parenting for gnarness

Bad Jumper Jumps Jump Line: A Tale of Mexican Gnar

A tale of Mexican gnar.

No phone, no help, no health care, no buddies, and no beta. Just me and esta línea I found two trips ago. It dictates a methodical approach to risk. It also requires I not be hungover in Rocky Point.

The line has 9 jumps, and at first all but the smaller bottom three looked sketchy. I'm in awe of guys who can manufacture vertical and distance, as I am not one of them. I've seen riders fly level to the roof of the cruiser shop at Rage on a tabletop I can barely clear. Even with my Firebird, full-face, and stormtrooper pads I was skeered and stupefied with where to begin.

I picked the 5th jump, since unlike the four jumps above it, it could be approached outside of the track to build speed, and offered the easiest landing.

The approach was the puzzle. All the 'trail' sections between jumps were powdery, with a combination of embedded rocks and shattered glass.

It took three tries til I found the sweet spot of speed and pedaling position enough to commit, and was rewarded with a soothing baritone rumble of my wheels on plywood, a brief silence, then a bass reply.

The next jump, number 6, hid a view of the bottom until you were committed.

and it looked intimidating to a bad jumper (sideview).

other sideview

It was in fact easy if I snuck a quick pedal on the approach, the soft landing was a more delicate problem.

It took til my 4th or 5th rep to stick it without sliding sideways. It gave me little time to recover for this natural jump with a nasty lip, that after 10 tries I could not hit smoothly.

The bottom two were fuuuuuuunnnn.

A good start for my first session. With a 30 min beach-town pedal to get there, and 30 min back, this would somewhat balance no fluids but coffee and beer.

I worked up the top half of the hill. Big no on this one.

deteriorating lip, long gap, exposed landing...

and soup to build speed in! Bypassing the jump made it a fun bit of techy singletrack to end the top section and transition to the lower five.

I wanted this one badly (#3), but plushy big bike much harder to toss around than my Malice.

and I didn't like the soft bump at the entrance or the ramp's wiggle. Still kicking myself, the Firebird could have handled it, but Mexican gnar requires a different sort of humility.

Number 2 was awesomesauce, everything just mild enough that the powder didn't dampen my aggressiveness. I kept thinking I was gonna case it, and kept going far enough. OMG, *confidence*, quite powerful stuff.

oh yeah!

The top jump looked ugly just like #4.

The dropin was fun

all about finesse

and another single track approach

A few more runs, and I had plenty of candy and contemplation til I came back in 2 days for another great session. I was ready to try the top jump with a tow-in, and would have had #3 on my next run. I found an alternate entrance that had some hard jumps and a fun ~150 yard technical approach.

I hope it lasts til our next trip. It needs some attention, and its doomed without water. There is a new water tower on top of the hill, construction started about when the line appeared, and now the water tank is done. Irony. Maybe its crew rides dh bikes? Don't snicker. Two different Border Patrol Agents knew the FatBike by name when they saw it taking up the other side of the rack. I find my 2-wheeled passion in odd corners too.
    Last edited by chollaball; 01-03-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    That is rad! And folks say Mexico is dangerous ...

Thanks for sharing.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    looks like a training ground. it will only be a matter of time before we see start seeing youtube videos of mexican MTBrs clearing the border fences.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Post video or it didn't happen. :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    looks like a training ground. it will only be a matter of time before we see start seeing youtube videos of mexican MTBrs clearing the border fences.
    We can start green cards for bike trail building program. One green card issued per mile of sweet single track....

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    It dictates a methodical approach to risk. It also requires I not be hungover in Rocky Point.
    Not possible.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Now there is a reason for me to go back to rocky point after that ill fated night back in college...12 years later might be enough time to heal that scar...

Just send it you fairy!!! I'll show you when we come down

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob View Post
    Now there is a reason for me to go back to rocky point after that ill fated night back in college...12 years later might be enough time to heal that scar...
    Sorry to hear about your pain in the backside that you've had all these years . .
    JRA

Shovel Ready
    Mr. Ball, was the land owner consulted about those alterations?
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    Firebird could have handled it, but Mexican gnar requires a different sort of humility.
    Totally laughed out loud when I read that, but sooo true.

Jumps you just find when you're out on your own with no one around to show you how they go and no one to call in the 911 when things go bad are always so much scarier..... Then add in the fact that you're in a drug infested, semi-third world country, with banditos running around trying to knock you out and kidnap you and I'm amazed you tried any of them. Kudos. Those are some major cajones you got there if you know what I mean.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Then add in the fact that you're in a drug infested, semi-third world country, with banditos running around trying to knock you out and kidnap you and I'm amazed you tried any of them.
    It's Rocky Point, not Medellin Columbia

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    It's Rocky Point, not Medellin Columbia
    Nothing bad every happens in Rocky Point....unless you count that doomed night at JJ's many many years ago.

Oh! And that one time my buddy rolled his buggy in the desert, losing his pinky finger in the process...and made us drive back over the boarder before seeking medical help.

EDR
    Oh oh oh! And that time we waited at the boarder until it opened in a semi-drunken stupor and I missed the turn to Rocky Point b/c I was too drunk to read Spanish....and I continued into Mexico until some nice guys with "assault style" weapons waived me to the side of the highway. I forgot to put the stick shift car into neutral as I stopped and the whole car came to a shaking, stalling stop. That actually turned out OK once I quit shiiting bricks in my pants.

Oh yeah...I had to call my girlfriend (now my wife thankfully) and when she asked where I was I had to tell her, "Mexico". That was no good b/c when we left to go out the night before I told her we were going to Metrocenter to ride the roller-coaster..which was true...and which we did. I don't know what went wrong from there.

Technically not RP though.

But I digress. Looks like fun stuff Cholla.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 01-03-2013 at 07:37 PM.

No mames guey
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Oh yeah...I had to call my girlfriend (now my wife thankfully) and when she asked where I was I had to tell her, "Mexico". That was no good b/c when we left to go out the night before I told her we were going to Metrocenter to ride the roller-coaster..which was true...and which we did. I don't know what went wrong from there.
    I want more of this story...

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by tpvet73 View Post
    I want more of this story...

Oh there's more

I spent 10 minutes (seemingly) stuffing quarters into the payphone, all the while dreading my girlfriend picking up the phone...only to have them come out the return slot time and time again. I was getting pissed and thought the phone was broken until my buddy mentioned that we ARE in Mexico..and maybe they don't use quarters. Talk about a dumb-ass gringo.

I also remember my friend Johnathan being passed out in the back of the Geo Metro once we passed the boarder. He started waking up and asking where the hell we were. When we told him in, "in another country" he started getting really really pissy and aggressive. Ted took John's Ray-Ban's off his head and tossed them out the window, onto the highway..at 70 MPH.

Once we finally hit the RP area we got lost. We saw the first beach and drove that Metro directly into the sand as far as we could, towards the ocean. We finally came to halt directly on the beach...tires completely consumed by sand. We got out...left the car and walked as far as we could into the ocean....probably a 1/4 mile and it was only waist deep.

When we got back we scratched our heads as how to get the car free. It's not like we were by ourselves, there were people everywhere. Suddenly a local wearing a Dallas Cowboys shirt drove up in his pick-up truck. He had tow straps at the ready and for a fee he was ready to go.

Seems like we were not the first drunk gringo's to visit Oh, and my girlfriend wouldn't return my calls for 3 days.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Not possible.
    i've got my system down...avoid pastries and greasy tortilla chips and shots the day before I wanna get in a real ride and I'm golden.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Oh there's more

I spent 10 minutes (seemingly) stuffing quarters into the payphone, all the while dreading my girlfriend picking up the phone...only to have them come out the return slot time and time again. I was getting pissed and thought the phone was broken until my buddy mentioned that we ARE in Mexico..and maybe they don't use quarters. Talk about a dumb-ass gringo.

I also remember my friend Johnathan being passed out in the back of the Geo Metro once we passed the boarder. He started waking up and asking where the hell we were. When we told him in, "in another country" he started getting really really pissy and aggressive. Ted took John's Ray-Ban's off his head and tossed them out the window, onto the highway..at 70 MPH.

Once we finally hit the RP area we got lost. We saw the first beach and drove that Metro directly into the sand as far as we could, towards the ocean. We finally came to halt directly on the beach...tires completely consumed by sand. We got out...left the car and walked as far as we could into the ocean....probably a 1/4 mile and it was only waist deep.

When we got back we scratched our heads as how to get the car free. It's not like we were by ourselves, there were people everywhere. Suddenly a local wearing a Dallas Cowboys shirt drove up in his pick-up truck. He had tow straps at the ready and for a fee he was ready to go.

Seems like we were not the first drunk gringo's to visit Oh, and my girlfriend wouldn't return my calls for 3 days.
    JFTC! ROTFLMAO. We've had our place going on 8 yrs and I've yet to pull off something that dumb, closest I've come is breaking some dishware and almost setting the backyard on fire.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech View Post
    Sorry to hear about your pain in the backside that you've had all these years . .
    you recall my friend Alex you've ridden with a few times? About 20 yrs ago he tumbled on 8A and stabbed himself proper in the butt on a barrel cactus. ER trip etc. Cactus is still there, about 3 feet taller now, he salutes it each time he passes. we rode that 2 days before xmas and I was trying to talk him into some ornaments for it.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    Mr. Ball, was the land owner consulted about those alterations?
    i'm not sure, I dont know how to translate making it ridable for 93% of the masses into espanol.

EDR
    JFTC! ROTFLMAO. We've had our place going on 8 yrs and I've yet to pull off something that dumb, closest I've come is breaking some dishware and almost setting the backyard on fire.
    I was young....those times are long long long gone.

Have fun!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Totally laughed out loud when I read that, but sooo true.

Jumps you just find when you're out on your own with no one around to show you how they go and no one to call in the 911 when things go bad are always so much scarier..... Then add in the fact that you're in a drug infested, semi-third world country, with banditos running around trying to knock you out and kidnap you and I'm amazed you tried any of them. Kudos. Those are some major cajones you got there if you know what I mean.
    boy do i ever! there is a fuggin mean@$$ dog that lives in a house at the top of the hill, its only a 10 lb white poodle but I was scared yo. First day i was out there it chases me all over the top of the line while it was wearing a little green elf suit. I woulda taken a picture and sent it to the DEA, but was afraid to get my hand near it. The only thing that saved it from a serious kick was i was covered in armor and it didn't come above my chainstays. The dog got hold of my 5.10s and nearly ripped out one of the laces? Why can't people leash their dogs on trails, dont they know what 'mericans expect?

There is actually an ER barely 2 miles from this line. Getting there by yourself would still have been an ugly issue.

Meatbomb
    There is actually an ER barely 2 miles from this line. Getting there by yourself would still have been an ugly issue.

Don't remind me .. I've been in that ER with a broken Collar Bone after finding my self traveling about 5mph faster than my CR500

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    boy do i ever! there is a fuggin mean@$$ dog that lives in a house at the top of the hill, its only a 10 lb white poodle but I was scared yo. First day i was out there it chases me all over the top of the line while it was wearing a little green elf suit. I woulda taken a picture and sent it to the DEA, but was afraid to get my hand near it. The only thing that saved it from a serious kick was i was covered in armor and it didn't come above my chainstays. The dog got hold of my 5.10s and nearly ripped out one of the laces? Why can't people leash their dogs on trails, dont they know what 'mericans expect?

Cartel dog obviously...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    In 2008 I rolled over my 4Runnner in Rocky Point. The roof collapsed cracking my skull in 5 places.

I went into an immediate coma, and cannot remember anything from the point of impact till 15 days'ish later, but based on the other occupants of the car's stories we were taken to a hospital there in town. A room the size of a hotel room was the hospital. They stapled my face skin back on as I had a 9in cut across my head, gave me a shot of morphine, and then sent me towards the border in an ambulance.

The ambulance was able to radio for a chopper to be ready at border within 10 minutes of us arriving. I was flown back to St. Joe's, and luckily made a full recovery within a couple months.

Lucky to be alive. Even more luckily to be able to think and speak correctly.

Ambulance to border cost me $1000. Chopper to hospital ran my health insurance 24k. Hospital stay was about 250k billed to insurance, 10k to me.

Turns out Rocky Point medical assistance ain't so bad.

P.S. - This line is only a couple miles from where I crashed...bet I ended up at the ER you mentioned
    "This fish who keeps on swimming, is the first to chill upstream" - 311

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by juggles View Post
    In 2008 I rolled over my 4Runnner in Rocky Point. The roof collapsed cracking my skull in 5 places.

I went into an immediate coma, and cannot remember anything from the point of impact till 15 days'ish later, but based on the other occupants of the car's stories we were taken to a hospital there in town. A room the size of a hotel room was the hospital. They stapled my face skin back on as I had a 9in cut across my head, gave me a shot of morphine, and then sent me towards the border in an ambulance.

The ambulance was able to radio for a chopper to be ready at border within 10 minutes of us arriving. I was flown back to St. Joe's, and luckily made a full recovery within a couple months.

Lucky to be alive. Even more luckily to be able to think and speak correctly.

Ambulance to border cost me $1000. Chopper to hospital ran my health insurance 24k. Hospital stay was about 250k billed to insurance, 10k to me.

Turns out Rocky Point medical assistance ain't so bad.

P.S. - This line is only a couple miles from where I crashed...bet I ended up at the ER you mentioned
    dang! crazy story, glad to hear it worked out for you (as best it could). Definitely its more of an Urgent Care, not a hospital. But its good to know that resources were there and able to get you to the proper help. I was only there once a few yrs ago when my wife got tagged by a stingray. They cleaned the wound and treated the pain, but instructed us to get antibiotics etc back in the US. In our case, they did not charge us but asked that we pay what we could (we paid in full).