mtbr member
    Nov 2013

AZ mountain Lions

This is disturbing by itself but especially so in light of mountain lions being spotted (that i know of) in Gold Canyon and San Tan.

One man killed, and one fighting for life after cougar attacks bikers¬* | Daily Mail Online

any one here seen one when they ride? I thought i just had to worry about snakes.......

mtbr member
    I saw two Friday morning at BR, they crossed about 10 feet in front of me up a pile of boulders and then they sat there and watched me as i passed by them.

It was on the northside of GM loop right before branding iron in the dark. They appeared to be teenagers, about the size of a dog. i gave no thought about riding away, but after hearing this story it sounds like i was stupid.

Pretty cool sight though.

The .05 percent
    All over the east side of Elden, ie Fat Man's loop, Sandy Seep, Elden lookout trail.
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    These cats are everywhere and they have undoubtedly watched each of us pass by from their lookout spot on many occasions. Don't be alarmed. Attacks are incredibly rare. You have a better chance of being struck by lightning.

R.I.P. to the rider who lost his life in WA.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    cat populations are a bit high right now, support Arizonaís houndsmen. Bighorn sheep are taking a beating.

But yeah, attacks are rare. Show of force is crucial from what I hear. Iíve seen a few, but never a close encounter. I think a good sized trail dog is the best deterrent, as cats are afraid of aggressive dogs.
    Last edited by deerkiller; 05-20-2018 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the cougar population in Scottsdale.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by seandm View Post
    I saw two Friday morning at BR, they crossed about 10 feet in front of me up a pile of boulders and then they sat there and watched me as i passed by them.

It was on the northside of GM loop right before branding iron in the dark. They appeared to be teenagers, about the size of a dog. i gave no thought about riding away, but after hearing this story it sounds like i was stupid.

Pretty cool sight though.
    Mmmm...you sure those werenít bobcats, or even coyotes? Iíd be surprised if there are any mountain lions active in that area of the McDowell Sonoran Preserve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Ha Ha! Good one!
    2015 Pivot Mach 429 Carbon
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Mmmm...you sure those werenít bobcats, or even coyotes? Iíd be surprised if there are any mountain lions active in that area of the McDowell Sonoran Preserve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Definitely not bobcats. I have had bobcats living in my courtyard yearly for the last 11 years. I know a big cat when i see one and the fact that the deer population out here is very large, leads to more mtn lions roaming around rio verde lately.

Definitely not coyotes either.

There are supposedly 10 mtn lions roaming this valley and the mcdowells according to a local expert.

mtbr member
    They had time to use their bikes as shields so I wonder if they had had knives if that would have changed the outcome...

Big cats should be removed or destroyed (preferably the later) in areas close to cities imo since they have no reason to fear us at this point...

We have confirmed jaguar sightings in the state now. Like thats a good thing...

mtbr member
    Them too for feeding on family pets..

mtbr member
    If there are deer and javelina no reason there wouldnt be mountain lions. BR area seems likely enough fairly remote and not that far from the verde river for a water source. Having seen signs of predation on a deer I get the same feeling riding there that I get when riding spur cross...
    Quote Originally Posted by seandm View Post
    Definitely not bobcats. I have had bobcats living in my courtyard yearly for the last 11 years. I know a big cat when i see one and the fact that the deer population out here is very large, leads to more mtn lions roaming around rio verde lately.

Definitely not coyotes either.

There are supposedly 10 mtn lions roaming this valley and the mcdowells according to a local expert.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deerkiller View Post
    cat populations are a bit high right now, support Arizonaís houndsmen. Bighorn sheep are taking a beating.

Mountain lions are no threat to an established bighorn sheep population but habitat loss definitely is.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    They had time to use their bikes as shields so I wonder if they had had knives if that would have changed the outcome...

Big cats should be removed or destroyed (preferably the later) in areas close to cities imo since they have no reason to fear us at this point...

No, take your chances in the outdoors or remove the people.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

But yeah, attacks are rare. Show of force is crucial from what I hear. Iíve seen a few, but never a close encounter. I think a good sized trail dog is the best deterrent, as cats are afraid of aggressive dogs.
    Best advice I've heard on the subject, yet. Take a decent dog with you.

Also agree with supporting your local Houndsmen. I guarantee the cat in WA was caught w/ the help of a local guy and his hounds. Houndsmen, in Washington, are getting very rare, since the hound hunting ban. For 95% of every big cat problem taken care of by the game dept, there's the hound guy doing the real work behind the scenes.
    Last edited by joshtee; 05-20-2018 at 09:55 PM.

mtbr member
    I do take my chances but imagine if it happened to someone close to you.. doubt you'd feel that way. I'd exterminate the entire species to save one human but that's just me might be a little extreme...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    No, take your chances in the outdoors or remove the people.

mtbr member
    I'd exterminate the entire species to save one human but that's just me might be a little extreme...

Just a little, imo.

Top predators (humans aside) have been proven to be very beneficial for the ecosystem, and us humans depend on the ecosystem for our survival.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Bicycles aren't motorized
    I do take my chances but imagine if it happened to someone close to you.. doubt you'd feel that way. I'd exterminate the entire species to save one human but that's just me might be a little extreme...

Dude, one of my good friends got attacked by a bear, he justs says wrong place wrong time. Get real, Exterminate the entire species? You should really rethink that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by me;
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.

mtbr member
    Nope... after that I'd wipe out man eating sharks

Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Dude, one of my good friends got attacked by a bear, he justs says wrong place wrong time. Get real, Exterminate the entire species? You should really rethink that one.

Elitest thrill junkie
    No. Just no. What is wrong with you?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

AZ mountain Lions

One of my friends (Arie) in university got attacked by a black bear as well. The bear attacked a number of people. Story is here: http://www.readersdigest.ca/features...-bear-rampage/. Yes, wrong place, wrong time.

Cougars, Black Bears and Grizzlies are common in the areas we ride. When in those areas, we carry bear spray and bear bangers, but we rarely see any. Iím sure my heavy breathing gives them ample notice.

My 14 year old son and I did come across a grizzly and her cub while fishing in the mountains. We retreated as we were on a small peninsula, and had no other way to leave. We waited them out but they came sauntering by us (about 30 yards away) they looked at us, but had much more interest in finding berries and carried on to the other side of the peninsula. Hereís a picture of the mama. The cub was behind some bushes at that point.

mtbr member
    Weak...
    No. Just no. What is wrong with you?

mtbr member
    Cars kill thousands of times more people than mountain lions, coyotes, wolves, sharks, bears and poisonous snakes combined, should we exterminate the cars?

(actually I'd be in favor of exterminating most of them)
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Cows kill more people than mountain lions do.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Deer kill way more people than mountain lions do. Mountain lions kill deer. Do the math.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Mountain lions are nocturnal this attack appeared to have been in the day. Usually means the animal is sick or rabid.
    Last edited by Crashtestdummee; 05-21-2018 at 10:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashtestdummee View Post
    Mountain lions are nocturnal this attack appeared to have been in the day. Usuusal means the animal is sick or rabid.
    They are mainly nocturnal although active during the day and in twilight conditions as well. No conclusions can be made as to the state of the animal based on the info provided so far.

mtbr member
    My top 5 MTB fears:
    Driving to the trailhead,
    Riding road to link trails,
    Riding beyond my skill level,
    My own bad judgment,
    Other riders with bad judgment.

Cougars don't make the top 50.
    Veni vidi velo!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Not wearing matching shorts and jersey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

So in a perfect world, the entire globe is covered in concrete and they are no other lifeforms besides human beings and the plants we grow to eat?

You'd better watch what you wish for because what you said is just another step toward the end of the animal kingdom. We weren't put here to conquer the wild world or the planet. We are not the "supreme beings". The cats were here first. We intruded on them so show a little respect. If you want to go out in their land, you have to assume some degree of risk.

How many mountain lions have we killed compared to how many of us they have killed?

A little harsh for you? You bet your ass, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Crashtestdummee View Post
    Mountain lions are nocturnal this attack appeared to have been in the day. Usuusal means the animal is sick or rabid.

Diurnal.

mtbr member
    Except we're all kind of hypocrites when it comes to the lifeforms we consume. Kind of a stretch but reminds me when people were upset about dolphin being killed in the process of tuna fishing. No one was upset about the tuna though.

Quote Originally Posted by milesofsmiles View Post
    So in a perfect world, the entire globe is covered in concrete and they are no other lifeforms besides human beings and the plants we grow to eat?

You'd better watch what you wish for because what you said is just another step toward the end of the animal kingdom. We weren't put here to conquer the wild world or the planet. We are not the "supreme beings". The cats were here first. We intruded on them so show a little respect. If you want to go out in their land, you have to assume some degree of risk.

How many mountain lions have we killed compared to how many of us they have killed?

A little harsh for you? You bet your ass, lol!

mtbr member
    A skunk on the trail..
    Not wearing matching shorts and jersey.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Mountain lions are no threat to an established bighorn sheep population but habitat loss definitely is.
    Unfortunately, you are exactly wrong. There are biologists out there monitoring this real time.

Deaths of bighorn sheep in Arizona spark controversy over conservation effort | Fox News

This article was published a couple years back, after mountain lions demolished AZGFD's efforts to improve sheep populations.

Regular, controlled hunting with hounds keeps lion populations healthy, and keeps lions on the run from people so they don't get too aggressive.

I am Walt

AZ mountain Lions

It's the Circle of Life

https://youtu.be/pSwBHh6KoHY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

dirt visionary
    all over pinal mountain. Have encountered two on trail and one lapping rain water out of my camp chair early in the morning. That was scary as hell.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, you are exactly wrong. There are biologists out there monitoring this real time.

Deaths of bighorn sheep in Arizona spark controversy over conservation effort | Fox News

This article was published a couple years back, after mountain lions demolished AZGFD's efforts to improve sheep populations.

Regular, controlled hunting with hounds keeps lion populations healthy, and keeps lions on the run from people so they don't get too aggressive.

I said an established bighorn population, not a few sheep that were helicoptered into a sky island. Bighorn sheep and mountain lions coexisted for thousands of years and there was a healthy population of both of them before the European colonization of the American Southwest.

The Fox article says their population has dropped dramatically over the last 100 years and it isn't because the mountain lion population has increased dramatically during that time. There has been a bounty on lions for 100's of years and during the same period bighorn sheep populations were nearly exterminated.

Hunting pressure from humans hurt the bighorns but habitat loss and fragmentation are mostly responsible for their demise.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I said an established bighorn population, not a few sheep that were helicoptered into a sky island. Bighorn sheep and mountain lions coexisted for thousands of years and there was a healthy population of both of them before the European colonization of the American Southwest.

The Fox article says their population has dropped dramatically over the last 100 years and it isn't because the mountain lion population has increased dramatically during that time. There has been a bounty on lions for 100's of years and during the same period bighorn sheep populations were nearly exterminated.

Hunting pressure from humans hurt the bighorns but habitat loss and fragmentation are mostly responsible for their demise.
    Sorry, bro. Itís mountain lions, not habitat loss on this one. Have you seen a lot of habitat loss on the kofas, Grand Canyon, superstitions, the blue, fossil creek, or G&f units in the northwest part of the state? A lot of where sheep live are wilderness areas. This article mearly documents how lions prey on sheep. A friend of mine keeps a collection of az desert bighorn skulls and carcasses from lion kills, youíd be surprised.

There is minimal hunting pressure on sheep, they kill old rams before they die of natural causes, and never kill ewes. There is no bounty on lions that I am aware of. I donít know where you are getting you information, but you seem to be in denial of the fact that lions kill a lot of sheep.

mtbr member
    OK, why were there a lot more bighorns when there were also a lot more mountain lions 500 years ago? More lions, more sheep, more habitat, less humans. Hmmmm.......

This article mearly documents how lions prey on sheep.

The article basically documents what happens when you feed lions in a zoo. Not a natural situation.

Habitat loss is the obvious enemy of mountain sheep, they are trapped on islands.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    So, to be more specific, there was overhunting in the 1800's by settlers. There has not been overhunting in your or my lifetimes, hunters have created sheep societies to help game and fish improve sheep populations.

Habitat loss in minimal, if any, for bighorn sheep, as most of them live in wilderness areas, or very hard to get places.

What is really killing sheep are two things: Sinus infections, and mountain lions.

Mountain lions we can help with, sinus infections are the difficult ones. I'm not sure where the infections come from, it could have developed from non-native livestock.

There has recently been a scat survey to test the DNA of mountain lion poop. It has been published the the Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society. No surprises that sheep make up a large part of a lion's diet, just behind mule deer, especially in spring months.

There's a lot of reasons why animal populations are what they are here in AZ. I don't really have time, some of them are climatic, like an earthquake a couple hundred years ago cut off a key water supply to the sulfur springs valley, etc, etc.

But the scientific fact of why bighorn sheep have not rebounded in population is because of

1) Sinus infections.

2)mountain lion predation.

Maybe mountain lion predation wouldn't be a big deal if sheep weren't already suffering from sinus infections. But they are, and it's a big deal.

mtbr member
    OK, why were there a lot more bighorns when there were also a lot more mountain lions 500 years ago? More lions, more sheep, more habitat, less humans. Hmmmm.......

Well still no answer for this I see.

I won't convince you and you sure aren't convincing me so it's all a bit pointless. You should thank the lions though, without them you'd have no deer to hunt.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Well still no answer for this I see.

I won't convince you and you sure aren't convincing me so it's all a bit pointless. You should thank the lions though, without them you'd have no deer to hunt.

I answered your question directly, scientifically, and distinctly.

We donít know that there were more lions 500 years ago. What we do know is there is generally less water in az right now than there has been, (which effects populations) and lions and sinus infections are keeping sheep populations down.

You are responding on emotions, and not facts.

mtbr member
    I answered your question directly, scientifically, and distinctly.

We donít know that there were more lions 500 years ago. What we do know is there is generally less water in az right now than there has been, (which effects populations) and lions and sinus infections are keeping sheep populations down.

You are responding on emotions, and not facts.

Scientifically? Well let's see some studies then.

Actually we do know that there were more lions 500 years ago, a lot more. We also know that a few hundred years ago there were millions of bighorn sheep in north america and that they were nearly exterminated due to hunting and competition from ranching.

Bighorn sheep are susceptible to a many diseases, mostly from introduced livestock and also due to habitat fragmentation that forces interbreeding and reduces their genetic diversity. Bighorn sheep need to be able to traverse between ranges.

There is generally less water in Arizona now because of mining, ranching, and a massive human population. It's no coincidence that historically reliable springs and wells started drying up shortly after millions of humans moved in.

Honestly it seems like you might be the one responding to emotions, I could link dozens of respected studies that confirm these facts but they're easy enough to find on your own.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member

Just A Mountain Biker.
    As if I needed another reason to ride with a piece.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    As if I needed another reason to ride with a piece.
    Yeah, you could always throw her at the mountain lion.....

mtbr member
    Not a big fan of dogs either due to encounters over the years with off leash and aggressive dogs barely in control of by their owners ...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.daily...-Oklahoma.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Not a big fan of dogs either due to encounters over the years with off leash and aggressive dogs barely in control of by their owners ...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.daily...-Oklahoma.html
    Apparently you just fear animals, my advice-stay in the house and curl up with a good book. Jeez...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkman999 View Post
    They are mainly nocturnal although active during the day and in twilight conditions as well. No conclusions can be made as to the state of the animal based on the info provided so far.
    I find this statement very interesting from a new article. This attack is very very odd. Daylight attack on humans on moving bikes. Just not the behavior you would see on a nocturnal predator. It had to have been sick or rabid or wonder if it even had got wasting disease from an infected mule deer.

ďAuthorities said on Sunday that the cougar appeared to have been emaciated.
    Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Police Capt Alan Myers said the cougar was about 100 pounds, when a typical three-year-old male in the area would be 140 to 180 pounds.Ē

Read more: PICTURED: The 32-year-old biker who was killed by a starving cougar | Daily Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

kAZ
    mtbr member
    3 weeks ago I saw a small mtn lion on Pass Mtn near the Virginia Lester bench at the NW high point. Just saw it bound across the trail and it was gone. Too big for a house cat. Wrong tail and coloring for a bobcat.

mtbr member
    Well gosh...
    Quote Originally Posted by MessagefromTate View Post
    Apparently you just fear animals, my advice-stay in the house and curl up with a good book. Jeez...

Meatbomb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AZ mountain Lions-img_1559.jpg  

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by kAZ View Post
    3 weeks ago I saw a small mtn lion on Pass Mtn near the Virginia Lester bench at the NW high point. Just saw it bound across the trail and it was gone. Too big for a house cat. Wrong tail and coloring for a bobcat.
    There are a few in the area. I know where a den in a old shaft is and it is less than 150yds off trail. Its practically my back yard and ride/hike/explore the area alot
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Scientifically? Well let's see some studies then.

Actually we do know that there were more lions 500 years ago, a lot more. We also know that a few hundred years ago there were millions of bighorn sheep in north america and that they were nearly exterminated due to hunting and competition from ranching.

Bighorn sheep are susceptible to a many diseases, mostly from introduced livestock and also due to habitat fragmentation that forces interbreeding and reduces their genetic diversity. Bighorn sheep need to be able to traverse between ranges.

There is generally less water in Arizona now because of mining, ranching, and a massive human population. It's no coincidence that historically reliable springs and wells started drying up shortly after millions of humans moved in.

Honestly it seems like you might be the one responding to emotions, I could link dozens of respected studies that confirm these facts but they're easy enough to find on your own.
    https://www.adbss.org/

there's the link to some of the recent studies done on bighorn sheep.

I'd like to see the study that states that there were more lions in arizona, lots more, 500 years ago. there were certainly lots more lions in the US, but in Arizona, maybe a few more, but lots? predator populations naturally ebb and flow, when they get too high, often disease like mange and rabies naturally kill them off.

Arizona's bighorn sheep have been protected from hunting from around 1893. Even way back then people recognized the fragile population. It wasn't until 1953 that public hunts were offered, which raised much awareness and support from sportsmen towards our sheep. It wasn't until 1984 that populations of Rocky's were stable enough to hunt.

I'm glad you gleaned some information from my post, and are trying to use it against me. yes, disease is killing some sheep. kudos to you for reading.

as for amounts of water in Az, you could be right, but i theorize that the water is there, it's just stored behind dams, instead of free flowing into the desert like it used to. but, the bighorn sheep societies, and deer foundations, and ranchers, have made water catchments to replace depleted natural sources, so this is not the issue that it could be.

what you're denying here, is that mountain lions are having a significant impact on current sheep populations is arizona. I'm glad there were millions of sheep in North America. I'm not talking about North America, i'm talking Arizona. Straw man.

Most of the human population in arizona lives in the phoenix and tuscon metro area. So there is a little habitat loss, but if you look at the quality of habitat of the state over all, it's in pretty good shape. Not a lot of urban sprawl in the bottom of the grand canyon.

With current drought conditions, and sinus infections, it behooves us to kill a few lions in sheep areas. There are probably up to 4000 lions in arizona. each adult lions kill 50 deer or sheep a year. if you do the math, it's pretty bleak for sheep. (there is probably 6 to 7 thousand sheep in AZ).

For more boots on the ground info on sheep, visit the coueswhitetail.com bighorn sheep page.

here in arizona we have 3 kinds of sheep, off the top of my head, i'm thinking there are mexicali desert bighorns, nelsoni desert bighorns, and rocky mountain bighorns. While critters aren't as important to me as people, i'd hate to see those fragile populations be depleted.

ride fast. take chances. hope to see you on the trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post

its hard to tell, but does that bobcat have something in it's mouth?

cool pic.

Meatbomb
    A bird.

mtbr member
    Read your link, it echos every other research study that says humans are entirely responsible for the rapid decline of bighorn sheep in Arizona over the last 200 years for reasons previously stated.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Read your link, it echos every other research study that says humans are entirely responsible for the rapid decline of bighorn sheep in Arizona over the last 200 years for reasons previously stated.
    still in deniall about the mountain lions, i see.

maybe you ought to re-read the link. again, you use straw man arguments. in the mid 1800's miners used sheep for food, and killed a few. However, they were quickly protected.

The cause of the current decline in sheep population, is, however, mountain lions, and sinus infection.

You seem to be in total denial of the fact. In fact, the aforementioned sheep transplant, which has nearly been demolished by lions, was a simple effort to transplant them into their former habitat. But since the lion population is somewhat out of control, well, lambchops are served.

I'll admit, the sierra club did stand in the way of water catchment efforts for bighorn sheep, as mentioned on the sight, but for the most part humans have been improving sheep habitat and populations for many generations now.

Accept the fact, lions eat a lot of sheep. The study is on the website. And hunters report outrageous numbers of lion killed sheep each year.

The website does not state that humans are the cause of the decline of bighorn sheep over the last 200 years; maybe 125 years ago, but more recent years have seen humans give tremendous efforts to improve populations, not deplete them.

You are now changing your arguments. earlier it was habitat loss, now it's humans, just so you never admit mountain lions are eating phenomenal numbers of sheep right now.

However, as you have seen, the bighorn sheep society has been improving habitat, and humans have been helping sheep populations for decades.

say it, "a lion ate a sheep today". because it happened. every day you breathe, a mountain lion eats a sheep. You're denying the study and clear information that mountain lions have contributed greatly to the decline in sheep numbers in the last 20 years.

mtbr member
    You are now changing your arguments. earlier it was habitat loss, now it's humans

Um, humans are responsible for habitat loss? And they're not arguments, they're facts.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Not denying there's an imbalance now but again it's entirely human caused. When you helicopter sheep to an isolated sky island you are essentially feeding lions in a zoo. The fact remains that before human intervention there were more lions and more sheep, and a lot more space for them.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Had no idea how many mountain lion sightings there are around central AZ. A few years back, I saw one up by Seven Springs area while on the CC4 trail. I was solo and got pretty worried when the kitty saw me but it didn't seem to care too much. Must not have been hungry or I might have been cougar chow!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Um, humans are responsible for habitat loss?
    The habitat must be falling off the edge of Earth.

mtbr member
    I get accused of being a pu$$y because I like to hike as well as mountain bike (among other things).... I would say if you are afraid of being attacked by a mountain lion while riding, you are definitely a pu$$y...

And yes, for sure there are mountain lions in Browns Ranch/Cave Creek/Seven Springs etc...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    My top 5 MTB fears:
    Driving to the trailhead,
    Riding road to link trails,
    Riding beyond my skill level,
    My own bad judgment,
    Other riders with bad judgment.

Cougars don't make the top 50.
    this ^^^^

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Pepper Spray

Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post

And yes, for sure there are mountain lions in Browns Ranch/Cave Creek/Seven Springs etc...

They turn up just about everywhere, years ago game and fish captured one in my backyard in Litchfield Park.

mtbr member
    Not a fan of rattlesnakes or skunks on the trail...

I'm sure they don't really appreciate our intrusions into their domain either.

mtbr member
    I'm sure they don't really appreciate our intrusions into their domain either.
    Probably not a fan of man but we have every right to be there as they do...

mtbr member
    The outside world is big and scary, you should probably stick to spin class..

Elitest thrill junkie
    not a fan of the wilderness.
    ftfy.

mtbr member
    Umph.. laugh out L

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Unfortunately I have never seen a big cat in the wild and I even tried tracking one once but I lost it. I have come across bears before but never a Mountain Lion. just use common sense when riding and follow the suggestions on how to avoid an attack.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

Lakvoodoo
    I sell these for 9.99. Guaranteed to work!

AZ mountain Lions-rr-cat-detteranthelmet.jpg
    Get Outside!

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by milesofsmiles View Post
    These cats are everywhere and they have undoubtedly watched each of us pass by from their lookout spot on many occasions. Don't be alarmed. Attacks are incredibly rare. You have a better chance of being struck by lightning.

R.I.P. to the rider who lost his life in WA.
    I've been struck by lighting. Who wants to ride in the backcountry with me?

My other ride is your mom
    I do...
    AZ mountain Lions-img_20180420_193821.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Cows kill more people than mountain lions do.
    Been working on exterminating that species my entire life. One tasty burger at a time =)

mtbr member
    epic pic....lol