Thread: az trail

mtbr member
    Oct 2003

az trail

Can anybody tell me about the AZ trail section near Oracle going north towards Gila River section?? I am in Tucson and have not been up that way to ride. I am thinking about the American Flag Trailhead and going from there. If I can get any info that would be much appreciated.

Saucy Size Moderator
    Sundog and I rode from the Tiger Mine trailhead north to the gas line several years ago. It's a really nice ride, but that's as far as we got. It was a pretty full day at a pretty snappy pace to get that far. Well constructed trail, easy to find trailhead, a little bit of routefinding along the way, some tricky switchbacks into deep arroyos.

A couple of our regular posters here have done large segments of the AZ Trail by bike, so they've been through all these areas much more recently than me.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

ride.
    when are you thinking of doing it? i will be coming down at ya next week , should be there around tuesday night...i will be the chubby kid towing the BOB trailer

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by fletchfighters
    Can anybody tell me about the AZ trail section near Oracle going north towards Gila River section?? I am in Tucson and have not been up that way to ride. I am thinking about the American Flag Trailhead and going from there. If I can get any info that would be much appreciated.
    What do you want to know?

It's a great ride on the AZT, all the way from Oracle to the Gila. Very rideable trail, some long miles on the gasline, followed by more quality trail. It helps to have a GPS on the trail once you get north of the gasline. Cow trails are often more used than the AZT.

A good loop is to ride north to Freeman road, then loop back on Willow Springs or on highway 77. Here's a writeup from when I first did this loop:

http://www.topofusion.com/diary/2004...antelope-peak/

If you're looking for GPS data, go to:

http://www.topofusion.com/azt/race-route.php

The whole file is ~300 miles long, but it'll have what you're looking for.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Occidental Tourist
    desolate section but fun. some of it can be hard to follow. use a gps and krein's gpx files.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

sprocket
    sometimes there is sand. other times there is stunning solitude. yet other times bring flowing singletrack.

mtbr member
    Fletchfighters

This is a great choice for an AZT tour, I have ridden across the state twice on the AZT and this area is one of my favorites. Check out www.azttripper.blogspot.com for the full write up of my 2006 tour. I would highly recommend getting a GPS and check out www.topofusion.com for a great program to work with GPX files.

Tim

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    thanks for the info. Guess I should go out and buy a GPS!!!!! I normally ride the 50 year trail, Tucson Mountain Park, and Fantasy Island. Have just recently been wanting to see whats in Oracle. Did Elephant Head a month ago and loved it. Figured the section that goes through Oracle State park is a good starting point. Thanks very much for the info. If intrested I am going to go on Sunday. Thinking about 10AM or so.

mtbr member
    If what you are planning is a day ride in Oracle State Park you could get by with out the GPS. The area from American Flag to Hwy 77 is well signed and fairly well traveled it is north of there that things get sketchy.

Also you should check out the new AZT in Colossal Cave Mountain Park www.aztrail-build.org. There will soon be nearly 20 miles of new 1 track from Hwy 83 at Sahuarita road north to Rincon Creek.