Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    wretch
    Reputation: Truckee Trash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,686

    Bar End Key Plugs

    Take that drivers!



    from Backcountry.com

    "These “Bikers’ Revenge” barend plugs are a cute idea if you’re looking to get your head crushed under the tire of some *******’s new F-150. I like them in theory since I’m one of those self-righteous jerks who mentions that he doesn’t own a car (or a TV) whenever given the chance, but I know that in practice this barend plug would just tear up my pants when I walked past my bike in my house. Likely it would also tear up the wall so that I’d have to paint it before moving out, and then it would scratch up my friend’s car who’s helping me move."

  2. #2
    sixsixtysix
    Guest
    I used to run these when I was commuting in Chicago, little more discreet, but inflict about the same amount of damage. My favorite is still a chain lock across the hood


  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,748
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    I used to run these when I was commuting in Chicago, little more discreet, but inflict about the same amount of damage. My favorite is still a chain lock across the hood
    Tallahassee dump truck on their hood.

    If you practice, you can do it in traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

  4. #4
    wretch
    Reputation: Truckee Trash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,686
    i dont even know what a "Tallahassee" dump truck is but I'm pretty sure it involves an "ing" on someones car. I love it. The chainlock across the car must be the equivalent of a b i t c h slap, yet you leave more of a mark, kinda like if your wearing your pimp rings.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    i dont even know what a "Tallahassee" dump truck is but I'm pretty sure it involves an "ing" on someones car. I love it. The chainlock across the car must be the equivalent of a b i t c h slap, yet you leave more of a mark, kinda like if your wearing your pimp rings.
    You got it.

    I've usually just punched the side panels of cars, only to warn them when they are about to crush me.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,641
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    You got it.

    I've usually just punched the side panels of cars, only to warn them when they are about to crush me.
    Snot rockets and loogies work well too, especially if they catch you in the act. The "after the fact" birdy not so much, as at that point, it's too late, and you just end up looking like some irrate biker suffering from road rage.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,748
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Snot rockets and loogies work well too, especially if they catch you in the act. The "after the fact" birdy not so much, as at that point, it's too late, and you just end up looking like some irrate biker suffering from road rage.
    I learned that the birdy isn't always a good idea after a guy came after me with his car, then jumped out screaming at me.

    Most of the time, I'm just glad I'm not someone's new hood ornament.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

  8. #8
    sixsixtysix
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Most of the time, I'm just glad I'm not someone's new hood ornament.

    Yup, I used to commute in Chicago all the time, here in PHX, no friggin way. People can not drive out here.

    The chain trick was performed while riding, you just have it across your chest like a messenger bag strap. Just make sure its resting on your right shoulder, so you can use your left hand to get it off and swing it to your left (with the flow of traffic). And one of these does a little more than leave a scratch...



    Craziest bike rage related thing I saw in Chi-town, was 4 bike messengers drag a cabbie out of his car for almost hitting a horse on Michigan Ave...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,641
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Yup, I used to commute in Chicago all the time, here in PHX, no friggin way. People can not drive out here.

    The chain trick was performed while riding, you just have it across your chest like a messenger bag strap. Just make sure its resting on your right shoulder, so you can use your left hand to get it off and swing it to your left (with the flow of traffic). And one of these does a little more than leave a scratch...



    Craziest bike rage related thing I saw in Chi-town, was 4 bike messengers drag a cabbie out of his car for almost hitting a horse on Michigan Ave...
    Have you read The Immortal Class? It's a memoir of a bike messenger in Chicago. If not, I highly recommend. Very good read.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,748
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Have you read The Immortal Class? It's a memoir of a bike messenger in Chicago. If not, I highly recommend. Very good read.
    One of my favorite books

    Sixty, that's the book about the Chicago messengers I was telling you about.

    Oh yeah, and Sixty, commuting out here is a like a video game. It can be fun in a sick way. Yeah, you get hit every so often, but that's why I commute on Sparkle Pony

    I'm totally getting that MiG helmet and commuting in it - I have a feeling people will stay far away...if they don't arrest me first...
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

  11. #11
    sixsixtysix
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Have you read The Immortal Class? It's a memoir of a bike messenger in Chicago. If not, I highly recommend. Very good read.
    Yeah, Kavu was telling me about it. I am sure it focuses quite a bit on Yo Jimbo's Garage, Marcus is a legend

    The Chicago cycling culture is crazy, you wouldn't think it, but I will say it is probably the most bike friendly megatropolis I have seen or lived in.

    I do miss watching the 2am Ally Cat "Stairmaster" races. 21 miles around downtown, 1000 stairs up, 1000 stairs down.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,641
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Yeah, Kavu was telling me about it. I am sure it focuses quite a bit on Yo Jimbo's Garage, Marcus is a legend

    The Chicago cycling culture is crazy, you wouldn't think it, but I will say it is probably the most bike friendly megatropolis I have seen or lived in.

    I do miss watching the 2am Ally Cat "Stairmaster" races. 21 miles around downtown, 1000 stairs up, 1000 stairs down.
    Yes, Yo Jimbo's plays a significant part of the book. I can't recall if it was the book, or an atricle I read about Jimbo's, but from the sounds of it, if you didn't know a simple task like how to change a tire, you were going to suffer Marcus' wrath.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

  13. #13
    sixsixtysix
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Yes, Yo Jimbo's plays a significant part of the book. I can't recall if it was the book, or an atricle I read about Jimbo's, but from the sounds of it, if you didn't know a simple task like how to change a tire, you were going to suffer Marcus' wrath.

    Oh yeah, it is not a "Friendly Neighborhood Shop" It was solely for the devoted and the hardcore, primarily messengers, CX racers and track riders The shop was literally IN Cabrini Green, one of the worst ghetto's in Chicago until the projects were torn down.

    There were no signs on the place, you couldn't just walk in, you had to knock but Marcus always had some of the most tricked out bits and pieces lying around and he always took good care of the regulars.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,641
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Oh yeah, it is not a "Friendly Neighborhood Shop" It was solely for the devoted and the hardcore, primarily messengers, CX racers and track riders The shop was literally IN Cabrini Green, one of the worst ghetto's in Chicago until the projects were torn down.

    There were no signs on the place, you couldn't just walk in, you had to knock but Marcus always had some of the most tricked out bits and pieces lying around and he always took good care of the regulars.
    Yea, I think Bicycle Mag did an article about the shop 5 or 6 years ago, and had a photo of Marcus sitting in the middle of the shop. Looked like something straight out of Road Warrior.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •