I think I need to Upgrade

Auto A/C Help Needed!!

Does anyone know or have someone that works on auto A/C? There used to be a guy here that had a mobile business (Tim maybe?) but I don't know if he is still around and I think the compressor in my Subaru just seized up.

mtbr member
    Tim is cycle64 now. Try PMing him

Awesome!! Thanks, just sent him a PM.

Shovel Ready
    I'm sure we can help out a fellow rider.

Do you want parts or the full service treatment.

Office number: 602-233-0090 Ask for me but I won't be back in until Monday. If you need a part this weekend, let me know.

I wish it was just parts but I will probably need the full treatment since I don't have the equipment to evac and recharge the system.

My car is a 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i, could you give me an idea how much I would be looking at to replace a compressor? When a compressor seizes does it puke anything into the lines/system?

Shovel Ready
    New Nippondeso Compressor $275.00. Vendor says call on status
    Condenser with drier: $185.00
    Expansion device: $20.00

It is always wise to flush the burnt oil and replace these items if the compressor is toast.

Vendor has the china knock off on the compressor also. If you find a better deal out there let me know, but I only marked it up a little.

Shovel Ready
    Another vendor has the condenser cheaper but only a reman on the compressor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Theres q good chance some metal might have gone through the system. It would probably depend on what comes out of the compressor. For most people I suggest doing more than a compressor. Any auto part place will sell the compressor but I suggest doing a kit which includes the compressor, accumulator/dryer, and expansion valve or orifice. Doing that you can normally get a better warranty on the part which I think is up to a year at some places. Compressor only is 15 or 30days normally. I've seen some of my customer try and do compressor only and end up having the compressor fail a month or to later cause of debris or restriction in valve or orifice and the place that does it won't cover them and they have to pay to have it done over. Also the kit isn't much more normally with additional parts and flush. Just a heads up and hope that helps

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by nmetaz View Post
    Theres q good chance some metal might have gone through the system. It would probably depend on what comes out of the compressor. For most people I suggest doing more than a compressor. Any auto part place will sell the compressor but I suggest doing a kit which includes the compressor, accumulator/dryer, and expansion valve or orifice. Doing that you can normally get a better warranty on the part which I think is up to a year at some places. Compressor only is 15 or 30days normally. I've seen some of my customer try and do compressor only and end up having the compressor fail a month or to later cause of debris or restriction in valve or orifice and the place that does it won't cover them and they have to pay to have it done over. Also the kit isn't much more normally with additional parts and flush. Just a heads up and hope that helps

You are correct on flushing out the debris. We have a closed loop flushing machine.

Parts I listed are the same as a a kit minus the oil and o-ring kit. Year warranty with most vendors. But they don;t cover labor, so it is best to do the job correctly the first time.

ACKITS.com Automotive Air Conditioning Parts & Equipment.: Auto AC Compressor Failure (Black Death)

Shovel Ready