Az HS Cycling League

AZ High School Mountain Bike Racing!!!

We are working on an exciting opportunity for the development of mountain biking in Arizona. A group of dedicated Arizona mountain bikers has established a league development committee with the hope of winning a spot in the bid process for a National Interscholastic Cycling Association (NICA) High School Mountain Bike Racing League for Arizona in 2013.

NICA

We will be submiting our bid proposal to NICA in mid-May to be awarded a league to begin racing in the fall of next year. We are asking for support from the Arizona mountain bike community by signing our "petition" of support by "liking" us on facebook at:

https://www.facebook.com/ArizonaHigh...tainBikeRacing

By "liking" us, this is one of the better ways to quantify the support for this project under develpment. This number will be referenced in our bid as a measurable support mechanism.

We believe this opportunity is very important for building the future of mountain biking in Arizona. Our goal is developing student athletes as well as life long mountain bikers.

Thanks for your support. We look forward to high school mountain bike racing in 2013!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Great idea! I support you guys in facebook too!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm going to look into it in Canada...................we're always so far behind!
    TS

mtbr member
    My son would love this.
    I'm Free !!! Now what ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Do these races only focus on xc type racing or do they branch out to all types of mountain bike racing? I would love to coach and be a part of this!

Az HS Cycling League
    Currently, the focus is on Cross Country racing. The system that has been established (NICA) and the venues in Arizona are best suited for this type of racing right now. Our focus would be to develop a 4 to 5 race series that covered all of the major metropolitan areas of Arizona including South (Tucson area), Central (Maricopa County region) and Northern Arizona (Prescott/Flagstaff regions).

The support has been very positive and we are looking forward to making this a reality. Please check out NICA (NICA) for more information.
    Support Arizona High School Cycling League in 2013
    www.arizonamtb.org

FKA Malibu412
    Great news for AZ! I love being a part of the new league here in WA as we are in the middle of our 2nd season. Kids are doing great and really digging it.

You might consider posting this over in the High School-NICA Forum.

Good luck with your bid.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Az HS Cycling League
    Thanks for the support. We appreciate it and will do our best to maintain the reputation that all of the other states have built.
    www.arizonamtb.org

Rides the Desert
    This sounds like a great idea. Im a freshman in hs and am already a pretty dedicated mtber. I would love to try some races and find other people to ride with!

Az HS Cycling League
    That what we are hoping. Please tell your friends to check Arizona High School Mountain Bike Racing on Facebook. Thanks.
    www.arizonamtb.org

Az HS Cycling League
    Thanks for the growing support. We have updated the progress on our Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/ArizonaH...tainBikeRacing

We're looking for bike shops who want to support high school mountain bike racing. If you're an LBS owner (or know one) and want to be involved with the league, please let us know and we'll contact you directly. We have multiple pledges of support from shops in the Phoenix area and would like to increase this as well as spread this to other cities in Arizona. This is a statewide effort and we would like our bike shop suppport to reflect that. Again, thanks for your support.
    www.arizonamtb.org

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Wish there was something like this when I was in high school. I raced the MBAA state series from ages 14-16 and it would have been cool to have more competitors and variety of races. Keep up the progress!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    I"m a sophomore and am looking to get my school on board for the 2013 start up. Any tips or resources to get the ball rolling? Anything will help!
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp
    1996 Cannondale F500

Carnivore
    Check out the NICA site. There is a ton of info there. I've just attended a couple of webinars about starting a club and can't believe how well organized NICA is. Really professional organization.

NICA

Az HS Cycling League

Hi KAG5...

The best way is to start on our website, as Mr. monster has stated. There is a tab for starting a team. We would also ask that you fill out our advocate survey on the website. That will get you onto our email list as well as place you on our map. This map helps us get individuals working in the same area connected.

If no one else in your area appears on the map or you have not found anyone else in your area or school that would like to race, please don't be discouraged. You only need one person to have a team. The best avenue would be to look for someone to be your coach. It can be a parent, teacher or friend. They don't need any coaching experience. We will train and certify all of our coaches using the NICA certification.

Please stayed tuned to the website or you can like us on facebook at Arizona High School Cycling League. https://www.facebook.com/ArizonaHigh...gLeague?ref=hl
    www.arizonamtb.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Great Idea!

In the late 90's I was able to start a Mountain Biking Club called "Club Tread" at my high school (Desert Mountain), we grew to be the largest club in the school. We obtained sponsorship from the old Trailhead Sports (next to Target on FLW) and rode weekly as a club, as well as competed in local races together. Year after year our club grew and we were able to attract more students to take up mountain biking.

We had an amazing teacher that rode that was able to sponsor our club. I still today ride with many of the guys that I met from the club and run into them at local races all the time.

It was great fun.

Az HS Cycling League

Thanks Eric

We have been told that Desert Mountain still has a mountain bike club. I would assume the same one possilbly. Very cool to see something you started still running over 10 years later!
    www.arizonamtb.org