Thread: AZ Commute Help

Ouch, I am hot!

AZ Commute Help

I need a commuter bike, cheap - $300ish tops. Used is first choice. Any ideas? Shoule I get a road bike, mtn bike, or whatever?

I have commuted in CA before, on a regular Colnago road bike, but never had the need to bring nice work clothing, etc. Will I need/want a bike rack/panniers? Ideas? Thoughts?

Any other thoughts?
    I AM JUST A JERK

workin' it Administrator
    You want gears? or single/fixed?

How long of a commute?

I do 10mi oneway and do it on a cross bike. Drops offer more comfortable hand position options and are narrower for fitting into tight spaces. Canti's are better stoppers over calipers.

I also run a more upright stem on my bike.

I also run cheap ass high volume tires (panaracer urbanmax 700x38c) due to all the detritus in the bike lanes in in SOAZ.

my 2cents.
    Try this: HTFU

I am Bob
    I ride a cyclocross for commuting too. I love it. I added Nitto mustache bars for more hand position options and to be more upright in traffic than drop bars. Center Pull breaks are great for facter stops and are more durable. here's the beast resting in my cube right now!
    it's a Trek xo I bourght mine a few years ago for $450 used. there's a Xo frame on ebay for 200 now.
    I have used panniers, but found them to be too cumbersome IMO. I also have sued a messenger bag, but swtitched to a backpack because of shoulder pain. I keep a shoes stashed under my desk and carry the other stuff on my back.
    It also helps that there is a locker room and shower here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chongoman; 03-07-2007 at 11:43 AM.

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I need a commuter bike, cheap - $300ish tops. Used is first choice. Any ideas? Shoule I get a road bike, mtn bike, or whatever?

I have commuted in CA before, on a regular Colnago road bike, but never had the need to bring nice work clothing, etc. Will I need/want a bike rack/panniers? Ideas? Thoughts?

Any other thoughts?

Since you are a self-proclaimed cheap person consider the following direction:
    1. go on craigslist and find a properly sized steel, lugged road bike from the mid to late 80's wirh horizontal dropouts and pay no more than 75 bucks.
    2. make it a fixed gear with a 44x16 gearing, 700x32 tires, slime & liners (ebay has some excellent choices for an inexspensive set of fixed wheelsets available)
    3. get a rack and a good set of panniers
    4. ride the crap out of it anywhere you want.

I built this for 160 bucks and I ride it on my commute:

i like cheese.
    minus the buttload I spent 'learning' to paint a frame... I went the Yetisurly direction, I spent $35 on a lugged steel frame from Goodwill and another $50 fixing it. However now I am looking at doing a fixed 'cross as a replacement, canals are wonderfully absent of Escalades and their drivers...

workin' it Administrator
    once you go cross you will never go back!

Occidental Tourist
    a cross bike is ok in the cooler months but up here in phx for those of us that have to wear monkey suits, panniers to keep the sweatyness off the back is muy good. if you get a cross bike make sure you don't get heel strike on the panniers since they typically have shorter stays.
    go the craigs list route. you don't have to make the bike a fixie just to be a hipster dofus.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    a cross bike is ok in the cooler months but up here in phx for those of us that have to wear monkey suits, panniers to keep the sweatyness off the back is muy good. if you get a cross bike make sure you don't get heel strike on the panniers since they typically have shorter stays.
    go the craigs list route. you don't have to make the bike a fixie just to be a hipster dofus.

whos the hipster here mr. hipster kniker wearing timbuk 2 hanging alleycat racing ghetto fixie rider?
    we call that being a hypocrite I think.

I ride both the cross bike and the fixed gear thing and I find the fixed to be much more of an efficient machine for the street and paths than the cross ever could be. not to mention it is a lot easier to maintain, it is lighter, it is quieter, it is also very fun.
    Last edited by yetisurly; 03-07-2007 at 12:51 PM.

workin' it Administrator
    my cross bike has really long chainstays. Probably longer than a comparable recreational road bike and more than likely on par with a touring frame. The only thing I could think of that is longer would be an older mountainbike really. An extracycle converted bargin bine bike could be the ticket for monkey suit wearing monkeys.

check out that option too.

i like cheese.
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    The man won't let you wear endura 3/4's to work? Then a freewheel is the only way to go.

Occidental Tourist
    i'm just trying to keep up with the joneses
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    I'd commute with my xtracycle, but it won't fit in the elevators here at work to get it to my office on the 3rd floor.

I'm looking at a Surly LHT. No, not a cheap alternative, but I'll be using it for touring as well. Just got a full pannier set in the other day, I'll probably use just the rear ones for commuting. Backpack in the summer just plain sux...
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

Occidental Tourist
    here ya go
    http://phoenix.craigslist.org/bik/292188319.html
    you can get some complete fixie wheels for a c-note

Not a Barry supporter.
    I miss the commuter days! Now that I have a job with a company car, phone and CC...I can't bike commute anymore. But the days go by so fast!

Go off craigslist and you can get a smokin' deal if your patient.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I do the 'ghetto-cross' thing with a discarded 1981 Nishiki. I swapped out the 27" wheels with 700c and had some canti mounts brazed to the frame (courtesy of Mint cycles). It sports an old compact mountain 175mm Sugino crankset, 35c tires, 105 levers, a nice, wide triple wrapped drop bar with Bonty Buzz-kills and 44:16 freewheelin gears. I've pulled off a couple centuries on it and its great for commuting. The ride is super smooth and its been off more than a few curbs and through its share of potholes without fault. It cruises at about 18mph and tops out about 22-23 on the flats at a rather portly 24lbs.