DFL>DNF>DNS

New question here. Anyone using a Selle Anatomica saddle??

So I may break down & buy myself an early Christmas present, I'm tired of being mocked by Ray/Jeff because I have gorilla tape on my saddle........for years!! Anyway, I've been poking around some seat reviews lately and the Selle's seem to be very popular for comfort over the long haul and they happen to be on SALE, $99 for any seat right now!! I'm considering the Titanico X based on the saddle comparison chart.

I realize that seats are very different between riders, what I am wondering is if anyone has any issues with the leather seat in our hot climate & super rough terrain. I've been using a WTB Laser for 3+ years and it is showing some wear in the back by the seams. I did tear the nose about 2 years ago when the bike fell on some rocks, hence the gorilla tape. I like my WTB, but on the multiday bikepacks I do tend to get a tad sensitive down there, even some of the AES rides that run longer than 10 hrs start to give me issue.

I would think a leather seat could handle the abuse, but I thought I'd ask around.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Kontact saddles are also on sale now for $110. You can try one for 30 days, and if it doesn't fit right, return it, if undamaged, for a full refund, (less shipping). The Store: Kontact

I've never tried one myself, but am about to.

Huffy Rider
    I have 8 of these saddles, in a variety of colors. I love them. Mine are the older ones, before the "X" and what not. I had one on my MTB for a while but it was too long and I kept getting hung up on it in the tech stuff, which is mostly what I ride. I run a WTB Deva now and it hurts like he!!......compared to the SA's. If you are ever up this way, Verde Valley area, I would let you try one. I have a few sitting around waiting for frames to be built up.

Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    So I may break down & buy myself an early Christmas present, I'm tired of being mocked by Ray/Jeff because I have gorilla tape on my saddle........for years!! Anyway, I've been poking around some seat reviews lately and the Selle's seem to be very popular for comfort over the long haul and they happen to be on SALE, $99 for any seat right now!! I'm considering the Titanico X based on the saddle comparison chart.

I realize that seats are very different between riders, what I am wondering is if anyone has any issues with the leather seat in our hot climate & super rough terrain. I've been using a WTB Laser for 3+ years and it is showing some wear in the back by the seams. I did tear the nose about 2 years ago when the bike fell on some rocks, hence the gorilla tape. I like my WTB, but on the multiday bikepacks I do tend to get a tad sensitive down there, even some of the AES rides that run longer than 10 hrs start to give me issue.

I would think a leather seat could handle the abuse, but I thought I'd ask around.
    New saddles are a really tough thing. I've got a WTB Rocket V, which works just fine for me. Tried a Selle Italia once - felt like sitting on a brick. However, Nancy won't ride anything other than a Selle.

I could loan you one of Nancy's Italias if you want to try before you buy.

Got a suspension fork
    Selle Italia and Selle Anatomica have no relation.

I too use a WTB Rocket V and find it wonderfully comfortable on the MTB, though it didn't work for me on the road bike.

John, I ran a Brooks for quite a while which is similar to the Anatomica without the 'jewel relief' and I wouldn't do it again. I found it to be a neat saddle, but very heavy, and more reliant on the frame of the saddle than a modern plastic/carbon type saddle. I would bend the frame of the saddle when my bike went down. Too heavy, not tough enough.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've been using one for several years now. I couldn't be happier. I find it 10 fold more comfortable than anything Ive ridden before. Like anything else, it has its drawbacks though. It is a long saddle and a little wide in back. This may be in issue if you ride very technical terrain when you need to get back behind the saddle often. It is also a bit heavy, weight weenies beware. I'm 230lbs and I've yet to bend the rails.

mtbr member
    A friend and I ride the Brooks Swift and have for about 2 years now. Both of us came off WTB Rocket V's. No problem in the AZ heat or Colorado wet.

After the first week of riding, with no issues, we did SSAZ. After that ride everything EXCEPT our butts hurt!

I was amazed that there was no break in time needed. We switched on the advice of some friends at Black Sheep that swore by these saddles. I have heard that other Brooks saddles take a break in period, but not the Swift. Don't know why that is.

FYI - I broke a rail on mine after 1 1/2 years and had to go back to a WTB Rocket. It felt like a rock! Brooks replaced my saddle without any hesitation. I would by another in a heart beat.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    If you click the "store" tab on their website, Selle Anatomica shows the NSX, which they say is their mountain bike saddle. It has no slot. Has anyone tried this one?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion_ View Post
    If you click the "store" tab on their website, Selle Anatomica shows the NSX, which they say is their mountain bike saddle. It has no slot. Has anyone tried this one?
    Thanks all for the input.

Centurion, I was in contact with the vendor via email y'day as well and he recommended the NSX over the Titanico X to me. More durable and he said if I tried it and didn't like it I could send it back & they'd cut a slot in it like the Titanico, but noted that no one has ever taken him up on that offer.

The extra weight of these saddles isn't a concern for me. I rarely do DH's that require a full tuck behind the seat too, so the wider saddle isn't an issue either. If I have to get behind the seat that much to ride something, I'm probably walking anyway or I'll drop the post.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    I've had a SA Titanico [their road saddle] on my SC Nomad for 5yrs. Works great. I can ride 10hrs without special bike shorts and the saddle has taken a lot of abuse.

My GF just ordered one on the $99 sale for her MTB.

My SA saddle tips:

1 - use permanent loctite to keep saddle tension bolt from de-tensioning. Nothing bad happens, but you'll have to pull out the multi-tool and reset it once in a while.

2 - if you get any squeaking a drop on lube at the front of the saddle where the tensioning bolt lives will cure it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Selle Anatomica Titanico X on my road bike.

WTB Laser on my MTB.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Pulled the trigger on the TruLeather Titanico NSX, I'll report back after a few long rides.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Called the sales office last night. Doris called me back this morning. She says they plan to continue their $99 dollar sale to the end of the year. This is for all their saddles.

You can't even buy a used one on ebay for that price, so this is a great deal. Still would like to demo one first, but, may just do this anyway.

_________
    On edit...I ordered one this afternoon. Thanks for all the info everybody.
    Last edited by Centurion_; 12-13-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: update

mtbr member
    Saddle arrived on Monday. Haven't put it on the bike yet. This may just work. (It is heavy). But heavy is ok if it does what it's supposed to.

Freeskier?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Yeah, mine came in on Tues. Took a while to get it set up & I only rode around the block a few times. It's different for sure, but I think it'll do the trick after it molds to my backside! Unfortunately as I was riding around, my front wheel was really making all sorts of clanging noise. I figured my bearings were shot & my wheel needed a true, so I put it on my stand and discovered my hub was cracked all the way through!!

The seat sure looks good!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    I got mine last night and mounted it on the bike but I need to make a few adjustments. I haven't been able to take a ride with it just yet. I'm hoping to try it out tomorrow and Sunday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just pulled the trigger on the titano x for the road bike. I've been struggling to find a saddle that works for me on the road bike. I'll post results after a few rides.

mtbr member
    I've been on a Selle Anatomica/Brooks knock-off for almost a year. The Gyes, Gyes GS-06H Black Leather Racing Bicycle Bike Saddle, is cheaper and has held up admirably. It is a tank and I expected to switch to a lighter saddle for Tour of the White Mtns and AES Kentucky Camp rides but couldn't find any that matched the comfort level.
    At some point I'll have the Gyes as my daily driver/training saddle and a lighter one for events and/or nasty weather.
    Cheers,
    M

Huffy Rider
    There is just no feeling like having tensioned leather in between your legs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

I Really like my NSX for my Mountain Bike

I got the original Titanico approximately ten years ago, the first year they were on the market and love that saddle, very comfortable and still in very good condition. When I wanted a saddle for my mountain bike touring build project I snagged one of the NSX on sale for $65. Although it makes some squeaky creaky sounds I don't really mind and will wait to see if it goes away as I'm still breaking it in. I have tried lots of different saddles over the years and I really like saddle from Selle Anatomica.
    Selle Anatomica Titanico NSX Mountain Bike Saddle Review, *by Rideon - Bike Tourings
    Anyone using a Selle Anatomica saddle??-1681351_orig.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biketourings View Post
    Although it makes some squeaky creaky sounds I don't really mind and will wait to see if it goes away as I'm still breaking it in.
    My Titanico squeaks....it's from the metal bits at the nose rubbing/moving. SA provided some nylon washers to prevent it [and I assume install the same washers on new saddles] I found they didn't work. A drop of oil keeps it quiet for a decent amount of time. I could probably take it apart and install a DIY bit of thicker material to stop it longterm, but I've too lazy so far!.

Nice looking saddle enjoy.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Ok, I've done a handful of 50+ mile rides now & can say I'm happy with the purchase. I think I need to ditch the baggies for the really long days however. I've heard it before and am becoming more convinced the extra seems are providing a bit of discomfort 8+ hours in the saddle. For me, I think I need to break down & get a professional bike fit, something's not quite right. Not sure if it's a fine adjustment in saddle position or handlebar height/width, but my right hand tends to go numb rather quickly. I've tried a few different grips including Ergon's and the issue still persists. One more thing to save my pennies for....
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    ...ditch the baggies for the really long days...? Ride naked?

Try lycra first. Just a suggestion. Your friends will forgive you.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle