banned

B Team Steps It Up on Hangover Adoption

Today I got invited to do a special birthday ride with long term Sedona 52 year old mountain biker know by his friends as AMP. Amp is a really good rider so he picked a really difficult ride to celebrate his birthday.

After about 1/2 way through the ride some of the old timers decided to take a detour and we ended up on the Damifino saddle. We had heard that the VVVCC had adopted the Hangover trail and they were working on the old Cow Pies section to dumb it down to my skill level or lower.

As we all know I have been given a bad time by many MTBR viewers for making trail improvement on sections of trail I couldn't ride. Well now it seems like the VVCC who adopted Hanover is trying to make section of the Cow Pies rideable that only riders like Chewy and Fat Tire Dave could ride.

One section they are working on is the hard right turn on the dirt singletrack section about 200 yards before you reach the Damifino Saddle. hat section of trail has never been rideable by the masses and now it looks like the goal is to make it rideable by riders of my level or higher than my level.

I wish them well on the project since I would never be able to clean the old section at my old age.

To be honest when I looked at the construction site all I could think was WOW this will be something if I can ride this new section when they get trough moving 10 tons of material. This is a huge project and I guess the 13 volunteers working on it must have chopping and digging for quite a while to get the project to it's current point.

I think there were also three FS employees out there helping with the project so they also must have chipped in on the building project.

I am a little discouraged that they tore out the of old really nicely rocked in climbing turn and took all the nice thick flat stone and used it on the new re-route.

Since I am not sure if the new re-route is really going to be rideablle by me when it's completed, to be honest I would have liked to have just used the old route if the new route is unrideable.

As an incentive I would like to offer the crew who is exclusively working on the project a free barbecue at OTE that I will sponsor. The only catch is that the new re-route needs to be rideable by the people working on that section the last day of the build or Justin all by himself.

Also am curious if the branch over hanging the trail will be left to make it more difficult for old guys like me to make the climb without dabbing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B Team Steps It Up on Hangover Adoption-cow-pies-tree.jpg  

Last edited by traildoc; 12-09-2012 at 08:16 PM.

banned

Where Did the Tree Branch GO ????????????

Being curious about the new climbing re-route turn on Cow Pies I headed out tonight with my flash light and hiked out to the construction site to see if there has been any progress. It looked like there had been some work since the last time I was out there and low and behold the large tree trunk that obstructed the climb for bikers over 5' tall and equestrians is gone.

What I don't get is why would someone cut out that branch now and not when the 16 people were working on the project and cut off the other five branches. I have a feeling people who worked on the project are trying to get a free barbecue out of me by dumbing down the climb, so they can ride it.

Hopefully Justin will come out after he is laid off from the FS to work on this project for FREE. I assume there has been an archeological study of the area where rocks will be harvested to complete the project, so no artifacts are disturbed.

I would hate to think Justin will be laid off before the Anaconda project is completed, otherwise it may be months before that 30 minute re-route is completed so the trail can it signed. I offered to do the work, but they think I might take the tools over to the Snake trail and work on that instead.

What a country!

TD

mtbr member
    I heard about the same spot, same report from another rider. New volunteer trailbuilders have to get some experience somehow eh? Too bad it takes place where it is, rather than the more mundane places? But look at it this way, in 10 years how will the place look?
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw View Post
    I heard about the same spot, same report from another rider. New volunteer trailbuilders have to get some experience somehow eh? Too bad it takes place where it is, rather than the more mundane places? But look at it this way, in 10 years how will the place look?
    CP:

If Lars and his crew can get that section rideable by 30% of the riders without dabbing that whole dirt section I will be stoked. It is great that the FS is lending Justin and Adrian to help out with the project. I just hope the original crew working on the project don't expect the FS to do all the heavy lifting. Projects like that take commitment and when it's completed hopefully Justin and Lars aren't the only ones with a sore back.

I am curious if they are going to armor or re-align the approach section before you reach the tree on the left. Getting by that tree was always the crux move on the initial climb. The last couple years the 20' section before the tree was a little rugged. Getting through that spot ate up a bunch of energy, so if the lower section isn't made easier to ride bikers will be off their bikes and possibly hiking the rest of the new section.

TD

mtbr member
    I requested and was allowed to play through the switchback yesterday. I was impressed with the amount of rock work and build quality. I can't say I noticed the tree but I was gassed after climbing the slickrock to get there. Looks like it will be rideable in the uphill direction to me. Also, they cribbed the nearly impossible offcamber slickrock step-up move. I have seen a pic of Helimech making that move and it even took Brian Lopes several tries. Nice improvement if you ask me.

In fact, what is up with the B-Team crap? A first rate effort: .Thanks for all the hard work: Justin, Lars, and the rest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B Team Steps It Up on Hangover Adoption-cowpies.jpg  

B Team Steps It Up on Hangover Adoption-cowpies2.jpg  

Last edited by rockman; 12-13-2012 at 05:23 AM. Reason: edit to add some pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I requested and was allowed to play through the switchback yesterday. I was impressed with the amount of rock work and build quality. I can't say I noticed the tree but I was gassed after climbing the slickrock to get there. Looks like it will be rideable in the uphill direction to me. Also, they cribbed the nearly impossible offcamber slickrock step-up move. I have seen a pic of Helimech making that move and it even took Brian Lopes several tries. Nice improvement if you ask me.

In fact, what is up with the B-Team crap? A first rate effort if you ask me. Thanks for all the hard work: Justin, Lars, and the rest.
    Yeah the B Team comment is a little insulting. I hope the trail gets re-routed around that super annoying juniper ducking move in that fall line section after the steep slick rock, it's such a flow killer.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Yeah the B Team comment is a little insulting. I hope the trail gets re-routed around that super annoying juniper ducking move in that fall line section after the steep slick rock, it's such a flow killer.
    The A team (consisting of four people) did four major re-routes on Munds in one day. The B-Team with the help of Justin and Adrain and 13 other volunteers have done, WHAT?

If you think the A-Team should be called the B-Team that's your choice. Think about all the great trail improvements the A-Team has done over the years. I just want to see the B-Team accomplish something new without Justin or Phil's help to show us they are stepping it up.

So far I am giving a lot of credit to Lar's and Justin. If anyone doesn't think Justin was the leader of those projects I think they are mistaken. The honeymoon is over unless Justin is going to volunteer his help for FREE. He is out of hours for the FS and we will see if he wants to work for free like Plumber Phil has done for the last couple years.

Not even Justin works as hard as Phil does. The FS is happy to see guys like Phil step in and work their butts off for free, maybe Justin will be the next Plumber Phil.

mtbr member
    I didn't know trail maintenance was so competitive in Sedona

Every project is different, no? Sounds like the A-team and B-team need a dance-off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    The A team (consisting of four people) did four major re-routes on Munds in one day.
    What do you want, a cookie?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    What do you want, a cookie?
    Man Up CO. Move onto another thread your ignore button is broken again. Rockman knows the score, he just likes to poke fun at me to see if I am committed to my original post.

Hopefully we will get some moisture the next couple days to help settle in the new build. I will charge up the GoPro and see if rockman will come down and let me film him doing the switchback. If anyone else wants to give it a try let me know. For sure Lar's and Tex should make it pretty easy.

ra how about you and 77. I think it would make for a great video seeing the 3%'ers making it.
    Last edited by traildoc; 12-12-2012 at 07:28 PM.

mtbr member

Are you serious?????????????????????!?!?!?!?!

The A team (consisting of four people) did four major re-routes on Munds in one day. The B-Team with the help of Justin and Adrain and 13 other volunteers have done, WHAT?
    I've really been trying hard to refrain to comment on anything that you post, but this is too absurd. So you don't like "improvements" that weren't made by you? Is it dumbed down too much? Not enough? Where's the video PROOF that YOU could EVEN make it to the NEW IMPROVED SECTIONS??????
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

26 ain't dead
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Also, they cribbed the nearly impossible offcamber slickrock step-up move. I have seen a pic of Helimech making that move and it even took Brian Lopes several tries. Nice improvement if you ask me:
    I'm kind of bummed the cleaned that line up. I always liked the challenge. I cleaned it most the time, but also wrecked pretty hard on it once as well in the cold. Suppose it was needed, has high risk if you somehow roll off that second ledge. And it was certainly a tricky line.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chainslap- View Post
    I'm kind of bummed the cleaned that line up. I always liked the challenge. I cleaned it most the time, but also wrecked pretty hard on it once as well in the cold. Suppose it was needed, has high risk if you somehow roll off that second ledge. And it was certainly a tricky line.
    Slap:

Early on that spot was built up and I could even ride it w/o dabbing. The reason why that spot is so smoothed out is due to the amount of H20 that runs through that spot when we get heavy rain periods. If it's not maintained it will go down the cliff. Getting material for a spot like that takes some doing and after a while all the good rocks are down the cliff.

Look at what happened to Hog Heaven. That use to be a climbing trail now look at it.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    I've really been trying hard to refrain to comment on anything that you post, but this is too absurd. So you don't like "improvements" that weren't made by you? Is it dumbed down too much? Not enough? Where's the video PROOF that n YOU could EVEN make it to the NEW IMPROVED SECTIONS??????
    Woahey:

I was thinking since freak'a'zoid is no longer KOM on Tomahawk maybe we could get the 3%'ers to do a Strava from the bottom of the swithback climb up to the beginning of the Damifino trail on the right side of the saddle.

Maybe you would want to compete. That would definitely be the Sedona world class uphill on Strava. You could call it the Hangover World Class Uphill. The starting line and end point could be marked with the new reflective tape, so it would be there forever.

banned
    OK freak'a'zoid is KOM on Cow Pies/Hangover so he has definitely iused Justin to help him make the super difficult turn easier to ride. I have to admire his hidden agenda with this new re-route. I think he could easily cut 30 seconds off his time. Let the games begin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B Team Steps It Up on Hangover Adoption-ho-world-class.jpg  

banned

Traildoc is KOM on Hangover World Class Climb

My buddy Trey and I went out to ride Hangover to check to progress of the new right hand turn being built by Lar's and Justin. My buddy rockman indicated he felt the new climb would be rideable by 50% of the masses. Since I fall into the 30% category of advanced masses I was good with his analysis.

As many of you know in Sedona world class uphill riding is a treasured sport. This section of the old Cows Pies (now Hangover) trail is one of the best climbs in Sedona.

So I ventured out today to see if I could be the new KOM on this climb and I was not only successful but I cleaned the climb and am I a happy Sedona mountain biker.

Attached are some pictures of what the new climb looks like so you can prepare yourself for the ride if you want to try and beat my time. You can see my tire track in the first picture where I threaded the needle next to the big rock on the right.

Let the games begin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B Team Steps It Up on Hangover Adoption-hangover-world-class-climb.jpg  

B Team Steps It Up on Hangover Adoption-ho1.jpg  

B Team Steps It Up on Hangover Adoption-ho2.jpg  

B Team Steps It Up on Hangover Adoption-ho3.jpg  

B Team Steps It Up on Hangover Adoption-ho4.jpg  

Last edited by traildoc; 12-13-2012 at 10:28 PM.

bland

bland
    Wow, you're the kom of a segment you created today. You must be so proud. Send fan mail to J.Finch@Bteam.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    Wow, you're the kom of a segment you made. You must be so proud. Send fan mail to J.Finch@Bteam.com
    Thanks for the support Ranger

bland
    Thanks for the support Ranger
    Anything I can do to make you happier than you appear!
    Good to see you riding again!
    Nice knee pads!
    What were you climbing again?
    5+ mins?!?!
    Get some skills man!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    Anything I can do to make you happier than you appear!
    Good to see you riding again!
    Nice knee pads!
    What were you climbing again?
    5+ mins?!?!
    Get some skills man!
    77:

The gpx track is on the Strava segment under Hangover World Class Climb. I am also posting the gpx track if that doesn't work.

The jury is out on the pads. They are comfortable, but I haven't had a bad crash yet to see if they really provide much protection. My old plastic Race Face pads saved my butt a couple times.

Thanks for your comments. Maybe you could help freak'a'zoid put some finishing touches on that new section. I don't think it is totally finished yet. I think Justin is on unemployment and I am not sure if Adrian is helping with this project anymore.

On the ride out to the WCC I stopped to take pictures of some of the work done on the old Cow Pies trail. These two pictures were taken at the first work spot. Honestly can't figure out what the reason was for doing the work. The second picture seems to be a water diverter that can't drain any water since it terminates in a big pile of rocks next to a fallen tree. The first picture is of a big pile of rocks which I assume were placed there to be some kind of big rock feature to channel water further down the slickrock trail. I can't believe Justin worked on this section, it makes no since to me and I don't see any pictures in the IMBA trail building manual showing these types of trail improvements.

If the FOF was out there that would explain it. They like to pile rocks up on the outside of a steep section of trail to keep water from exiting to promote excessive erosion so they can go back out and pile more rocks up.

The Templeton steep climb is getting destroyed due to that same kind of mentality. Whoever worked on that trail recently should be banned from the forest for six months and fined $1,000.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B Team Steps It Up on Hangover Adoption-cow-pies-1.jpg  

B Team Steps It Up on Hangover Adoption-cow-pies-2.jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by traildoc; 12-13-2012 at 11:38 PM.

banned

Steep Right Hand Turn is CLIMBABLE

As many riders know there has been a lot of recent trail maintenance being done on the old Cow Pies section of Hangover. One spot on the old alignment I couldn't clean was the steep right hand turn climb section close to reaching the saddle area. We got word today that that section is finished and is now rideable.

I am curious who has made the climb without dabbing? Making that section cleanable is certainly a great accomplishment, I must admit I didn't think it would be cleanable by the masses. Way to go guys and gals

OK Rockman make me a believer!
    Attached Images Attached Images