Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kathleen in AZ

AZ Spring Fling Gathering - March 15-18

The MTBR Arizona Spring Fling Gathering (AZSF07) is just around the corner on March 15th thru March 18th. The Spring Fling is an informal gathering of mountain bikers from the US and beyond. This will be the 8th official Spring Fling gathering. For a history of the Fling, check out: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=247024

We have a strong group of dedicated locals who are excited to show our out-of-state (and in-state!) guests the best that AZ has to offer. Perhaps you are local who hasn't met the MTBR crowd... all are invited!! We hope to accomodate all levels of riding from the advanced beginner to the advanced expert. Please note that true begininers will find our trails difficult to say the least. Format of the gathering will be similar to previous years with official rides on Thurs-Sun and parties thrown in here and there:

Pre-fling ride on Wed: Mesa, Hawes/Red Mtn
    Thurs: Tucson, Milagrosa etc
    Friday: Phoenix, South Mountain rides
    Saturday: Sedona
    Sunday: TBD but likely to have several rides offered in Phoenix and Prescott

To keep up with all the happenings, I urge all to join the Yahoo groups list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AZSF07
    To subscribe, send an e-mail to: AZSF07-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

I will be adding files with detailed information on the AZSF07 Yahoo Groups site, including meeting places and locations, maps, etc. Information will be updated frequently so you'll need to check back often, especially closer to the date.

Kathleen, your AZSF07 coordinator

Kathleen in AZ
    Spring Fling is only 5 weeks away!

Just wanted to let all know that the Fling has not been forgotten. Planning is going slowly now but will pick up soon, especially after 24HOP. I still have a list of all of you who volunteered last Nov/Dec when we first started talking about the fling and will be looking to follow up with those commitments soon .

If you haven't given it much thought, then do so now!! I'll be needing ride leaders/sweepers for all 5 days. I'll also need some help with the Fri SoMo party. If someone could offer coordination of camping at Sedona and/or Prescott that'd be much appreciated. But know that helping out is not a requirement - the only requirement is that you show up with a good attitude and have fun!!

For now, make sure to sign up to the AZSF07 yahoogroups. There is not a lot of chatter on the site, just good questions and answers and exchange of ideas. I just added some hotel and camping info to the info sheet that can be accessed thru the site. There are about 50 people on the list now, but I know more are out there who will be attending. I'll also be sure to post updates on this sticky.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Upcoming Visit

Glad I checked this site. I will be flying to AZ to spend some time with my in-laws. We fly in on Wed 3-14. Was hoping to find a bike shop that rented a quality full suspension and some trail to enjoy while down in the SW. Not sure what the family has planned and what my schedule will allow, but I was planning on packing my shoes, helmet and camel pack.

Can you give me a list of LBS or their websites to contact. I will get the info on where we will be staying in the PHX area in the next day or two which may help as well.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Jason

Horizontally Compliant
    Jason,

Check out cactus bike... http://www.cactusbike.com/store/cont...gory_id=BKR001 or call them at 480.940.7433 they offer rentals... others may want to chime in, as I'm sure there are plenty of places that rent bikes in AZ.

Good luck...

Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    Thread thread has a strong quasi-Craig's List Casual Encounters Man on Man vibe. I digress. As you were.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Spring Fling Bound

This will be my first Fling, believe it or not. It has always been too close to the 24HOP for me to do both. But since I didn't race this year and there was a dirt cheap flight, I just booked one to Phoenix so I can ride and party with all my Zonie friends (and make new friends too!).

It'll just be me. Jesper is going to stay in Boulder with the dogs and will probably get some nice spring skiing in over the weekend.

Since all I've done for the last four months is tele ski, I better get my butt on a bike before I head out!

Lone Wolf McQuade

Maybe I should be riding the "short yellow bus"...

...because I can't get into the Yahoo group forum. Is there any way someone can post the 07 AZ Spring Fling itinerary into the MTBR forums so losers like me can see when/where the rides will be....thanks.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by beagledadi
    ...because I can't get into the Yahoo group forum. Is there any way someone can post the 07 AZ Spring Fling itinerary into the MTBR forums so losers like me can see when/where the rides will be....thanks.
    The itinerary is being worked on (see Kathleen's poll) and will be posted here for all to see. Why can't you get into the Yahoo group?

dje
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

spring fling

Hello,
    Coming to the spring fling from Michigan. Im also unable to figure out the yahoo group thing... It would be great if further info such as meeting locations, times, and directions could be posted on mtbr.com Thanks, doug

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by dje
    Hello,
    Coming to the spring fling from Michigan. Im also unable to figure out the yahoo group thing... It would be great if further info such as meeting locations, times, and directions could be posted on mtbr.com Thanks, doug
    Doug - Glad to hear that you are making the journey to AZ! I do plan to post all info to MTBR. Problem is that I now have it all in Word and cut-and-paste into the forum comes ends up with all sorts of formatting issues. I will figure it out and get the new details up ASAP! I'll be posting to this thread, so stay tuned and thanks for your patience.

-Kathleen

Kathleen in AZ
    ALL FLING UPDATES HERE
    --- NEW RIDE TIMES due to Heat Wave (changed on 3/12/07) ---

Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    To keep up with all the happenings, I urge all to join the Yahoo groups list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AZSF07
    To subscribe, send an e-mail to: AZSF07-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

I will be adding files with detailed information on the AZSF07 Yahoo Groups site, including meeting places and locations, maps, etc. Information will be updated frequently so you'll need to check back often, especially closer to the date.
    In case you're not on the yahoogroup, here is the latest info. I will be editing this post with all updates so keep an eye on this post!!
    Spring Fling Hotline!!! Often weather or other unforeseen events may cause last-minute changes to our schedule (ride cancelations, ride start time or location changes, impromptu parties or events). If this happens, we will be announcing changes on a recorded voice message service. When in doubt, call the AZ Hotline: 480-461-5695

The Rides
    Pre-fling ride on Wednesday, March 14: Phoenix – Hawes/Red Mountain
    The ride: “B”, relaxed pace, 15-21 miles, rolling fun with nothing too technical or hard, lots of options for bail outs.
    Ride Time: FIP (Feet in Pedals) @ 8 AM.
    Meeting location: Parking lot behind the Walgreen’s at 3624 N Power Rd, Mesa, AZ 85215
    Directions: The 202 now runs all the way to Power Rd, so head East on the 202 until it ends, turn left on Power, then left again on Thomas and right into the Walgreen’s parking lot. Driving north on Power from the I-60 is not recommended (lots of construction).

Trail map: http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...album=54&pos=6
    **all maps at this site created by Dale Wiggens (Epicrider)

Thursday, March 15: Tucson – Milagrosa Shuttle
    Ride difficulty: “A” ride with shuttle. Will be shuttling bikes/riders up Prison Camp to ride Molino Basin & Milagrosa trails. This is an A ride due to technical challenges and aerobic effort. It is a tough trial with lots of techy downhill, but plenty of climbing too. Armor is recommended.
    Shuttle: ShortBusJames has room for 12 people from Phx area, so make your reservations ASAP (respond to this post or send me a PM)!! Meet James and the short bus at the Gold’s Gym parking lot on the SE corner of Elliot and 52nd street (just west of the I-10). Be there at 6:30AM sharp!!! Need to leave by 7AM for 2-hr drive to Tucson.
    Meeting place/time: Meet at LeBuzz coffee shop (9095 E. Tanque Verde Road, Tucson, AZ 85749) @ 9AM. There will be room for ~24 bikes and people in the short bus for the shuttle up the hill.
    Directions to Le Buzz: Take I-10 to Ina Road, and head East on Ina. Ina will change names twice, to Skyline and then Sunrise. About a mile after you pass the signal at Craycroft, the next signal at the bottom of a hill is Kolb. Turn right. Kolb will become Sabino Canyon, and about a mile after that you will come to a T intersection with Tanque Verde. Turn left and stay in either of the two left lanes (the right lane will become another road). After about a mile, find LeBuzz tucked in a shopping center on the NE corner of the Tanque Verde / Catalina Highway intersection behind the McDonalds.

Trail map: http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...album=59&pos=0

Thursday, March 15: Tucson – AZ Trail @ Vail
    Ride Leader: MyBike'sBroken (Aaron) from Tucson
    The Ride: It's a C+/B- ride. Buttery smooth singletrack that winds its way up and down through cactus gardens. Sweeping views of the mountains in all directions. No sustained climbs. This trail is very new. The oldest section is just 2 years old, while the newest section is just a couple weeks old! It's fairly winding. So if you have a bike that turns really nice, bring that. This is an out and back ride. So it can be as long (30 miles), or as short, as you like. The trail is really fun in either direction. And the scenery is awesome. I would NOT say this is a C ride. But it's not a full on B ride either.
    Trail maps: http://www.aztrail-build.org/trail.html Plan is to start the ride at the point where the trail crosses Pistol Hill Road, go north, then double back and head south.
    Meeting location/time: Meet 9AM at Montgomery’s Grill and Saloon (13190 E Colossal Cave Rd, Vail, AZ 85641). We will then caravan together to the trailhead.
    Directions to meeting location: Go east on I-10. Go all the way through Tucson, to exit #279. Turn left, and go over the freeway. Drive 1.4 miles to the "Old Vail Station" shopping center, on the right side of the road. There is a big dirt parking lot, in front of "Montgomery's Grill and Saloon". That's the meeting spot. (This will also be the place for post-ride beer and food). From there, it's a 7 mile drive to the trailhead. Expect the drive to take approx. 2 hours from the South Mountain area in Phoenix.

Friday, March 16: Phoenix – South Mountain Park
    Pick a ride and be ON TIME for listed departure!!

A: Geronimo (Tiggerider, bugaroo) 7:15AM: Up National to Buena Vista (BV), down Geronimo, up Mormon (or road), down National
    A: Holbert (mzzm, mtbikeTodd) 7:30AM: Up National to BV continue on National to Holbert, down Holbert, up Geronimo (or Mormon or road), down National
    A: Telegraph (Dirtbag, Micky) 7:30AM: Up Mormon to BV, continue on National to Telegraph, return on Desert Classic to Goat to the Helipad, then Desert Classic to Secret trails with final return on Desert Classic.

B: Javalina/Mormon/National (Yuri, mintbiker) 7:30AM: Up fireroad to power lines, turn right onto Beverly Canyon and ride down Beverly Canyon by the apartments to the 46th St entrance. Up Javalina, then up Mormon to the Waterfall. Return via Mormon or National.
    B: Corona Loma (Durtgurl, Epicrider) 7:35AM: Up National to Buena Vista to Corona Loma, back Secret Trails to Desert Classic.
    B: Mormon/National/Javalina (MikeyAZ, dirtrodr) 7:45: Up National to BV to Holbert. Drop to road, back up road to BV, return via National or Mormon. Add in Javalina on the way down if group still has energy.
    B: National/Mormon (ScottN, A.P.B.) 8:00AM: Up National to BV, down Mormon.

C rides (PaulB, NoelG, Kaboose, Solorider) 8:00AM: Desert Classic stroll, Pima Canyon loops + Desert Classic

Ride time: Meet @ 7AM under the Ramada closest to the bathroom to split up into ride groups. Ride departures between 7:15 and 8AM.
    Meeting place: Pima Canyon/48th St entrance at the east end of the park.
    Directions from the north: From Baseline Rd., turn south on 48th St. Continue thru two stop signs. At round-robin, take second road. Continue thru a stoplight. Turn right at first road after the stoplight and make an immediate left at South Mountain Park sign. Parking area at end of this road fills up fast. Parking along the road is allowed.
    Directions from south or east: Take I-10 to Elliot and head west (towards mountain!) to 48th street. Turn north (right) onto S. 48th St. Continue thru the stoplight at Piedmont. Take the 3rd left after light at Piedmont (will actually be following S. 48th St). Take an immediate left turn into the park. Parking area at end of this road fills up fast. Parking along the road is allowed.

Trail maps: http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...album=54&pos=7
    http://www.ci.phoenix.az.us/PARKS/hikesoth.html)

Don’t forget the Friday night SoMo party (see details below)

Saturday, March 17: Sedona
    Six rides to choose from: 1 A ride, 3 B rides, 1 C ride, and 1 Nite ride (see below)!!!

Trail map: http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...album=56&pos=0
    Can also buy excellent maps at any AZ bike shop for Sedona area trails.

Bike & Bean Pizza and Beer Fest begins at 12:00noon
    Location: Bike & Bean is at the far north side of the Village on the left-hand (west) side of 179
    Parking: Please do not park at the bike shop unless you are parking your bike. Park at the IGA and ride your bike to the Bean.
    $$$: Pizza sign-ups and monies will be collected Fri nite and prior to all rides, $10 per person. If you don’t sign up, don’t eat pizza.

Sedona A: Schnebly Hill Road
    Ride Leader: Andres from the SoCal OTB group
    Meet at 8:44am, Ride departs at 9:00am promptly
    Starting location: Schnebly Hill Parking area, just before road goes from paved to dirt
    Directions: Take 179 into Sedona, turn right onto Schnebly Rd and head up the hill. Parking area will be on your left just before road turns to dirt. From 79, Schnebly Rd turnoff is just after the big iron horse sculpture on the right and just before 179 crosses Oak Creek and ends at 89A. $5 Red Rock pass available at parking area.
    Route: 25-35 miles, depending on flats, technicals, and other factors. Trails to include Munds wagon (out and back), Huckaby trail, Jim Thompson, Jordan, Soldier Pass, Tea cup, Sugarloaf challenge, Thunder Mountain, Secret trails.

ALL B and C rides meet at IGA. Plan to arrive with enough time to prepare for departure of your chosen ride!!!
    NOTE: There is mega construction on route 179 thru the Village of Oak Creek. From the IGA, we will be leading you thru the back roads of the Village to get you to and from the trailheads and Bike & Bean. Riding on 179 is not recommended!!!
    Directions to IGA: 179 to the Village. Turn left at the second light onto Verde Valley Rd. IGA will be on your right.

Sedona B1: Mega Loop Clockwise
    Ride Leaders: Epicrider (Dale) and Durtgurl (Kathleen)
    Ride departs @ 8:30am
    Suggested Route: 25ish miles. Warm-up spin on Verde Valley Rd to Baldwin (& Carol Canyon?) to Buddha Beach then Templeton. Across 179 to Bell Rock Pathway, thru the hood, then down Mystic. Broken Arrow to Sub Rock then Chicken Point. Down Little Horse to Llama and back on the Pathway.

Sedona B2: Templeton/Cathedral/Broken Arrow/Llama
    Ride Leaders: MikeyAZ, BrianC, and Shadowrider(?)
    Ride departs @ 8:45am
    Suggested Route: Pathway to Templeton Trail and down to Buddha Beach. Double back to the Cathedral Rock trail head, cross hwy 179 and ride across Chapel Trail to Chicken Point. Broken Arrow and Sub Rock… back to Chicken Point and return on Llama then the Pathway.

Sedona B3: Llama/Broken Arrow/Templeton/Cathedral
    Ride Leaders: Zul (Jeff – Sedona organizer) and Pelon
    Ride departs @ 9:00am
    Suggested Route: Pathway to Llama, then Chicken Point. Broken Arrow & Sub Rock. Back to Chicken Point down Little Horse, cross 179 to Cathedral Trail Head, down to Buddha Beach. Double back across Cathedral OR take Verde Valley School Rd if yer outta gas.

Sedona C: Bell Rock Trail Head
    Ride Leaders: PaulB and Solorider (Sean)
    Ride departs @ 9:00am
    Suggested Route: There are some very sweet loops on the south side of Bell Rock that are perfect for cruising, relaxing, and enjoying the scenery. 2-4 hours of riding, depending on the groups. Lots of bailout options.

Sedona Sunset Ride
    Ride Leader: Zul (Jeff)
    Sunset/Night Ride will depart from the bike shop around 6:00pm. This will be an easy stretch-your-legs, smell-the-flowers, enjoy-the-sunset ride. Bring your lights!

Don’t forget the Saturday night Sedona party at Bike&Bean (see details below)

Sunday, March 16: Prescott
    Ride Leader: Prescott local Dave (ionsmuse).
    Meet at 10AM, aim to be riding by 10:20ish
    From Dave: “Meet at 10am in the back parking lot for the China Buffet restaurant, near Costco off 69, east of Prescott proper. I'll have maps in Sedona on Saturday. Aim to be riding by 1020ish. We'll ride trail 305 out, a fun and varied 8 miles of singletrack. Around 1100' of climbing total, lots of up and down. For the return we'll take the obscure moto trail on the other side of the road - more technical, more climbing, more descending. The full deal will equal out to between 18-20 miles. The virtue of this ride is the many options it provides. A paved highway parallels both trails and provides quick and easy access back to the cars. Thus, show up and ride as much or as little as you like. We'll go at a friendly pace, and try to sate all appetites.”
    Directions to meeting location: Take highway 69 west towards Prescott. A few miles outside of downtown, look for Costco on the left. Turn left at the first light after Costco, onto Walker road. Go straight for a block, then straight through a stop sign. Take the next left, then left again immediately into the "back" lot for the China Buffet restaurant. Park as close to the back as possible. This lot holds more cars than the trailhead, but we'll try to stay out of the restaurants way as much as possible.

Prescott area trail maps @ http://www.sharlot.org/archives/maps/trailmaps/

Sunday, March 16: Prescott B+ Ride – Granite Basin
    Ride Leader: Prescott local Jayem (James)
    Meeting time/location: 10AM @ Little Granite Mountain Trailhead (This trailhead is NOT in Granite Basin).
    Ride description: Start up trail 37 to 40, descend into the basin, take 351 across to 348 and down into Mint Wash on 352 (another fun descent). Take Mint Wash (345) to 347, then back up to the top. Depending on conditions, we could do a loop out on 341/347, then continue to 349 to the OHV area, take the OHV area back to trail 37. There are a few fun descents to be had, and lots of mileage. The significant climbs are up 37, and up the OHV area. Other climbs are relatively tame and gentle, but this ride gets in a lot of miles. Count on 20-30 depending on the exact route, dictated by conditions and how people are feeling. Ride will probably take 3-4 hours with a group of A-B riders. Consider this to be a B+ ride. A "B" rider who is feeling strong should be able to hang on this ride. "A" riders that are feeling dead should be able to also hang on the ride. It's fun and there are some good payoffs. Full suspension helps a lot on a few of the descents, but there isn't any super-tech, just some mild technical on 40, 351, and 345 and a couple other small spots.
    Directions: Take Highway 69 (west bound) to Prescott. In Prescott, take Sheldon Street (Highway 89) to Montezuma. Turn right at stop light at Montezuma and follow road for 3 miles. Montezuma turns into Whipple Street, then into Iron Springs Road. Trailhead is on Iron Springs Road, on the right side, about 3 miles or so past the Granite Basin turnoff, and also past the Alto OHV area turnoff.

area trail maps @ http://www.sharlot.org/archives/maps/trailmaps/

Sunday, March 16: Phoenix – Phoenix Mountain Preserve (T100 etc)
    B and C rides to be led by locals (Dirdir, Solorider, Epicrider, Doode, NMPhi776, PaulB, Kapoose). Routes to be determined on the fly, by the ride leaders
    Be ready to ride @ 8AM at Dreamy Draw Parking area
    Directions to trailhead: From route 51, exit at Northern Ave. Turn east on Northern into park. Hopefully we’ll all fit into the gravel parking area just prior to paved parking area.

Trail map: http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...album=54&pos=4

Sunday, March 16: Phoenix – Goat Camp at White Tank Regional Park
    Ride Leaders: SuLing, AKA MonkeyButt, dirtrodr, dirtbag, and maybe Hemilech
    Rides: A (full loop, with all the DH splendor) & B (out-and-back) rides. Goat Camp is a “new” favorite of Phx folks – this is your chance to see what all the fuss is about! Please note that neither ride is for the weak, weary, or timid. Be sure to have your game on if you show up for these rides and bring your armor if you’re doing the full loop. Ride length can vary depending on mechanicals and riders' abilities. Anywhere from 3.5 to 5 or more hours. See SuLing’s ride description below.
    Ride Time: FIP 8AM
    Staging Area: White Tanks Regional Mtn Park (Far West Valley). Bring $5 per carload for entrance into the park. After guard shack continue into park. Take first left (Black Canyon Dr) and park by restrooms.
    Directions: From Phx take I-10 west towards Buckeye. Exit on AZ 303 and go north approx. 7 miles to Olive. Turn left (west) on Olive Ave which will take you directly into the park.
    What you need: 100 oz of water minimum, trail snacks, gu or whatever you need to keep up your strength. An extra derailleur hanger if you have one, basic trail maintenance tools and tubes. Slimed tubes and tubeless are also highly recommended. Armor for the DH section (if applicable).

More detailed ride description from SuLing:
    Goat Camp DH is one of the most technical downhill rides in the Phoenix area that drops 1600' in it's last three miles. Riders will have 2800' of climbing over some of the best singletrack in the valley before you get to this diabolic DH. Want to skip the gnarl but still have a great ride? You can do an out and back version. At a pre-determined point just before the DH, part of the group will return the way we came. Either way, this is a more advanced ride and not for the weak, weary or timid.
    From the parking area we will be warming up on the road to get to the trailhead. True trail begins on the flats with Ford Canyon to Waddell to the base of climbs. Here we take Mesquite Canyon, Willow Canyon, Ford Canyon to Goat Camp DH. Once at the base of the initial climb on Mesquite, the trail has a short mild section followed by a short hike-a-bike. Once past this section the singletrack begins with switchback climbs. All rideable. Terrain steadily climbs with flat singletrack transfer sections between climbs. Expect quite a few switchbacks, sections of loose rock and higher speed sections that traverse the mtn side on the climb up. Around mile 11 or 12 (to be determined) near the start of the Goat Camp DH section, riders will have the option to continue on with the DH or turn around for a more XC version (out and back).
    For those continuing on, expect a very technical and rocky downhill with step-offs, tight switchbacks and small off-camber sections. Armor highly recommended as the rocks are exceptionally jagged and very unforgiving. If you can't ride the DH, you can always walk down the nasty sections. Incidents of cuts/bruises and broken helmets are not uncommon but if you are in control, you should be fine. Doing the DH section will drop you back at your vehicle at the Staging Area. Ride is approximately 16 miles in length with this version.
    The XC ride back is returning the way we came up with ear-to-ear grinning high speed singletrack decents that are just as fun as the GC DH section but without the nasties. You will be doing more miles this way and once down we will return to the Staging area by road. This version is approx 20 miles. Either way, this ride will challenge you but you will end up with a smile on your face.

Trail map: http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...album=54&pos=1

Ride Categories
    “A” - Advanced rides will be both physically and technically demanding. If you're not at the top of your game, we strongly recommend joining an intermediate ride. If you ARE at the top of your game and long for the challenge, consider joining these advanced rides.
    “B” - Intermediate rides. Will be a good mix of climbing and descending, will be at a moderate pace, but will still social.
    “C” - Easy rides. Relaxed pace, short distances, no lung-busting climbs and no dangerous descents. The pace will be friendly, the emphasis on enjoying the scenery and riding your bike in a non-competitive environment.

Friday Night: The SoMo Fling Party!
    When: Friday 5-10PM
    Where: Big Ramada in South Moutain Park
    Directions: Get to Central Avenue in Phoenix and head south into South Mountain Park. Party is to be held at BIG RAMADA this year (different from past years!). After you enter the park, take the 1st right after the 2nd middle-of-the-road guard shack and go to top of hill. There is a small sign prior to the turn.
    Party starts at 5 p.m. and we need to be out by 10 p.m.
    * PARTY FOOD - Although we hope to provide some snacks, dinner is BYO style. We will have grills fired up, and will supply plates, utensils, condiments, water, and soda. Bring your appetite, but don't forget to stop by the grocery store!
    * PARTY BEER – Kegs from local breweries and/or MTBR beer makers will be provided.
    * GLASS BOTTLES are not allowed at the picnic area, subject to fines from the park authorities.
    * Be looking for the Spring Fling tip jar and feel free to donate generously to offset cost of supplies!

Saturday Sedona Beer & Pizza Fest: Sponsored by Bike & Bean.
    Beer (free! donated by Bike&Bean) & pizza (not free – will collect $10/person in the AM).
    Time: 12:00Noon - ??
    Location: Bike & Bean is at the far north side of the Village on the left-hand (west) side of 179
    Parking: Please do not park at the bike shop unless you are parking your bike. Park at the IGA and ride your bike to the Bean.

**Many thanks to Zul (Jeff Dana) for taking charge of Sedona planning and to Bike & Bean for hosting the party**

Water: Bring a 100oz bladder at a minimum. Bottles with Gatorade or something similar for each ride are recommended. Pre-hydrate as much as possible.
    First aid: pack a straight plastic comb and/or needle-nose pliers for cactus in addition to your usual first-aid kit.
    Your health insurance card, ID, & ICE (in case of emergency) information should be carried with you at all times.
    Sunscreen: Lube yourself up every single day, rain or shine.
    Body armor: The terrain is unforgiving - cactus and rocks will send you home with more than memories if you fall.

Where can I rent a bike? Where can I service my bike if needed?
    South Mountain Cycles @ 3636 E Ray Road, just east of Fry's (480-706-0858, http://smcycles.com/index.cfm) - no rentals at SMC, but it's a great shop for repairs and supplies.
    Cactus Bikes @ SWcorner of Elliot & 48th (480-940-7433, http://www.cactusbikes.com/store/control/main)
    Rage Cycles @ 2724 Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale (480-968-8116, http://www.ragecycles.com/)
    Bike&Bean in Sedona @ 6020 Highway 179 Sedona, AZ 86351
    (928-284-0210, http://www.bike-bean.com/links.htm)

Your AZ Trail Guides
    Thanks to the over 35 locals (and even non-locals) who have volunteered to help lead rides!
    Last edited by DurtGurl; 03-13-2007 at 09:18 AM.

No, that's not phonetic
    ShortBusJames has room for 12 people from Phx area, so make your reservations ASAP (respond to this post or send me a PM)!!
    Super job. PM sent. Sign me and Barny up (for the shuttle up the hill from LeBuzz)!
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Living the Dream

Phillip, you're gonna Love Milagrosa

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Super job. PM sent. Sign me and Barny up (for the shuttle up the hill from LeBuzz)!

The scenery is amazing and the ride is relentless. Let me know what you think of the chutes at the bottom--they are after the gate near the end. Have a good trip!
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Medium?

I'm in! A question and free Phoenix Camping

To where can I ship my bike? I'm flying in on Thursday, so I'd like to get it around noon if possible.

Edit: I called Cactus Bikes, no problem.

I have a house in Surprise that's open to anyone for primitive camping Thursday through Sunday night. We have to be out by 7am or so on Monday am. There's no furniture other than what we can get free from Craigslist on the way there and no power as of right now.

Edit: Power and gas will be on! Lights and showers!!!
    Last edited by Fast Eddy; 03-09-2007 at 03:09 PM.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    To where can I ship my bike? I'm flying in on Thursday, so I'd like to get it around noon if possible.

Edit: I called Cactus Bikes, no problem.

I have a house in Surprise that's open to anyone for primitive camping Thursday through Sunday night. We have to be out by 7am or so on Monday am. There's no furniture other than what we can get free from Craigslist on the way there and no power as of right now.
    Cool beans.. I was going to suggest Cactus Bikes but looks like you got it figured out. See you on Friday!

BTW, two doors west of Cactus Bikes in the Safeway plaza is a killer little Mexican dive (Las Taquitas) with excellent breakfast burritos. I also highly recomment their "Arizona burrito" !

Kathleen in AZ
    Just added lots of updates to the mega post above, including but not limited to:

*** Sedona rides and party details
    *** New Prescott ride added for Sunday - Granite Basin area led by Jayem
    *** Goat Camp is on for Sunday
    *** Ride leaders added (note that "leaders" = leaders AND sweepers. Yes, you can lead from the back of the pack). Check your name to make sure you're ok with your designated ride or rides. Please PM me if changes are required.

Tomorrow (or this weekend) I will be adding maps to this thread for those not on the Yahoogroups list.

When will all this planning end??? I just want to ride!!!
    -Kathleen

Saucy Size Moderator
    Just heard on the radio that we're going to be hitting the 90s next week. This may be one of our warmer Spring Flings.

Please, please be careful about your hydration and sun protection. We've had several heat-related emergencies in the past and I'd hate to see someone get in a bad way when they're out there.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Kathleen in AZ

Wed Hawes Ride Maps

Attached Images Attached Images

Kathleen in AZ

Thurs La Milagrosa Maps

Kathleen in AZ

Fri SoMo Maps

Kathleen in AZ

Sat Sedona Maps

I only have maps for the B and C rides.....
    Last edited by DurtGurl; 03-12-2007 at 07:39 PM.

Kathleen in AZ

New updated SoMo Maps!

Thanks to Epicrider Dale for his new maps. WOW~! These are the best I've ever seen for South Mountain.

Endurance Junkie

look'in to catch a ride

Would like to find someone to catch a ride to Sedona with for spring fling .Would hope to go up some time on friday, off work at noon don't need to be back till sunday or monday which ever would work . I live in Tucson can split all cost .If you are doing milli on thursday I'll be there, we could see if we gel.Would prefer to camp, does anybody know if there are groups of people camping fri/sat at a certain place in Sedona?
    Last edited by bikes4max; 03-10-2007 at 01:44 PM.

Kathleen in AZ

Sun Goat Camp Map

Kathleen in AZ

Sunday Phx Mtn Preserve (T100 etc) Maps

Ouch, I am hot!
    Looks like it will be highs in the low 90's in the Phoenix area. I remember a few years ago a dude asked what to bring and someone replied a water tanker.
    Last edited by Dirdir; 03-12-2007 at 08:48 AM.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast