How much further ???

Attempted 4-Peaks this weekend.

Well against some recommendations of not riding up 4-Peaks Rd this weekend I couldnt get the thought out of my mind and had to try it. After having a so so ride the previous weekend and having leg cramp issues I needed to redeem myself and figured go big or go home.

Well after 4 hours and 56 min I made it back from a ride that only a few months earlier I thought would was an impossibility for me to even consider. I took much of the advise from fellow riders from last week an applied it to this ride with great success. The biggest being to not red line on the steep sections and just walk more. Thanks again for all your help.

Oh and I think I understand the recommendation to not ride on the weekend a little better too. Nothing like having some moron with an AR-15 lay their gun down on their tailgate with the barrel pointing straight at you after firing god knows how many rounds at god knows what.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    nice job! how do the legs feel

How much further ???
    On the way up they felt pretty good. I walked a number of times on the last big push up. I found that getting off the bike for a few minutes and walking really was a nice rest. It gave my lower back a nice break and allowed me to stretch out a bit.

I was taking mental notes on the way up on how many downhill sections there were and I knew I still had a fair amount of climbing to do on the return trip. My legs started to feel a little worn out on the way back and coupled with the increasing temps I did get the cramping feeling a couple times but never had a full blown cramp. The next day and today I feel great.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Kathleen in AZ
    Next challenge.... Mt. Ord up the north-side old 4x4 road. 4000' of climbing in 7.5 miles!

nobody
    That's hard core, dude! Nice job.

We did a 3 day backpacking trip that started at the top of 4 peaks rd back in March and on our way back down we passed someone on a pink SS going up with a bandana fashioned as a dust mask. Needless to say I was impressed and I hope he made it up and back o.k.

I think that road would be a good challenge but wouldn't want to attempt on a weekend since there was so much traffic. I wonder if weekdays are any better...
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

How much further ???
    I was at the staging area at 6:05am and took off around 6:20am. I think I got passed by 4 trucks and 2 motorcycles on the entire way up. Everyone seemed very pleasant. Things were a bit different on the way down. Dont think I had one vehicle pass me from behind, but did encounter much more head on traffic and it got worse the closer I got the staging area. Worse was a presumed tourist group of 10 UTV's. No big deal though and luckily there was a decent enough breeze to clear the dust.

My other ride is your mom
    Weekdays are much better for that ride...but since you're on the shoulder season, the amount of vehicle traffic you had would be on the light side of things.....could have been far worse.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    At 60 my next MTB shoe will be darn near a hiking boot with a cleat mount. Who makes that!?
    agmtb

Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    At 60 my next MTB shoe will be darn near a hiking boot with a cleat mount. Who makes that!?
    Pearl Izumi X-Alp Elite

mtbr member
    congrats on the ride, great job... what is the total gain (climbing) of this ride... I am not so sure about the 6311
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

How much further ???
    Yeah seemed higher than Ive seen before but the number came from a Garmin Oregon 400t with elevation corrections enabled on Garmin Connect. Who knows.

mtbr member
    its at least 4500, but probably below 6000, lets say 5200 ... yes who knows.. 5200 is a great workout... more than I have ever done, road or mtn

How much further ???
    Didnt you have a nice ride planned this past weekend? How did that go?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Didnt you have a nice ride planned this past weekend? How did that go?
    ride went well, I hauled too much weight and I should have used my comfy saddle... Ill know better next time...

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    its at least 4500, but probably below 6000, lets say 5200 ... yes who knows.. 5200 is a great workout... more than I have ever done, road or mtn
    5200 was what I have logged, 3900 going up.

How much further ???
    Well I know GPS isn't as accurate for vertical position but 1100 ft off? That's pretty crappy. And I thought the corrections enabled option was supposed to use surveyed data.

From Garmin site:

What are Elevation Corrections?
    Elevation Corrections cross reference the horizontal position (latitude/longitude) provided by the GPS with elevation data that has been acquired by professional surveys. When corrections to elevation data are made, each trackpoint of your activity now contains the elevation from the web service, not the elevation provided by your GPS device.

I firmly believe the error you are getting is more related to the sampling rate of the GPS than the error in vertical position. I ran a test with two same units running at the same time, but with different sampling rates and that accounted for a large delta in total elevation gained on a ride.

To put it another way....if your GPS is set to log an elevation every second vs every 10 seconds, you can just imagine what it misses out on that get's tallied in the total. This is a setting within your options that you can adjust.

mtbr member

Old Geezer Rant

talk about full circle... we spend all this money on digital devices... and still I am using topo maps and a compass to get around... and when it comes to calculating elevation gain it's topo maps, pencil, and a calculator... and yes I have a $350 garmin... which eats batteries like a boa eats mice...

How much further ???
    I dont have the unit in front of me but Im pretty sure I set the rate to "Most Often". The thing is though as the description above says, since Im using the elevation corrections its not even using my GPS data anyway. Odd.

If I shut the elevation corrections to disabled it comes in at 5900 vert. When I was looking at Freeskiers GPX of 4 peaks a few weeks earlier his said 5800 vert.

All in all the exact number isnt that important to me as it doesnt take away from what I know I accomplished. It is however a little disappointing these units can have such massive amounts of error. Ah well.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I firmly believe the error you are getting is more related to the sampling rate of the GPS than the error in vertical position. I ran a test with two same units running at the same time, but with different sampling rates and that accounted for a large delta in total elevation gained on a ride.

To put it another way....if your GPS is set to log an elevation every second vs every 10 seconds, you can just imagine what it misses out on that get's tallied in the total. This is a setting within your options that you can adjust.
    ^this. similar to Maad, I did a ride with 2 gps and got different info.