Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I am Walt

To the ASSHATS who destroyed desert and built two jumps off Quartz in the McDow

...I dismantled your work. Don't do it again...it's a DESERT PRESERVE!! If you have any questions, I'm happy to give you my phone number or meet you in person to discuss it.

I've been riding in the Preserve for 11+ years, and that's the first time I've seen this. I found these going down Quartz, just past the steeper parts towards the top:
    First jump, after I dismantled it and blocked it
    To the ASSHATS who destroyed desert and built two jumps off Quartz in the McDow-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370718352.374387.jpg
    Closer shot; I then smoothed that all out
    To the ASSHATS who destroyed desert and built two jumps off Quartz in the McDow-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370718443.391013.jpg
    From the other side; you can really see the damage...right through the bushes
    To the ASSHATS who destroyed desert and built two jumps off Quartz in the McDow-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370718493.690596.jpg
    Second jump and cut-through
    To the ASSHATS who destroyed desert and built two jumps off Quartz in the McDow-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370718567.057818.jpg
    Closer view
    To the ASSHATS who destroyed desert and built two jumps off Quartz in the McDow-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370718586.591202.jpg
    Other side; shows the damage
    To the ASSHATS who destroyed desert and built two jumps off Quartz in the McDow-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370718625.257948.jpg
    Dismantling #2
    To the ASSHATS who destroyed desert and built two jumps off Quartz in the McDow-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370718667.107799.jpg
    To the ASSHATS who destroyed desert and built two jumps off Quartz in the McDow-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370718683.941075.jpg
    To the ASSHATS who destroyed desert and built two jumps off Quartz in the McDow-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370718697.741303.jpg
    Done, but look at the damage. I should have blocked it off more, which I'll do next time. If someone gets out there, please build up a barricade.
    To the ASSHATS who destroyed desert and built two jumps off Quartz in the McDow-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370718777.191040.jpg

Very sad...I hate to see this in the Preserve I love.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

aka Diesel

Chick in the background looks entirely unconcerned.

Bet you it's rebuilt within the week.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Meatbomb
    The preserve peeps need to know about this.

I am Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    The preserve peeps need to know about this.
    They do...tkm on here is on my Strava, and a bike patrol steward...he's on it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

livin' the dream......
    Philbo - I am a MSP Bike Patroller and I've let the Patrol Lead as well as the city of Scottsdale staff know about this too. This is the crap that we mountain bikers are constantly defending against, even if was neighborhood kids who built this, we will be blamed as a group.

Waltaz & CoyoteKis, thanks again for the photos and the impromptu trail work!!

If it was a mtbr who built these, and you happen to read this, your jumps will constantly be torn down, I promise. Stop destroying the preserve.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Walt a year ago I noticed a couple kids out there with a camera, a spesh demo and an sx trail. These were the same ones that built the jumps off Gateway south/west of the Paradise cutoff. Wouldnt doubt if these were the same. They come from lower paradise

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Turned a little jump in to a little bunny hop. I liked the buffalo stance chick though. Well done.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Give it a crank
    You rock!

mtbr member
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

aka Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    You rock!
    Smiling and nonplussed? Hey, all I needed was a lawn chair, beer, and some popcorn as I watched Walt do work ;-)
    Those jumps came between me and pool time! *grr*

mtbr member
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

parenting for gnarness
    good job backing up your critique with more than words. Must confess I am of mixed minds cause I would love some b-lines in the McDs, and given all the houses, development, off-trail hikers, and trailheads the damage is not a big deal in comparison. But Walt and Tjkm make good points about the Preserve, and a proper b-line should not cause damage or spider trails. At least these jumps have clear lines-of-sight, the ones on Bell were into some corners which is just dangerous.

I think some decent B-lines could be made at the very bottom of Quartz where it cuts through the golf course. There are some small natural cliffs there along with some slope for speed, easy loop back to the top, water from the golf course, and its just a scar of a cut-through anyway so its not causing damage and probably no one would care. If you see the builders, maybe politely suggest that or some better alternatives. Gotta at least appreciate how the local kids feel about wanting different variety in their neighborhood -- I feel the same way .

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    good job backing up your critique with more than words. Must confess I am of mixed minds cause I would love some b-lines in the McDs, and given all the houses, development, off-trail hikers, and trailheads the damage is not a big deal in comparison. But Walt and Tjkm make good points about the Preserve, and a proper b-line should not cause damage or spider trails. At least these jumps have clear lines-of-sight, the ones on Bell were into some corners which is just dangerous.

I think some decent B-lines could be made at the very bottom of Quartz where it cuts through the golf course. There are some small natural cliffs there along with some slope for speed, easy loop back to the top, water from the golf course, and its just a scar of a cut-through anyway so its not causing damage and probably no one would care. If you see the builders, maybe politely suggest that or some better alternatives. Gotta at least appreciate how the local kids feel about wanting different variety in their neighborhood -- I feel the same way .
    Maybe the trails are not meeting the current growing demands for more challenging and creative trail building? I'm just playing devils advocate here.

Elitest thrill junkie
    IDK, but I'm going to do some more pull-ups!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

My other ride is your mom
    stuff like that down on the flats is local kids on huffy's....seen it in other places too...they never last long because they're pretty crappy and poorly thought out, but ugly nonetheless. Good on you for for killing the lines.

It would be another thing however, to see some tabletops coming off of Windgate on the east side, straight line descent.......that would just be irresponsibly rad.....kinda like when after the snowpacalypse, someone built a kicker off the cornice into Rustler and folks were hucking their meat in clear sight of folks riding the lift....that was also irresponsibly rad.

EDR

Re: To the ASSHATS who destroyed desert and built two jumps off Quartz in the McDow

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    IDK, but I'm going to do some more pull-ups!
    Better include some pushups.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    stuff like that down on the flats is local kids on huffy's....seen it in other places too...they never last long because they're pretty crappy and poorly thought out, but ugly nonetheless. Good on you for for killing the lines.

It would be another thing however, to see some tabletops coming off of Windgate on the east side, straight line descent.......that would just be irresponsibly rad.....kinda like when after the snowpacalypse, someone built a kicker off the cornice into Rustler and folks were hucking their meat in clear sight of folks riding the lift....that was also irresponsibly rad.
    "irresponsibly rad" is my new favorite thing to say.

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    I figured as much

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I figured as much
    Bwahahahaha!

mtbr member

A b-line should be just that, a line. A complete spur and not just a jump off to the side on a multi use trail. They should be marked so that hikers and wimps don't stray onto them either!

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    to be soon followed by blogging about one's radness.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Better include some pushups.
    Not as important for my rock climbing, but I still do em. It's Fing amazing what my core-work has done for my mountain biking, as I just started back up riding 2 weeks ago.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Those jumps are just plain dumb. Thanks Walt!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis View Post
    Smiling and nonplussed? Hey, all I needed was a lawn chair, beer, and some popcorn as I watched Walt do work ;-)
    Those jumps came between me and a QOM on strava! *grr*
    Fixed your quote for you.

aka Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath View Post
    Fixed your quote for you.
    What's Strava?
    *head tilt*

;-)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast