mtbr member
    Feb 2006

AZ riding help....headin down from CO

all

thanks in advance for any info.

Heading out for 8 days on the bike on a solo camping mission. Leaving the mtns of CO and hitting up the Cortez zone for a day before heading further west.

few questions.....is there enough kick-ass trails in the flagstaff/sedona area to ride there for a week??? Is it worth stopping at Gallup for a ride/camp mission???

Best camping zone in flag/sedona area.....yet close enough to civilization if I'm feeling some company or a brewery???

Thanks y'all.

My other ride is your mom
    When are you planning on riding Flagstaff?

To answer your questions....there are plenty of kick-ass trails in the flagstaff/sedona area to ride for a week....I'd personally stop at Gallup for a ride just because I've heard good things.

For camping in the flag area....depending on when you plan on being here....Schultz Pass is a good place to access some trails and be close to civ.

im4Gsus
    check the sticky at the top of the Az forum page.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    thanks boys...will dive into the sticky.

Leaving CO on the 14th....need to be in Vegas on the 22nd!

I know here at 9,000'.....fall is in the air and warm clothes are needed in the morning and evening these days. Will camping on Schultz Pass be cold weather riding this time of year......looking to get my desert on before the snow starts to fly here!

thanks again

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Holy ****.....thats a ton of info in the sticky!

nevermind any riding recommendations....I can figure that out....looks like which rides to choose will be the main issue.

I guess my main question will pertain to camping. Schultz Pass looks great....as long as its not too cold up there. I have frost on the windsheild 8 months a year here....I don't need that ****........

seriously....thanks all for providing te sticky info for us out o towners....

mtbr member
    There's some Gallup info in this thread: singletrack around Gallup?

The High Desert Mesa trail is totally worthy. I prefer to ride it from the west end. The TH is just minutes off the interstate. The camping is better southeast of town in the Zuni Mtns which also harbors a fine network of fast and flowy trails.

It's starting to get chilly at night in Flag but cold weather riding is still months away. Sedona is finally cooling off with highs in the 80s.

Hitting Phils World in Cortez?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks Rockman!

Yep...spending my first day in the Fruita area (although I ride here all the time); heading down to Cortez for Phil's...haven't rode that yet. I've done a good number of trails in the Durango area....but again, looking for more of a desert sweat than 35 degrees at 10am ride. SO Fruita, Phils Worlds....then just not sure.

Was debating the moab to Hurricane route but I've done most rides in moab already and a few in the st george area....and wanted to head someplace new....which led me to my original post.

Thinking over to Gallup for the day....then on to Flag area for 4-5 days before the sin city nonsense begins. I can sleep in the back of the truck until I get to Flag/Sedona area...then it would be nice to set up camp for a few days......

Thanks again for the info.

mtbr member
    It's been a while since I was there, but I did some really nice camping right off Shnebly hill road. Its a rough dirt road that runs from Sedona up to I-17, and you can camp all along it, right on the red rock if you want. I spent the night with some rainbow children there, but I digress. You would be close to town.
    For a more "official" campground, there are a few in oak creek canyon, also a pretty close drive to town.

Edit: both suggestions are lower elevation (warmer!), than Shultz pass or camping nearer to flagstaff.
    Since I am a fellow coloradoan, I know that you will be getting plenty of cold weather soon enough, so I would be looking at more deserty areas. Flag looks a lot like a Colorado town anyway, pine trees and hippies
    Last edited by smilinsteve; 09-07-2010 at 04:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    One in Sedona claimed there are 135 trails there. Flagstaff will keep you busy for 3+ days, easily.
    I like Sand Canyon in Cortez, a CO favorite.
    The rez looks inviting with all the slickrock but don't ride it without hiring a native indian guide.
    agmtb

Chunky Monkey

Gallup

There's some Gallup info in this thread: singletrack around Gallup?

The High Desert Mesa trail is totally worthy. I prefer to ride it from the west end. The TH is just minutes off the interstate. The camping is better southeast of town in the Zuni Mtns which also harbors a fine network of fast and flowy trails.

Rockman is absolutely right!

High Desert, will work you, scenic, slickrock and on and on.

Leaving Gallup to Zuni is like an whole other world. Hit Gallup, you will not regret it. No bike shop anymore so be prepared.

Good grub, great people.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...0_4565crx.aspx

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...0_4565crx.aspx

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...7_4565crx.aspx

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...6_4565crx.aspx

Thx,
    John
    Lurkers Unite! Never mind....

mtbr member
    I don't know about Gallup, but Alien Run in Aztec is really nice, and only about a half an hour from Durango. Then, just south of there is the whoops trail right in Farmington, which is pretty fun too.

EDR
    Since you'll be in the Fruita area I suggest Holy Cross and similar trails in Grand Junction instead...if you haven't already ridden them. More fun/techy kinda stuff.

As far as camping in Flag, I don't think it will be too cold at all yet. If you head up about 4 miles or so up Shultz Creek rd. open campfires are permitted and you are right next to great trails and only minutes from town if you need anything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    It's been a while since I was there, but I did some really nice camping right off Shnebly hill road. Its a rough dirt road that runs from Sedona up to I-17, and you can camp all along it, right on the red rock if you want. I spent the night with some rainbow children there, but I digress. You would be close to town.
    For a more "official" campground, there are a few in oak creek canyon, also a pretty close drive to town.

Edit: both suggestions are lower elevation (warmer!), than Shultz pass or camping nearer to flagstaff.
    Since I am a fellow coloradoan, I know that you will be getting plenty of cold weather soon enough, so I would be looking at more deserty areas. Flag looks a lot like a Colorado town anyway, pine trees and hippies
    Technically you are not supposed to camp on Schnebly until you hit the top of the rim. You also don't have to pay the day fee up there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks again all for the info...seems like i have my camping pretty dailed and my 20-30 mile rides dailed expect for the sedona area....seems like I would have to ride 30 trails to get that milage in.......which is kick-ass unless you have no clue where your going......traildoc posted this in another thread.....should I follow....???

The new Aerie trail should be one of the trails you try. I would ride Lost Watch to Touron to Chuckwagon to Deadman's to Aerie to the Aerie Redrock Parking Lot to the Cockscomb Extensin trail to Cockscomb to Dawa to OK to Az Cypress to Anaconda to Girdner to Lost Watch. That is definitely one of the best 3 1/2 hour advanced intermediate loops in Sedona right now.

I'll be riding Phils world on thurs., gallup area on fri and sat, sedona/flag area on sun, mon and tues........looking forward to riding different zones!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the trails tips guys, I am coming out to ride Flag and Sedona in early October....

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pascoe
    Thanks again all for the info...seems like i have my camping pretty dailed and my 20-30 mile rides dailed expect for the sedona area....seems like I would have to ride 30 trails to get that milage in.......which is kick-ass unless you have no clue where your going......traildoc posted this in another thread.....should I follow....???

The new Aerie trail should be one of the trails you try. I would ride Lost Watch to Touron to Chuckwagon to Deadman's to Aerie to the Aerie Redrock Parking Lot to the Cockscomb Extensin trail to Cockscomb to Dawa to OK to Az Cypress to Anaconda to Girdner to Lost Watch. That is definitely one of the best 3 1/2 hour advanced intermediate loops in Sedona right now.

I'll be riding Phils world on thurs., gallup area on fri and sat, sedona/flag area on sun, mon and tues........looking forward to riding different zones!
    pascoe:

Sounds like you are a good rider so you might replace Deadman's with Mescal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH_Bt-afOag

If you wnt something more in your face techy you can step it up with Ledge'n'Airy it starts at the intersection of 89A and Upper Red Rock Loop Road in West Sedona:

http://vimeo.com/14373288

Give me a PM when you are in Sedona and maybe I could show you a couple rides. I have been invited to participate in a world class water ski event at Lake Powell and am not sure if I will be in Sedona when you might arrive. Will provide a video when I get back.

What is your favorite trail in Moab?

TD

banned

Sedona Information Sheet

I have been working on a Sedona Informatiion Word Document which gives links to several popular trails. See attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by traildoc; 09-14-2010 at 11:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    thanks traildoc. spreadsheet will help.

fav moab trail has to be porcupine....during the week......that **** is too much fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks traildoc, that spreadsheet is great!...and yeah, Porcupine Rim is fun as hell......

I know this is OT, but do any of the locals have any restaurant/dinner recommendations (brewpub/mexican/bbq?) Thanks

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by caravan2001
    Thanks traildoc, that spreadsheet is great!...and yeah, Porcupine Rim is fun as hell......

I know this is OT, but do any of the locals have any restaurant/dinner recommendations (brewpub/mexican/bbq?) Thanks
    Brewpup- Oak Creek Brewery near Basha's Super Market in West Sedona
    Mexican- Elote (High End) Taco Del Mar (Good Low End)
    Bbq- Cowboy Grill (High End) My House (Low End- You Bring Your Own Meat and I BBQ IT)

Got to luv that Porcupine Rim: http://www.vimeo.com/13754049
    Last edited by traildoc; 09-14-2010 at 11:33 AM.