Lone Wolf McQuade

Back in Preskit for Turkey Day....

I was so excited to be back in Preskit for some mountain biking in some actual mountains that have trees on them ( unlike Las Vegas) It rained here most of the day yesterday and was still pretty wet this morning... that means the Granite Mountain trails should be nice a tacky! I left the house in 43 degrees/light fog and rode down to the Williamson Valley trail head to start the ride up through Granite Mountain. I was the first and only person out on the trail this morning besides the coyotes. Things were going swell until I hit a 10 foot long section of red clay....rider and bike....DONE! You can see in one of the pics the tire tread on thtrail was fine and then whammmo I turned back and tried to rinse off in a huge puddle in the parking lot but it was no use, the clay had gotten everywhere and added about 20lbs onto the bike. I rode back to the house just in time to catch the end of breakfast, yummy. Let's see, 40 minute ride, 120 minute clean up of the bike and me...it was still worth it I'll give it another shot in the morning, have a good one, Matt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I should be out riding....

Kathleen in AZ
    yummmmm...... bacon........

Master Gardener
    That clay over on that side of Granite is horrible. You can't even imagine it until you've ridden or walked through it. Just like wet kitty litter.

Way worse than anything I ever encountered in the 'muddy East.' Beautiful days we're having right now though.

mtbr member
    I chose to do the 396 this morning and it was in great shape. I had the entire trail to myself. I am saving Granite Mountain for a Saturday morning ride. Should be in good shape by then
    Enjoy Preskit,
    Jeff

Elitest thrill junkie
    Uhh yeah...this should be in the visitor uh "sticky" somewhere.

Never ever ride Granite Basin from Williamson Valley after or during a rain. We did it just over a month back in light drizzle and even that caused the dirt to cake on our tires, even though the dirt was virtually dry. There's also a bad spot on 347 where it starts near the trailhead IN granite basin (near the gate), so it also cuts out the Katahn trailhead sometimes because there's a nasty stretch there too. Otherwise there are plenty of trails that are ridable in granite basin when it's wet, but you can't start at Williamson Valley. Don't ride 345 or 347 to the end, take the cutoffs, then include the upper-loops for your ride. Trail 40 is still fun and isn't hugely affected by moisture, although the OHV area gets real moist and you are slogging through the sand a lot.

Also never ever ride 62 when it's moist, I'd also imagine Turley Trail gets the same way, although it's been too long for me to remember well.

There are plenty of places you CAN ride, but the above ones should be avoided at all costs when it's wet.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Powered by ice cream.
    Um, yeah, don't ride that trailhead when it rains. Now you know why.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Uhh yeah...
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Um, yeah,
    Ha! Simultaneous channeling of Dana Carvey!
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by azbeersnob
    I chose to do the 396 this morning and it was in great shape. I had the entire trail to myself. I am saving Granite Mountain for a Saturday morning ride. Should be in good shape by then
    Enjoy Preskit,
    Jeff
    Nope, if we get any moisture the night before and it doesn't have ample time to dry, it will not be in "good shape". You can still do Granite Basin, just not from Williamson Valley.

Look up trail 40, aka Little Granite Mountain trail, there's a parking area off of Iron Springs road. It's almost always fine, except a little 20-foot stretch near the gate halfway will tell you how much screwed up 345 and 347 may be due to mud. You can start from inside Granite Basin, it's $2 and I know enough places to start my ride so that I never have to pay this, but it isn't very steep and there are nice places to park within Granite Basin (I sometimes spring for the $2 in Thumb Butte). You can start in another place on Iron Springs Road, at the old railroad bed and start of trail 332 into granite basin. I haven't tried that trail in the wet, although I imagine the continuation of it across granite basin road could share the same death-mud traits that you've come to know. The first part of trail 332 (a few miles) will probably be ok to Granite Basin road. There's the Katahn trailhead off of Williamson Valley Road, it's actually the beginning of trail 347. It's free, but I don't recommend it when there's death-mud, there's a short section near the top before you descend into Granite Basin that has death-mud. You can also always park on Granite Basin road outside of the fee area.
    http://www.sharlot.org/archives/maps/trailmaps/
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Ha! Simultaneous channeling of Dana Carvey!
    Nearly perfect.

Letting you know; Goat Camp Saturday (but it's not really the time of the year for riding commitments, I know)...