Results 1 to 69 of 69
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    509

    AZ top 3 brewery advice (Flagstaff/Sedona/Prescott area)

    I did a thread search and couldn't find any specific recommendations on beer in the area. I'm going to be in the Sedona area in a week and was wondering what top 3 breweries you guys would recommend? I did a bit of research and they all look pretty good, but who has the best beer in your opinion?

    btw, tons of awesome beta and info in the stickies, well done!

  2. #2
    bland
    Reputation: m77ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,289
    When you're in flag do this: go to Mother Road Brewing Microbrewery in Flagstaff Arizona and have a black IPA. Then go to Flagstaff Bicycle Revolution. Northern Arizona's community cycling destenation. a bike shop that shares the building with the brewery and get some trail beta. Hungry? Order a pizza from Pizzicletta also in the same building and eat it at Mother road. Beer, bikes, and pizza under the same roof. What could be better?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,206
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    I did a thread search and couldn't find any specific recommendations on beer in the area. I'm going to be in the Sedona area in a week and was wondering what top 3 breweries you guys would recommend? I did a bit of research and they all look pretty good, but who has the best beer in your opinion?

    btw, tons of awesome beta and info in the stickies, well done!
    Two words: OakCreekBrewery NutBrown. Game over
    Last edited by Casual Observer; 04-17-2013 at 11:49 AM.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  4. #4
    bland
    Reputation: m77ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Two words: Oak Creek Brewery Nut Brown. Game over
    Learn how to spell dummy!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,206
    Sorry. Fixed
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eazy_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Two words: OakCreekBrewery NutBrown. Game over
    For real? No, I mean, really, for real?

    I took one drink of that vile swill and poured the rest down the drain. I wouldn't take another if you paid me.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    For real? No, I mean, really, for real?

    I took one drink of that vile swill and poured the rest down the drain. I wouldn't take another if you paid me.
    Sucks to be you. Let me guess, your beer of choice includes a piece of fruit?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    Being a brewer in AZ, my favorites are Oak Creek (Sedona), Four Peaks(Tempe), Lumberyard(Flag), and Mother Road (Flag) in that order.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    For real? No, I mean, really, for real?

    I took one drink of that vile swill and poured the rest down the drain. I wouldn't take another if you paid me.
    I'm curious about this. Where did you buy the beer from?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eazy_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    I'm curious about this. Where did you buy the beer from?
    I believe it was the Sunflower on 7th and Bell in PHX. It would have been about a year ago that I bought it.

    It might have been rank, but I just remember it tasting bitter, like a strong IPA. I hate IPA anyway, so that's no shock. The other people I gave the rest of the six to didn't complain.

  11. #11
    bland
    Reputation: m77ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    I just remember it tasting bitter, like a strong IPA.
    That ain't the nut brown.

  12. #12
    PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Reputation: azdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,256
    Lumberyard *imperial* red.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

  13. #13
    PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Reputation: azdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,256
    Eazy E is just used to his local St. Louis brew-bud
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Two words: OakCreekBrewery NutBrown. Game over
    +1 The wings are excellent at that place as well

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eazy_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    That ain't the nut brown.
    That's what the bottle I had said. I explicitly remember it being nut brown and having a bad taste. It happens, I'll try other stuff from them, but the nut brown is a forever no go for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    Eazy E is just used to his local St. Louis brew-bud
    Here's the REAL hometown brew:
    Name:  StagBeer.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  70.5 KB

    Stand
    Tall
    And
    Great

    Steak
    Taters
    And
    Gravy

    7.36 for a 12bk of bottles at Walmart. And I actually like it.

  16. #16
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,084
    huh..wrong thread

  17. #17
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,155
    Do you post on beer boards looking for trail maps?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,206
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Do you post on beer boards looking for trail maps?
    ^^^fails to realize that 110% of all mountain bikers drink beer.

    P.S. Tecate is not brewed in Arizona.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  19. #19
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    ^^^fails to realize that 110% of all mountain bikers drink beer.

    P.S. Tecate is not brewed in Arizona.
    LDS
    those in training
    Gangi

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RajunCajun44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,809

    Dennis Hopper the OH (Original Hipster)


  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    33
    This thread is making me thirsty!

    I have added a couple of new beers to the list i need to try.
    Last edited by ckeeler; 04-17-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: not cmplete the 1st time

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    I believe it was the Sunflower on 7th and Bell in PHX. It would have been about a year ago that I bought it.

    It might have been rank, but I just remember it tasting bitter, like a strong IPA. I hate IPA anyway, so that's no shock. The other people I gave the rest of the six to didn't complain.
    That's not Nut Brown, I can tell you that much.

    One of the things I see a lot in PHX is stores storing beer on a shelf rather than in a cooler. Don't buy warm beer. Best case scenario, the flavors will be off and worst case you'll wind up with mud butt. Either way, it's no good.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Do you post on beer boards looking for trail maps?
    That reminded me...thanks!

    Arizona Craft Brewers Guild
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    That reminded me...thanks!

    Arizona Craft Brewers Guild
    excellent beer map, thanks! Sounds like mother road/bicycle revolution and lumberyard will be top of my list when i'm passing through flagstaff.

  25. #25
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,107
    Wanderlust Brewery in Flagstaff for something not designed for Maricopa County....only open Thurs and Fri night right now...but you can get them at Hops on Birch in Flagstaff as well as other locations....drank his Belgian at Diablo Burger just this last week.....yum.

    Oak Creek Brewery....go to the brewery, not the tap room at Tlaquepaque....free pop corn....much better beer that you can only get there and not at the tap room or in bottles....plus you have good hot dogs

    Mother Road Brew.....as 77 said above....pizza, beer and bikes in the same building....what can go wrong?

  26. #26
    bland
    Reputation: m77ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    .....as 77 said above....pizza, beer and bikes in the same building....what can go wrong?
    Well, I have gained some weight since the brewery opened.

  27. #27
    I love bike!
    Reputation: dsittman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,155
    MMMMMM....Nut Brown Ale FTW!!!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    Now that we're all thirsty, if anybody is in Tucson on Saturday there is the inaugural Springfest Beer Festival if you want to try out some beer from all over the state. I know all the breweries mentioned will be there and then some... Arizona Craft Brewers Guild
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,995
    Gordon Biersch - too corporate?

  30. #30
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    27,521
    All right. 11 years in Prescott and frequent trips to Flagstaff:

    Prescott Brewing Company. Usually very solid on beer. Good seasonal/limited production beers that are available from time to time, including abbeys, stouts, ipas, reds, and pretty much everything. The quality of the brew was usually top notch. The staple is the Liquid Amber. While they aren't quite as varied as a few brewers that just go insane with some of their different types, I could always count on them to not throw a curve ball and they seem to have a real passion for brewing. The food on the other hand left something to be desired at times. I'd say over the years this HAS improved, and it's not horrible, it's just that some comparable breweries are better in this way. They still have some unique food that is very good, especially the burger with the pub-dip and the wings specifically are second to none in and around Prescott. The ambiance and location is top-notch, decorated pretty neat inside with it's own unique flair.

    Beaver Street Brewery: Good beer. Again, I could always count on it being good, but not quite at the level of PBC. Their claim to fame is their Railhead Red, and it's definitely good, but I'd often have a hard time finding their other beers to be unique AND exemplary. Not that PBC was always that much better, it just seemed it was a little better most of the time as far as the liquid goods. Where the BSB stood out was food. The food quality and recipes are better IME, and that made it a better post-ride place for me. Better looking waitresses much of the time. Decorated like you'd expect, nothing too surprising. Outside seating is kind of nice too on a summer day.

    If I could have the beer of PBC with the food of BSB, I would consider that to be near perfection. I've been to some breweries with better beer in NorCal, but it's not by much and the food wasn't any better.

    Flagstaff Brewery: Not really a beer brewery, even though they do brew beer and do have some food. The reason I mention this is that if you like tasting scotch/whiskey, they have a selection that is second to none with some interesting local varieties.

    4 Peaks (Tempe): Only went a few times. Beer seemed good. Food seemed good. Location is middle of the city. Although it seems like a good brewery, I like having the breweries in places like Flagstaff and Prescott more.

    Oak Creek Brewery: Meh...nothing much to see here IME.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: idaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    499
    Wanderlust Brewery, in Flag, is the dream of a cyclist who used to put on a pretty cool grassroots race, The Crazy88.
    I sampled some of his beers at one of those races and found them all to be good and interesting. His taproom has limited hours but the "BeerFinder" on his website Wanderlust Brewing Company | Beers for the journey will get your pint filled.
    Cheers,
    M

  32. #32
    pedaller
    Reputation: Noelg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,400
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    Learn how to spell dummy!
    Lol! "Destenation" anyone?

    Glass houses bro.

    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    All right. 11 years in Prescott and frequent trips to Flagstaff:

    Prescott Brewing Company. Usually very solid on beer. Good seasonal/limited production beers that are available from time to time, including abbeys, stouts, ipas, reds, and pretty much everything. The quality of the brew was usually top notch. The staple is the Liquid Amber. While they aren't quite as varied as a few brewers that just go insane with some of their different types, I could always count on them to not throw a curve ball and they seem to have a real passion for brewing. The food on the other hand left something to be desired at times. I'd say over the years this HAS improved, and it's not horrible, it's just that some comparable breweries are better in this way. They still have some unique food that is very good, especially the burger with the pub-dip and the wings specifically are second to none in and around Prescott. The ambiance and location is top-notch, decorated pretty neat inside with it's own unique flair.

    Beaver Street Brewery: Good beer. Again, I could always count on it being good, but not quite at the level of PBC. Their claim to fame is their Railhead Red, and it's definitely good, but I'd often have a hard time finding their other beers to be unique AND exemplary. Not that PBC was always that much better, it just seemed it was a little better most of the time as far as the liquid goods. Where the BSB stood out was food. The food quality and recipes are better IME, and that made it a better post-ride place for me. Better looking waitresses much of the time. Decorated like you'd expect, nothing too surprising. Outside seating is kind of nice too on a summer day.

    If I could have the beer of PBC with the food of BSB, I would consider that to be near perfection. I've been to some breweries with better beer in NorCal, but it's not by much and the food wasn't any better.

    Flagstaff Brewery: Not really a beer brewery, even though they do brew beer and do have some food. The reason I mention this is that if you like tasting scotch/whiskey, they have a selection that is second to none with some interesting local varieties.

    4 Peaks (Tempe): Only went a few times. Beer seemed good. Food seemed good. Location is middle of the city. Although it seems like a good brewery, I like having the breweries in places like Flagstaff and Prescott more.

    Oak Creek Brewery: Meh...nothing much to see here IME.
    Anybody who lists Prescott Brewery in their top choices of AZ breweries cannot be trusted.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  34. #34
    bland
    Reputation: m77ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg View Post
    Lol! "Destenation" anyone?

    Glass houses bro.

    Destyn8ion?

    It was you know, the ironing, you know because he said tow words ant then said like fore words so the joke would have been learnt how to count but i made the other joke for the laugh havings.

    *EDIT: I just looked at my post and that spelling is from FBR not me. "Precious's" spelling is really bad. I have to edit a lot of FBR facebook posts. Like when he announced "FlagBikeRev is now eccepting applications.
    Last edited by m77ranger; 04-18-2013 at 12:24 PM.

  35. #35
    shred my gnar
    Reputation: happy_ending's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    604
    how is fbc "not really a beer brewery"? interesting take... they are definitely a small brewery but i believe i have been drinking their beer on and off (mostly off for the last decade) since 95. i would say i had the shits for my entire junior year at nau thanks to blackbird porter. the babbaganouj is a pretty decent ipa but unfortunately doesnt come close to sniffin the top notch san diego ipas.

    id go with mother road, beaver street, four peaks and flag poo co... in that order. the last couple times ive had nimbus it was very underwhelming... never tried prescott but i will def give it a go on jayem's rec. loved good canned beer!

  36. #36
    SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Reputation: longhairmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,587
    there should be a MEME for arguing about beer on the internet...

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    158
    Going to avoid repeats, and just add that if you can make it down into Chandler visit San Tan Brewery. Great Beer & Food!
    "This fish who keeps on swimming, is the first to chill upstream" - 311

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by juggles View Post
    Going to avoid repeats, and just add that if you can make it down into Chandler visit San Tan Brewery. Great Beer & Food!
    I 2nd that. The Devil's Ale is delicious.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,206
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    Destyn8ion?

    It was you know, the ironing, you know because he said tow words ant then said like fore words so the joke would have been learnt how to count but i made the other joke for the laugh havings.

    *EDIT: I just looked at my post and that spelling is from FBR not me. "Precious's" spelling is really bad. I have to edit a lot of FBR facebook posts. Like when he announced "FlagBikeRev is now eccepting applications.
    Your forgeven.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  40. #40
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    27,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Anybody who lists Prescott Brewery in their top choices of AZ breweries cannot be trusted.
    Was/is not my top choice. Just happened to list it first. BSB food and location usually win me over.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  41. #41
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    27,521
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending View Post
    how is fbc "not really a beer brewery"? interesting take... they are definitely a small brewery but i believe i have been drinking their beer on and off (mostly off for the last decade) since 95. i would say i had the shits for my entire junior year at nau thanks to blackbird porter. the babbaganouj is a pretty decent ipa but unfortunately doesnt come close to sniffin the top notch san diego ipas!
    So-so food selection, not necessarily the widest selection/most interesting brews, not the same setting as other breweries, rarely something radical (oak barrel aged stout, etc), and so on. I definitely don't hate it and have been there a few times, but if you are going there looking for an outstanding brewery, I think it may be a bit disappointing. Was great as my launch-point for the Social D concert
    Last edited by Jayem; 04-18-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Was/is not my top choice. Just happened to list it first. BSB food and location usually win me over.
    I said "top choices." PBC (and BSB for that matter) where good once. But they are getting left behind, IMO. The art of beer making is leaving them in the dust. I agree with you about 4 Peaks. And look how they have evolved since they first started brewing.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending View Post
    how is fbc "not really a beer brewery"?
    and flag poo co...
    FBC is not a brewery that I go to in order to drink their beer. I love the guest taps/cans/bottles but haven't had a great beer that they brew. Having said that, they have the scene that any brewery needs; lots of people and good music and good beer...its just a shame it isn't their beer...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: clarkrw3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    543
    Love San Tan as well, much better IMO than 4peaks.

  45. #45
    No mames guey
    Reputation: tpvet73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    297
    I won't get into the ranking game since I think each of the Flag area breweries has 2-3 excellent beers. But here is my idea of a good Friday afternoon tour...
    - Stop at Majestic Mobil on Milton. Buy something Belgium and something German. Save for later.
    - In no particular order: Mother Road, Beaver Street, Lumberyard, Flag Brewing, Wanderlust.
    - Hit the taps at: Hops on Birch, Uptown Pubhouse (aka Uptown Billards), Mia's, and Pay N Take.
    - Machacha breakfast burrito from Polibertos.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
    Love San Tan as well, much better IMO than 4peaks.
    better food AND beer at that!
    "This fish who keeps on swimming, is the first to chill upstream" - 311

  47. #47
    shred my gnar
    Reputation: happy_ending's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    604
    i agree their beer isnt too great. i didnt know better when i was younger but, as i mentioned, dont drink it anymore with any regularity. if i stop by there these days there is 95% chance ill be drinking a guest tap or scotch (fantastic scotch selection).

    i put the place on my list more out of nostalgia than because their beer is good. regardless, its definitely a brewery.

    overall, id say arizona is sorely lacking in quality craft breweries... especially compared to all of our neighboring states other than nevada. id say that even new mexico clearly kicks our ass... marble, sante fe and la cumbre are all great. we're an absolute embarrassment compared to so or norcal and brahlorado. utah steps up... uinta has really been growing on me.

    enough of this... im going for a ride then hammering down a few happy camper ipas!

    TGIF!!!

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending View Post
    overall, id say arizona is sorely lacking in quality craft breweries...
    Not sure what Arizona you are in, but Az got multiple big mentions for its high quality craft brews and breweries this year.

    Personally I feel like we are quickly drawing closer to "passing" Colorado on the imaginary scale that measures how good o craft brews each state has. California still a ways off...just my 2c
    "This fish who keeps on swimming, is the first to chill upstream" - 311

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by juggles View Post
    Personally I feel like we are quickly drawing closer to "passing" Colorado on the imaginary scale that measures how good o craft brews each state has. California still a ways off...just my 2c
    I'm pretty stoked to try some of what AZ has to offer. The breweries on the western slope of CO are severely lacking. All the good beer in this state is out on the front range (Denver/Boulder/Fort Collins). Luckily the liquor stores regularly stock good bombers and 6 packs.

  50. #50
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    27,521
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending View Post
    id say that even new mexico clearly kicks our ass... marble, sante fe and la cumbre are all great.
    Didn't think Santa Fe was all that great.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    210
    Please, if you come to Flag.. don't go to flag brew and think that is what we have to offer. It is filth. It tastes like liquid hippy ass. The food is mediocre, and the help can't be bothered to shower and stay sober for their shift.

    When I walk into a new brewery I look at how clean the place is, especially around the equipment used to brew. You can't have a slack attitude towards sanitation and expect clean, consistent batches. Flag brew is disgusting.

    Walk into Beaver street, or Mother Road and either place is immaculate. The staff is well trained and professional. This is a necessary step in the brewing process, as well as being very indicative to their commitment level to both their product and their patrons.

    I can't comment on Wander Lust but hear very good things from the other brewers in town, I am anxious to try it.

  52. #52
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    27,521
    Quote Originally Posted by SuctionGoat View Post
    Please, if you come to Flag.. don't go to flag brew and think that is what we have to offer. It is filth. It tastes like liquid hippy ass. The food is mediocre, and the help can't be bothered to shower and stay sober for their shift.

    When I walk into a new brewery I look at how clean the place is, especially around the equipment used to brew. You can't have a slack attitude towards sanitation and expect clean, consistent batches. Flag brew is disgusting.

    Walk into Beaver street, or Mother Road and either place is immaculate. The staff is well trained and professional. This is a necessary step in the brewing process, as well as being very indicative to their commitment level to both their product and their patrons.

    I can't comment on Wander Lust but hear very good things from the other brewers in town, I am anxious to try it.
    Basically this...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  53. #53
    bland
    Reputation: m77ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by SuctionGoat View Post

    I can't comment on Wander Lust but hear very good things from the other brewers in town, I am anxious to try it.
    I love Mother Road and their beer, but Nate brews the best beer in town.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by tpvet73 View Post
    I won't get into the ranking game since I think each of the Flag area breweries has 2-3 excellent beers. But here is my idea of a good Friday afternoon tour...
    - Stop at Majestic Mobil on Milton. Buy something Belgium and something German. Save for later.
    - In no particular order: Mother Road, Beaver Street, Lumberyard, Flag Brewing, Wanderlust.
    - Hit the taps at: Hops on Birch, Uptown Pubhouse (aka Uptown Billards), Mia's, and Pay N Take.
    - Machacha breakfast burrito from Polibertos.
    This

    Although I'd probably take Flag Brewing out for the reasons others have stated. Wanderlust is way up on my list. I sat and went through each of his 4 brews. All good. Lumberyard Imperial Red is awesome and so is their Imperial Scotch. Mother Road has good stuff, but they're all safe beers. Oak Creek Nut Brown is great, but can be had just about anywhere, so it's off the "special beer" list for me.

    My favorite in Flag is Wanderlust since not many local brewers are willing to venture into the Belgium styles. It's also why my favorite in Tucson is Dragoon.
    John

  55. #55
    bland
    Reputation: m77ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Slabshaft View Post
    Mother Road has good stuff, but they're all safe beers.
    Have you had their 66 Chutes bourbon stout? They've also had some Belgium stuff on tap that was pretty good. I bet as they grow as a brewery they will have more "unsafe" offerings. At the bike shop we helped them get rid of some adventurist test batches that didn't turn out as planed. Free beer is free beer!

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    Have you had their 66 Chutes bourbon stout? They've also had some Belgium stuff on tap that was pretty good. I bet as they grow as a brewery they will have more "unsafe" offerings. At the bike shop we helped them get rid of some adventurist test batches that didn't turn out as planed. Free beer is free beer!
    I definitely missed those offerings. I will have to keep checking in to see what they have going on.
    John

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azbeersnob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    170
    If you make it to Prescott there are really only 2 choices. Prescott Brewing Company and Granite Mountain Brewing. Both make good beers but nothing special.

    PBC has a good IPA and Imperial Stout and decent food. Granite Mountain is all ales of homebrew quality with minimal food choices.

    When in Sedona we go to Oak Creek Brewery that has a great Nut Brown as mentioned and a very good German Hefe.

    Jeff

  58. #58
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    27,521
    Quote Originally Posted by azbeersnob View Post
    If you make it to Prescott there are really only 2 choices. Prescott Brewing Company and Granite Mountain Brewing. Both make good beers but nothing special.

    PBC has a good IPA and Imperial Stout and decent food. Granite Mountain is all ales of homebrew quality with minimal food choices.

    When in Sedona we go to Oak Creek Brewery that has a great Nut Brown as mentioned and a very good German Hefe.

    Jeff
    Willow wheat is always consistent. They do a tripple seasonally, hefeweisens, some other belgian types, also chocolate and higher end stouts seasonally as well as many more. I'd say PBC is a lot less about IPAs, and that's fine with me. If you're living there in town, you'll see more variety, and it's always quality, not watered down or crap. The food has gotten better and does have some good choices, but it's more the combination of the food and beer that makes it decent.

    Plaza Liquor and Beer has some good food and nearly unlimited selection of hard to find and import beers. Lots of belgians, small batch microbrews, etc. Everything from Pliney the Elder to Deus Brut Des Flandres. This is the best beer selection in Prescott, but nothing on tap. It's kind of a local-hang out and while they serve pizzas and other good food, great for a post-ride, it's not a full blown restaurant either.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  59. #59
    Dog-food-eating-chicken
    Reputation: nlytendone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    27
    Kinda like a broken record, but...

    Flagstaff - Mother Road (American Ale, Gold Road), Lumberyard (IPA, Red Ale), and Wanderlust (try everything)...and PayNtake (although not a brewery). Mother Road is great for immediate post-ride refreshment.

    Sedona - Oak Creek (Pale Ale)

    Prescott - No idea, but PBC canned Pondy IPA is pretty tasty.

    /$0.02
    My legs hurt.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reamer41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    736

    AZ top 3 brewery advice (Flagstaff/Sedona/Prescott area)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    .

    Plaza Liquor and Beer has some good food and nearly unlimited selection of hard to find and import beers. Lots of belgians, small batch microbrews, etc. Everything from Pliney the Elder to Deus Brut Des Flandres. This is the best beer selection in Prescott, but nothing on tap. It's kind of a local-hang out and while they serve pizzas and other good food, great for a post-ride, it's not a full blown restaurant either.
    Plaza always has about a dozen beers on tap. It a frequently changing list that does not include mass-market crap.

    Great spot for lunch or dinner -- but Jayem's correct, while they have tables and table service it does not have the feel of a restaurant. Pizzas are the best in town, and some great sandwiches.
    --Reamer

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azbeersnob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    170
    Jayem I have been trolling for Pliney the Elder anywhere in town and no luck yet. Can't even get St. Barnardus Abt 12 here in town.

    Hopefully the Alaska beer scene is treating you well.

    Jeff

  62. #62
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    27,521
    Quote Originally Posted by azbeersnob View Post
    Jayem I have been trolling for Pliney the Elder anywhere in town and no luck yet. Can't even get St. Barnardus Abt 12 here in town.

    Hopefully the Alaska beer scene is treating you well.

    Jeff
    I know I've had the Abt 12 there (I even had it here in my training location of Oklahoma City at Tapwerks). I had that and a karmeliet tripel one day after a ride and then I was good to go! They had the full range of St. Barnardus at Plaza, maybe it goes in and out? They also kept in the DFH WW Stout while it was being produced.

    I know the owner kind of picks and chooses on whim, so you'll see stuff sometimes that you'd never expect, only for it to be gone in a few months for a while. Sour beers, trappist, barlywines, all sorts of IPAs. It surely doesn't lack selection! I didn't remember them having anything on tap, but all the better then.

    It was always interesting how The Raven always has a similar but much smaller collection and it always costs more. The food there (The Raven) is way too hit and miss.

    Anchorage has some good breweries, some nice oak-aged ones at Glacier Bay, Snow Goose, etc. So far not bad. I haven't made it to Moose Tooth yet, which is supposed to be great, but I had about one of the best pizza's I've ever had at Glacier Bay with reigndeer sausage, caramelized onions and feta.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending View Post
    overall, id say arizona is sorely lacking in quality craft breweries... especially compared to all of our neighboring states other than nevada. id say that even new mexico clearly kicks our ass... marble, sante fe and la cumbre are all great. we're an absolute embarrassment compared to so or norcal and brahlorado. utah steps up... uinta has really been growing on me.

    enough of this... im going for a ride then hammering down a few happy camper ipas!

    TGIF!!!
    Dude, you obviously do not know what you are talking about. Four Peaks, Nimbus, Prescott Brewery, Oak Creek, Lumberyard, Beaver Street, and probably a couple of others have won gold medals for at least one of their beers if not a few. It's not easy to get the gold or any medal when your Pale Ale is being compared to 1300 other Pale Ales at GABF or WBC.

    Enough of this, I'm going to go drink a World Beer Cup gold medal winning Pale that was brewed right here in AZ.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: clarkrw3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    543

    AZ top 3 brewery advice (Flagstaff/Sedona/Prescott area)

    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    Dude, you obviously do not know what you are talking about. Four Peaks, Nimbus, Prescott Brewery, Oak Creek, Lumberyard, Beaver Street, and probably a couple of others have won gold medals for at least one of their beers if not a few. It's not easy to get the gold or any medal when your Pale Ale is being compared to 1300 other Pale Ales at GABF or WBC.

    Enough of this, I'm going to go drink a World Beer Cup gold medal winning Pale that was brewed right here in AZ.
    Not to mention San Tan which I feel is better than all listed!!

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tysonnemb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,090
    Just had the Oak Creek Hefe this weekend. Possibly the best wheat beer I've ever had. I kinda wish I tried a few others, but I didn't.

  66. #66
    shred my gnar
    Reputation: happy_ending's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    604
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    Dude, you obviously do not know what you are talking about. Four Peaks, Nimbus, Prescott Brewery, Oak Creek, Lumberyard, Beaver Street, and probably a couple of others have won gold medals for at least one of their beers if not a few. It's not easy to get the gold or any medal when your Pale Ale is being compared to 1300 other Pale Ales at GABF or WBC.

    Enough of this, I'm going to go drink a World Beer Cup gold medal winning Pale that was brewed right here in AZ.
    woah(ey) broseph... my taste buds dont lie to me! surprised it took until page 3 for someone to tell someone else that their beer preferences are wrong. congrats on being that guy!

    the breweries you list to back up your opinion are the very ones that i have found to be decidedly average to good. i know there are others i havent had a chance to try yet and will eventually. i drink the beav/lumberyard fairly regularly but they arent anywhere on my radar when i hit the beer store to grab a 6er or a bomber.

    id love to be wrong but my taste buds havent confirmed otherwise. i WANT az breweries to be up there with CO & CA but we arent there yet, imo. trust me when i say i look forward to being "wrong".

    i did try pbc's pondo ipa over the weekend and really, really dug it so that is a step in the right direction (good rec, jayem). im open to more suggestions, no doubt.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    754
    If you are in flagstaff do the ale trail sample it all and decide for your self. The ale trail is a lot of fun and you get a cool silicone pint glass.
    Flagstaff Ale Trail | A walking tour of craft breweries

    Now a public service announcement.
    Just do not buy oak creek in bottles. There bottling process is whack even in places that refrigerate it and dont keep it around long you have low odds of getting good stuff. At the brewery or on tap some where it is very good. I have been burned more than once by there messed up bottling line. Flat skunked just a little off but never tasting right when out of a bottle. Get a six pack maybe one bottle will be ok. Get it on tap and its good every time.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjay View Post
    Now a public service announcement.
    Just do not buy oak creek in bottles. There bottling process is whack even in places that refrigerate it and dont keep it around long you have low odds of getting good stuff. At the brewery or on tap some where it is very good. I have been burned more than once by there messed up bottling line. Flat skunked just a little off but never tasting right when out of a bottle. Get a six pack maybe one bottle will be ok. Get it on tap and its good every time.
    Off flavors don't come from bottling equipment. They come from beer being mishandled. That aside, if you took the six pack back to the store they probably would refund your money. If you took it back to the brewery you'd probably get your money back and/or another six pack.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    509
    thanks for all the suggestions. We stayed a few days in flagstaff. Awesome town, really enjoyed mother road. They were what I envisioned a brewery to be, wish they had more on tap. Just went to oak creek yesterday, really tasty brew. The riding here is freakin awesome. Would it be alright to just tell everybody back home to skip Moab and make the trip to AZ since personally I think the riding is way better with no 3.2% laws to boot.

Similar Threads

  1. Flagstaff or Prescott
    By Hkp2000 in forum Arizona
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 10-24-2017, 08:37 AM
  2. Advice for riding in Sedona and Flagstaff
    By ChipM in forum Arizona
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 08:24 PM
  3. Flagstaff and Prescott AZ Footage
    By rideflatout in forum Pivot Cycles
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-04-2011, 01:32 PM
  4. Flagstaff and Prescott AZ mini Roadtrip Vid
    By rideflatout in forum Arizona
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 03:59 PM
  5. Flagstaff to Sedona and back up to Flagstaff
    By BEATCOLLECTOR in forum Arizona
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 11:52 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •