mtbr member

Ballantine trail..myth busted..gnar redefined..

After passing the Ballantine trailhead on the 87 about 200 times in the last 20 years I finally tried out the trail.

This trail is not in wilderness area (myth), does not even come close.

It was a bit too demanding for me to be truly enjoyable. It started out promising, and about 2mi in got gnarly. I mostly failed the climbing, too tech and too steep for me, but I'm sure it's gettable for some. I ventured out about 6 miles, HAB'd about half of it. On the way back I was able to get about 85% of it with gravity on my side, OTB 2x, ate some cactus, left a blood trail. Overall had a great time, and a serious workout, but would probably hike it on foot next time. If this trail gets cleaned up a bit it will be a lot of fun. It definitely has big potential with a little work.

Gnar junkies with climbing skills may really enjoy this trail. If Holbert is getting boring, try this trail.

There is a short 3 mile loop at the trailhead called pine mountain trail. It is fun and getable. I like it CCW, but either direction is fun and challenging, even if short. This trail has a lot of loose rock that makes it challenging. If it gets some traffic, the loose stuff will be pushed aside and it will be no big wiz..
    Last edited by 5bravobravo; 01-15-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    Check my pulse...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Any pics? Was wondering about this trail also.

dirt visionary
    ah come on no pics no stats or video ...it didn't happen... j/k I have been eyeing this but as a shuttle get a buddy to take me up top and ride down . Driven by so many times and knew it wasn't wilderness...never heard of that anyways tho.

Thanks for the intel.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    I did get a couple minor photos but I'm pretty used up and not feeling up to posting them yet!

I wish I would have covered more ground but misjudged the time (and the ruggedness) today. Looks like a possible way to get on this trail from up higher, but maybe hard to find up top. I know you can go in at the Cline TH on FR143, but then you need to climb about 2000ft before the descent starts.

In the 6 or so mi I covered, it was about 2000ft up from the TH at the 87...

The cactus and cats claw get pretty annoying after a while, my shins are like burger meat...forearms pretty similar. I'm still full of needle from the prickly pear that cushioned my Endo..
    Check my pulse...

mtbr member
    This is an example of one of the rideable sections, there were unending stretches like this that while doable were just relentless in rapid succession...

I actually toted my camera with me but the freakin battery was dead...Sorry, fail...I'll make another trip to to get some decent photos

This is the fast way to get a bike to the top of four peaks....Well, it aint no trophy truck, but 'lil buggly scoots right up the hill, and at 35mpg is pretty economical too...bring your own fire suppressant, it is after all a VW...
    Check my pulse...

My other ride is your mom
    kudos to you for getting out and exploring the less beaten path!