Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

AZT Reavis Canyon (aka Picketpost North) trail work days... NEED VOLUNTEERS!!

Several weeks ago, Freeskier and I rode the AZT through Reavis Canyon to see what the AZT was like north of Picketpost Mountain. Unfortunately, the Reavis Canyon segment (trail #509) from the top of Montana Mountain down to FR650 is riddled with catclaw which thrashed us pretty badly. Now that there is a new AES ride scheduled to happen on 11/2, something had to be done.

After a few conversations with the AZT passage stewards and regional director, we are planning to set up some trail work days to clean out all of the catclaw. To do this, we need several volunteers! As of now, the tentative dates for the trail work are Saturday 10/12 and Sunday 10/13. I would like to see how many people can make those dates and if not, what dates would work better. Late October is the timeframe we would like to do the work.

The AZT organization will provide the tools and a trail steward to guide us in completing the work safely and properly. The only thing they can't provide is transportation. FR650 is a very well graded road with the exception of one or two chunky wash crossings. Because of this, a normal sedan can't make it up to the top. So in addition to volunteers, we will need to make sure those volunteers have appropriate vehicles to make the drive up FR650. A normal SUV would be fine making those crossings.

Please let me know if these dates work for people and also let me know if you would be able to make it! The regional director is asking me how many people we can get to help out so let's put up a good show. If you are planning on racing the AES Picketpost Punisher, this would be a great way to put back some volunteer hours into the course and maybe even pre-ride some segments in the process.

Thanks everyone!

EDIT (10/1): The work day will be October 12th! We will decide at the end of the work day if we need more time out there and we will then schedule another work day. Details on exactly where and when to meet will follow soon. I will post them as soon as I know. If you have an SUV, please contribute your time as regular passenger vehicles cannot make it up this road! THANKS!
    Last edited by ECEGatorTuro; 10-01-2013 at 08:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

AZT Reavis Canyon (aka Picketpost North) trail work days... NEED VOLUNTEERS!!

I'm interested, but I'm not around that weekend (12-13) or the one before (5-6). Any other weekend, I could make at least 1 day. And my truck could make it up no problem with a passenger and a bed full of gear.

Ryan

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Thanks for doing the legwork on this Arturo. I should be good to go that weekend, may even entice the wife to help out too!

Ryan, that's good to know. If the trails still need a bit more clearing after the workday, maybe we can round up a few more for some final touch over the following weeks. Even the more popular southern section of AZT was beginning to show signs of encroaching catclaw.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

How much further ???
    Im sure I will be able to get out and help. Just keep us all updated as it gets closer.
    Last edited by Douger-1; 08-06-2013 at 08:24 AM.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

ummm, that's Coco 250 weekend. I suspect that a few of the folks that will be doing the punisher will be doing Coco as well. They are kind of masochistic that way.

Tucson, AZ
    Bummer, same weekend as Coco. Posted on AES FB to promote also.

mtbr member
    Crap. I forgot about the Coco250! Those dates are the only weekend that work for me but they don't have to be the trail work dates for everyone. I'd rather have more people attend if we can find a date that works. We could also split up the work dates or maybe even do one weekend and one weekday (to accommodate work schedules). Just let me know what will work for everyone. I'm doing this early for this reason.

October 5th is the ToWM
    October 12/13 were the tentative days I had selected (happens to coincide with Coco250).
    I'm out of town the next two weekends and then the AES ride is on November 2nd.

EDIT: Thanks Chad for posting it on the AES FB page!

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I'm gonna count myself in for this. Enough of this summer laziness!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Go go gadget bike!
    My first Coco... or clean Cats Claw? Is that even a question!?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Arturo, why not add a poll to this thread? Not all the AES'ers will be doing the Coco. I'm good for either the 12th or 19th weekends, just not the 26th.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    weekend of 12th is also Prescott her.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    I'm gonna count myself in for this. Enough of this summer laziness!
    Since you're well rested I'm expecting you to clear 3 times the amount of Catclaw as the rest of us

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Arturo, why not add a poll to this thread? Not all the AES'ers will be doing the Coco. I'm good for either the 12th or 19th weekends, just not the 26th.
    I don't see any option to add a poll under Thread Tools.

Is there a mod that can help me?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I thought you could add one to the original post while in edit mode. Maybe not??
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    I thought you could add one to the original post while in edit mode. Maybe not??
    I don't see an option anywhere. I googled around about vBulletin and it's supposed to show up under the Thread Tools drop down at the top of the thread. Do you know any mods I can PM?

Carnivore
    Also the 2nd NICA race is that weekend. I could do it the next weekend.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    I've never done any volunteer trail work. Keep us posted when the date(s) become official. Would like to assist...
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie View Post
    I've never done any volunteer trail work. Keep us posted when the date(s) become official. Would like to assist...
    Thanks Cyclejunkie! I may start a new thread later on once we get closer to October.

I think at this point I'm leaning to maybe doing two trail work days but on two weekends. Maybe do the first day on Saturday or Sunday (the 19th or 20th) and then the second day on Saturday or Sunday (the 26th or 27th).

What do you all think?

mtbr member
    Count me in.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

D'oh! I'm in Nawlins' that weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GilaMonster View Post
    Count me in.
    Thanks! I'll keep you in mind when the time gets closer.

Nooooo! Maybe you can be the clean up crew the following weekend if we don't get everything done.

How much further ???
    The proposed work days are only a couple weeks out now. Any updates?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

So I lied. I'm not in Nawlins, but family is coming in that weekend. Got my dates all backwards. Sheesh!

mtbr member
    Ok everyone, it looks like we have firmed up the work date to be October 12th (10/12). After we complete that work date, we will decide if we need to meet again at a later date to finish the rest of the work. I will post up details on when and where exactly in the next few days once I meet with the AZT passage steward.

Try and get as many people involved as you can! Also, if you have an SUV, it would definitely be appreciated as passenger cars cannot make the drive up this road.

How much further ???
    Awaiting details. Any update? Id like to basically know when and where you plan to meet/start the work. Depending on this info Id like to arrive early enough to ride up to where the work will be done and help out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast