Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AZ / HAB Shoes

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

AZ / HAB Shoes

Looking to get a new pair of shoes for xmas. I have some 4 year old Pearl Izumis that have worked OK but are nearly destroyed. They have a super rigid sole and just plain suck for HAB sections of trail as they just slide off the big rocks and chunk that we have here in our backyard.

I was wondering if someone could suggest a more flexible sole type shoe that still has some rigidity and grip that would also be good for HAB in AZ.

I did see the Keen Springwater IIs look pretty good. KEEN Footwear - Mobile

I'm sure there are lots of other options too so throw them out there.

Ahhh the pain....
    Pearl Izumi X-alps are sort of the defacto standard for bikepackers and frequent HABbers. Comfy, yet reasonably stiff for pedaling. Might be some other good options out there, but just haven't heard much info.
    The white and black pro elites also go well with an Imperial Stormtrooper costume at Halloween.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Alive and Lurkin'
    5-10's (any of them)
    Pumpin & Pimpin

Alive and Lurkin'
    5-Ten's (any of them)
    Pumpin & Pimpin

mtbr member
    I wear Shimano MO-87. They're literally the only thing out there that's my size. They work okay to HAB(God knows I'm well versed enough) but it seems like the soles get torn up pretty fast from walking around on the rocks.

mtbr member

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    5.10's and flats.

I am Bob
    I'm a big fan of Specialized Rime shoes for this use. light and stiff enough, but a little toe flex and heel cushion. Really happy with these.
    Specialized Rime Shoes | Bicycling Magazine

kAZ
    mtbr member
    Shimano MT-21s are great for HAB, super durable, and cheap.

Shimano MT21 Mountain Shoes - Normal Shipping Ground

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Pearl Izumi X-alps are sort of the defacto standard for bikepackers and frequent HABbers. Comfy, yet reasonably stiff for pedaling. Might be some other good options out there, but just haven't heard much info.
    The white and black pro elites also go well with an Imperial Stormtrooper costume at Halloween.

+1, got a pair of the Elites under the tree for xmas. have had 2 other pairs and love em.

EDR
    Lake mx165's (don't think they make them anymore) are great. A Vibram sole is what I look for. Lot's of folks like the PI x-alps but they felt horrible on me, so as always..try before you buy.

Just another half mile...
    I agree, the Pearl Izumi X-alps are great for riding tech trails with clipless and great trackion when it turns to HAB an dthey are durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman View Post
    I'm a big fan of Specialized Rime shoes for this use. light and stiff enough, but a little toe flex and heel cushion. Really happy with these.
    Specialized Rime Shoes | Bicycling Magazine
    +1 These shoes replaced my sidi's more comfortable and durable for HAB and they came in size 14!!

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Lake mx165's (don't think they make them anymore) are great. A Vibram sole is what I look for. Lot's of folks like the PI x-alps but they felt horrible on me, so as always..try before you buy.
    Same here, but lately I'm leaning more towards using real hiking boots on flat pedals. The grip and stability of real hiking boots just can't be matched by anything with cleats on it.

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Same here, but lately I'm leaning more towards using real hiking boots on flat pedals. The grip and stability of real hiking boots just can't be matched by anything with cleats on it.
    the firmness and compliant coupling of a bike shoe just can't be matched by real hiking boots.

The question you want to ask yourself is this....am I going to be hiking my bike more than I'm going to be riding it???????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    the firmness and compliant coupling of a bike shoe just can't be matched by real hiking boots.

The question you want to ask yourself is this....am I going to be hiking my bike more than I'm going to be riding it???????
    If that's the case, I suggest some sanitization of the trails being ridden!

parenting for gnarness
    ugh dont do it!
    heavy feet
    toe box too big might bang your frame
    heal will be weird getting in and out of your pedals.
    fabric and laces etc will likely tear in ways that bike shoes wont cause they're not designed for the top-side abuse and hooking on things.

Look more closely at 5.10s if you want to go that route, something that comes up over the ankle. I just got back from a hiking trip where I used trail runners the whole trip, for the first time ever. I've got knee surgeries so always wanted the stability of hiking boots, but historically my ankles have been very strong -- i loved them! way lighter on my feet, and wound up using my legs and core much more to stabilize myself so overall a better workout.

Ask yerself what exactly you want the off-bike goal to be, then work backwards from your choices to what fits a bike.

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by CridgeMTBT View Post
    If that's the case, I suggest some sanitization of the trails being ridden!
    dude, watch your mouth. You've been hanging out with the wrong crowd lately. - rhino

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post

It's a trade-off, that's right. Just having to carry the bike over boulders is enough to make me prefer boots over cleats. Here's a HAB ride that'll put your footwear to the test, it's got everything HAB could include.

Alive and Lurkin'
    It's a trade-off, that's right. Just having to carry the bike over boulders is enough to make me prefer boots over cleats. Here's a HAB ride that'll put your footwear to the test, it's got everything HAB could include.

Is that going up or down Busted Knee?
    Pumpin & Pimpin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanseeds View Post
    dude, watch your mouth. You've been hanging out with the wrong crowd lately. - rhino
    LOL. I Always have! You know I'm just kidding though, I try to get out and ride the rockier stuff on weekends. If it makes a difference, I have asked For the Spechy shoes with Vibram soles as mentioned above for Xmas already. Tried them on in the shop and fell in love.

Give it a crank
    Loop is: Trail 8 > 100 east > Sunset Dr. > Lauretta Ln. > Waterman Ln. > White Dr. > Nonamo up-n-over > 40th St.

I think BK is the one connecting the 40th St. trail with trail 8, didn't do it in this loop.

Alive and Lurkin'
    Loop is: Trail 8 > 100 east > Sunset Dr. > Lauretta Ln. > Waterman Ln. > White Dr. > Nonamo up-n-over > 40th St.

I think BK is the one connecting the 40th St. trail with trail 8, didn't do it in this loop.
    Ok Got it. B-Knee is the trail going up to the top straight up from 40th St., usually referring to just the part between T-100 and the top saddle area. Very Steep and lots o' switch backs, put your Big Boy Pants on for that one...
    Pumpin & Pimpin

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I just got some X-Alps Enduros and I really like them. Plenty pliable through the toes for HAB, yet feel good on the bike. I'm digging the velcro straps and ratchet tightener. They can be nice and snug.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Vitamin Bike Added
    Try 5'10 Minnar if you want a solid HAB shoe for a clipless or platform set-up. The stealth sole is perfect for around here. If you are after the 'kited' look and need ratchet straps, I can't help you out as well.
    Keep the rubber side down

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast