Rex R

Barn Burner 104- Anyone doing it?

Hey folks! I'll be racing the BB104 in the solo SS category for the first time this weekend. Anyone else jumping in on the fun? I also have a favor to ask you complete strangers- I can't leave home (about 4-5 hour drive away) until noon tomorrow... do you folks think I will have trouble finding a parking / camping spot at the venue? If so would someone mind saving me a tent space? Any veterans have any advice on this race other than its not very SS friendly? See you guys in Flag!

-Rex

My other ride is your mom
    I'd recommend one of these:
    Name:  451752_L1.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  24.2 KB

Rex R
    LOL that's awesome. I have heard dust has been a real issue out there in the past. I saw something on their site about using water trucks this year.... hoping that helps a little!

mtbr member
    The course is plenty SS friendly, I think most people would feel pretty comfortable 32x18 or 19. Good luck solo and SS. The climbs will be a nice break from being spun out on the flats.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by machwon View Post
    Hey folks! I'll be racing the BB104 in the solo SS category for the first time this weekend. Anyone else jumping in on the fun? I also have a favor to ask you complete strangers- I can't leave home (about 4-5 hour drive away) until noon tomorrow... do you folks think I will have trouble finding a parking / camping spot at the venue? If so would someone mind saving me a tent space? Any veterans have any advice on this race other than its not very SS friendly? See you guys in Flag!

-Rex
    I tried SS solo two years ago, and lasted three laps. It was held in Sept then, so the rains had come (in fact, it rained a bit during the race.) The first part of the course is generally flat, or a slight downhill, which makes it frustrating if you have too big of a gear. If memory serves, I ran a 32X18, and got passed by EVERYBODY. The second half has a couple shorter, steepish climbs at the beginning, followed by flat to slightly uphill, until about 4 miles from end. Then, there is a, IMO, brutal 2+ mile climb that takes the wind out of you. Lap 1, I rode everything, lap 2, I walked part of the last climb, lap 3, I walked everything, and lap 4 I was crying like a little baby looking for my bottle of beer feeling sorry for myself.

Last year was held in June, and the dust was unbearable. I rode SS again, but this time on a 4-person team. However, I think because I went out too hard, I had to walk the last part of the climb.

That said, my advice is: pace yourself. It's 104 miles, and you're racing against 4-person teams who can go out for 25 miles. Don't get caught up in the excitement and remember how long the race is. Also, don't be ashamed to walk. The climbs will take their toll on you in the later stages, so save your legs.

Regarding camping, it's a very large open field, and you should have no problem getting a place to camp even if you arrive late. You might not get something close to the S/F--although I think they do reserve some space for solos--but you'll definitely find something. Also, they do allow soloist to set up on the course, so bring what you want for--water bottles, food, a chair, shade, etc.--and put it on the side of the trail.

Good luck!
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member

Re: Barn Burner 104- Anyone doing it?

I will be up there running solo geared. I have done the race twice before. You should be able to get a spot but you will be towards the back or off to the side the main camping area most likely. No big deal though. If you are just one car and a tent I doubt anybody would mind you squeezing in if necessary also. People setup pretty spread out so lots of room to squeeze in.
    As for the race, yes, it's a dust bowl. Especially the first lap. Last year was horrendous. I'm hoping they help us out with the water trucks this year. The course is a breeze. No real techy sections at all. Most technical section is a short descent down a rocky jeep road. Typically gives the less experienced roadie mtbers a little challenge but you can pretty much just plow through it. Need to be mindful of your sidewalls though because there are rocks that could slash them nicely. I also recommend getting up early and getting your pit spot picked out because it gets tight. A lot of people with big canopy's taking up a lot more room then they really need. I usually set up my ice chest and a chair with small umbrella for my girlfriend early to claim just enough territory so I can get to it easily after each lap. Besides that, don't get caught up in the sprint race at the start. You'll see most of those people later or they are people on teams and only have to do 1 or 2 laps. If you can find a group working a reasonable pace jump in and work a pace line to conserve some energy. Its a fast course so you can get some benefit from the draft. Enjoy and good luck!

Specialized Epic 29
    Intense Tracer 29

Rex R
    Thanks for the solid pointers and advice folks! This will be my first long distance SS ride so I am a little nervous- I think longest I've done so far SS was 40 miles of single track. Done several 100Ks geared mtb, and several road centuries so I "think" I have the endurance... Saturday will tell though. I'll be riding a HT 29er with 32x19.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I am going to be doing this race with a 4 man relay team.
    The only other race I have done was 24 hours in the Old Pueblo down near Tucson.
    How long would an average rider take to do the course? I do not have the right bike for the track, but nonetheless, it is a bike I can use. I have a Turner RFX that is built more for downhill... weighing in at 36 lbs.
    One frustration I had at Old Pueblo, was a few jerk pro's being jerks on the single track on one of my night runs. It was not safe for me to "move over" for them, and one in particular was being a majorly rude.

I get it, he is pro and is vigilant in his sport, but no need to be a douche. Because this is a leadville qualifier race, is this something that I should expect more or less of?

mtbr member
    All but a mile of it is fire road. Plenty of room to pass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wulfsburg View Post
    I am going to be doing this race with a 4 man relay team.
    The only other race I have done was 24 hours in the Old Pueblo down near Tucson.
    How long would an average rider take to do the course? I do not have the right bike for the track, but nonetheless, it is a bike I can use. I have a Turner RFX that is built more for downhill... weighing in at 36 lbs.
    One frustration I had at Old Pueblo, was a few jerk pro's being jerks on the single track on one of my night runs. It was not safe for me to "move over" for them, and one in particular was being a majorly rude.

I get it, he is pro and is vigilant in his sport, but no need to be a douche. Because this is a leadville qualifier race, is this something that I should expect more or less of?
    Just get the **** out of there way, and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post

I am always courteous to stay out of everyone's way who gets up behind me. Most riders are polite and understand that I will let someone pass when it is safe to do so, or I can without stopping.

However on single track, if I can't pull off safely, or without stopping, is it bad etiquette to keep riding with someone behind you? According to the staff running Old Pueblo, it is up to the faster rider to pass when needed.

mtbr member

I was being sarcastic. Yes, it's the faster rider's responsibility to pass safely. You should never have to stop to let somebody pass. Slow down and move over is fine.

That said, the Barn Burner course is mega wide. You won't have any issues (well, with the exception of the Nationwide team).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wulfsburg View Post
    . I have a Turner RFX that is built more for downhill... weighing in at 36 lbs.
    36 lbs!!!!!!!!
    That's a terrible bike for this race. you would be much better off with a cheapo walmart hardtail.... strongly suggest that you either borrow, buy or rent a 29 HT - this is pretty much a roadie race.

Need more cowbell
    . You won't have any issues (well, with the exception of the Nationwide team).
    Why?.....why would you do this to me?

Rex R
    Well folks thanks again for the input on the race / venue- it helped a lot. It was dusty again this year but after the first half of the first lab it became manageable. I was able to hold first place SS for the first 72 miles, was feeling great, and then BOOM! Half way down the rock garden I stood to hammer on a short pitchy roller and my chainring exploded into about four pieces. No kidding. A little pissed, disappointed, and frustrated I decided to coast to the bottom of the hill and wait for a sag ride back to the barn about 6 miles away. There I met a guy who had been holding 5th geared for the first couple of laps and then had his first of SIX flats… guess it wasn't either of our day's. To add insult to injury it was probably 25-30 minutes before #2 SS (now #1) went by us. Ugghhh. Having never won a race before (or even close to it lol) It went from being the best race day of my life to one of the more disappointing. The Beer was good- as was the even organization and fellow racers…I'll come back next year and give it another shot I suppose!

Barn Burner 104- Anyone doing it?-cryaboutit.jpgBarn Burner 104- Anyone doing it?-jacked.jpg

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    I bet it's aluminum chain ring, that's why I run steel for single speed. A little heavier but worth it in the long run, years. Good job though, sounds like you were on fire.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member

Steel won't explod and aluminum shouldn't. But if even one crank bolt gets or lets loose-boom! Too bad sounds like you had that one in the bag!

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    **** em, just do like they do in nascar and let them figure out how to pass you...it's their problem.

Rex R
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    I bet it's aluminum chain ring, that's why I run steel for single speed. A little heavier but worth it in the long run, years. Good job though, sounds like you were on fire.

Right you are sir...it was a Blackspire Mono Veloce aluminum. Live and learn for sure...Steel from now on for this guy. And as cstem said- I think it was due to one of the bolts coming just a bit loose judging from the warping around the holes and bend in whats left in the ring. Thanks again guys!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Re: Barn Burner 104- Anyone doing it?

I came down from Minnesota to do this with a friend from Phoenix. I only did two laps, but had a blast.

The climbing wasn't bad, but the rock garden downhill sucked. We don't have that in MN, and I couldn't have gotten on a trail this spring to train even if we did.

The lady who crashed hard right in front of me on the first lap scared the speed right out of this flat-lander, so I apologize to anyone who had to pass me on the second lap......

Team Pedalin' PACEless
    Used this race as my return to mountain biking after a 17 year respite ... it was awesome.

The sea of spandex and lycra was awe-inspiring; the dirt and dust only added to the race's charm. And when they said you would be blowing red and brown boogers for a week, they weren't kidding!!!

Emcee'ing was excellent and my family loved the music piping thru the loudspeakers. I brought both the kids' bikes up (.. 9 year old son and 6 year old daughter ..) and they really beat up that bmx track.

I'd love to do this as a two-rider team next year and then maybe solo in a few.

Thanks to all the staffers and volunteers for putting on a fantastic race !!!

Pj
    Phoenix, AZ
    Team Pedalin' PACEless