the course before

I've tried two-way radios in the past, and didn't really work for me. But that was when the standard radius was like 2 miles. I know now you can get ones that have a huge radius.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

livin' the dream......
    I've been thinking about a better way to do this too. The guys I am racing with did this last year and sounds like they estimated the arrival of the other rider. I am riding 4th for my team so I only have to deal with one exchange!

Weather looks like overnight lows in the 40's! That's going to be a shock to the system for us desert dwellers!

Whiskers.....I expect you to be crushing people with a full summer of p90x and riding under your belt!
    Last edited by tjkm; 09-02-2010 at 07:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    It appears that everyone already has their game face on Alan.

Yeah Noel, appears that way. I can understand why, they don't want to get their @$$es handed to them by the old guys

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm
    Whiskers.....I expect you to be crushing people with a full summer of p90x and riding under your belt!

I eat lightning and crap thunder......bring it.

livin' the dream......
    I guess the p90x has been working!!!!

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm
    I guess the p90x has been working!!!!
    I am now a pedaling god.

mtbr member
    Another question for you experienced relay racers, for the first rider, do you wear your cycling shoes and backpack for the run at the start or change shoes and throw your pack on when you get to your bike?

Kathleen in AZ
    Another question for you experienced relay racers, for the first rider, do you wear your cycling shoes and backpack for the run at the start or change shoes and throw your pack on when you get to your bike?
    you do the run with all your biking gear.

No new blood
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath
    I eat lightning and crap thunder......bring it.
    Ah... the truth is out about why you let me ride in front the other day. You said you were "messing with your gears". I thought you were talking about on the new bike, but it seems your were just being considerate. Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Run? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Run? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So, you have seen me "attempt" to run before. It is quite a sight, that is why I asked the question about the shoes and pack. I hope that there are benches near the bike staging area so I can sit down for a while after "running".

mtbr member
    So, you have seen me "attempt" to run before. It is quite a sight, that is why I asked the question about the shoes and pack. I hope that there are benches near the bike staging area so I can sit down for a while after "running".
    I've "casually" walked the last 4 relay races I've done. Note that 1) I didn't have a team relying on me, 2) I figured that if I'm riding 24 hours (or 100 miles in your case), what's a couple minutes going to matter? and 3) you feel like a stud when you fly by the runners who think they are bikers.

In all seriousness, I've only seen a couple people actually wear their running shoes for the running portion. However, that was because there was actually a prize for the person to finish the run first.

aka Diesel
    Fortunately, my partner will be the one doing the first lap, thus, he can deal with the less-than-dignified run!

Looking forward to this weekend! I'm actually trained, for a change!
    Last edited by CoyoteKis; 09-07-2010 at 01:13 PM.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    Fortunately, my darling partner will be the one doing the first lap, thus, he can deal with the less-than-dignified run!

Since I will be arriving in the nick of time for the race start, and with ZERO sleep, I will also NOT be doing the running start. Or maybe I should? Get my lap over before I turn into a zombie. Hmmmm.....
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBike'sBroken
    Since I will be arriving in the nick of time for the race start, and with ZERO sleep, I will also NOT be doing the running start. Or maybe I should? Get my lap over before I turn into a zombie. Hmmmm.....
    You made for a tasty rabbit stew last year. hehe It was fun chasing you. I say do lap two, so we can make it a tradition. Who needs sleep??? Of course, your first lap dude would have to be as fast as Reade, which, well.. is there anyone faster than Reade?

I'll be camping with the usual clan the night before, possibly Meg-pie if I can talk her into coming with me!
    Last edited by CoyoteKis; 09-07-2010 at 01:15 PM.

"Yabut"
    You made for a tasty rabbit stew last year. hehe It was fun chasing you. I say do lap two, so we can make it a tradition. Who needs sleep??? Of course, your first lap dude would have to be as fast as Reade, which, well.. is there anyone faster than Reade?
    I'm not sure WHO is going first. It could be a dude, or it could be a dudette. I think our fastest guy is pretty damn fast. I think he will be going last, to make up for my non-fastness.
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBike'sBroken
    I'm not sure WHO is going first. It could be a dude, or it could be a dudette. I think our fastest guy is pretty damn fast. I think he will be going last, to make up for my non-fastness.
    Well you ARE slow... very... but we're talking about riding, not mental aptitude.

Sure. You. Slow.
    NOT.

"Yabut"
    Well you ARE slow... very... but we're talking about riding, not mental aptitude.

Sure. You. Slow.
    NOT.
    Watch out, or I'll throw my Happy Meal again. You have been warned.
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

Need more cowbell
    Just sayin......

Skinny is gonna be pissed I posted this.

http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USAZ0068

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath
    Just sayin......

Skinny is gonna be pissed I posted this.

http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USAZ0068
    I could care less, as I'll be holed up in a smelly cabin in Payson with 11 other drunks knee deep in my Fantasy Football draft why you guys slog through the mud!!!! So, the jopkes on you .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast