The Next 100 Miler

Avoid AZ Trail F - Snowbowl Rd to Moto

Went out today to ride the Old Fashion Mt Bike race route. AZT between Snowbowl Rd and Moto is a real mess, several sections are literally a mud bog and unridable.

I got a nice face full of mud when my bike just stopped trying to ride through a section. These are not little puddles, they are 30' - 100' sections with running and standing water with deep soft mud.

Moto also has some very wet, muddy sections and deep rutting, but I got through all of it.

Quite different than AZT from Aspen to 418, rode it Sunday and it was in nice shape.
    Last edited by MarkP; 09-17-2013 at 05:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    thanks for the heads up. Was going to be up there tomorrow and was planning on being on the AZ trail

mtbr member
    Is lower part of Schultz ok? It was a running creek last week.

The Next 100 Miler
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post
    Is lower part of Schultz ok? It was a running creek last tweek.
    Sorry, I didn't ride it today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post
    Is lower part of Schultz ok? It was a running creek last week.
    I counted 15 water crossings on Saturday. And it rained like hell Saturday night after we got back. Schultz might as well be called "Life Preserver" right now, cause you're gonna be swimming.

The Next 100 Miler
    Like I mentioned earlier, park at Aspen corner on Snowbowl Rd and take the short connector trail down to the Arizona trail, turn right (north) and ride it all the way to FS road 418 and then back. I think it is about 18 miles round trip and you won't have better scenery anywhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    Like I mentioned earlier, park at Aspen corner on Snowbowl Rd and take the short connector trail down to the Arizona trail, turn right (north) and ride it all the way to FS road 418 and then back. I think it is about 18 miles round trip and you won't have better scenery anywhere.
    It's more like 6 miles so 12 as an out and back but indeed the scenery and high alpine meadows are about as close to Colorado as you can get in AZ. And really interesting mix of trees if you are into that sort of thing. Bristlecone pine, Southwestern White Pine, White Fir, Doug Fir, and Blue Spruce. Nice variety when just about everything else in No. AZ is Pinus Ponderosa.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

The Next 100 Miler
    You are correct on the mileage. Two beers, a speed training ride and past 9 pm, I was up too late!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    It's more like 6 miles so 12 as an out and back but indeed the scenery and high alpine meadows are about as close to Colorado as you can get in AZ. And really interesting mix of trees if you are into that sort of thing. Bristlecone pine, Southwestern White Pine, White Fir, Doug Fir, and Blue Spruce. Nice variety when just about everything else in No. AZ is Pinus Ponderosa.
    Ha Ha , he said "pinus"!

Huffy Rider
    Just got done riding from aspen corner to bottom of Shultz. A few places had some mud and there were a few water crossings but I wouldn't avoid it. It was like riding on Velcro.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Just got done riding from aspen corner to bottom of Shultz. A few places had some mud and there were a few water crossings but I wouldn't avoid it. It was like riding on Velcro.
    Yes it was. Motochick and mrs. rockman representing. Stellar conditions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avoid AZ Trail F - Snowbowl Rd to Moto-az-trail1.jpg  

Avoid AZ Trail F - Snowbowl Rd to Moto-az-trail3.jpg  

"Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    This is about the only section of mud left of consequence. It's an easy 50 yd walk-around. The section at the top of Schultz Pass is still bad. Avoid that for another day or two if possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avoid AZ Trail F - Snowbowl Rd to Moto-az-trail4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    thanks for the pics. I really wanted to get out there today but had to settle for PMP with the interstate closure.

The Next 100 Miler
    Good to see it is drying out quickly.

I did 418 to Aspen corner again yesterday afternoon, just fantastic. A couple of Aspens are starting to turn colors higher up.

mtbr member
    It's been dry and sunny the last couple of days, with a 0% forecast of rain for the next week. Stuff is going to be good. I badly want to get some, but school and other crap is preventing it. Next week, oh lawd, next week.

Always in the wrong gear
    Easy_E, Just about every Tuesday and Thursday after class I'm out on Elden cruising around. That's the plus side to only having one class this semester.

Schultz looked good all around yesterday top to bottom, even though there were still some puddles it wasn't anything major. Nothing like the mud ponds I ran into on the AZT last week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coondog#77 View Post
    Easy_E, Just about every Tuesday and Thursday after class I'm out on Elden cruising around. That's the plus side to only having one class this semester.

Schultz looked good all around yesterday top to bottom, even though there were still some puddles it wasn't anything major. Nothing like the mud ponds I ran into on the AZT last week.
    I get done at 2 on Tue and Thur. Send me a PM and we'll work something out.