Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Shovel Ready

AZ Specialized Enduro riders.

If you use granny is there much pedal feedback? Overall impressions of the bike for SOMO and PMP?

Edit: By feedback I mean kickback. Not pedal bob. I also do not own an Enduro. It's on my short list along with a Nomad.
    Last edited by Cycle64; 06-18-2011 at 11:47 PM.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    If you use granny is there much pedal feedback? Overall impressions of the bike for SOMO and PMP?
    What's a granny?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    What's a granny?
    2. v. To throw an object by holding it in both hands and pitching it underhand, generally while bending the knees. Used often when referring to a style of throwing a basketball for those too weak or innacurate to make it to the hoop.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Horst link bikes (I have one currently and have had quite a few) will pedal better in the granny gear as far as squat is concerned (tendancy of the rear to compress as you pedal up steep inclines). They still do this though and are nowhere near the anti-squat of a DW link bike. Pedaling uphill on a horst link bike in middle ring is especially frustrating due to this, but granny is a bit better. Most people would equate this with "more" pedal feedback, although horst link bikes won't have 100% anti-squat and some bikes (some other dual link designs, some high single pivots) have more than 100% anti-squat, which is where pedal feedback usually comes in. 100% is kind of the "neutral" point where pedaling forces are offset by suspension anti-squat forces. The "excessive" anti-squat can be especially a pain when trying to climb real technical terrain where you need to have maximum traction, whereas on a downhill it's not nearly as bad. Traditionally, this is the way it is with high pivot single pivot bikes equipped with granny gears.

Also traditionally, horst link bikes have weak anti-squat in the middle ring going uphill, pretty good on level slopes, ok anti-squat in the granny uphill (but not great IME), usually a good progressive suspension curve, lots of traction uphill, very active suspension overall, and poor performance on square-edged bumps.

Higher pivot single pivot bikes usually have more anti-squat, less traction uphill due to it being excessive usually, better square-edged bump performance, less suspension activeness, and the progression curve depends on if it has a linkage or not usually.

Lower pivot single pivot bikes usually are more active, with less anti-squat than the higher single pivot, more uphill traction than the higher pivot, poorer square-edged bump performance again, and generally a lot of "in between" the high SP and low SP.

Mini-link/parallel-link (generic terms) frames can mirror ANY of these bikes and also allow things that are not possible with any of them, bringing together several desireable traits that allow you to "have your cake and eat it too". You can have decent square edged bump performance with great activeness and anti-squat (pedaling). Not all of these bikes are equal, so it depends on the exact bike/design, but they are a step ahead in my riding experience.
    Last edited by Jayem; 06-17-2011 at 07:27 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    In addition to what Jayem posted- on any bike, having sound pedaling technique will help minimize bob. Spinning the pedals in near perfect circles, with power distributed as equal as possible through the entire 360 degrees of stroke puts less stress on the suspension and helps with traction. That makes a case for clip in shoes, but a good pedal "spin" can be done with flats.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

Meatbomb
    WTF did Jayem say ???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    WTF did Jayem say ???
    What I got out of it was "get yourself a Singlespeed so you don't have to worry about any of this ****."
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Now that your master's degree in bicycle suspension has been written ...

I had a '10 (new design) Enduro. Very nice bike. I've had several Horst bikes and the newer Enduro was arguably the best of them as far as pedalling is concerned. The newer Enduro's feel very slack and it's a big-feeling bike, particularly in wheelbase.

Very, very low bottom bracket, though, which is a deal-killer for me on our terrain here.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Now that your master's degree in bicycle suspension has been written ...

I had a '10 (new design) Enduro. Very nice bike. I've had several Horst bikes and the newer Enduro was arguably the best of them as far as pedalling is concerned. The newer Enduro's feel very slack and it's a big-feeling bike, particularly in wheelbase.

Very, very low bottom bracket, though, which is a deal-killer for me on our terrain here.

That's higher or on par with many frame listings. Just a few listings.

Enduro
    BB
    350 millimeter = 13.779 527 559 inch

IBIS Mojo HD160
    BB
    352 millimeter = 13.858 267 717 inch

Nomad
    BB 14.0

EL Guapo
    BB

Chilcotin
    BB
    350 millimeter = 13.779 527 559 inch

mtbr member
    You could go with an EG for cheap and if you're worried about HA, you could always put an angleset on it. You already have the perfect fork for it.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz View Post
    You could go with an EG for cheap and if you're worried about HA, you could always put an angleset on it. You already have the perfect fork for it.
    No angleset for tapered at this time. But the EG is crossing my view since we spoke. So is the Nomad. But I can't seem to find the shock size on it. Edit: Found it 8.5x2.5.

PS: Let me know if you want to ride somewhere this weekend. Painter here in the morning Sat. But I'm game for a late day.
    Last edited by Cycle64; 06-17-2011 at 07:38 PM.

mtbr member
    What I got out of it was "get yourself a Singlespeed so you don't have to worry about any of this ****."

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I ride a HL Enduro, and I have very little legs so most all of my climbing is in granny , ( generally granny 3-4 or 5 ) granny 2-3 all the way up Bees Knees .

There is no pedal feed back felt at all , I ride somo alot and climb up natty in granny 3 -4.

I ride this bike everywhere and it works very well , alittle heavy for XC but it works ok there as well.

Shovel Ready

You ride one. So no way will I ever! As will I never drive a Prius.

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    WTF did Jayem say ???
    I tried to read it when I woke up from my afternoon nap and it gave me a headache. Was too much info to process
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

dirt visionary
    I have owned an older enduro 06 and ride my sxtrail everywhere. I don't feel any pedal feedback while climbing in granny. however I feel the pedal feedback on my jedi and it is an odd feeling having my pedals move when I dont want them to because of suspension action.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Pedal feedback in granny is my only complaint about the Rune. It is a weird feeling having the pedal kick back at you.

Dirt is Fun
    Apr 2011
    Dunno...have ridden Enduros and other horst link bikes like Norco North Shores. Never felt any pedal feedback, kickback, or whatever back in climbing or any other form of pedaling. Pretty plush suspension that makes you want to just go out and rip the GNAR on it. Sure MR. Hill doesn't feel any kick back on his horst link beast either.

suvlako
    Own what used to be Blatant's enduro and it climbs like a goat. I never get that feedback(which I would refer to as "pedal bob"). If you are, it sounds like you can be a little light on air in your shock. Be sure to add air with your " pro pedal" on.

mtbr member
    Look into warranties. Everything WILL break...

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by berzerker View Post
    Look into warranties. Everything WILL break...
    Even Kali pads in a month. Wish I knew someone at Trek. Maybe they could fine a Remedy or Scratch frame for me.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    hey guys,, ive made it quite clear that my 16 year old trek Y-bike will NOT be used for AZ trail riding (unless someone wants to rebuild it into a SS FS for hire).
    i see that DNA cycles has the enduro SL expert on closeout for over $1000 off
    http://dnacycles.com/product/special...rt-59613-1.htm

except for 1 hawes and 1 somo ride in the past 14 months, i've only known relatively flat forest (600'-700' MSL) all my life.
    My riding style: i'm not into super tech, drops, or air, but i still want something that can handle those if if inadvertently encounter them. i also have an acquired habit of standing up on 90% of the ride, something i will need to unlearn here if i want to make it up the climbs without spinning out the back tir

can i get any comments for or against plopping down 3 grand on one of these next weekend?
    Last edited by longhairmike; 06-20-2011 at 10:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Mike- I'll be honest, if you are looking ofr some high zoot machinery- I think you will like that bike. But as far as a bike for "in case" you hit some tech while on your XC ride, just about any bike will do. I ride a SSHT 29 w/ an 80mm fork. I can pretty much hit 90% of anything most trails out here dish out short of something like NRA (true dirt jumping), and I could probably do that too, but my skill would run out before my bike would! Your old bike needs retired to grocery getter though, I will say that!

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Pedaling uphill on a horst link bike in middle ring is especially frustrating due to this, but granny is a bit better.
    I think you're just weak. Never a problem climbing w/ my Quasi, always in the middle ring. I also think _dw will get a torsion injury if you keep swinging so hard from his jewels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Mike , I'm on for the fossil ride and after party @ Hero's or the Monestary !!(your new local Pub)!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AZ Specialized Enduro riders.-img_2059.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast