mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Arizona Highways article on the AZT

Anyone see this??? There was a nice section about the founding father of the AZT that was done prior to passing away. A little blurb about mountain biking in there. I can't remember exactly how it was worded, but he eluded to the crazy dedication of a mountain biker that carried his bike across the grand canyon because of the no bike rules. Is that Scott or have there been others that have done this?

Thought it was also somewhat ironic that the next article was on a guy that overcame breaking his back to be able to hike mt. kilamanjaro with a hand powered quad bike sort of thing. It was about how he overcame restrictions to do amazing things...but if i understand it right he would not be allowed to "hike" through any wilderness area of the AZT including the grand canyon.

mtbr member
    That sounds interesting, I would have loved to have caught that.

I may not know what I'm talking about but I think there have been 5-6 who have done the canyon carry now. And interestingly enough, there have been 3 in the past month, 2 AES racers/ITT riders and the guy from Germany who is currently undertaking a Mexico-Canada bikepacking trip who just did it a few days ago. He actually posted a week or so back in here.

Everything I know though I got from lurking around the forums at http://bikepacking.net, especially the AZTR discussion thread in the ultra racing forum.

Scott in Tucson
    Yeah, 5 people have done the carry now. 2 more this year. (German dude cheated by pushing his bike which is a no-no)...

I think Dave Hicks (who I think wrote the article) was referring to me. At least that's what he told me. I'd love to see the article, I suppose I can probably find it around town somewhere. Thanks for the post, I'd forgotten about it.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by campy3
    Thought it was also somewhat ironic that the next article was on a guy that overcame breaking his back to be able to hike mt. kilamanjaro with a hand powered quad bike sort of thing. It was about how he overcame restrictions to do amazing things...but if i understand it right he would not be allowed to "hike" through any wilderness area of the AZT including the grand canyon.
    That's Greg he rides at Robles a lot, the Camero loop and Baby snakes trails were built for him basically.

I think the Americans with Disabilities Act trumps the Wilderness Act here's one example of wheels rolling in the canyon http://www.alpenglowadventures.org/

Even though it might be legal I doubt any hand cyclist will be able to negotiate the full AZT too much of the Wilderness stuff is too steep and hard to even walk. I know Greg can ride some steep stuff but he needs more width and steep side slopes mess with him. I know he has rolled it at Robles, no biggie there, but that wouldn't work up on Oracle Ridge.

Thanks for the post I'll keep my eye out for the article.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

rip the line
    Jun 2006
    Did that guy say, big tall crazy massocist fella? Likes to pull his pubic hairs out one by one and drinks turpentine as a chaser to his motor oil shot. Eats hot ice popsicles and habanero peppers for dessert. Scott is one of my mountain biking heroes for sure. Hell of a rider and great for the sport and all around good friend.
    "I tried to live always free and above board like you" Cool Hand Luke