Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AZ / HAB Shoes

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibro View Post
    Ok Got it. B-Knee is the trail going up to the top straight up from 40th St., usually referring to just the part between T-100 and the top saddle area. Very Steep and lots o' switch backs, put your Big Boy Pants on for that one...
    Cool, good to know that. The view from the top isn't bad, but the HAB up either side sure is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Awesome suggestions all around, thanks for the input guys. Now time to do some research from all the great suggestions!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Lake mx165's (don't think they make them anymore) are great. A Vibram sole is what I look for. Lot's of folks like the PI x-alps but they felt horrible on me, so as always..try before you buy.
    I have these as well and they have worked amazing. i got them off of one of those hourly deals websites for about $40
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by zblee View Post
    I have these as well and they have worked amazing. i got them off of one of those hourly deals websites for about $40
    Love these shoes. When the discontinued them I scoured the net even though I didn't need a new pair, just wanted some for the future. All I could find in my size was the bright ugly road racer red color. I ordered those for 60 or 70 bucks and painted them black with a Sharpie

$60 is a great deal, $40 is amazing. They have similar offerings but with a buckle. I've had bad experiences with the buckle when HAB'ing. It's just begging to get broken and that's what happened to my Specialized BG Comps with a buckle. Plus those shoes absolutely suck for HAB'ing. Climbing up rocks is like skating on ice. Found out the hard way in Moab years ago.

Vibram soles FTW!!!!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I've had the Lake's in the past and they were okay but not perfect for my feet, the Vibram outsole is nice and very functional though.

I've worn out two pair of the Keen's ... overall they're nice but the nylon loop that goes around the heel wore out early on both of mine making the heel-hold loose and the sole on one pair split at the cleat.

I have a pair of 5:10 Impact2 High that I use mostly for DH/FR but can also use for AM with my Straitline pedals ... not as nice for lazy-me for the climbing part but are on-par for general pedalling and pretty much rule in every other situation.

My current go-to general trail shoes are the Mavic Alpine XL that I started riding just about a year ago. They're dirty as heck, and I had to replace the laces (put in some elastic speed laces) so now they're easy-on easy-off but the soles seem to be holding up well and the uppers are fine. I'd consider them a very strong alternative to the TransAlps. I really like the neoprene collar on the Alpine XL too ... keeps the little stuff from getting in between my dainty feet and the shoe. I'd not mind the sole slightly more stiff though, if you're not running a pedal with a moderate platform to it (say, Candy or so or larger) it'll likely squeak against the pedal in strange ways. Not an issue, just a noise. For example, they squeak when riding my Time XS pedals, but are perfectly fine on both my old Aliums and my Z-Strongs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kAZ View Post
    Shimano MT-21s are great for HAB, super durable, and cheap.

Shimano MT21 Mountain Shoes - Normal Shipping Ground
    I have some SPD's I got probalby 10 years ago. They look just like these MT-21s. They work great. Very walk able for a mtb shoe and tough enough for most HAB. Not as stiff a sole as maybe some shoes and probably a bit heavier, but they still look like new.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

kAZ
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I have some SPD's I got probalby 10 years ago. They look just like these MT-21s. They work great. Very walk able for a mtb shoe and tough enough for most HAB. Not as stiff a sole as maybe some shoes and probably a bit heavier, but they still look like new.
    Haha. Well, my bad. I got mine only about 4-5 years ago, but that model appears to be kaput. Mine still look like new also!

Looks like the MT33 is roughly the same nowadays.

Shoes

parenting for gnarness
    Love these shoes. When the discontinued them I scoured the net even though I didn't need a new pair, just wanted some for the future. All I could find in my size was the bright ugly road racer red color. I ordered those for 60 or 70 bucks and painted them black with a Sharpie

$60 is a great deal, $40 is amazing. They have similar offerings but with a buckle. I've had bad experiences with the buckle when HAB'ing. It's just begging to get broken and that's what happened to my Specialized BG Comps with a buckle. Plus those shoes absolutely suck for HAB'ing. Climbing up rocks is like skating on ice. Found out the hard way in Moab years ago.

Vibram soles FTW!!!!
    fwiw, i had Lakes like EDR but with the buckle - did not last (for me) anywhere like the X Alps. The x alps soul are still going strong, just over 3 yrs and being in my garage they've shrunk a bit. I am keeping them as backups. The Lakes soul fell wore down and started chunking off. YMMV. Lakes are also a bit heavier, but not to the point of being a dealbraker.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    fwiw, i had Lakes like EDR but with the buckle - did not last (for me) anywhere like the X Alps. The x alps soul are still going strong, just over 3 yrs and being in my garage they've shrunk a bit. I am keeping them as backups. The Lakes soul fell wore down and started chunking off. YMMV. Lakes are also a bit heavier, but not to the point of being a dealbraker.
    Ya, I only have experience with the 165's. First pair lasted over 3 years with some shoe goo help towards the end. 6 months on my new pair and they look like new still. Heavy ass shoes for sure but I'm ok with that.

Give it a crank
    The lake shoes I'm real happy with are the MX190X with Vibram soles, haven't tried the other Lake shoes yet but they'll be my first choice next time.

There's another thread on HAB shoes that's worth a peek too: Best MTB shoes for hike-a-biking?

My other ride is your mom
    Plastic Soul Baby, Plastic Soul!!!!!!

I too have to agree that the immortal and metaphysical essence of my x alps is still going strong, even though they're looking a bit worn.

To quote Nietzsche who was a famous mountain biker known for his mental tech riding, "Once the soul of the x-alp looked contemptuously upon the shoe, and then that contempt was the supreme thing: -- the soul wished the shoe lean, monstrous, and famished. Thus it thought to escape from the shoe and the earth. But that soul was itself lean, monstrous, and famished; and cruelty was the delight of this soul! So my brothers, tell me: What does your shoe say about your soul? Is not your soul poverty and filth and wretched contentment?"

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Plastic Soul Baby, Plastic Soul!!!!!!

I too have to agree that the immortal and metaphysical essence of my x alps is still going strong, even though they're looking a bit worn.

To quote Nietzsche who was a famous mountain biker known for his mental tech riding, "Once the soul of the x-alp looked contemptuously upon the shoe, and then that contempt was the supreme thing: -- the soul wished the shoe lean, monstrous, and famished. Thus it thought to escape from the shoe and the earth. But that soul was itself lean, monstrous, and famished; and cruelty was the delight of this soul! So my brothers, tell me: What does your shoe say about your soul? Is not your soul poverty and filth and wretched contentment?"
    dude, its a shoe...

EDR
    dude, its a shoe...
    Now I'm really confused.

Is it the soul or the sole that lasts really long on the X-Alps?

Now I'm left only to contemplate which is more important.

My other ride is your mom
    dude, its a shoe...
    your point?

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    your point?
    Nietzsche specifically excluded footwear from the will to power.

parenting for gnarness
    Now I'm really confused.

Is it the soul or the sole that lasts really long on the X-Alps?

Now I'm left only to contemplate which is more important.
    while I have over the last 6 months completed converted to a Mac Book and would toss it before my wife into the lifeboat, I fuggin hate its overly suggestive spell-check.

ok now i get the jokes...heeheheee. well played!

Over the Hill
    5 10 also makes clip-less shoes. Cheaper if you are driving thru So-Cal inland empire and visit there factory/outlet.

mtbr member
    chrome

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    I agree, the Pearl Izumi X-alps are great for riding tech trails with clipless and great trackion when it turns to HAB an dthey are durable.
    +1 on these. Clipless, grippy sole for HAB, somewhat flexible but still a stiff pedaling platform, ratcheting top strap, no laces, and breathable. What more could you want?

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by sloonz View Post
    +1 on these. Clipless, grippy sole for HAB, somewhat flexible but still a stiff pedaling platform, ratcheting top strap, no laces, and breathable. What more could you want?
    The same shoe without the ratcheting top strap, lol.

....just cruisin through
    PI X-Alp Enduro III on sale right now at REI for $84. Just snagged a pair. Comfy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2