Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bumble

Attempt at "Which tires" Question

I have been searching the forums for a couple of weeks now. I did not really get a good answer, but with so many variables I did not expect it. I do, however, have some more experience on my present tires and if my observations make sense, maybe I can get some recommendations to think about? I ride SOMO mostly (Javelina, Mormon, National), also T100, Hawes, McDowell Mts. I am 150 lbs, I ride a Iron Horse Hollowpoint MK 3 with DW-Link that I like. Recently wore out Weirwolf tires, 2.35. I am running Weirwolfs, new ones, 2.1 size, and I have them at F/R 25psi/29psi, tubes. Now I am washing out constantly, front tire squirms, took off some skin on a curve that I would never have fallen on before. I am riding more aggressively now, but not at all racing level. Is it the new Weirwolfs, or the size change that may be causing my problems? They do not feel at all secure any more like the old ones. I want uphill traction, I am not very concerned about speed, but my speed on Desert Classic and McDowell Mt is causing me to gain scars. I don't do real DH, but I do like the downhills on Mormon and National, but I don't drop more than 1-2'. Help??
    To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

mtbr member
    tire size. 2.35 is as small as I would go for where you ride. I like 2.5's better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bumble View Post
    I have been searching the forums for a couple of weeks now. I did not really get a good answer, but with so many variables I did not expect it. I do, however, have some more experience on my present tires and if my observations make sense, maybe I can get some recommendations to think about? I ride SOMO mostly (Javelina, Mormon, National), also T100, Hawes, McDowell Mts. I am 150 lbs, I ride a Iron Horse Hollowpoint MK 3 with DW-Link that I like. Recently wore out Weirwolf tires, 2.35. I am running Weirwolfs, new ones, 2.1 size, and I have them at F/R 25psi/29psi, tubes. Now I am washing out constantly, front tire squirms, took off some skin on a curve that I would never have fallen on before. I am riding more aggressively now, but not at all racing level. Is it the new Weirwolfs, or the size change that may be causing my problems? They do not feel at all secure any more like the old ones. I want uphill traction, I am not very concerned about speed, but my speed on Desert Classic and McDowell Mt is causing me to gain scars. I don't do real DH, but I do like the downhills on Mormon and National, but I don't drop more than 1-2'. Help??
    Are you left handed, or right handed?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

bumble
    Sounds about right, tmarkos. I wonder if anyone has experience with the Geax tires, or Maxxis? Or should I just stick with larger Weirwofls? I think the larger Weirwolfs are pretty heavy, now.
    To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

bumble
    I am ambidextrous, but I lean heavily toward right-handed.

mtbr member
    Sounds about right, tmarkos. I wonder if anyone has experience with the Geax tires, or Maxxis? Or should I just stick with larger Weirwofls? I think the larger Weirwolfs are pretty heavy, now.
    I've been riding maxxis for the last 10 years. No plan to change.

Shovel Ready
    I mostly ride the PMP area.

2.4 PURGATORY GRID UST up front.

2.3 ESKAR2 GRID UST out back.

Great combo for me. Weight more than you. Ride a Specy Enduro tubeless.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

bumble
    tmarkos, which Maxxis? so many models!

bumble
    Cycle64, thanks. The pattern here looks like mine go back and I get larger size.

mtbr member
    Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 rear, Maxxis minion EXO front. I have yet to try a WTB or any other tire that stands up to the variety of our terrain (hawes ball bearings to SoMo chunk), as well as the Maxxis..

mtbr member
    Sounds like the issue is the width. Rim width plays a part in how the tire will profile from edge to edge. I would measure your rim width at the inside of the beads (preferable if the tires are off-but outside is doable too) and compare that along with what tire size and style others recommend.

Changing tire brand/tread pattern/volume/size etc also affects your suspenion settings too. You may want to play with that a little. I know it sounds hokey-but this is all taken from the motorcycle world where I learned a lot as a racing tire vendor a few years ago. Other factors to make your head spin is sidewall contruction/stiffness etc.

My choice on every XC up to 4 inch bike I have ridden thus far is Maxxis Larsen TT, Ignitors (on front only for me) and High Rollers (especially on my old 29'r). I weigh anywhere from 140-155 over the years, ride pretty quick and technical, but am a "floater" and not a "basher" allowing me to run a 2.1 in the front and 2.0 in the rear without pinching or tearing on tubeless setups. If you can't tell- I kind of geek out on bike setup! Great setup can make a great rider awesome and overcome many of a bike or riders other shortcomings.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Maxxis are amazing tires.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

bumble
    supermoto,
    So the minion EXO is more of an all-mountain than a DH? I have been looking at the Ignitor. What size up front?

bumble
    cstem,

Geeking out on setup is what I want. Thanks! See, that is what gets me. You like the Ignitor up front, supermoto likes it on the rear. (Don't go there ). There are so many combos I could try, just not so much $$ to do it with!! I think I am more of a floater, but I also need a lot of work on getting better, too. More riding!! I will check out the Larsen, and the High Roller already has a great rep!!

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Panaracer Rampage 2.3 up front always for me. I love that tire! Knobby and solid. You can hardly kill it doing XC. I can put about 1500 miles on one tire. For the rear, Exiwolf/Wolverine have been fine, but I also liked the GEAX Saguaro and Specialized Fast Track - they looked pretty similar, but wore much faster than the Rampage - probably only 800 miles or so. They climbed just fine for me. SoMo is my home mountain, and where I ride the most.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I think the larger Weirwolfs are pretty heavy, now.
    I agree. But maybe that makes them safer?

Try a 2.5 Maxxis Minion DHF EXO (60A durometer) up front, and a 2.35 Maxxis High Roller I in back. Maxxis tires are skinny(except for the Ardent), so don't worry about those big numbers.

I've even seen recommendations to run two Minion DHF's. For where you ride, I would consider that. I'm in this camp:

tire size. 2.35 is as small as I would go for where you ride. I like 2.5's better.

Shovel Ready
    A 2.5 Maxxis is like a 2.3 Specialized. I have yet to find a Maxxis tire that is the actual size they claim.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Take all tire advice with a grain of salt. You have no idea if that person rides like you or has any idea what they're talking about. That said, I just started running Larsen 1.9 in the rear, switching over from Weirwolf 1.9. Been running Larsen 2.35 up front for a year, very good for me. For the record, the micrometer says the front is 2.29 and the rear is right around 1.80. So they are a little smaller than advertised. I ride a lot so I rarely pay over $30 for a tire. Buy some different ones on sale and try em out. Everyone I race motorcyles with loves Maxxis Desert IT's but I can't stand them on my bike. Don't know why, they just don't work for me. You never know til you try it for yourself.
    a real Dirkbag!

mtbr member
    Donrasti is right on there. Individual techinique is as big a factor as anything.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    While it's true that tires are personal, I think you'll see a trend with riders on similar trails: Maxxis and/or Specialized. Personally, Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 Exo 3c on the front; either Ignitor LUST 2.35 or High Roller LUST 2.35 on the rear.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    I mostly ride the PMP area.

2.4 PURGATORY GRID UST up front.

2.3 ESKAR2 GRID UST out back.

Great combo for me. Weight more than you. Ride a Specy Enduro tubeless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    A 2.5 Maxxis is like a 2.3 Specialized. I have yet to find a Maxxis tire that is the actual size they claim.
    +1...Couldn't agree more...EXACTLY...etc, etc.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

Pivotal figure
    I have to throw my $.02 in and suggest my current setup, selected for performance/cost/longevity. I run Kenda tires on all my bikes, main setup is a SB8 DH casing on back (2.35) with a Nexcavator up front (also 2.35). Hooks up amazingly well and the Nexcavator has saved me from more "oh crap" moments than I care to admit. FWIW, I got to try out the Weirwolf when the TCS casing was being released and I really liked it in the loose, gravelly stuff but it kinda suffered in the embedded rock sections. I think it's one of the best tires out there but not necessarily for our conditions here. Oh yeah, while my setup works great for me here in Phoenix it was downright scary in Flagstaff! Rear wheel needed something more aggressive (Excavators are my "Go To" tires for that)
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

bumble
    Wow. This is all very helpful!! And I knew up front that different riding styles will get different results, but I kind of needed a place to start, and this is a great place to start! I am definitely ditching the 2.1's, as I did feel better with the 2.35, but I know things will change when I go to a new tire. I will be looking at sales for the next few days to pick up something new. Also, I want to go tubeless as I know I want to air my tires down, because that has worked well for me in the past. Just getting too many pinch flats with more aggressive riding. I think I may try some Maxxis tires, and look for some others on sale to try. Looks like a busy summer!

mtbr member
    Lot's a great advice here. personally, I ride minion DHF on front and rear. They're a bit heavy but I don't ever flat and that's more important to me.

I love bike!
    Another +1 for Minion DHF. I actually use it for a rear tire and it hooks up nicely in our conditions. I run a Speshy Butcher in front which is pretty much a replica of the DHF. Seems like lots of manufacturers have a twin for the DHF and I think there's good reason for that...it works.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast