Kathleen in AZ

Anyone want to trade CK headsets?

I bought a rootbeer brown Chris Kings headset for my new bike. It's an awesome color but now I wish I had bought red. Anyone have a red CK that doesn't quite go with their bike and they were wishing they had bought the rootbeer?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Have you considered selling it? I say this because you're running a pretty long axle-to-crown if you have a 29er with "long travel" up front, and CK headsets do not do very well with long axle-to-crown forks/situations. I'd highly suggest something that uses a compression ring (pretty much every other headset in existance).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

EDR
    I'd bet you'll get near full value for it on Ebay. A few year back I sold my CK for 80 bucks. It was already a few years old and I think I paid 90 bucks for it.

Root beer brown might be a deal killer though, lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    I'd bet you'll get near full value for it on Ebay. A few year back I sold my CK for 80 bucks. It was already a few years old and I think I paid 90 bucks for it.

Root beer brown might be a deal killer though, lol.
    Last I saw the Chris King Headset Index was around ninety dollars.

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2008...cling-and.html
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

banned
    Sep 2005

If blue works....

I've got a blue one with a 12mm ano blue CK spacer that I just took off. I'll probably sell it for $75 + shipping if that helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I bought a rootbeer brown Chris Kings headset for my new bike. It's an awesome color but now I wish I had bought red. Anyone have a red CK that doesn't quite go with their bike and they were wishing they had bought the rootbeer?

Hey DG, I don't have red but do you have any interest in either a black or polished?

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Have you considered selling it? I say this because you're running a pretty long axle-to-crown if you have a 29er with "long travel" up front, and CK headsets do not do very well with long axle-to-crown forks/situations. I'd highly suggest something that uses a compression ring (pretty much every other headset in existance).
    I chose CK just because I like to keep the same headset on all my bikes so that the forks have identical crown races and are easily interchangeable. What do you mean by CK "not doing very well"? I am unaware of this problem and am curious. My longest 29er fork which is on the new bike is a 150mm travel.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    I've got a blue one with a 12mm ano blue CK spacer that I just took off. I'll probably sell it for $75 + shipping if that helps.
    Blue definitely does not work but thanks anyway!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2
    Hey DG, I don't have red but do you have any interest in either a black or polished?
    Either would look better than the brown. Are you interested in a trade?

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    I have a Red that is a little older, I sent it back to CK for new bearings and top/bottom caps... it remains in the baggie that it came in. I"ll trade it if you want....

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by jperson
    I have a Red that is a little older, I sent it back to CK for new bearings and top/bottom caps... it remains in the baggie that it came in. I"ll trade it if you want....
    Hmmm... that's a definite maybe! Aren't you in Tempe? Maybe we can meet up this week. Unless of course Jayem convinces me that CK won't do the job...

mtbr member
    Either would look better than the brown. Are you interested in a trade?

If the trade for jp's red headset does not work out shoot me a PM and we can work out a trade.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    Hmmm... that's a definite maybe! Aren't you in Tempe? Maybe we can meet up this week. Unless of course Jayem convinces me that CK won't do the job...
    I'm in ahwatukee... not far from you're area. I work around here too...so you're welcome to take a look at it anytime to see if it'll work.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by jperson
    I'm in ahwatukee... not far from you're area. I work around here too...so you're welcome to take a look at it anytime to see if it'll work.
    Cool! I'm heading outa town right now but will be back tomorrow. Maybe we can hook up tomorrow afternoon? Or any time during the week... I'll be in touch!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Unless of course Jayem convinces me that CK won't do the job...

Jayem is referring to the top race on a CK. The one that says "Chris King Nothreadset" on it. See the o-ring embedded into it? That is there to take place of the split/compression ring used on most every other threadless headset out there. The o-ring allows for a slight amount of movement of the steerer in the headset, and todays modern long travel forks put a lot of stress through leverage on the headset. 29er forks in particular have a A-C measurement of close to that of a long travel 26er. For example, a Reba 29er set at 100mm has the same A-C height as a Pike 130.

By not using a split ring/compression ring CK can avoid having to pay Cane Creek a royalty for using the Aheadset patent. However on long A-C forks this can lead to "galling" of the steerer tube, leading up to grooving and damaging the steerer and possibly failure. Add to this a slack HTA and some rough usage and the leverage and forces increase!

While this design worked flawlessly for a decade plus, todays longer A-C forks put more leverage/stress on the design than was ever intended. It wasn't all that long ago when the the old RS SID was referred to as a "all mountain" fork, and some of us (probably you too) remember the old RS SID XL (the double crown DH version).

While forks/frames and other components have improved and changed designs over the years, the trusty CK headset is still the same basic design from the 90's. Some people have gone one step beyond and modified their CK headsets to use a compression ring.

Think of it like an old Cannondale Super V. A superb bike back in its day, but up against todays bikes, it leaves a lot to be desired.

You'll most likely be fine with a CK, I like CK headsets for the most part, but I believe this is the point Jm was trying to make.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Funboarder: Nice explanation I replaced a 130mm fork with a 160 on a bike that has a CK headset on it, and after reading through this post I got worried and started checking into it. The most I could find was that with long travel forks the headset would loosen and start to creak, and also score the steerer tube on the fork. Your post explained the reasoning behind this phenomenon very nicely. Now I am thinking of putting one of these FSA Pig DH Pro headsets on there instead and using the CK for my next SS or XC build. For $35 it seems like a pretty good headset, and it gets good reviews. Any one have any experience with these?

.G.
    "Doing the right thing" is like water. It's good for all living things,and flows without thinking about where it's going.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    actually, I have one on my GT 29er singlespeed. Its a freakin tank of a headset, but super stout and heavy duty. No issues whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Nice! I don't mind it being heavy, my bike already weighs about 36 lbs, a few more ounces won't matter much. My CK isn't giving me any trouble, but for $35 I think I will replace it just for the peace of mind. Thanks!

.G.
    "Doing the right thing" is like water. It's good for all living things,and flows without thinking about where it's going.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainflow
    Nice! I don't mind it being heavy, my bike already weighs about 36 lbs, a few more ounces won't matter much. My CK isn't giving me any trouble, but for $35 I think I will replace it just for the peace of mind. Thanks!

.G.
    You'll appreciate the burliness of this headset, especially the lower bearing. It reminds me a lot of the old Race Face headsets with the huge bearings in them.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Kathleen,

Get a Cane Creek 110. It is what I should have put on my El Guapo instead of the Chris King. My Chris King creaks sometimes when I take some bigger drops or hit a step. I got caught in the bling factor and didn't do my due diligence to find this out about CK headsets and long travel forks until after I got a few creaks.
    Last edited by PrincipalRider; 07-05-2009 at 12:57 PM.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Kathleen, there are other solutions though. Some people have found a way to use compression-rings on the CK headsets, but the easiest/simplest solution is to use a CK lower cup/race, and then something else for the top. Then you get the best of both worlds, easy compatability between your bikes, and no creaking/scoring/loosening. This will probably become more mainstream (different top/bottom parts) as the 1.5 tapered forks/frames/headsets get more popular.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Kathleen, there are other solutions though. Some people have found a way to use compression-rings on the CK headsets, but the easiest/simplest solution is to use a CK lower cup/race, and then something else for the top. Then you get the best of both worlds, easy compatability between your bikes, and no creaking/scoring/loosening. This will probably become more mainstream (different top/bottom parts) as the 1.5 tapered forks/frames/headsets get more popular.
    Compression ring? waddya know... Thanks to Jayem and Funboarder for the headset 101 class and perhaps I've found a reason why all my 29er front ends have creaks? Josh says to go with the Cane Creek 110... my brief reading on the subject looks like that one will do the job on my Lunchbox. Any other suggestions?

And let me rephrase my original question.. Anyone want to BUY a rootbeer CK headset??

Just Joshin' ya!
    When I was looking at headsets, the dudes at slippery pig recommended the Cane Creek 110 or the CK. They both were very nicely made pieces. THe 110 was a bit pricier than the CK but it has a 110 year warranty....In my mind, it is the best headset going right now. I am way over the Chris King bling factor after getting the creaks.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971

Jayem is referring to the top race on a CK. The one that says "Chris King Nothreadset" on it. See the o-ring embedded into it? That is there to take place of the split/compression ring used on most every other threadless headset out there. The o-ring allows for a slight amount of movement of the steerer in the headset, and todays modern long travel forks put a lot of stress through leverage on the headset. 29er forks in particular have a A-C measurement of close to that of a long travel 26er. For example, a Reba 29er set at 100mm has the same A-C height as a Pike 130.

By not using a split ring/compression ring CK can avoid having to pay Cane Creek a royalty for using the Aheadset patent. However on long A-C forks this can lead to "galling" of the steerer tube, leading up to grooving and damaging the steerer and possibly failure. Add to this a slack HTA and some rough usage and the leverage and forces increase!

While this design worked flawlessly for a decade plus, todays longer A-C forks put more leverage/stress on the design than was ever intended. It wasn't all that long ago when the the old RS SID was referred to as a "all mountain" fork, and some of us (probably you too) remember the old RS SID XL (the double crown DH version).

While forks/frames and other components have improved and changed designs over the years, the trusty CK headset is still the same basic design from the 90's. Some people have gone one step beyond and modified their CK headsets to use a compression ring.

Think of it like an old Cannondale Super V. A superb bike back in its day, but up against todays bikes, it leaves a lot to be desired.

You'll most likely be fine with a CK, I like CK headsets for the most part, but I believe this is the point Jm was trying to make.
    This is so true , the old CK headsets really do not work well for the way we ride today .
    I have modded acoupple CK head sets to use a split ring , but you are better off using a more modern updated head set for the way we ride today !!
    Good write up funboarder --------

Saucy Size
    Compression ring? waddya know... Thanks to Jayem and Funboarder for the headset 101 class and perhaps I've found a reason why all my 29er front ends have creaks? Josh says to go with the Cane Creek 110... my brief reading on the subject looks like that one will do the job on my Lunchbox. Any other suggestions?

And let me rephrase my original question.. Anyone want to BUY a rootbeer CK headset??
    No kidding! Great protip, Jm EDIT and funboarder!. I have a Cane Creek on my Kona Explosif 29er and it's quiet as can be, while the CK on my RIP bugs the everliving crap out of me. Stoopid overpriced CK!

I wonder if 29ers really should look at using deep-cup AM-style headsets as a matter of course?

p.

mtbr member
    You think there bad with a 29er fork, try using one with a duel crown!! No more Bling King for me!!

Eating meat is murder, yummy yummy murder!!

sixsixtysix
    I run a 1.5 King with a dual crown, and know quite a few guys who do also.

Then again, I also cracked the upper reducer ring on it the first weekend at Sunrise

Edit:

DurtGurl, you may want to look at the Cane Creek 110 headset. Super blingy, available in colors and nicer than Kings, plus they come with a 110 year warranty (hence the name).
    Last edited by sixsixtysix; 07-06-2009 at 03:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Mabye the 1.5 reducers help, but the 1 1/8 that was on my old GT was hell!!

Eating meat is murder, yummy yummy murder!!

Kathleen in AZ
    Anyone want to buy a rootbeer CK headset before I put it up on ebay? I bought a black Cane Creek 110 and installed it today. Thanks for the info and recommendations everyone. We'll see how the front end creaking goes on the Lunch Lady and then maybe I'll go with the same for all the other 29ers. My pretty Salsa is making all sorts of ugly sounds.

Speaking of the Lunch Lady, she's all packed up and ready to travel next Saturday!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    ... split ring ... pixels ... this is the point Jm was trying to make.
    i'd love to see some real stats on this.

i had a std ck headset put on my squishie in June of '03, with a 130mm fox fork. Rode the crap out of it until 07 when it all came off the fox and a marz 66 sl1 was put on in place. same crown race. i've been riding the crap outta that. nil issues. I guess I just got lucky.

what's the "failure" - squeaking? - or a real material fail?

My other ride is your mom
    headset discussions aside.....I'm just loving that wonderful pack job and case....very nice!

Shred...it's the new drug
    D.G....Nice box. very clean and smooth and tight Have fun!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0