Thread: Arrggg Blue!

The Most Interesting Man
    Jul 2009

Arrggg Blue!

I have a haro x1 frame that I upgraded the rear shock to a fox float and the fork to a marzocchi 888 dual crown. I know it may seem odd to have an air shock with a downhill fork but it works, im always on a budget, and it feels pretty good. I also upgraded the bars, front wheel, and tires. Everything is mostly on a budget.

The frame is silver and blue and to be honest....I HATE BLUE on my bike. Id like to strip it of paint to just be silver but I dont know the best way to go upon that and how difficult it is.

Anyone have suggestions?
    I Like Dirt.

dirt visionary
    time consuming.........tear it down . every last bit . Get some aircraft paint remover from autozone and spray away. Wear gloves scrape off paint reapply . keep going till its clean.

for a more step by step instruction. Use the search button and search for works finish, stripping paint ect.

You kids need to start using the search more.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

CAB
    mtbr member
    I hear urine takes the paint right off.
    "You have a cough? Go home tonight, eat a whole box of Ex-Lax, tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough."

dirt visionary
    oh and one other thing to watch out for.........when you really start riding hard becareful as you WILL rip that headtube right off that bike and hopefully not hurt yourself too bad.

An extra 40mm over the recommended max fork size is bad news on the headtube.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tannerdrummer
    I have a haro x1 frame that I upgraded the rear shock to a fox float and the fork to a marzocchi 888 dual crown. I know it may seem odd to have an air shock with a downhill fork but it works, im always on a budget, and it feels pretty good. I also upgraded the bars, front wheel, and tires. Everything is mostly on a budget.

The frame is silver and blue and to be honest....I HATE BLUE on my bike. Id like to strip it of paint to just be silver but I dont know the best way to go upon that and how difficult it is.

Anyone have suggestions?
    As others have said, chromo just us a paint stripper available from Home Depot, jasco, citrus stripper, etc.

Aluminum is a whole 'nother ball game so to speak, I would search the forums for an appropriate product and its availability etc. Standard strippers can damage the aluminum and make it weaker.

Finally as clockwork said, that is a lot of load to put on that head tube, and could result in some serious injury should it fail. If $$$ are an issue you might want to check out the freeride/dh hardtails available that could run that fork and everything else on the frame without damaging your wallet or your face in the process.
    Try this: HTFU

The Most Interesting Man
    Jul 2009
    I actually never knew that was a problem...
    I Like Dirt.

dirt visionary
    yup a good one too. My sx can run a 178mm max front fork and if I out a 888 on it I would snap the head tube right off with the way I ride. I have also seen pictures of that failure also.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by tannerdrummer
    I actually never knew that was a problem...
    What is the recommended travel for the front of that bike? For what its worth, the 888 you have is the 170mm version, not the 200mm like most 888's. That being said, even though it's less travel, it's still a pretty tall fork (axle to crown). It might be a good idea to find out the max A2C height that Haro recommends for that bike and measure the A2C on the 888........in the name of safety.
    JRA

dirt visionary
    max A2C on that bike is 545mm recomended is 525mm. that 7" 888 is 575mm

mtbr member
    wow that is a big dif! You could look at selling or trading that 888 for a nice single crown FR/DH fork.

As for stripping the paint just fall more.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

The Most Interesting Man
    Jul 2009
    What would be a good FR fork for that bike that would fit properly but still have a good feel and enough travel.
    I Like Dirt.

dirt visionary
    fox36 of some sort, lyric,wotan, marz 55

The Most Interesting Man
    Jul 2009
    Hey clock, jw, how do you feel about the bike I currently ride, figuring I change the fork to a fox36 or to simliar ?
    I Like Dirt.