Thread: Asu

mtbr member
    May 2008

Asu

I am looking at colleges at the moment and I was wondering what type of bike would be best suited for the tempe area? I am not picking colleges because of the mountain biking but I my summer job will either let me buy a DH bike or upgrade my current MKIII with talas 36.

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tnickols
    I am looking at colleges at the moment and I was wondering what type of bike would be best suited for the tempe area? I am not picking colleges because of the mountain biking but I my summer job will either let me buy a DH bike or upgrade my current MKIII with talas 36.
    If you are just looking to get around campus and Mill I would say a cheap BMX bike (200 or less). It will get stolen and really gears are overkill for a campus rig. Besides the small size is good for weaving in and out of the crowded walkways you will take to and from classes. I used one and it worked out great.

If you buy anything of value make sure you keep it up in your room. Don't ride it to class and lock it up outside... again... it will get stolen. Keep your good ride for good rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    A shorter longboard that you can take INSIDE of the class with you works well.

Get a sh!tbag bike if you plan on locking it on campus.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    sorry for not making myself clear but I was wondering what type of trails are around the tempe/pheonix area and what type of bike would be most suited to these trails. I already have a singlespeed that i plan to bring for getting around campus, wherever i go.

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tnickols
    sorry for not making myself clear but I was wondering what type of trails are around the tempe/pheonix area and what type of bike would be most suited to these trails. I already have a singlespeed that i plan to bring for getting around campus, wherever i go.

Are you going to have transportation?

If not there really isnt too much close by unless you don't mind riding on the road for 6 or so miles each way.

Papago is the closest to campus but is very small and easy trail system...

South Mountain is the closest real trail system and a very good one at that but you will be busy roads for 6 or so miles to get there. South Mountain has it all, from easy XC routes without much climbing to long tech climbs and tech downhill decents... Really its has something for every on and every bike.... If I had to bring one bike it would be be a short travel full or a good geared hardtail but that's because of the type of riding I like to do... There are plenty of DH guys around here that would disagree.

mtbr member
    South Mountain is sick, tons of different terrain and can take years to master the whole mountain and it's relatively close to ASU. You'll need to ride the mountain with your current setup to best determine what bike or upgrades you'll need. I've ridden SoMo on 4", 5", 6" and 8" travel bikes over the last 8 years and currently ride a 6"x6". It's purely an individual choice.
    There’s a lot of riding out here beyond SoMo though. Take the weather into consideration also, as it gets really hot out here and take a while to acclimate to the summers. Anyways, hope that helps? Later Jeff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpowers
    If I had to bring one bike it would be be a short travel full or a good geared hardtail but that's because of the type of riding I like to do... There are plenty of DH guys around here that would disagree.
    Not true.

Something versatile is good for South - a full on DH bike is overkill unless you are doing DH runs every weekend. For just trail riding, a nice HT or a short travel FS is perfect.

DC was great fun on my Fat Chance HT. You can HAUL.

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Not true.

Something versatile is good for South - a full on DH bike is overkill unless you are doing DH runs every weekend. For just trail riding, a nice HT or a short travel FS is perfect.

DC was great fun on my Fat Chance HT. You can HAUL.

Some people only like to DH (or like it so much better than anything else)... they would choose a DH bike first. That's all I was saying.

mtbr member
    If you're in Tempe you'll probably be riding SoMo and Papago. I'd upgrade your current bike with a burly fork. If you don't want to ride the road to SoMo you'll be able to take a bus near the entrance rt 92 will get you close and save your legs for the mountain.

May 2009
    If you bus it Phoenix Mountain Preserve isn't far either...

dirt debutaunte
    If I was limited to a quiver of one, I would get a 6&6" all mountain bike.

I have a freeride and trail bike, and unless I am shuttling I find my 5" Stumpjumper is ideal. There are definitely some trails out here that beat the crap out of the suspension though (Holbert), hence the 6" envy.

You can find all types of trails in the Phx area. Depends on where you move from....but I think (just a guess) you'll find yourself riding bigger and more technical after being here a bit.

May 2009
    To answer your original question....

Your MKIII with talas 36 should be more than enough bike for most of the trails in the area.

I would suggest you go tubeless with sealant or tubed with sealant as one of your upgrades. Also make sure you can carry plenty of H2O and have gear for the elements. Save your summer money for beer, at ASU you're going to need it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Your bike is fine. There's something here for everyone. If you're coming from a different climate, or if you've never ridden in AZ, you'll be in for some surprises the first time you ride National or Mormon...

And, yeah, save your money for booze and food. Nothing better than, say, 8 post-ride beers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hook up with the ASU cycling team. The meetings are low key and usually fun. They have a road/mtn/tri club. Also, go to the bike co-op and ask them when they make their monthly orders with QBP. You'll not believe what price students get...insane.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Your MK3 with Talas 36 will be a perfect bike for AZ. If I'm not mistaken, that bike is 5"...but it's on the burlier side of 5" bikes. My Motolite is a 5" bike too, and when I was checking out the MK3 a few years ago, I distincly recall it being a little heavier and stouter than the Titus ML. If that is the case, it will work just fine on *most* of South Mountain. Some of the gnarlier trails, such as Alta and Holbert, will tax that bike...but you can still make it down.

My suggestion is to possibly upgrade your wheels & brakes and other bits instead of getting a new bike.

AZ beats the crap out of wheels, so you want something on the tough side. We also like to run F-A-T rubber out here, so a skinny rim is gonna suck. Go for something big, like a Stans Flow, Mavic x23, Velocity Blunt, DT 5.10, etc.

You also want strong brakes, especially since the downhills here can be long and the weather can be hot (not a good combo for brakes).

Anyway, I hope you don't mind getting paint chips and dings all over your bike. A few rides out here and your bike is gonna get pulverized. But you're in good company, because every other bike out here looks like sh!t too.

Thx...Doug

Members who have read this thread: 0