Results 1 to 46 of 46

Thread: AZ / HAB Shoes

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    25

    AZ / HAB Shoes

    Looking to get a new pair of shoes for xmas. I have some 4 year old Pearl Izumis that have worked OK but are nearly destroyed. They have a super rigid sole and just plain suck for HAB sections of trail as they just slide off the big rocks and chunk that we have here in our backyard.

    I was wondering if someone could suggest a more flexible sole type shoe that still has some rigidity and grip that would also be good for HAB in AZ.

    I did see the Keen Springwater IIs look pretty good. KEEN Footwear - Mobile

    I'm sure there are lots of other options too so throw them out there.

  2. #2
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,189
    Pearl Izumi X-alps are sort of the defacto standard for bikepackers and frequent HABbers. Comfy, yet reasonably stiff for pedaling. Might be some other good options out there, but just haven't heard much info.
    The white and black pro elites also go well with an Imperial Stormtrooper costume at Halloween.
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

  3. #3
    Alive and Lurkin'
    Reputation: Jibro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    597
    5-10's (any of them)
    Pumpin & Pimpin

  4. #4
    Alive and Lurkin'
    Reputation: Jibro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    597
    5-Ten's (any of them)
    Pumpin & Pimpin

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eazy_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,564
    I wear Shimano MO-87. They're literally the only thing out there that's my size. They work okay to HAB(God knows I'm well versed enough) but it seems like the soles get torn up pretty fast from walking around on the rocks.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stevland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    602

  7. #7
    sonoranbiker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    462
    5.10's and flats.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chongoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,920
    I'm a big fan of Specialized Rime shoes for this use. light and stiff enough, but a little toe flex and heel cushion. Really happy with these.
    Specialized Rime Shoes | Bicycling Magazine

  9. #9
    kAZ
    kAZ is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    254
    Shimano MT-21s are great for HAB, super durable, and cheap.

    Shimano MT21 Mountain Shoes - Normal Shipping Ground

  10. #10
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Pearl Izumi X-alps are sort of the defacto standard for bikepackers and frequent HABbers. Comfy, yet reasonably stiff for pedaling. Might be some other good options out there, but just haven't heard much info.
    The white and black pro elites also go well with an Imperial Stormtrooper costume at Halloween.


    +1, got a pair of the Elites under the tree for xmas. have had 2 other pairs and love em.

  11. #11
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,081
    Lake mx165's (don't think they make them anymore) are great. A Vibram sole is what I look for. Lot's of folks like the PI x-alps but they felt horrible on me, so as always..try before you buy.

  12. #12
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    962
    I agree, the Pearl Izumi X-alps are great for riding tech trails with clipless and great trackion when it turns to HAB an dthey are durable.


    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Pearl Izumi X-alps are sort of the defacto standard for bikepackers and frequent HABbers. Comfy, yet reasonably stiff for pedaling. Might be some other good options out there, but just haven't heard much info.
    The white and black pro elites also go well with an Imperial Stormtrooper costume at Halloween.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman View Post
    I'm a big fan of Specialized Rime shoes for this use. light and stiff enough, but a little toe flex and heel cushion. Really happy with these.
    Specialized Rime Shoes | Bicycling Magazine
    +1 These shoes replaced my sidi's more comfortable and durable for HAB and they came in size 14!!

  14. #14
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,995
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Lake mx165's (don't think they make them anymore) are great. A Vibram sole is what I look for. Lot's of folks like the PI x-alps but they felt horrible on me, so as always..try before you buy.
    Same here, but lately I'm leaning more towards using real hiking boots on flat pedals. The grip and stability of real hiking boots just can't be matched by anything with cleats on it.

  15. #15
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Same here, but lately I'm leaning more towards using real hiking boots on flat pedals. The grip and stability of real hiking boots just can't be matched by anything with cleats on it.
    the firmness and compliant coupling of a bike shoe just can't be matched by real hiking boots.

    The question you want to ask yourself is this....am I going to be hiking my bike more than I'm going to be riding it???????

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CridgeMTBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    the firmness and compliant coupling of a bike shoe just can't be matched by real hiking boots.

    The question you want to ask yourself is this....am I going to be hiking my bike more than I'm going to be riding it???????
    If that's the case, I suggest some sanitization of the trails being ridden!

  17. #17
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Same here, but lately I'm leaning more towards using real hiking boots on flat pedals. The grip and stability of real hiking boots just can't be matched by anything with cleats on it.
    ugh dont do it!
    heavy feet
    toe box too big might bang your frame
    heal will be weird getting in and out of your pedals.
    fabric and laces etc will likely tear in ways that bike shoes wont cause they're not designed for the top-side abuse and hooking on things.

    Look more closely at 5.10s if you want to go that route, something that comes up over the ankle. I just got back from a hiking trip where I used trail runners the whole trip, for the first time ever. I've got knee surgeries so always wanted the stability of hiking boots, but historically my ankles have been very strong -- i loved them! way lighter on my feet, and wound up using my legs and core much more to stabilize myself so overall a better workout.

    Ask yerself what exactly you want the off-bike goal to be, then work backwards from your choices to what fits a bike.

  18. #18
    Rhino
    Reputation: urbanseeds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by CridgeMTBT View Post
    If that's the case, I suggest some sanitization of the trails being ridden!
    dude, watch your mouth. You've been hanging out with the wrong crowd lately. - rhino

  19. #19
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    the firmness and compliant coupling of a bike shoe just can't be matched by real hiking boots.

    The question you want to ask yourself is this....am I going to be hiking my bike more than I'm going to be riding it???????
    It's a trade-off, that's right. Just having to carry the bike over boulders is enough to make me prefer boots over cleats. Here's a HAB ride that'll put your footwear to the test, it's got everything HAB could include.


  20. #20
    Alive and Lurkin'
    Reputation: Jibro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    It's a trade-off, that's right. Just having to carry the bike over boulders is enough to make me prefer boots over cleats. Here's a HAB ride that'll put your footwear to the test, it's got everything HAB could include.

    Is that going up or down Busted Knee?
    Pumpin & Pimpin

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CridgeMTBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanseeds View Post
    dude, watch your mouth. You've been hanging out with the wrong crowd lately. - rhino
    LOL. I Always have! You know I'm just kidding though, I try to get out and ride the rockier stuff on weekends. If it makes a difference, I have asked For the Spechy shoes with Vibram soles as mentioned above for Xmas already. Tried them on in the shop and fell in love.

  22. #22
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,995
    Loop is: Trail 8 > 100 east > Sunset Dr. > Lauretta Ln. > Waterman Ln. > White Dr. > Nonamo up-n-over > 40th St.

    I think BK is the one connecting the 40th St. trail with trail 8, didn't do it in this loop.

  23. #23
    Alive and Lurkin'
    Reputation: Jibro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Loop is: Trail 8 > 100 east > Sunset Dr. > Lauretta Ln. > Waterman Ln. > White Dr. > Nonamo up-n-over > 40th St.

    I think BK is the one connecting the 40th St. trail with trail 8, didn't do it in this loop.
    Ok Got it. B-Knee is the trail going up to the top straight up from 40th St., usually referring to just the part between T-100 and the top saddle area. Very Steep and lots o' switch backs, put your Big Boy Pants on for that one...
    Pumpin & Pimpin

  24. #24
    Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Reputation: Dag Nabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,938
    I just got some X-Alps Enduros and I really like them. Plenty pliable through the toes for HAB, yet feel good on the bike. I'm digging the velcro straps and ratchet tightener. They can be nice and snug.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

  25. #25
    Vitamin Bike Added
    Reputation: MTBCanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    607
    Try 5'10 Minnar if you want a solid HAB shoe for a clipless or platform set-up. The stealth sole is perfect for around here. If you are after the 'kited' look and need ratchet straps, I can't help you out as well.
    Keep the rubber side down

  26. #26
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibro View Post
    Ok Got it. B-Knee is the trail going up to the top straight up from 40th St., usually referring to just the part between T-100 and the top saddle area. Very Steep and lots o' switch backs, put your Big Boy Pants on for that one...
    Cool, good to know that. The view from the top isn't bad, but the HAB up either side sure is.


  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    25
    Awesome suggestions all around, thanks for the input guys. Now time to do some research from all the great suggestions!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zblee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Lake mx165's (don't think they make them anymore) are great. A Vibram sole is what I look for. Lot's of folks like the PI x-alps but they felt horrible on me, so as always..try before you buy.
    I have these as well and they have worked amazing. i got them off of one of those hourly deals websites for about $40
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  29. #29
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,081
    Quote Originally Posted by zblee View Post
    I have these as well and they have worked amazing. i got them off of one of those hourly deals websites for about $40
    Love these shoes. When the discontinued them I scoured the net even though I didn't need a new pair, just wanted some for the future. All I could find in my size was the bright ugly road racer red color. I ordered those for 60 or 70 bucks and painted them black with a Sharpie

    $60 is a great deal, $40 is amazing. They have similar offerings but with a buckle. I've had bad experiences with the buckle when HAB'ing. It's just begging to get broken and that's what happened to my Specialized BG Comps with a buckle. Plus those shoes absolutely suck for HAB'ing. Climbing up rocks is like skating on ice. Found out the hard way in Moab years ago.

    Vibram soles FTW!!!!

  30. #30
    Chilling out
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,662
    I've had the Lake's in the past and they were okay but not perfect for my feet, the Vibram outsole is nice and very functional though.

    I've worn out two pair of the Keen's ... overall they're nice but the nylon loop that goes around the heel wore out early on both of mine making the heel-hold loose and the sole on one pair split at the cleat.

    I have a pair of 5:10 Impact2 High that I use mostly for DH/FR but can also use for AM with my Straitline pedals ... not as nice for lazy-me for the climbing part but are on-par for general pedalling and pretty much rule in every other situation.

    My current go-to general trail shoes are the Mavic Alpine XL that I started riding just about a year ago. They're dirty as heck, and I had to replace the laces (put in some elastic speed laces) so now they're easy-on easy-off but the soles seem to be holding up well and the uppers are fine. I'd consider them a very strong alternative to the TransAlps. I really like the neoprene collar on the Alpine XL too ... keeps the little stuff from getting in between my dainty feet and the shoe. I'd not mind the sole slightly more stiff though, if you're not running a pedal with a moderate platform to it (say, Candy or so or larger) it'll likely squeak against the pedal in strange ways. Not an issue, just a noise. For example, they squeak when riding my Time XS pedals, but are perfectly fine on both my old Aliums and my Z-Strongs.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,881
    Quote Originally Posted by kAZ View Post
    Shimano MT-21s are great for HAB, super durable, and cheap.

    Shimano MT21 Mountain Shoes - Normal Shipping Ground
    I have some SPD's I got probalby 10 years ago. They look just like these MT-21s. They work great. Very walk able for a mtb shoe and tough enough for most HAB. Not as stiff a sole as maybe some shoes and probably a bit heavier, but they still look like new.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", '06 Rocky Mtn Switch 26" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  32. #32
    kAZ
    kAZ is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I have some SPD's I got probalby 10 years ago. They look just like these MT-21s. They work great. Very walk able for a mtb shoe and tough enough for most HAB. Not as stiff a sole as maybe some shoes and probably a bit heavier, but they still look like new.
    Haha. Well, my bad. I got mine only about 4-5 years ago, but that model appears to be kaput. Mine still look like new also!

    Looks like the MT33 is roughly the same nowadays.

    Shoes

  33. #33
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,046
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Love these shoes. When the discontinued them I scoured the net even though I didn't need a new pair, just wanted some for the future. All I could find in my size was the bright ugly road racer red color. I ordered those for 60 or 70 bucks and painted them black with a Sharpie

    $60 is a great deal, $40 is amazing. They have similar offerings but with a buckle. I've had bad experiences with the buckle when HAB'ing. It's just begging to get broken and that's what happened to my Specialized BG Comps with a buckle. Plus those shoes absolutely suck for HAB'ing. Climbing up rocks is like skating on ice. Found out the hard way in Moab years ago.

    Vibram soles FTW!!!!
    fwiw, i had Lakes like EDR but with the buckle - did not last (for me) anywhere like the X Alps. The x alps soul are still going strong, just over 3 yrs and being in my garage they've shrunk a bit. I am keeping them as backups. The Lakes soul fell wore down and started chunking off. YMMV. Lakes are also a bit heavier, but not to the point of being a dealbraker.

  34. #34
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,081
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    fwiw, i had Lakes like EDR but with the buckle - did not last (for me) anywhere like the X Alps. The x alps soul are still going strong, just over 3 yrs and being in my garage they've shrunk a bit. I am keeping them as backups. The Lakes soul fell wore down and started chunking off. YMMV. Lakes are also a bit heavier, but not to the point of being a dealbraker.
    Ya, I only have experience with the 165's. First pair lasted over 3 years with some shoe goo help towards the end. 6 months on my new pair and they look like new still. Heavy ass shoes for sure but I'm ok with that.

  35. #35
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,995
    The lake shoes I'm real happy with are the MX190X with Vibram soles, haven't tried the other Lake shoes yet but they'll be my first choice next time.

    There's another thread on HAB shoes that's worth a peek too: Best MTB shoes for hike-a-biking?

  36. #36
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,945
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    fwiw, i had Lakes like EDR but with the buckle - did not last (for me) anywhere like the X Alps. The x alps soul are still going strong, just over 3 yrs and being in my garage they've shrunk a bit. I am keeping them as backups. The Lakes soul fell wore down and started chunking off. YMMV. Lakes are also a bit heavier, but not to the point of being a dealbraker.
    Plastic Soul Baby, Plastic Soul!!!!!!

    I too have to agree that the immortal and metaphysical essence of my x alps is still going strong, even though they're looking a bit worn.

    To quote Nietzsche who was a famous mountain biker known for his mental tech riding, "Once the soul of the x-alp looked contemptuously upon the shoe, and then that contempt was the supreme thing: -- the soul wished the shoe lean, monstrous, and famished. Thus it thought to escape from the shoe and the earth. But that soul was itself lean, monstrous, and famished; and cruelty was the delight of this soul! So my brothers, tell me: What does your shoe say about your soul? Is not your soul poverty and filth and wretched contentment?"

  37. #37
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Plastic Soul Baby, Plastic Soul!!!!!!

    I too have to agree that the immortal and metaphysical essence of my x alps is still going strong, even though they're looking a bit worn.

    To quote Nietzsche who was a famous mountain biker known for his mental tech riding, "Once the soul of the x-alp looked contemptuously upon the shoe, and then that contempt was the supreme thing: -- the soul wished the shoe lean, monstrous, and famished. Thus it thought to escape from the shoe and the earth. But that soul was itself lean, monstrous, and famished; and cruelty was the delight of this soul! So my brothers, tell me: What does your shoe say about your soul? Is not your soul poverty and filth and wretched contentment?"
    dude, its a shoe...

  38. #38
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,081
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    dude, its a shoe...
    Now I'm really confused.

    Is it the soul or the sole that lasts really long on the X-Alps?

    Now I'm left only to contemplate which is more important.

  39. #39
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,945
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    dude, its a shoe...
    your point?

  40. #40
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    your point?
    Nietzsche specifically excluded footwear from the will to power.

  41. #41
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,046
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Now I'm really confused.

    Is it the soul or the sole that lasts really long on the X-Alps?

    Now I'm left only to contemplate which is more important.
    while I have over the last 6 months completed converted to a Mac Book and would toss it before my wife into the lifeboat, I fuggin hate its overly suggestive spell-check.

    ok now i get the jokes...heeheheee. well played!

  42. #42
    Over the Hill
    Reputation: dstepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,746
    5 10 also makes clip-less shoes. Cheaper if you are driving thru So-Cal inland empire and visit there factory/outlet.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,982
    chrome

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    I agree, the Pearl Izumi X-alps are great for riding tech trails with clipless and great trackion when it turns to HAB an dthey are durable.
    +1 on these. Clipless, grippy sole for HAB, somewhat flexible but still a stiff pedaling platform, ratcheting top strap, no laces, and breathable. What more could you want?

  45. #45
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,081
    Quote Originally Posted by sloonz View Post
    +1 on these. Clipless, grippy sole for HAB, somewhat flexible but still a stiff pedaling platform, ratcheting top strap, no laces, and breathable. What more could you want?
    The same shoe without the ratcheting top strap, lol.

  46. #46
    ....just cruisin through
    Reputation: dfrazm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    138
    PI X-Alp Enduro III on sale right now at REI for $84. Just snagged a pair. Comfy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •