mtbr dismember

AZT: Picketpost to Kelvin mid Dec?

I'll be off for the winter and will be riding in Arizona a couple times a month this winter on Saturdays and Tuesdays. I have to say that so far Pickepost to Kelvin is my favorite ride and I'd like to do it either Dec. 14 or 21. Any takers? Due to the short days I'd like to meet by 7 am since it takes at least an hour to get on the trail after shuttling. I'm not particularly fast but I regularly ride 40 - 50 miles. I'm 100% reliable, 100% prepared, 100% self-sufficient and I have 100% fun. I had a broken spoke for most of my last ride so I took it a bit easy. So I'm sure I can ride a bit faster. I'm open to other ride suggestions too. I usually do two rides per trip, one of which is BCT.

This ride is really way out there so you need to be both physically and mechanically prepared.

Last edited by Wherewolf; 12-01-2013 at 08:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Good looking ride. I wanted to bring my bike over for Thanksgiving weekend but just didn't have the space for it.

mtbr dismember

Nobody?

Nobody? I could also ride Wednesday Dec. 11.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I may be able to do the 21st, but won't know for a bit. 14th doesn't work for me & probably quite a few others who would otherwise be interested as the AES McDowell 60 is on the 15th.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr dismember

Great!

Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    I may be able to do the 21st, but won't know for a bit. 14th doesn't work for me & probably quite a few others who would otherwise be interested as the AES McDowell 60 is on the 15th.
    Great, keep me informed. Winter just came here yesterday and I have a few days off next week between final exams. I was planning to ride the 11th and 14th. But if you could do the 21st I'd probably wait until then. Any solo rides you suggest other than BCT?

Si vales, valeo.
    I will have one of my riding buddies in state as well, (as well as my bro-in-law), so there is a chance that the 3 of us could join, though I will run it past them to feel them out. I know Jason will want to ride National primarily, but we'll have plenty of time for that.
    "An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Sure, I can think of a few. What was your BCT route going to be?

Part of it depends on how 'out there' you want to be. Some of the more urban trail systems are quite good, so don't overlook them b/c they're near the big city.

Since you've already done a solo ride on the Picketpost to Kelvin route, I'd also suggest a Ripsey Loop just south of Kelvin. It's roughly 35 miles & 5k climbing. Or you could do a lollipop ride over the same loop, but add in the Boulders section of AZT - this ride would start & end at the Freeman Rd TH.

Some of the urban bigger rides I like are:
    Hawes trails + Pass Mtn. You can get really creative here, hit all the major trails for a 55 miler.
    Gold Canyon, XC fun with incredible views of the Superstitions. A nice big double loop on varying trails will get you 35 miles or so.

Want more tech??
    Check out South Mountain. This is a fun route: Start/End at the 46th St TH, climb Javelina, go up Mormon Loop to National. Stay on National until you drop down to Telegraph pass (3-4 tight loose switchbacks dump you onto the paved summit road), climb the pavement back to Buena Vista lot, down National. At the bottom of National you can make a decision: 1. That was fun, but I'm done, hang a left back onto the Mormon Loop for a short bit, then meet up with Javelina for a nice downhill finish to the car OR 2. That was fun, but I still want more saddle time. Exit National, ride the dirt road down to the Pima Cyn lot and take Desert Classic around the backside of the mountain for some XC miles, flip it when you've had enough. The East Loop trails on the north side of Pima Cyn will loop you back around to 46th St.

Those are just a sampling, there are tons of others if you want more. McDowell Mtns, Phoenix Mtn. Preserve, Sonoran Mtn Preserve, Spur Cross, White Tanks, etc.

I can get you GPX tracks of any ride listed above if you want.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    Great, keep me informed. Winter just came here yesterday and I have a few days off next week between final exams. I was planning to ride the 11th and 14th. But if you could do the 21st I'd probably wait until then. Any solo rides you suggest other than BCT?
    winter just arrived here too....

picketpost will be high 20's in the morning this weekend...

then again that was good riding weather when I lived in Morgantown, WV
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr dismember
    When riding solo with the short days I ride pretty conservatively in a new place. I like to do an out and back on BCT south from Black Canyon City. I'll look into some other sections of the AZT, perhaps south of Kelvin.

mtbr dismember
    Quote Originally Posted by Warshade View Post
    I know Jason will want to ride National primarily, but we'll have plenty of time for that.
    You can ride National anytime you want.This is a special ride you need to shuttle. And it's way out in the desert, the most remote place I've ridden.

Si vales, valeo.

Re: AZT: Picketpost to Kelvin mid Dec?

You can ride National anytime you want.This is a special ride you need to shuttle. And it's way out in the desert, the most remote place I've ridden.
    Indeed.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    "An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton

How much further ???
    I will say riding National verses PicketPost to Kelvin, are two entirely different animals. Make sure you know what you are getting into.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr dismember

Dec. 21st!

Sounds like we have a few people who can do the 21st. As long as I get one other person I'm riding. So let's pencil it in. I am neither fast nor particularity skilled. But I am 100% prepared both physically and mechanically. This ride is really way out there and you need to make sure you are ready for it. As the date gets closer we can finalize the plans. Since this will be the shortest day of the year we will meet near the Kelvin trailhead at 7:30 am.
    Last edited by Wherewolf; 12-05-2013 at 08:54 AM.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Wherewolf, may I suggest meeting down at the finish area (I'm going to assume the new small parking area north of the Gila next to the RR tracks 33.106525, -110.979127). That way people not involved in shuttling vehicles south won't have to sit around for an hour. We could meet at 7:30 & still be riding close to 8am. Just throwing it out there.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr dismember

Great idea!

Wherewolf, may I suggest meeting down at the finish area (I'm going to assume the new small parking area north of the Gila next to the RR tracks 33.106525, -110.979127).
    Great idea! I suggest we meet right along the road (Florence-Kelvin Hwy) just before the RR tracks, and then proceed up the dirt road to the parking area. It's bigger and there is no way anybody could miss it. Of course we still have to finalize who is coming and how many bikes and people they can haul as the date nears. Once I'm down there nothing short of a major snowstorm will prevent me from riding. Below is the elevation profile. The second half of the ride is spectacular!

mtbr member
    Pencil me in as tentative! I've always wanted to do the through ride as I've only gone up to the 15 mile viewpoint just before the big drop down to the Gila.

mtbr dismember

Additional rides

I'll be hanging around for several days and will be ready for more riding with a day or two to rest the knees. Anybody want to plan other similar XC rides?

mtbr member
    Sure, I can think of a few. What was your BCT route going to be?

Part of it depends on how 'out there' you want to be. Some of the more urban trail systems are quite good, so don't overlook them b/c they're near the big city.

Since you've already done a solo ride on the Picketpost to Kelvin route, I'd also suggest a Ripsey Loop just south of Kelvin. It's roughly 35 miles & 5k climbing. Or you could do a lollipop ride over the same loop, but add in the Boulders section of AZT - this ride would start & end at the Freeman Rd TH.

Some of the urban bigger rides I like are:
    Hawes trails + Pass Mtn. You can get really creative here, hit all the major trails for a 55 miler.
    Gold Canyon, XC fun with incredible views of the Superstitions. A nice big double loop on varying trails will get you 35 miles or so.

Want more tech??
    Check out South Mountain. This is a fun route: Start/End at the 46th St TH, climb Javelina, go up Mormon Loop to National. Stay on National until you drop down to Telegraph pass (3-4 tight loose switchbacks dump you onto the paved summit road), climb the pavement back to Buena Vista lot, down National. At the bottom of National you can make a decision: 1. That was fun, but I'm done, hang a left back onto the Mormon Loop for a short bit, then meet up with Javelina for a nice downhill finish to the car OR 2. That was fun, but I still want more saddle time. Exit National, ride the dirt road down to the Pima Cyn lot and take Desert Classic around the backside of the mountain for some XC miles, flip it when you've had enough. The East Loop trails on the north side of Pima Cyn will loop you back around to 46th St.

Those are just a sampling, there are tons of others if you want more. McDowell Mtns, Phoenix Mtn. Preserve, Sonoran Mtn Preserve, Spur Cross, White Tanks, etc.

I can get you GPX tracks of any ride listed above if you want.
    Freeskier46 knows his stuff!! Keep your ears open and brain on when he starts talking details. You will be a happy rider!

Mikey

mtbr dismember

Google Earth photos

I've put photos along the trail on a Google Earth file you can download. Looking forward to this ride!

I like mtn biking, too
    Man, I wish we could join you for your AZT adventure on the 21st! We will hopefully have time to pass through Sedona on our trip, (have ridden there a couple times already and yes it's very cool), and yes we are definitely doing National @ S. Mountain, but this is a unique and special route. The photos look amazing.

We are wide open it seems the 27th - 30th, so maybe there can be another long adventure?
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

Just another half mile...
    Wow, 9 hours total time & 8 hours ride time. Starting out at 8:00 will give you a one hour cushion before sunsets. I would bring head lights just in case you don't get out in time due to mechanicals or injuries. We did the 22 mile section for Picket post to Cochran last weekend in 5.5 hours with one sliced tire that took a good half hour to fix. Never know what or when something will break. Be prepared, this is a long ride in a remote area with limited time before dark sets in, and no easy bailouts. It's a great ride and enjoy!!

Great idea! I suggest we meet right along the road (Florence-Kelvin Hwy) just before the RR tracks, and then proceed up the dirt road to the parking area. It's bigger and there is no way anybody could miss it. Of course we still have to finalize who is coming and how many bikes and people they can haul as the date nears. Once I'm down there nothing short of a major snowstorm will prevent me from riding. Below is the elevation profile. The second half of the ride is spectacular!

mtbr dismember

I've warned people twice

Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    ...Be prepared, this is a long ride in a remote area with limited time before dark sets in, and no easy bailouts. It's a great ride and enjoy!!
    I've warned people twice now. I had a broken spoke on that ride and took it easy. I'm sure I can do it a lot faster if necessary, particularly if I ease off on the photos. But I always carry an LED headlamp and warm clothes in the winter. I also originally suggested an earlier start. The more people, the longer it takes to get on the trail.

mtbr dismember

27th

Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    We are wide open it seems the 27th - 30th, so maybe there can be another long adventure?
    If we planned something for the 27th I'd stick around and ride the 21st, 24th and 27th. Even if we can't get a shuttle together there are plenty of good, long, XC out and back rides.

mtbr dismember