Coconino Dirty Century May 23
    Deuces Wild Poker Ride May 30
    Kaibab Monstercross June 13
    Crazy 88 August 8
    Rock y Road 50/50 Oct 17
    Kentucky Camp Epic Dec 12
    PEE 09?

Intermediate-style rides/races Endurance races/rides

Am I forgetting any grassroots races for 2009? We all know when the dates for FOTP/Sqlr, hence their omission. If you look above, I think you will notice that some races are slowly beginning to see more races due to their intermediate-rider appeal. I have added two new races/rides that I have a more intermediates-style to them, the PMC and the DWP ride. The KCE and the Crazy 88 have intermediate options to them. I hope this thread helps gets us all organized [SIZE="6"][/SIZE]

Edit: I deleted the AZSF from the list. See thread below.
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 11-20-2008 at 09:35 AM.

mtbr member
    SSAZ09...Jan. 24th

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by jdub347
    SSAZ09...Jan. 24th
    I will be there on my newly built single speed

Master Gardener
    Is there a hard-and-fast definition of grassroots being used here?

Excellent thread idea.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    A grassroots race/ride is brought about by a local community of riders rather than an organized body. The goal is to race/ride with like-minded individuals that share a common love: the bike. In the past, individuals from around Arizona (Jimmy, Dave, Yuri, Nathan, etc..) have provided cyclists in Arizona the opportunity to test their skills in endurance races/rides. This thread seeks to increase public knowledge of said races and to possibly encourage other individuals to step forward and begin to hold similar style races/rides. Additionally, I think the word underground should also be associated with this thread. If money is taken during the race it is often times just used to go towards trophies, beer and BBQ.

Recently, I have been chatting with some riders about the possibility of starting more grassroots, underground races/rides for intermediate riders. Ergo, I think this thread might be useful for those intermediate riders in Arizona. Basically, we need more races/rides in the state underground or organized, although I find that the later may not be able to make any more races due to the amount of time, money, etc. that is required to put on a big race. That is where we (any cyclist that wants to ride/race more) come in.

Hope that helps.

parenting for gnarness

Excellent thread idea.
    Chad is the authority, but as a dabbler on this scene i'd say: free or cheap, low overhead and commitment, no attitude, supportive and friendly culture, push yourself to your limits, grow as a rider and find strength within yourself. i've been the worst rider in several of these, but still got nothing but good vibes and camraderie from the other folks. If i didn't have family commitments etc., I'd do every one of em.

Saucy Size Moderator
    I am deeply saddened that you list the MTBR Spring Fling as an "opportunity to test their skills in endurance races/rides," Chad. This is not how I've ever characterized the Spring Fling, nor has anyone else in its history.

p.

pedaller
    Wipe your tears Paul and focus on this part:

The goal is to race/RIDE with like-minded individuals that share a common love: the bike

I'd say that the part you quoted would be accurate for the "A" rides but definitely not the overall vibe of the Spring Fling - not even close...

I DO agree that the Spring Fling really isn't in the same classification as Chad's other "killer" rides.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Saucy Size Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    I'd say that the part you quoted would be accurate for the "A" rides but definitely not the overall vibe of the Spring Fling - not even close...
    Do you really read Chad's post as not predominantly talking about endurance racing, Noel? Look at the event list -- does the AZSF not seem out of place alongside the Monstercross, Crazy 88, SSAZ, AZT300, etc.? I mean, in the very first thread Chad explicitly says "Am I forgetting any grassroots races for 2009?"

I'm not quibbling over the definition of "grassroots." He's provided a good one and I can totally get behind it. But we're not talking about grassroots events -- we're talking about grassroots races. Which the AZSF never has been. Is it destined to become a race?

Given the AZSF is an MTBR community event, maybe that's a conversation worth having with the community.

p.

Master Gardener
    That definition would be the same one I have, Chad. And it's the same kind of event I'm interested in being a part of and organizing in our town. Thanks for taking the time to explain. I just wanted to be sure that an event wasn't disqualified from this thread due to a $20 entry fee to cover expenses, insurance, prizes, food, etc.

So basically any ride/event that is unsanctioned and doesn't charge anything other than a nominal fee = grassroots.

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Do you really read Chad's post as not predominantly talking about endurance racing, Noel? Look at the event list -- does the AZSF not seem out of place alongside the Monstercross, Crazy 88, SSAZ, AZT300, etc.? I mean, in the very first thread Chad explicitly says "Am I forgetting any grassroots races for 2009?"

I'm not quibbling over the definition of "grassroots." He's provided a good one and I can totally get behind it. But we're not talking about grassroots events -- we're talking about grassroots races. Which the AZSF never has been. Is it destined to become a race?

Given the AZSF is an MTBR community event, maybe that's a conversation worth having with the community.

p.
    Yes, Chad's post is mostly talking about endurance racing - that's all he ever talks about!
    Yes, the AZSF seems out of place alongside the races.
    No, the AZSF should not be destined to become a race but that IS a conversation worth having.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    I DO agree that the Spring Fling really isn't in the same classification as Chad's other "killer" rides.
    +1. AZSF shouldn't be lumped in with a bunch of (really cool) endurance races. That would imply ownership of the event and I think that sort of defeats the purpose. Someday someone else may be running AZSF anyway...wouldn't want to dilute its meaning by improperly "branding" it as an endurance event, intended or not. Needs to stand alone.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I think all you need to do is be sure to include something like C2C2C in AZSF every year for the hardcores and you satisfy the "endurace racis" side - so long as that A/A ride is stated as a "drop, diligently paced, informal race."

Tucson, AZ
    I am deeply saddened that you list the MTBR Spring Fling as an "opportunity to test their skills in endurance races/rides," Chad. This is not how I've ever characterized the Spring Fling, nor has anyone else in its history.

p.
    Point taken. It was wrong of me to add this to the calendar of a race/ride, however, I do see the AZSF as a grassroots, underground event, no? The goal of this thread was to promote undeground, grassroots events. I clearly was not talking about AZSF when I said the aforementioned thread.

AZSF is a large group ride setting where people from around AZ stop what they are doing to help lead group rides. We all know what MTBR Spring Fling is and has been, grouping it with this thread was to promote it as a grassroots event organized by cyclists in Arizona. Sorry if you thought I was defining it in any other way.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    +1. AZSF shouldn't be lumped in with a bunch of (really cool) endurance races.
    I did not group it with only races, it was also grouped with rides, like FOTP. I wanted to get word out about grassroots events in AZ. I have deleted it from the list.

Saucy Size Moderator
    Well, it's not "my" event at all, Chad. But I have a long history with it, as do many of the long-time posters, so maybe I feel a little proprietary about it. I'm aware of that and trying to remain objective. That said, your first post seemed pretty clearly about listing grassroot races and I didn't want to see the AZSF get co-opted into that category. It's already hard enough to convince the C riders to come out and play with the cool kids! If you start scaring off the B crowd as well, we won't have a Fling any more.

I see you've pulled the AZSF off your list. Hm! Maybe what we need to do is start a second thread of 2009 grassroots festivals? Unfortunately the only ones I, personally, know about are the AZSF and the VRFTF, with some grumblings down south of maybe doing a Tucson event as well. I think the F66 Swap Meet will almost certainly happen again, and the presence of a keg = festival!

p.

Master Gardener
    The "Grassroots Schedule" thread can include events, races, rides and festivals of all types, in my opinion. I don't think people are that easily confused or scared off. Atleast, I hope not.

Tucson, AZ
    I see you've pulled the AZSF off your list.
    I did. I only wanted to promote the AZSF as a grassroots event in AZ. Sorry for the confusion. I agree that the event is not owned by one individual rather we all help out to put it on, just some of us take on the role of organizer each year to be the faciliator for that specific year.

Last year, I led 3 B rides and 2 A rides. Neither were led in an endurance/race style and I hope to do the same this year. Again, I apologize for adding it to the list.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    I did not group it with only races, it was also grouped with rides, like FOTP. I wanted to get word out about grassroots events in AZ. I have deleted it from the list.
    I would add a more distinct line between race and ride under the "grassroots" label. Or maybe even subdivide under race, ride and event. Overall I like the notion of maintaining a list of informal, grassroots-type events. Maybe this should be a sticky?
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Saucy Size Moderator
    The "Grassroots Schedule" thread can include events, races, rides and festivals of all types, in my opinion. I don't think people are that easily confused or scared off. Atleast, I hope not.
    If you're clear about the event you're listing, no, it's not confusing. But listing an open-invite festival-with-rides amongst clearly hardcore race events is IMO confusing. I think Chad did the right thing. Having run and/or volunteered at many events over the years, I've seen just how confused/scared people can be.

I would love to have a sticky of grassroots races, rides, and events on this forum, broken up for easy reading. The only bit of confusion I see would be where a race stops and a ride starts -- FOTP is a "ride" but you definitely know who showed up first.

p.